Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The Leck posted:

This sounds kind of close to this modded DS-1 I got as part of a craigslist deal. At the all-dimed settings you showed, it’s a whistling feedback machine unless the strings are totally muted, and at lower settings, it’s got that gated fuzz thing. Is his a known/common mod? I always wondered what was done to that thing.

JHS does a DS-1 mod that has a few different levels of hosed-up to it and all available to be switched in/out: https://www.jhspedals.com/products/discontinued-rare/boss-ds-1-synth-drive/

Apparently they have another model out now since we got ours that has yet another switch. I honestly don't know how much more gain they can add to the frickin thing after the original version of the mod. It already self-oscillates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Wark Say posted:

Heck, :same: wrt that amp.

Brent being a douche-drinker is a well-documented thing. Brann is a bigger weirdo but still a fairly pleasant fella while both Troy and Bill are ridiculously stand-up guys.

Can confirm Bill is chill as poo poo.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

While we don't own any name-brand headliner guitars, we own a lot of the foreign-built budget edition guitars, and I'll take them any day over a Gibson or Fender that cost 10 times as much (or more). I haven't played a Les Paul that appreciably beats out my Epi. My Squier II strat has a better neck then almost any American Standard I've played. Our PRS SE is ridiculously close to a "real" one. The Squier Jag Bass is a really fuckin' good rock bass.

"Budget" guitars are great and I hope that people in general continue to catch on. (Not bluesdad/dentist collector-types, though. Drain them for all they have.)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Shugojin posted:

Whoever buys Gibson branding, I hope it's someone who got sued for headstock shape or something in the past

gently caress it, ESP. Bring back the ESP Explorer.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Ending with "People want innovation" is pretty goddamn hilarious coming from Gibson.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Lars is very good at his job within Metallica: arrangement, networking, and business poo poo. It's only incidental that he has a drum kit.

Also their early poo poo wouldn't sound half as complicated if he wasn't allergic to the downbeat.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

GreatGreen posted:

:words:

if they want.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Pretty sure they sell those in corner bodegas next to the Monster and rolling papers.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Chrpno posted:

And now, the Homer guitar

Still needs a bubble top and tail fins.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Jason Sextro posted:

The ADA MP-1 preamp, or anything made with that.

The stock MP-1 is about as 80's butt rock as it gets.

source: Owned one for over a decade.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

St. Vincent model is hands-down one of the best guitars I've ever played and I really want the original blue with three pickups because it sounds amazing. And yes, it's incredibly comfortable to play, especially sitting.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The Leck posted:

Thanks for this - I read it a while back but last time I looked it had disappeared from the site. It sounds interesting and maybe worth trying out. It seems like most picking articles are on single note/lead playing. Is there any comparable technique guidance for rhythm playing?

That's covered in there.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Shugojin posted:

Speaking of lovely mixes, I have been seeing a ton of retrospectives about the mix on And Justice For All

And I realized reading them, to my great amusement, that there's basically no mentions of Kirk Hammett at all. It's a stupid music poo poo story where you can say "and also the lead guitarist was around somewhere, I guess" and that really tickles me :mmmhmm:

IIRC Kirk did all the solos in like 6 days because it took James and Lars so long to overproduce and rerecord everything like 40 times. A lot of cocaine was involved in both endeavors.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Kilometers Davis posted:

I don’t even like 90% of hiphop and electronic etc non live band guitar music but gently caress that moron what a dingleberry

I like the group sometimes but ugh I’m close to leaving

I love this sub forum a loving ton though. Even when I disagree with y’all. Thanks for being cool and good.

From what I understand Wampler is convinced that his core demographic is angry white males and that taking any steps toward making his online spaces not vile cesspools means hurting his pocketbook and "restricting" "free speech" and "alternative voices."

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Pondex posted:

They're really betting on some kind of Gibson-mystique to carry them. Which absolutely won't work once the boomer-generation dies.

If you commissioned a good luthier to build you that guitar there's no way it would cost 13.000

Last I checked, Ken Lawrence's custom builds aren't really any more than $6000 most of the time. And that's including electronics and fancy inlays n poo poo.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Malaria posted:

Well now I just looked up the JHS Muffuletta, and I think I need one of those too.

I think my ever growing pedal collection is becoming stupid music poo poo at this point.

Like how many pedals do you people all own?

I have like ~40 something, and I maybe use 8 or 9 of them regularly. Most just sit around collecting dust. I don't have any crazy rare or expensive vintage ones though.

My wife is a ridiculous nutbar fan of The Edge, so our collection is as thus:

Digitech Whammy 4
Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone
Dunlop Crybaby Q95
Kay Fuzztone clone in Crybaby housing
Big Muzz Pi clone (germanium diodes)
Pigtronix EP-2 Envelope Phaser (really similar to the Lovetone Meatball)
DOD Gonkulator ring modulator
BOSS DS-1 (JHS Synth Mod)
Moog MF Boost
Moog MF Chorus
Moog MF Delay
Red Witch Titan
KORG SDD-3000

And then into her AC-30. I'm usually content with my Eleven Rack, but I also have an old tube Harmony that I recapped and added a polarized plug to so as to not kill myself. The pedalboard setup is ridiculously flexible in the amount of tones we can get out of it, but we barely use it for probably even half of its ability. I mean, like four or five of those pedals have expression pedal inputs and we don't use them because we only have one and it's usually in a drawer or something most of the time. Both clones were built by my wife.

My PERSONAL favorites are the Big Muff clone, the EP-2, and the Titan. If I were into making a noise band (lol), the JHS DS-1 would be my favorite, hands down. That thing makes fuckin' WEIRD noise.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Kilometers Davis posted:

Stupid Music poo poo: a future plan of mine is to buy a Roland Jazz Chorus and an HM2.

As someone who happened to have this combination at one point: do not do this. You will hate yourself forever because it is a terrible, terrible sound. (Not as bad as when you have to sell that sweet sweet JC-120 because you need to eat more than anything else.)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i was gonna be a dick and be like lemme know when they cram an ada mp1 into a 1590, but son of a bitch they actually made a pedal version

My favorite part of the MP-1 pedal is how it’s still more expensive than an actual MP-1 most of the time, and 4 time more than what I paid for mine (and double what I sold mine for.)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Wark Say posted:

There's nothing for me to hate on this video/song. It's pure cheese and I love it.

I unironically love the floating guitar with hands. I can't believe it took til 2018 for me to see that.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Native already has one of those in a Kontakt library and iirc Hans Zimmer made the original just by layering samplers and instruments in Kontakt.

It's not like we need more of the drat things.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Actuary X posted:

sixteen string guitar, all high E strings, with penis inlay in the headstock
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVMo4F2H0dY&t=1303s

Of course Steve Albini was involved.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

kjetting posted:

Players like Zakk Wylde also combine sets and use lighter gauge strings on the three high ones (10,13,17 in his case) and thicker in the bottom range (36, 52, 60 for Wylde). This means downtuned muted chugging is available on the wound strings, but also unlocks crazy bendy lead stuff on the high strings.

Most string companies nowadays actually offer a set with similar specs. GHS has the Wylde signature strings, Ernie Ball has the "heavy bottom, skinny top" set running from 10 to 52. Not sure if anyone has a set that has the three lightest strings from a .09-set, but it's worth a try to make one by buying singles if you prefer that.

I’ve used heavy-lights for a while and I’ve pretty much come to the conclusion that they’re too much work for the condition my tendons and ligaments are in. Going down to standard 9s from here on.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

There’s a reason Gene is called The Atomic Clock.

Also he and Devin are two of the nicest dudes I’ve ever met. And professionals the whole way (now that Devin has his bipolar figured out, anyway.)

The biggest thing to remember about Devin’s music is that he’s a giant fuckin’ weirdo with a sense of humor that leads to things like multiple concept albums about an alien intent on destroying the universe in order to get the perfect cup of coffee. Not everything is going to land with everyone’s taste, but it’s always going to be executed flawlessly. It’s part of that Zappa-Vai lineage.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Wark Say posted:

lol, I've been there man.

And yeah, that (the Fear Factory nonsense) strikes me as incredibly stupid music poo poo.

Again, there's probably more technically proficient/impressive drummers out there, but not only is Gene an incredibly accomplished and precise drummer, he has insane endurance. Hell, he played for both Strapping Young Lad and Opeth during most of the Sounds of the Underground tour back in '05.

And he was much heavier (literally) then than he is now.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

massive spider posted:

Yeah, it’s funny because “boutique” has come to kind of lose its meaning and just mean “something good” in tone land but it’s easy to lose sight that inherently that’s what it is, a tiny operation.

I had this argument with an (ex, because he’s a twerp) musician friend who wanted to get his first synthesiser to make his ambient drone masterpieces and was adamant that it had to be “boutique” and I was trying to explain to him dude, just make music with whatever comes to hand and learn to work a synth before you start worrying if it was made in limited runs in some guys basement and oh god I hate that hipster prick

Dave loving Smith has like a dozen employees. I know this because I met most of them when I dropped by their office when I visited San Francisco.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

That's an awful lot instances of the word "retard" from the guy that let a guitar get sold out from under him.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Krustic posted:

Somebody sent me this. This is not good and NSFW.
https://youtu.be/b4q2hl44vT8

What did we ever do to you to deserve this.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

scuz posted:

Warning: subjective views ahead.

Their structures are completely barebones (12-bar blues progressions, mostly), but there's just so much superfluous, ego-boosting noodling and solos and yipes, that "Simple Man" bassline? Completely unnecessary, imo, especially when most of those songs are just vessels for extended, wank-y guitar solos. Reeeeally not my cup of tea, but I'm also glad that I get to branch out and learn new things that I would never have done unless I were doing a favor for a pal (i.e. learning all this baloney).

I mean, this is just begging to be followed up with "So what *is* your wheelhouse, then?"

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Wark Say posted:

Is this stupid or awesome music poo poo? I can't tell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwkF3-JmSeA

Which part? Because Steve Albini is both. I mean, the dude had a band called Rapeman and felt justified in doing so. But he's also a genuinely talented engineer who cares about his product and if I had any bucks whatsoever I'd love to go over to Electric and fart around.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Razorblade Suitcase is the only Bush album I own and I realized long after I bought it that it's because of Albini's work on it. It sounds really good and I think it actually highlights the differences in their songwriting that made them not just Nirvana wannabes, especially up against In Utero. "Greedy Fly" is genuinely one of my favorite songs and it's mostly the texture of it.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

former glory posted:

So the one on the far right. That's not a cute goth chick?

I've got some recalibrating to do.

Might be a cute goth dude! :swoon:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Gnumonic posted:

What the gently caress Yngwie. Like how could you think this is a good idea? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvH1Wl6J50Y

This is one funniest things I've ever seen. That historically downtrodden population, the Ferrari convertable owner.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Jesus wept.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

BonHair posted:

I wonder if a Meshuggah cover album would be terrible or awesome. Like them playing Master of Puppets or Killed by Death and stuff, either straight or djentrified.

Dillinger Escape Plan did a couple of straight covers which didn’t really work as I remember though.

Contradictions Collapse, None, and Destroy Erase Improve were still pretty prog-thrashy, like ...And Justice for All with more polyrhythms. They didn't really dig into the slower tempos til Chaosphere. They're perfectly capable of straight covers, but I'm not sure I'd even want to hear versions of "normal" metal all djented up.

That's not to say that there's no reason they couldn't rearrange things to be more Meshuggah-y. Metallica does that poo poo all the time with covers.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Siivola posted:

There's plugins for that.

On which note, old man yells at DAW:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFaRIW-wZlw

The amusing part is that Nickelback's "Rock Star" is specifically engineered to be obvious. That snare sound alone.

It's literally the only Nickelback song I'll ever defend, because it's the most broken-clocks song they've ever done.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Dr. Faustus posted:

I only somewhat understand what you guys are talking about (mics and phase cancellation times many tracks I think I am in the ballpark at least) but wow this really does seem to be stupid music poo poo.

At what point do diminishing returns become a reason to just not bother? Four tracks, or?

Sounds dumb anyway except as a gimmick.

This has been a Faust really doesn't get it post. :)

Any time I've heard about people laying down dozens of guitar parts manually it's usually because of depression or some temporary mental distress. Hetfield, Corgan, The Edge, etc. They just hole up in the studio and obsessively play the same part. Sometimes it's "tone chasing" but I assume that is also some kind of disturbance.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

For the record, "God Hates a Coward" is a shitload of fun to play on the guitar. My band when I was in/got suspended from my first stint in college played it and lemme tell ya it's an adventure figuring out those lyrics.

edit: Last I heard he's doing a few Mondo Cane shows again this summer, but I don't really keep up beyond a general idea of what he's up to.

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 13, 2019

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

former glory posted:

Don't know how you do it, Pokey. The video got me in the mood to stand in front of my cranked AC10 in my room and play 2 or 3 songs and even with plugs in I felt a little nauseous. How you managed to put together actual good riffs in front of that wall and not just pass out is superhuman.

I have an early-60s Harmony 303a, which is basically an AM radio with a growth spurt, and that loving thing is so loud I've literally never turned it up past 4, especially with an EMG-81 feeding it. My wife's AC30 has never seen higher on the master than a 3. Dude in a thrash band I knew would run his Marshal EL34 100/100 power amp at about 6 (for some unknown reason.)

I just don't get the need for super ungodly loud amp settings in tyool 2019. If you're in danger of drowning out the snare at a bar gig, you're playing to loving loud.

That said, just one time having an actual massive wall of Oranges and cabs and playing some stoner-rear end stoner riffs DOES seem fun. Just once.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Rageaholic posted:

Hahahahahaha, this made my entire day :allears:

I spent a good half hour poking through his channel. Some good stuff in there. Entirely stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Lots of winners in there.