Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

ungulateman posted:

what the gently caress

You see this is all explained in the Legends canon where the bartender overcomes his discrimination against droids once he meets a food processor droid that grinds up the dead alien in his bar and uses the extract to make a pretty sweet cocktail, which is only slightly more ghoulish than the real-world Sourtoe cocktail that contains a real frostbitten human toe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Pollyanna posted:

Honest to god non-troll question: what did you think of The Last Jedi?

Not OP but I have pretty similar positive sentiments towards Episode IX, and I think TLJ feels more like a TV episode and less like a movie in scope, in the sense that the plot has advanced very little between the beginning and the end.

In more concrete terms, there isn't a strong sense that the characters at the end of the movie have really grown since the beginning. Poe is still an immature hotshot squadron commander who can't see the big picture, and Finn is still trying to find his place in the resistance.

Rey and by extension Kylo have grown the most over the movie, and Rey's subplot was by far the most interesting.

If I had to change things as little as possible, I'd play up Finn's depression and suicidal ideation, which makes his attempted sacrifice less heroic and more futile and tragic, and gives him a character arc growing from feelings of worthlessness as a disposable, replaceable soldier to an appreciation for the lives of not just his comrades but also for himself.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Neo Rasa posted:

If you coalesce the collective spiritual energy of a million billion space wizards to absolutely loving disintegrate a pathetic old man on a crane it's okay as long as you do it out of love.

Rey didn't disintegrate Palps, she reflected his lightning so he did that to himself, which is totally different from striking him down herself. :pseudo:

The real takeaway is that Mace could do the same without an insane powerup, so I guess we know who the strongest force user in the series really was.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

homullus posted:

Sure, but that doesn't matter for my question. The ones who talk about Force precognition the most -- Jedi masters -- are, with all their rigorous training and disconnection from attachment, the worst at it. The ones who experience it the most are actively living their lives.

The impression I got from the RotS novelization was that Palpatine himself was the reason for their loss of clarity, since he's such a great and terrible existential evil that the laws of the Force and the universe kind of recoil in horror, like the Star Wars equivalent of the Shadow in the Warp. Palpatine started exerting his influence at the start of the Prequel Trilogy, to keep the Jedi in the dark about his true intentions, but I guess it was a lot of work for him, since he stopped doing it during the OT once the Jedi were all wiped out and there was no further need for it.

Palpatine is exempt because he's the one causing it, Anakin is exempt because he's the Chosen One and therefore special and maybe Palpatine even deliberately made an exception for him? And of course the Jedi knights and masters are all blind because that's the whole point. We don't have a great frame of reference for "normal" padawans and trainees and stuff, but they're probably not having any better luck at it than their teachers.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Taear posted:

Is it actually good? Not that I want to read it, I'm just curious.
Can't imagine the RotS film working as a novel.

I personally enjoyed it a lot and have reread it more than a few times, but I'm hearing for the first time that this is apparently a wrong opinion, so hopefully someone here can help me out of the Bad Opinion Zone.

One of the things I liked the most was how it described using the Force. If your main exposure to Star Wars comes from the movies and games, as it is for most people, then it's easy to think in terms of the Force in fantasy RPG terms, with learning the Force as some kind of rational, systematic science, and Force powers falling into discreet and concrete abilities like Force Push and Force Choke and Force Lightning. On the other hand, the novelization does a good job realizing the Force as not just a magic but a lifestyle, as it should be for a monastic order that follows a practice that both Han and that one officer who gets choked in ANH describe as a religion. When Dooku squares off against the boys, his mastery of dark arts isn't just him throwing tables and jumping across the room, it's him drawing the Force into his person to fill his body with strength. Moreover, it illustrates the difference between Sith and Jedi practices: Dooku preparing for combat visualizes the universe falling away leaving nothing left but himself, while Obi-Wan, ever the Jedi paragon, visualizes himself fading away until he and the universe are one and the same. There's a clear dichotomy between Sith egoism and Jedi non-self, and it's very Buddhist and very appropriate considering the strong wuxia influences in Star Wars.

Other things that have been mentioned is fleshing out the friendship between Anakin and Kenobi, which puts more weight behind Kenobi telling Anakin he was "like a brother" to him. Also, for reasons I can't fully explain, Kenobi's brief but touching partnership with the giant riding lizard during the final showdown with Grievous really just gets to me.

As for the "new Sith" line, I understood that it meant that Yoda realized that the Sith have been growing and changing and adapting, while the Jedi remained stagnant and inflexible. The corruption of the Republic and the corruption of the Jedi Order were two parts of the same whole, considering how the Jedi Order tied itself to the Republic, and the implication is that the Jedi had lost sight of what it meant to be Jedi, while the Sith were perfectly aware of what it meant to be a Sith.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

KVeezy3 posted:

To your point, famously, David Fincher turned down Episode 7 because he wanted to make it explicitly about droid slavery.

That honestly sounds like both a fantastic and underexplored idea and also a terrible choice for a numbered movie.

One of my favorite parts of the old Legends setting were the Tales From short story collections, though, so I'm kind of hoping they'll make a Black Mirror-esque series of high budget, self contained, hour long short stories.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

KVeezy3 posted:

To be honest, I have trouble cohering TLJ's politics, so it would be helpful if someone could take the time explain them to me. Like what does Kylo stand for?

If I had to guess, I'd say that The First Order are neo-Nazis and Bad, and Canto Bight is the Military Industrial Complex and Bad. Not that either of these should be especially controversial, but you know how people are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Detective No. 27 posted:

Han Solo named his son after some old dude that he gave a Lyft to and then watched get killed by his future father in law.

To be fair, Ben is Leia's son, too, and Obi-Wan for whatever reason was the one person in the universe that Leia trusted the most to save her in her darkest and most dire hour.