Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

blugu64 posted:

Best keyboard, and it natively supports dvorak.

once you use god's own keyboard you never go back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the kinesis is so popular that i would expect the rear end drop double shot abs speed crowd to be making replacement key cap sets for it

but I have never seen one

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

schranz kafka posted:

i will probably use this irl because i have contempt for some of my co workers in our lame rear end open-plan office

real contempt is a model M

cherry keyswitches are fairies on the head of a pin. a model M sounds like distant gunfire. it is not merely loud, it is an insistent, penetrating sound

best of all, it never bothers the person using it. it is a miracle noise that only bothers bystanders, like other people's cellphone conversations

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Oct 18, 2017

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Dodoman posted:

Don't do what I did and get reds on your first keyboard. They actuate with miniscule amounts of pressure which leads to thousands of typos as you brush your fingers on the wrong keys.

they also provide zero feedback, by design. it's quite difficult to know when the key has been pressed.

I have no clue what they are good for

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Poopernickel posted:

- no real clicky-clack (open floor plan :emo:)

an open floor plan is precisely where a loud keyboard is most valuable

teach them the error of their ways at 90 wpm

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

is there any good reason why there isn’t a good wireless mechanical board

like i have a microsoft one and the typing is very average but it lasts a very long time. i suspect the circuitry has to be well designed but it’s not like mechanical switches themselves require more energy than a membrane right? end of the day they’re literally just a set of contacts that are either on or off

at least on a model M, the mechanical switches are current-driven devices, not just a change in voltage. they use literally 30x as much power as a standard keyboard. think old timey current loop terminals vs rs-232 signaling.

of course 30x very little still isn't much. googling suggests a model M draws about 100 mA @ 5v, while a standard membrane kb is around 3 mA

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

schranz kafka posted:

the main feature of the kinesis is other people seeing you use it, and then asking where to buy one

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the kinesis is so awesome looking it was literally a prop in men in black

alien technology in ur office

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

I got a USB SpaceNavigator for cheap on eBay, plugged it into my Mac, and it just worked

I’d assume the same should be the case for the SpacePilot

same with linux / X11

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

blowfish posted:

Argh gently caress now I have to plug it into my Linux PC (heh) and find out if it's a Windows issue or an old generation 3DConnexion product issue.

it should work

if it does not work you might have to write a udev rule to fix up whatever ID# it identifies itself with

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Salt Fish posted:

Get the advantage, you'll be so glad you have cups to type in.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Silver Alicorn posted:

still leaning more towards the freestyle edge than the advantage. idk imho. bowls sound good but the keyboard looks huge overall

the advantage is surprisingly small in area. it is unusually tall for a keyboard, but it is neither wide nor deep.

also: the edge is chinese garbage. even if you hate bowls, and for some reason want a split, flat keyboard, there has got to be something better than the edge. rubber bubbles, lowest bidder trash.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

do you guys NEVER want to get laid or what

by the time ladies see your kinesis, you already have the advantage :q:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

if you don’t have a private office you have a moral obligation to use the loudest, most annoying keyboard you can and tell anyone who complains that it’s the only one that doesn’t agitate your RSI

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

bobbilljim posted:

i have had sex .... ... ....

with my keyboard

loving your keyboard is more properly known as getting a yospos handjibber

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
Kinesis advantage is the best keyboard, possibly exceeded only by the maltron

once you go to the bowls you never wanna go back

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Hed posted:

It came. These Matias loud switches sound like my C64... I'm up to like 4 wpm again.

a shameful lack of bowls in this photo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

r u ready to WALK posted:

Won't training yourself to use that abomination completely gently caress up your ability to type on a regular qwerty keyboard with a sane layout

not at all

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

r u ready to WALK posted:

https://i.imgur.com/yPG8UiT.mp4

Corsair K95 with translucent front printed black keycaps from maxkeyboard.
The legends are completely unreadable unless the room is brightly lit, which is annoying as hell because the extra G keys on the left make it hard to hit the correct home position for your hands on the first try.

It intimidates and prevents other people from using my computer though which is good.

Corsair ported their RGB software to MacOS, I hope my garish blinged out hackintosh haunts Jony's dreams.

oh my god dude why

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

EndlessRagdoll posted:

I hate this but I think I love how intentionally excessive it is???

just be glad you can't smell the room in which the photo was taken

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

original working name for youtube

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

with one officemate I had to switch to the best possible rubber dome keyboard—Sun Type 7, UNIX layout—for his sanity, the AEKII (Mitsumi) keyboards were just too much for him

the sun type 7 sucks donkey balls, just like the type 5 did

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

tazjin posted:

has anyone here "upgraded" from a Kinesis Advantage to an Advantage 2? Is it worth it in any way?

I have a bunch of advantages (it's the only sensible keyboard to use tbh) and am not sure if I'm missing out on anything important

there are two biggies

• the ancient sticky-shift bug, that goes all the way back to 1986, is finally fixed. for good.

• you can now save/restore the firmware configuration so that you don't lose all your macros and poo poo if the keyboard dies

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

they’re as good as you’re going to get for a rubber dome keyboard though

rubber dome keyboards are bad

eschaton posted:

I take it you’re more a foam-and-foil Type 4 user then?

the type 4 was also bad

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i'm told the type 3 was Actually Good unlike its successors, but i have never owned one so i cannot say with certainty

sun didn't make a lot of'em

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

ok, how are the mid range kinesis splits

i cant buy one of those $400 fuckoff boards but i have a 150 no questions budget which looks like it would get me a freestyle 2 kit

the freestyle is rubber dome trash

i just spend my own money on work keyboards because i am too embarrassed to ask for a $400 advantage II

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

eat a foreclosure and a divorce and report back

you got foreclosed on and divorced?

wow how did that happen

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

so since i got a das keybaord at home ive become acutely aware that my keyboard at work is 1) disgusting and 2) so loving old there are marks gouged into the spacebar from the corner of my thumbnail (I think???) and all the key caps are worn smooth and horrid to type on. plus its a crap HP piece of poo poo in the first place.

but if i get a noisy mechanical keyboard my colleagues will kill me, im thinking some MX reds or something? when I tried them out I didn't think they were that much quieter than the browns in my one at home though

edit: all the ones i can find on amazon or whatever are idiot backlit gamer bullshit

nothing in the cherry series is loud enough to annoy anyone. consider: the kinesis has an buzzer built in to provide audible feedback because the switches are too quiet

as long as you don't go buy a model m you will be fine

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Kilometres Davis posted:

Pretty new to this and I have two questions as I look for a mech keyboard to use with a small foldback laptop at cafes and the library.

1. What switches fit the bill of: like blues, but a little bit stiffer, and silent (or close to)?

the blue is already as close to silent as is physically practical you jackass

Kilometres Davis posted:

2. How difficult is it to replace the switches on a board if I have to order them separately?

four solder junctions per key, have fun with that dumbass idea

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

the most hosed up part about the kinesis is it feels like cheap plastic poo poo. the quality of a $5 monoprice keyboard

i assume you are talking about the kinesis freestyle, not the beloved advantage

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah I’m pretty sure nbsd is one of those people that can do all their work on an iPad, would explain why they’re such a dipshit about keyboards

all of my work is accomplished via phone-posting

earning those brown bucks if you know what i mean

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

the freestyle is absolutely fine for normal humans. peopel that get offended by the texture of food probably find it unusable tho

like all membrane keyboards it's fine at first but it wears out prematurely

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Achmed Jones posted:

also the travel on it is absolutely terrible, the wrist pads are crappy quality, and literally everything about its build quality is terrible

i got the kinesis after my mattias ergo pro died. it was bs that the mattias died, so i requested the kinesis instead to try to get better build quality and it was a terrible mistake

the kinesis advantage is the only kinesis that doesn't blow donkey cock

it's also the only one made in usa

and it's also their original product

it's almost like their product line extensions have been miserable failures

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Blotto Skorzany posted:

is the kinesis advantage my only legit option for an ergo keyboard w/ mechanical switches?

there are three "legit" options

• kinesis advantage ($350)

this is an American clone of the Maltron. It's much cheaper than a Maltron, and less ugly.

• maltron L89 (£435)

the original "bowl" keyboard. british. expensive.

• ibm m15 ($1000+)

this is not a bowl keyboard, unfortunately, but it is a fully adjustable split mechanical. sadly these are out of production. they go for $1000-$2000 on eBay.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mewse posted:

for DIY there's ergodox and dactyl

ergodox is dogshit

dactyl looks cool but like a huge pain in the rear end to assemble

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Blotto Skorzany posted:

can you even buy the kits for a dactyl atm through a process other than "send funds to a guy on reddit and maybe something will come in the mail?"

I’m not about to find out

that assembly process is bananas

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Salt Fish posted:

Bowls rule

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Pumprag posted:

I get why split designs might be better but I genuinely don’t understand the benefit of the bowl layout.

if it don't make sense conceptually, you gotta spend a week nestled in the bowls to really get it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i had a shitload of split keyboards of various design before i jumped on the Bowl Bandwagon

it seriously makes a difference. kinesis advantage 2 is the reigning champ, in my book. (it is arguably better than the product that it is a knockoff of)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

GuyonthecoucH posted:

I'm tempted to hop on the bowl bandwagon and there's a presumably first gen kinesis advantage for sale locally, for $80 (this seems like a steal!). Are there any appreciable difference between 1st and 2nd gen?

not in the actual keyboard part, no

but the differences in the controller are big enough that i immediately replaced both of my 1st gens with 2nd gens the day the 2nd gen landed

• the 1st gen, since 1986, has had a firmware bug that causes a "sticky" shift periodically. this bug is absent from the 2nd gen.

• the 1st gen relies on an internal ps/2<=>usb adapter to add usb support. this does not work reliably with all PC BIOS stuff -- depending on the system firmware, sometimes your keyboard just don't work right until the OS boots

• the 2nd gen adds the ability to save/edit/load configurations with a text editor, instead of relying on the keyboard and three LEDs as the entire editing interface