Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
how do they know what their customers are using the graphics cards for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
keep in mind that you can also use the heat generated from mining bitcoins to dry strawberries, so the energy spent actually has more than one use

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
Man sent letter bomb to Bitcoin firm 'over password reset'

quote:

A man has been jailed for sending a "potentially lethal homemade bomb" to a Bitcoin firm in London - after it refused to reset his password for him.

The Met Police, which investigated the case, said detectives could "only identify one possible reason" for the Swedish national's actions.

He had emailed the company, Cryptopay, in August 2017, to ask that he be sent a new password.

Cryptopay, however, refused, saying this contravened its privacy policy.

Jermu Michael Salonen, 43, has been sentenced to six-and-a-half years in prison at Stockholm District Court.

He faced a number of charges, including some for sending a white powder to Swedish lawmakers - among them, the prime minister - in 2017.

Salonen had addressed a padded envelope containing the device to two Cryptopay employees.

It was delivered at some point in November 2017 to an office in Hackney, which had housed an accountancy firm previously used by Cryptopay.

Several months later, on 8 March 2018, a worker at the office began opening the package but did not continue when they became suspicious of what was inside.

"We are relieved that no one from The Accountancy Cloud team was hurt in this incident," a spokesman for Cryptopay told the BBC. "None of our employees have ever worked at that address."

"The vast majority of our employees work remotely across Europe, but we are implementing additional security measures to prevent any potential harm to our employees anyway.

"We are thankful for both British and Swedish police, who were able to investigate the case with outstanding professionalism."

"It was due to sheer luck that the recipient ripped opened the package in the middle rather than using the envelope flap which would have activated the device," said Commander Clarke Jarrett at the Met Police Counter Terrorism Command.

DNA found in the package did not match information on UK databases, so it was analysed by Interpol.

"Through these inquiries, it was identified that the DNA matched those of Salonen, who was known to Swedish authorities," the Met says.

A search of Salonen's home discovered "numerous bomb components".

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
that guy is going to murder people

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
number go up

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
:nws:

Seraph_84 posted:

I don't know about you guys but I'm dumping thousands into Bitcoin right now.

Also, anyone who sees this will be turned into a gay bitcoiner.

:nws:

just quoting this in case you edit it out

LordArgh fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 28, 2018

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
oops, sorry burt. just thought it was funny that notorious bitcoiner and star citizen seraph decided to post his small dick once the bitcoin number went up

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Burt Sexual posted:

I completely forgot about him. I think we are not even supposed to have inline peni behind spoilers are we? I just wanted to make sure some other goons saw it and could testify for my ban. I think you can edit it out.

done :)

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

mojo1701a posted:

gently caress I just remembered the dude that got heat stroke from sleeping in the same room as his rig. How long ago was that? I wonder how he's doing.

that didn't actually happen. goons made it up as a joke

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

woah

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
apparently the kidnappers have demanded to be paid in monero. 9 million euros, a sum that is equal to over 1% of all monero in existence, which would be very hard to acquire.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

What happens to all the men and women who worked the coca fields and the processing facilities to feed their families? Are they all going to become bacteria ranchers? I don’t think so. Privileged-rear end white people, always concerned about the “environment” with no thought for the people whose jobs they are destroying.

they can become coal miners

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
the intrinsic value of wasting massive amounts of energy

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

i've been following this bitcoin thing since around 2013 and this is the first time i've seen a legitimately good use for them

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

The Kins posted:

Didn't ISIS already do this?

isis aren't fighting the apartheid state of israel tho

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

ilmucche posted:

Why does the owner of goatse have your email address?

lol if you haven't signed up for the goatse newsletter

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
blockchain

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
need to make sure that when i input my password "correct horse battery staple" that the spelling is correct

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
oh look a bunch of new posts. something funny must have happened with bitcoin

oh....

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
please stop making GBS threads up this thread

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
i'm just baffled that someone can buy thousands of dollars worth of bitcoins without first making drat sure that they understand how they're going to access them later

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
so you're saying that now is a good time to buy bitcoin?

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
happy satan number page, bitcoin thread

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
this is the time to buy, lads!

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Powershift posted:

Yes?

That's the whole purpose of the turning test?

:thejoke:

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
the hell does "aita" mean

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Liquid Communism posted:

800k is more than someone making the national median wage will have made, by their late 30's, much less saved.

36 year old (for easy math) = 20 years working @ $31,099 per year (US median wage) = $621980.

You forgot to account for the 6% or so average annual return you should expect to get from investing your savings into low fee index funds.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

let it mellow posted:

When does mcafee have to eat his own balls?

has to wait until after he's had consensual sex with a whale

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
didn't ghostty's toxx state that he should be permabanned? why is he still posting?

e: what a lovely way to start a new page. here, read this excellent post again

There Bias Two posted:

You loving dumbass. You know why you feel bad about it? Because somewhere deep down in your thick-rear end skull, you apparently have some kind of conscience. You've tied yourself up in knots with this pseudo-intellectual bullshit, trying to justify contributing to the downfall of mankind for a relative pittance in "profits" that may or may not actually be in liquid cash.

There are literally people dying somewhere out there because they don't have stable access to the energy grid, and you're casually expending an entire town's worth, without producing anything of value, every single month, just so you have a little more cash to play with.

Profit is not a loving imperative.

You're actually *worse* than the CEOs who are making billions off the backs of their employees, because at least they ostensibly run something that actually outputs a product.

You're being a leech. Without realizing it, you've stolen more from society than most bank robbers ever accomplish. But you just stand there and shrug because it's legal.

Shut that place down and live your life with a goddamn ounce of dignity for once, would you?

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Talking in another thread about 2 of my guys' bday party back in February (they had same bday...1 day apart at least) and the part 2 of it (back in beginning of the summer, the pics are from part 2) made me decide to upload these pics from the night; not really "drug" pictures, but none of us have any involvement with drugs whatsoever

My 1st friend spent at least $15k in throwing $1's and my 2nd friend had at least $30k go up ($10k brought out 3 times), not including what they paid to rent the place + drinks. I threw up $2500 and felt like a budget baller My favorite girl is the one with glasses in bottom left of picture, she got rear end for daysssssss

My Lexus is on far right and I won't be specific on who owns what car but all the ones with cones in front of them and all the donks are owned by my guys and their crews. The yellow thing is a BEAST. 454 under the hood and the audio and visual system is just ridiculous (not that loud, distorted, cant-hear-poo poo type that most have, but even on full blast crystal-clear sound and bass). And yes those are 30's on every car except my Lexus and the Cadillac XLR

I was literally the only white person in the club but it didn't matter cause of who I was with; plus the fact I was with them in the first place and white I think let most people know what was up.

poor people cosplaying as what they think rich people do is really really sad

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

xtal posted:

That's really up to each group to decide for themselves voluntarily. I don't make any claims aside from that. But if you can't imagine a society where people don't need the state to do everything for them, maybe that's a you problem? It's a pessimistic and defeatist attitude to say "that world would be poo poo because people don't do anything, and by the way, I won't either." Be the change you want to see in the world.

ah, to be this naive

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
Why number go up

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Bust Rodd posted:

Actually stealing money from the govt. to help pay for your poor religious communities needs like food and soap seems like the literal best and least worrying application of bitcoin.

actually, stealing electricity paid for by public taxes in order to enrich themselves, and contributing to destroying the environment in the process, is extremely not good.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Bust Rodd posted:

I am literally always 100% down with the poor scamming money from the government so I just can’t not see it as a win.

why do you assume that they're poor?

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Bust Rodd posted:

“This money goes a long way in Iran’s choked, sanctioned economy.” It’s called
Reading.

that refers to the country as a whole, not the bitcoin mosque in particular. i'm noticing you're avoiding having to answer that other poster's question about why it's okay for these people so steal money from all other iranians

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

mine the israelcoin by murdering palestinians

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
more like "butt" coin

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
number go up

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Yond Cassius posted:

The official reason is that he's a political nutjob and not just a financial one

that venn diagram is a perfect circle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Lambert posted:

Posting to get in right on the ground floor after the big long rant about the lottery by some person mad they had to wait in line even though they're much smarter than the peons I didn't read.

i think that post might, in fact, be an unattributed quote