Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Just wanted to respond to something fishmech posted in the last thread:

fishmech posted:

Why aren't you just jamming a large USB hard drive off the back of the 360 for bulk storage? Microsoft changed the USB volume capacity limits back in 2015, so you can use any drive up to 2 terabytes.

This mostly works, but be aware that there’s a decent number of games from the back half of the 360’s lifecycle (GTAV, Dragon Age Inquisition) that have mandatory HDD installs that require an official Hard Drive and won’t install on a USB drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

So is literally boiling a NES pinset a actual good idea? It sounds like I need to then bend the pins back up afterwards, I'm bending just the set the cart goes into. Correct?

The boiling of the connector causes the pins to bend back to their original position.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

Ok. So just in water on high for 30 minuets?

Optionally add in some baking soda as well.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Jimmy Smuts posted:

That's what I love about the Atari 2600 and its hardware: its amazing how programmers figured out how to squeeze so much out of so little. The first 2600 games were very simplistic, such as Video Olympics (Pong) or Combat, and the hardware wasn't really meant to do much more. Hell, Atari intentionally half-assed the cartridge slot & thereby nerfed the CPU's capabilities just to save a few bucks per console. But by the end of its life the 2600 got insane borderline-impossible poo poo like Chess, that Space Shuttle game, Solaris, Pitfall 2 (which had its own custom chip to do stuff the console couldn't do; like a 1980s SuperFX), and Robot Tank. And they all ran at 60 fps. I'm almost surprised it didn't get a port of Elite.

The 60 fps stuff on 2D consoles like the Atari is actually more of the norm than an exception. Unlike later 3D systems, there is no frame buffer that has to be written to and read out from. With an older system like an Atari 2600, the CPU and TIA are writing directly to the TVs electron gun. So games on the 2600 HAVE to run at 60 FPS, because if they try to take longer than a frame, you get flicker as the system is crunching whatever logic you give it rather than writing a frame onto the screen.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Unless exchange rate fuckery has jacked up the prices, it's often cheaper to buy Super Famicom versions of games that aren't very text heavy (shmups, platformers, fighting games) than to buy the equivalent US version.

That's what I did for Super Mario Kart and MK64. With Mario Kart, it's pretty easy to figure out what things are based on context, and MK64 still has a shitload of English text in it for the Japanese release.

EDIT: Also the text heavy RPGs like Chrono Trigger are even cheaper, but that requires knowing Japanese or owning a retron 5 that can do on-the-fly translation patching of cartridges, and at that point, why not just play a translated rom.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Are there any SFC games that aren't cheaper than their SNES equivalents?

I would imagine that only ones that never got released outside Japan would be super expensive, but I could be wrong. (Also maybe Kirby's Dream Land 3 if supply was even lower in Japan than it was in America?)

IIRC Super Metroid is pretty much a wash since the SFC and SNES versions are literally identical.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

I just use a pair of 8bitdo receivers and an SFC30 and Wii U Pro controller.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Seriously considering picking up an XRGB mini framemeister. Does the D-terminal input allow for toslink audio input?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The lack of composite and S-Video makes the OSSC a non-starter for me since I have no plans to RGB mod my NES, and I’m using S-Video on my N64 and SNES Jr. as an interim solution until after I get an RGB-capable scaler, then I’ll mod them for it.

My question regarding toslink is because I currently use component for video and toslink optical for audio on my PS2, and I was hoping that there would be an optical audio port to go with the Component D-Terminal port that could embed it into the HDMI signal.

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Apr 3, 2019

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Fair enough, but you could honestly get both an OSSC (for RGB, YPbPr, and VGA compatible stuff) and a RetroTink-2X (for composite and S-Video stuff). It wouldn't be all in one, but to be blunt, an XRGB is overpriced overkill if you're going to be using any video format below YPbPr (and *maybe* S-Video).

Obviously, though, it's all up to you in the end. But it never hurts to have options to consider...

From the main OSSC page:

"Convert analogue audio to digital DVI/HDMI *NEW* – Analogue audio from your retro games console will be converted to digital audio and injected into the HDMI/DVI output (requires compatible TV, processor or AV receiver. Analogue audio output is still available for setups where this is required)."

So there's that :P .

Toslink isn’t analog audio, it’s digital. It’s what the PS2 and Xbox use for digital audio output.

If you have a PS2 hooked up using it, you can get surround audio in some PS2 games (known examples include 4.0 DTS surround in GTA:VC, and 5.1 in MGS2 & FFX’s FMVs) and in quite a few original Xbox games, since it had the hardware to encode 5.1 AC3 on the fly.

Re: OSSC. As far as I’m aware, the only store selling it is only shipping to Europe at the moment, plus I would have to add a retrotink + HDMI to VGA adapter just to get composite or S-Video to work. Looking at it together, that’s pretty much a wash.

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 4, 2019

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Chucktesla posted:

Is there a huge visual difference between YPbPr and RGB? Ive looked around for visual comparisons and any writing on the topic and haven't seen anything that is definitive or clarifying so i'm just gonna turn to this thread to see what's up

No significant difference. Some systems that do both can have slight differences in terms of contrast, brightness and saturation because of how they handle signal paths for converting RGB to YPbPr, but it’s so slight that it’s basically the placebo effect.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

iOS Tetris is the worst version of Tetris and I will die on this hill.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

I mean maybe I could see this implemented on an FPGA SNES, but probably not on something like an HDMI mod.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Ah that would make sense too since the picture and sound are perfect. Hell I’m surprised the front composite input works.

I know I’ve read somewhere that CRTs have some component inside that you should never ever touch because you could electrocute yourself, what is it so I can avoid dying when I open it up

The Cathode Ray Tube itself can hold a pretty serious voltage even after the tv has been powered off and unplugged.

You need to discharge the CRT’s anode before doing anything with it.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Annath posted:

E: Dammit, my copy of Fatal Fury from ebay arrived, and it has some dumb sticker on the label that's damaged the actual cart label. Does anyone sell replacement cart labels?

Use lighter fluid to dissolve the adhesive without dissolving the paper or the ink.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Speaking of I finally got a component cable for my PS2 and it’s like night and day on my old rear end HDTV

Component looks great on the PS2 except when you try to play PSX games or the handful of PS2 games that run in 240p.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

I think Electronic Gaming Monthly got revived a few years back.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Metal Wolf Chaos is the most American game to never be released in America.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Can’t you use lighter fluid to remove stickers without damaging them?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The problem with doing an FPGA N64 is that the RDP is basically one of the earliest examples of a fully programmable GPU. So while on a SNES’ video chips are completely fixed in terms of functionality, an N64’s RDP will act completely differently in terms of how it draws an image on the screen in Mario 64 versus Rogue Squadron for example.

That makes it a nightmare to implement in an FPGA by reverse engineering.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

fishmech posted:

Even though the PSP does run PS1 titles well, the lack of dual analog sticks hampers the fun of later PS1 titles, and the lack of the second shoulder buttons is a hassle for pretty much all PS1 titles. I used to be willing to put up with that for the novelty, but not these days.

The nice thing about the PSP Go is that it can sync a DS3 so you can use it as a microconsole for PSX games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Roth posted:

My dream is for ArkSys to make a new fighting game for Sailor Moon.

Though I guess "X anime as an ArkSys fighter" is just something everyone requests now.

I’d love another Sailor Moon fighting as horrifically and hilariously unbalanced as Sailor Moon S: Jougai Rantou Shuyaku Soudatsusen was/is.

KariOhki posted:

Sailor Moon: Another Story did get an updated fan translation last year that tidied up the translation and fixed some bugs, but I can't say if the actual game quality is any good overall. I only played half of the original translation before losing my save or something, I remember it being a bit grindy.

Note that the retranslation also includes an optional anti-grinding patch the halves the encounter rate for random encounters but doubles the XP rate for each one.