Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Dean guitars might be cheating, but take a look at this ukulele: http://www.deanguitars.com/query?upc=814064022768

Also, I love that they have a guitar for those people who can't decide between sg and explorer: http://www.deanguitars.com/subcategory?series=splittail_series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

This is a guy who realized that after making it big, you don’t have to stick to the lovely selection for lefties. I don’t know if it’s just a screen, bit the videos I’ve seen of it has videos playing on it.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

“Let’s make a killer axe dudes!”

“I got you fam”

I do like that jailcase though...

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

I also really like that case. There should be a line of those called Guitars Behind Bars or something and I swear if any of you makes money off that name I will haunt you even while still alive.

That’s called stalking. You better write some good songs to go with it so it seems cute.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Somehow though, I doubt that the best sounds come from like a soft pink or light yellow. It would be cool if the guy owned up to his idiocy and played ugly as gently caress colours for the tone.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Wark Say posted:

Only once in a blue moon if you're lefty. :negative:

Good parenting is normally being supportive of left-handedness, but in the case of musical instruments, just don't. You need to be good with both hands anyways, hand dominance is next to irrelevant, and everything is so much easier if you just go right-handed. I've never heard real complaints from lefties playing righty guitars, but plenty from lefties with lefty guitars. And don't get me started on leftie drummers. That is a pain in changeover.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Aside from double kick pedals, what special hardware do you need for a lefty kit?

None, you just reverse everything. Which, if you're playing small gigs sharing a kit, makes changovers take way longer than needed.

I'm probably being a dork about it though.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Beside being an angry one man about lefties, I remembered my weirdest lefty experience. A guy I played a show with played left-handed guitar, but kept making weird shapes in what sounded like standard metal power chord places. Turns out he learned playing with a right handed guitar, but with his right hand fretting, without restringing it. It worked for him though, it just looked weird, especially in solos...

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

hexwren posted:

all of it

all of it

problem solved hth

Someone post the video of 10 metal zones chained and maxed out.

We briefly considered a backdrop consisting of metal zones spelling out our band name, but we're waiting until our breakthrough for financial reasons.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

What kind of rear end in a top hat plays Black Metal on a 7 string?

The djentrification of black metal is real.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Actuary X posted:

tone quilts

I mean, they probably have a notable acoustic impact on the room, so...

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

What's the difference between the two necks, and do you just tap the top one? Because i have no idea how you would reach it. Or do you just play the low F or however it's tuned and nothing else?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Siivola posted:

Get a set of thick jazz flatwounds? :shrug:

What's confusing me isn't that you want thick treble strings, but that you want thin bass strings.

Can you get wound e and B strings though? At least mine aren't, and they're 12s or 13s or some poo poo. And they still hurt to play due to the high tension.

Related: are barre chords even a thing with the ridiculous strings mentioned, because my hands are way too weak for that. Maybe it's just because my bass strength doesn't apply to barre chords though.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Wark Say posted:

That's the thing about Meshuggah: They do one thing. But they do that one thing extremely well. But the funny thing is that, when they sorta try to step out of the comfort zone and do something more straight-forward rocking, they can do that too.

I wonder if a Meshuggah cover album would be terrible or awesome. Like them playing Master of Puppets or Killed by Death and stuff, either straight or djentrified.

Dillinger Escape Plan did a couple of straight covers which didn’t really work as I remember though.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

Do those weird-rear end true temperament frets work with all string gauges and tunings?

Isn't the real issue that they don't work with all scales though? Presumably they would work okay with downtuning, but not with open tunings and drop tunings and so on. If course that depends on the adjustment possibilities of the bridge as well.

E: fanned fret is just awesome and surprisingly uncomplicated. At least on bass, I haven't tried it on a guitar, and i can't figure out if you can still do barre chords with fanned frets.

BonHair fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 28, 2019

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Not to mention that Fender is basically the default option for basses, which Yngwie probably didn't influence.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

ASenileAnimal posted:

if only i had saved all the tabs from the years i drank enough of these things to take 5 years off of my life i could have rolled up to a gig with that guitar and gotten lmaoed off the stage

Just cover it in coca-cola, Pepsi and red bull stickers, no one will see the monster logo.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

There is probably a sweet overlap of people who have to much money, believe in tone paint and somehow still believe in brexit. Unlike whatever Gibson is doing, Martin at least seem to make business sense.

It's still terrible though.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

How well will a THR handle a bass? I'm thinking of getting one, but I really want a practice about that sounds decent with both bass and guitar, which is why I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I still regeret mor moving faster when a cheapish Marshall fridge showed up on Facebook marketplace. It would have been cool and really dumb in our gross rehearsal space.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A month ago I saw an Ibanez (I'm pretty sure) that had 30 or so frets, with cutaway all the way up. There was literally no space for a neck pickup, and it looked completely ridiculous. Of course I can't find it again, but does anyone know the thing and have a picture?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

That's the one, except the one I saw was blue. It's probably fun, but it really needs someone to design it better. Or worse I guess, with floor plating or something.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I did not know that Metallica and Megadeth had beers. I've had the Iron Maiden one and that was alright

Metallica has a whiskey too. And I believe half the band are teetotallers (current rehab notwithstanding), making it a super obvious cash crab.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Wait, are you telling me that guitar amps are designed not to djent? I mean, using a bass amp to djent makes sense, but for some reason I figured that guitar amps could actually reproduce the lower frequencies. I have had low key wondering about what amps to use for guitars that in most cases will be below standard bass tuning though...

And for the record, I assume all of this relates somehow to the fact that a violin is small and loud, while a double bass is huge and quiet (or at least not louder than the violin)?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A human heart posted:

concept: a crust punk guitarist who sweats the same amount as springsteen, but there aren't any drainage holes so the sweat builds up in his guitar

Concept: this, but with drainholes that feed into a catheter, thus collecting the tone sweat. This could probably sell decently to severely boring bluesdads...

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Surely amps need some of that liquid cooling too?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Presumably, gold could be used as well, given that it's an even better conductor.

The biggest instrument retail chain in Denmark went bankrupt last year, and now their stock is being auctioned off. Obviously, there are some good deals to be made, but there's also these Christmas decorations (prices in DKK):

https://www.auktionshuset.dk/auction/585/lot/1279/elektrisk-guitar-4-sound-custom-guitar

https://www.auktionshuset.dk/auction/585/lot/1263/elektrisk-bas-4-sound-custom-bass

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I stand corrected. But I'm sure the gold tones would be way better :colbert:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I do like how there's no knobs at all. Actually, I kinda like it in general, except for the car stuff and the presumably ridiculous price. It looks a lot less like a strat than the average superstrat though, so the name is kinda dumb.

But yeah, it's definitely marketed to 80's bluesdads...

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Doesn't a Rickenbacker 4001 have separate outputs for each pickup? Of course, that's a somewhat niche bass and not a guitar...

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Wark Say posted:

I'd rather spend money on this motherfucker that I know for a fact will take a beating than buy a loving coked-fueled purchase guitar.

This looks pretty cool, I would love to try it. I have no clue how non-wood guitars sound and feel, but I imagine they must be light at the very least.

Also, are the pedals on the fender thing not just cosmetic? Because either way, I could definitely sell a custom pedalboard made to look like the floor of a car. I guess it would be a wah for the speeder, volume for the break and boost for the clutch?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It's a great starting point for my "nonsense relic" idea that I will totally get around to one day. Just heavy relicing a guitar in a bunch of places where it makes no sense, like heavy wear exclusively on the 18th fret of the A-string, wear from the pick below the knobs and so on.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

Howdy!

This made me curious enough to go looking into this amp and the first hit on Google was the user manual, which is so heavy on schitck I only made it half-way through it before my eyes rolled out of my head.
This is the manual. Jesus wept.

I like the first bit where it basically says that the about is so terribly designed that it won't survive more than an hour turned on. And that's assuming no heat sources like lights or a lovely crowded basement with no AC. Although crowded might be pushing it...

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

That video should have been 5 times longer with demos of each. I want to hear quarter tone wanks and double whammies and sitar. Not so much all the small variations on good signature guitar though...

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Stupid music shoes reminds me of the stupidest music shoe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxVODwaVm_Y

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Ultimate Guitar is trying to make articles to stay relevant, and I get them a lot on Facebook. Here's one about Brian May using coins as picks. The stupid music poo poo is the vintage British coin at the end:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/queen_guitarist_brian_may_explains_why_he_uses_coins_instead_of_guitar_picks.html

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Double bass with a coffin body would definitely find a customer base. Also it would fit this thread very well.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The thing that usually sets good wankfest artists apart from boring ones is that they have some ability to compose a song. Otherwise it's all "full of sound and fury, signifying nothing".

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Turbinosamente posted:

I feel the same way about both Dreamtheater and Yngwie Malmsteen. I know they are both musical masters and have a lot of technical skill, but they are both above my head as well and I find them mostly boring to listen to for fun.

It's like a guy trying to cross a stream. These guys build a huge complex concrete-and-glass masterpiece with a working watermill, several flats and three architecture awards, but somehow forgetting the actual path over the stream. Meanwhile, Angus Young puts a log across and calls it a day, and everyone appreciates a job well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I think we touched on this in the thread earlier, and I think someone who knew something gave a good explanation to why it would actually sound different. And then obviously a bit about better not being the same as more expensive and different.