Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
When Leia rams the First Order fleet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GYB1neCEic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

when's our hollywood gundam movie goddammit

The og Gundam Trilogy would be perfect in the right hands, god darnit.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmSsiVvf_XM

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I can't wait for the Dance Battles.

poo poo, when is The Last Laser Master coming out!?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Yaws posted:

Bongo Bill often retreats into this idea that the prequels are hated by fans solely because they simply failed to deliver what fans were expecting. This whole idea hinges on the fact that the Star Wars prequels offered some radical departure from the OT and fans just weren't ready for it. It's a loving pretentious, naive and easily dispelled notion. The prequels were amateur hour from the first film from top to loving bottom. From a writing, directing and acting standpoint. And this carries throughout the entire PT.

But he'll never acknowledge this. It's because the Prequel didn't met EXPECTATIONS.

Unfortunately for you, Bongo Bill is 100% right.

Well, 90%, the Prequels are also not as good as the OT. Still good, not as good, but somehow this is worse thanks to overhype and sky-high expectations leading to a completely irrational backlash that lasts to this day.

As proof, people who discover the Star Wars prequels without baggage usually don't have the same weird hatred. They either liked them or didn't like them like normal movies.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Wandle Cax posted:

The backlash may be irrational but more irrational is the bizarre reverse backlash where people say they are really good

Not really. The average audience reaction when the movies came out was that they were decent enough, if a bit disappointing due to being more flawed than the originals. This is historical fact, thanks to audience appreciation polls and general records.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Luke will lead the Jedi counter-reformation, training Jeduits, while Rey will eventually lead a true Jedi Reformation.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

We can all agree that Sheev is the best Star Wars character.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I love the scene in the crashed Star Destroyer, which reminded me a lot of the wrecked ship at the end of the Valerian comic Empire of a Thousand Planets.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Once it was pointed out that none of the racist caricatures in the prequels are actually racist caricatures, they're just people with accents, I can't unsee how weird the reaction to them is.

No, seriously. People just really hate accents.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Gonz posted:

McG is going to direct the IG-88 movie.

I'd actually watch it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Bombad-class Star Destroyer

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

He sould have gone for Kamille instead.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

Please, Kylo is the most likely person in this series to be crippled and kicked down a cliff.

Actually, thinking about it, if Kylo is anyone from Gundam, he's Hathaway.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Schwarzwald posted:

I was about to ask which AU has him live and his father die when I realized--this is it.

His name is Kylo Ren
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCBMar9GE5c

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Pops Mgee posted:

https://twitter.com/cnbcnow/status/927604378013446144

Could this mean we finally get that unaltered OT release?

Monopolies are bad.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

UmOk posted:

Lol. Disney can buy the whole world and make it a theme park where you have to pay to breath the air as long as I can finally watch A New Hope without 2 seconds of CG Jabba.

Imagine if no copyrights.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Cross-Section posted:

Time to dust off those Underworld scripts!

God I wanna read those scripts.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Gonz posted:

Luke likes dogs. He also likes caravans.

Well, he is the twelfth Imam currently in occultation.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

JazzFlight posted:

Han's dialogue with Lando in RotJ is sooooo drat corny and out of character, though. I hate how soft they made him in that film compared to his sarcastic persona from the first two.

I guess being pseudo-dead for a year softened him up.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

viral spiral posted:

Does anybody think the upcoming ESB remake has the potential to be the fist film to make $1 billion domestically?

Still won't beat Gone With the Wind.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Teek posted:

Bought some bananas today. Thought of you guys.

Ah, the white slavers Lucas was talking about.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Hmmm... so those comments sort of point away from his trilogy being a prequel. I am wondering if it will be some sort of side story set after the sequel trilogy.

Snoke came from the unkown regions. Maybe they could do something similar to outbound flight project... send a probe into the unkown regions trying to find out more about whatever snoke is after the events of the sequel trilogy.

A few centuries later, the Republic has gone full Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Hahaha, yes! Yes!!!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

69% of people are traitors to the Republic.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Here's mine:

Jedi Party
The Friend Zone
Revenge of Middle Management
Laser Moon Awakens
Attack of the Phantom Past

And hopefully The Last Laser Master.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm suddenly full hype again.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Turns out I was right about the next movie having a Reinforce Jr rams the Zanscare fleet moment. Huh.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Now I also see a parallel to After War Gundam X, with D.O.M.E. saying that "Newtypes are an illusion" being similare to Luke rejecting the old Jedi ways.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Am I the only one who wants Ron Howard to narrate Solo?

SOLO: I got thrown out of the academy for having a mind of my own.
NARRATOR: Actually, he had been thrown out for drunkenly crashing a ship into the barracks.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I prefer the old Eu: as terrible as it got, it almost never failed to be interesting. While the new one is mostly boring. Also I prefer the overall arc up until the end of the Yuuzhan Vong invasion, as it did have Luke try to make a new Jedi Order free of the mistakes of the old one, a New Republic that took more than a Death Star to kill and an attempt at a new villain instead of Palp 2.0.

Of course, Canon is a lie and no one should care about continuity.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Teek posted:

Hahah, what? I'm guessing you never read Dark Empire. Or Dark Empire II, or Empire's End...

I'm talking about the Vong there, with the NJO being the equivalent timeline-wise to the new trilogy.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Who was that again? I haven’t read these books since 8th grade (but I did read all of them)

Onimi, the Supreme Overlord's jester, turns out to be a disgraced shaper who gave himself force powers and was manipulating everything from behind the scenes.

Unlike Palpatine, who was ambitious and evil, he was motivated by saving his people from what he saw as their doom. A different kind of evil.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Ingmar terdman posted:

I have read that Lucas spent some time lorebuilding and writing a kind of cliffsnotes quasi-EU that ended up on a lot of toy boxes and card backs etc. Although it could have just been stuff from his notes for the movie - I've never seen an actual thing like "here's scans from the notebook where Lucas wrote up backstory". It's the kind of stuff that people have just seemed to know over the years (like Han rescuing Chewie etc.). Some of that stuff probably ended up in the Foster book.

Weirdly they are reviving Mimban in some form for Solo. The planet from the book they wrote as a backup sequel in case they couldn't buy Harrison back.

Bribing Harrison Ford To Come Back For Another Star War is actually a longer running issue in the franchise than bringing balance to the Force lol

Yeah, Lucas would come up with lore and backstory for toys and stuff on the fly, as well as weird names like Elan Sleezebaggano.

I remember his original backstory for Han Solo had him being kidnapped as a kid by space gypsies, rescued and raised by Wookies, joins the Imperial Academy, gets thrown out for crashing a ship during a stupid bet, becomes a smuggler and saves Chewbacca from slavers. That's from memory so not necessarily accurate, I couldn't find a good summary of the original Lucas backstory before the EU.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Ema Nymton posted:

It's also odd to me how TPM establishes that Anakin was Space Jesus, but after that this fact becomes less and less important, to the point that I don't think Luke and Leia ever actually find out that they're 1/4 divine. In the current canon, we know Snoke wanted Kylo Ren for his delicious Skywalker blood and he overtly tells Kylo that Han Solo is the weaker part of him, but it's not clear if Snoke knows about the Skywalker divinity. I don't know if we'll ever hear anyone reference Vader's miracle birth ever again, even though it's really weird that no one cares about that.

I like that. That knowledge was lost forever with the destruction of the Jedi and the fall of the Empire.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I wish I could go to the Auralnauts ep 6 screening in New York

:same:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Really, the Resistance should have been full of aliens, but no, everyone was a human except the token alien who boosts Poe's ego.

Last Jedi did everything it could to make me hate the Resistance, and succeeded.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I wanna read the scripts Lucas wrote for his live-action series. No way they're using that for Favreau's.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Statism isn't a real thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

See in the old EU these things would have been in some long drawn out side story involving at least one new Death Star level superweapon, someone from the Mos Eisley Catina, and possibly Boba Fett.

Dumber, yet also funnier.