Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Hey all, just wanted to point out that https://www.givedirectly.org/ exists, transfers funds directly to people who need it within weeks of a crisis, and does it all without the involvement of Chinese heat farmers.

You know, if you're into that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

So NFTs are just the "$250 Neiman-Marcus Cookie recipe," with a side of car speakers that the buyer rejected, except that there are no cookies or speakers.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

how is peter molyneux not up on this dick

He's way ahead of you.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

Guze posted:

ok i lost all my money on the Dr. Strange slot machine, but the Big Bang Theory slot machine looks promising!

Slot machines are regulated.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

Hammerite posted:

I take it the people who gamble on these things are all 100% aware that the promises the scheme promoters make are bullshit? They surely can't actually believe this stuff. Yeah we have a contract with the pokemon company to use their IP for our crappy NFTs. And we'll give you some money for the rest of your life and we're also totally going to make a game. (seems like every single one of these includes "we're making a game" as one of the promises)

So given everyone knows that it's nonsense, they only come out with all that stuff because it's an expected part of "playing the game" and they know that if you don't make a bunch of ridiculous promises (that everybody involved knows are all lies) then people won't buy in because it isn't taking the expected form?

But then, what is in it for the rubes who put money into it? Are they treating it as a ponzi scheme and intending to get out ahead of the rug pull? Surely the schemes are all too short-lived for that. Do any of these schemes end with "investors" making money (without hacking or social-engineering it outside the rules of the game)?

Many of them think they're running the scam, while simultaneously hoping that this one will go to the moon. They know it's bullshit, but they have to keep all the rubes in line so they can pull off their perfectly-timed exit the instant their honed, smart senses detect that the moon definitely isn't in the cards for this one. Just repeat the message and be ready to pull rugs and stab backs when it's time.

The others trust Matt Damon and don't really understand what crypto is, just that it's new and some people got rich from it.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

So crypto is just gift cards but stupider? Is that what libertarians have been raving about??

It also requires the energy consumption of a small country to validate transactions. This is for Security.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

Arrrthritis posted:

I really love playing Clash of Guilds, which is why I spend all my time playing Rune Chains, because the only way to progress in Clash of Guilds is to play a game that I don't enjoy playing.

It's like modern day WoW where you need to do activities that you hate to progress in the activies you enjoy.

I love how the "ground-breakingness" part of this hypothetical requires multiple game companies to implement complex systems that benefit customers of other games to the exclusion of their own customers.

I can't implement all the cool things I want to put in my game in the time I have. I'm not implementing a NFT that I don't own that does cool stuff in your game.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

I mean, it's a decent scam. You're backing gift card payments with some money (which you require customers to supply, and don't allow them to extract) and then you try to convince merchants to receive payment in your proprietary coin, which they must redeem through you and only you. You can talk about lower transaction fees and such, probably incentivizing that with further discounts in early days.

As with all crypto, you either need to duplicate everything the established methods have (verification, charge backs, security) or fall prey to the same problems the established methods have already fixed.

It's still set up for a great rug pull, at minimum, so not a bad exit strategy when things go sideways for them.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

When does Matt Damon start pushing the "I'm an actor, I took a job, I'm not responsible for this" angle, I wonder. I guess it depends on whether the checks start bouncing.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

Blotto_Otter posted:

(also, somehow this crypto exchange-slash-investment bank has not turned a profit for at least the last four years? the hell have you guys been doing that your combined exchange/cryptobank couldn't skim a profit during that insane crypto bull market???)

The entity hasn't returned a profit to retail investors, no. I'd bet that most of the $16m in "other liabilities" is basically the founders paying themselves back for their initial investments. I'd also bet that most of their operating cash has been used to buy the founders' crypto holdings.

The cool thing is that when this goes down, all the looting means there's no profit left to distribute to the investors! Operating at a net loss is fantastic for their purposes.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Pneumatic tubes

Sounds like a great plan for soup!

https://twitter.com/redditships/status/1280975449485651969?lang=en

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

Shorts and puts work in regulated, transparent, audited marketplaces because there are rules and people who don't follow them face consequences.

Crypto hates all that, so shorts, puts, and leveraged positions get wiped out regularly due to anomalous jumps in price at critical times. It's weird how often it happens! That's just how it goes sometimes.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

They don't have a way to do this or an explanation of how the block chain would be a better implementation than any other way, they're just asking questions.

Nice, harmless questions, like "do you know a way to get a thousand dollars right now," and "what if you could be the one in charge?"

Always the promise of a better tomorrow and the solution to your problems (or at least someone to blame them on), never a plan to build it that holds up to the slightest scrutiny. Getting you to dream your own dream means you have to kill that dream if you say no to the crypto.

You don't even have to change anything to get there! But they do need that grand first.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

Zopotantor posted:

You’re not thinking far enough. Start the DAO to raise money for buying the landfill, then start selling digging claims on parts of the landfill. There’s probably a third level that I just can't think of right now.

Form a separate DAO to let people vote on which people get to dig on their claims first, so it's even more decentralized.

Accept bets on which claim has the drive. Include parlays for dates and times.

Livestream the search process and let donors bid on actual garbage as they see it. Mint NFTs of the items that get bought this way.

Garbage all the way down.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

Complications posted:

nobody could be stupid enough to actually put real money into an nft for real esta-

:suicide:

It's like a REIT but for marks who want to be stolen from.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

I mean, it follows a certain amount of logic as long as you squint a lot and don't think too hard.

Wealth comes to good people->I'm a good person so I deserve wealth->I'm not wealthy yet->Conventional financial wisdom is wrong->Find places that tell me I'm good and also that are outside conventional financial wisdom.

Lots of institutions breed this sort of thinking:
1. Whatever you're doing is the right thing, and you are a good person. That's what brought you to (this institution)!
2. You deserve better and it's not your fault things aren't better. Things would be better for you if (insert entity) wasn't holding you back.
3. (This institution/author/preacher/self-help guru) can help you find the right path. It's a little bit more than you want to pay right now but it will pay off in the long run.
4. Keep on working as instructed and you'll get where you want to go. We can put you in touch with more people who believe like this and will tell you how much better you're doing.
5. Stay the course when outsiders tell you this is wrong. They only say this because they're jealous of your success. Being one of us is how you get the exclusive information that only we have! Please, don't ask further questions.
6. You're actually fighting a war against the outsiders. We have materials available to encourage you. Don't abandon your new friends in this war! Don't lose access to all this stuff! This is part of your identity now!

When people get into the late stages, you've got a populace who hangs on every word, encourages each other to stick with you, doesn't question you, and actively rejects outside influences. Works for sneaker fan clubs, works for OANN, works for crypto. It'll work for the next thing too.

Good thing we all are too smart for that here on the SA forums.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

WhiteHowler posted:

What would it take? I'm crypto-clueless, but the exchanges(?) I've heard of are FTX, Coinbase, and Crypto.com, I think because they all have arenas named after them. Are those three even the same thing?

According to the first Google result because I don't care past that, the current total "market cap" of all cryptocurrencies is ~$353 billion. We all know there are nowhere near that number of actual dollars that entered the crypto space but let's go with that number as a worst-case. If all of that money vanished from the economy it'd be akin to Chevron, Proctor & Gamble, or Eli Lilly going under. It would be big, but to put it in perspective the US federal bailout payments for the 2008 financial crisis totaled nearly $1.5 trillion dollars. Worldwide central banks purchased $2.5 trillion in bad debt in Q4 2008 alone. One of the biggest subprime lenders that went under in 2008 had $225 billion in bad loans. It took 20+ other companies also going bankrupt at the same time, multiple even bigger banks owning a lot of that debt, and a series of national-level loan defaults in Europe to tip the economy into a recession.

It definitely wouldn't be good, especially with COVID and a war compounding things, but as a total outsider I just don't think there's enough mass in crypto to tip the world's economic scales (which makes it all the more damning that its carbon impact is so high). The most important thing to remember that it's not generally integrated into the world's economic system, so the effects of a cryptocalypse wouldn't extend much past the borders of the crypto economy itself.

So let's go.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

Talorat posted:

The strangest thing about effective altruism and longtermism to me is their seeming disinterest in climate change. You would think that the subject of climate change is one where trying to optimize for minimizing the suffering of future humans would give you some immediate prescriptive actions, but no, they don’t seem to give a poo poo.

Fixing climate change means personal sacrifice and a reduction in electricity consumption, which runs contrary to the "things I like will save humanity" selfishness of EA. How can anyone save the planet if they can't fly around in a private jet?

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

Have any of the exchanges that paused withdrawals this year ever unpaused them?

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

Kind of hoping he tries to prove that the actual money he lost was less than the stated valuation of the digital assets. Just bring down the whole thing to protect himself.

It won't help him, but it would be super funny.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

Lammasu posted:

Cheap? The'll spend 5k on a NFT but not to retain a lawyer?

If the lawyer says "Don't do that, it's illegal," how do they get a lambo? Best to just move fast and break things.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

notwithoutmyanus posted:

SBNY is a big deal though. SBNY was the other gateway for crypto and stablecoins, if I recall per Divabot. That and Silvergate were it.

This is good for Bitcoin. (1/49)

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

Lemming posted:

The problem isn't that putting the device on your head is too big of an ask (to be clear - it IS a huge ask), it's that there's not much that's good enough to be worth that ask for most people. The problem is in the software and in the imaginations of the people making the software, most stuff boils down to "let's put an existing kind of flatscreen game and adapt it for VR" and most people just end up wanting to play the flatscreen games, because why wouldn't you? They're already perfect fits for those mediums. VR needs new thinking and imagination, which is pretty at odds with any kind of large investment, because those companies just want to keep making the same stuff that's already proven it makes a bunch of money.

On its face it seems like VR should be the coolest loving thing ever - the ability to transport a player to a world that you can fully realize. The problem is these worlds have no imagination whatsoever put into them, so why would people want to spend time in there at all? I do think at some point people will start figuring it out and then it will be cool, but there's not really any clear roadmap to getting there.

As a game developer, it's because making a fully realized world is goddamn expensive. The big players either do it by throwing tons of manpower and reused assets at it (Ubi) or by destroying lives through crunch (Rockstar). Anyone else has to make compromises on fidelity, size, or gameplay, then hope they sell 10 million units so they can break even. If it works you get to do it again, if it doesn't your studio gets closed down. Taking a $200 million risk to make The Game that Makes VR Happen just isn't a thing anyone's going to do, so you get toys (Beatsaber), VR Chat, cut-down experiences (Horizon: Call of the Mountain), passion projects (Colossal Cave VR), or Work Stuff like the genuinely really cool tech employed in modern skyscraper construction.

Stepping back from VR, it takes probably $40 million to ship a console-quality game of any type. While that much "money" "exists" within the cryptosphere, no one who "has" that much is offering to fund games that don't tie themselves back into whatever crypto ecosystem they want to push, and frankly no developer who's capable of making a successful game is going to risk their studio on a compromised vision. This leaves true believers and crypto-centric developers, and... Decentraland is about what you can expect from that.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

interesting. and if one were to pursue some of this hypothetical financial crime against poor people, how would one best go about? asking for a friend.

Can you keep a straight face while saying "President Trump needs your help" on Tiktok?

Alternately, do you own Amazon?

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

Desert Bus posted:

The best option is to simply not post anywhere ever.

:mods:

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

Flag on the moon.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

freemandela posted:

the opportunity to toss techbros in the ocean

Dunk tanks for the modern era. I'm in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

Yeah but imagine that but slower, less efficient, more volatile, and less secure! Doesn’t that sound grand!?

Hmm, I'm intrigued, but I really want something that uses a massive amount of electricity just by existing. I mean, like more than a country.