Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Ripple is a hype scam, so we should all invest immediately.

Not a joke post, every hyped coin just goes up.

If you are smart you invest in it, if you are dumb you invest in it.

This is going to be an epic bubble.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

buy the dip

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Bright Bart posted:

Is there even a way to make sensible crypto bets? What you see is certain coins will spike 30% and then drop. But Google doesn't provide answers for what happened before the spike. Discord-planned PND? Few other ideas than cryptocurrency people attacking any minor jump.

Yeah, buy and hold bitcoin.

As the dollar value falls due to inflation bitcoins value rises vs the dollar. It cant really have inflation and the more people trust and use it the more scarce it is.

Id rather invest in stocks and sell options personally.

The main risk with crypto is a mass market exodus.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Bright Bart posted:

Whelp, tried to transfer from Binance to another exchange and apparently it costs over $20 US dollars to send BTC.

Any suggestions? Other than just not using crypto.

Scam Currency of the future!

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

hbag posted:

if binance had regular-rear end USD on it you loving bet id be using that

currency of the future!

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

feelix posted:

No I personally don't but I also wouldn't keep mock posting about a thing that turned out to be an incredible investment. It's like if everyone who ever died on Everest got resurrected with superpowers but the Everest thread kept making fun of them

No, its like making fun of people who buy GameStop at $200 a share.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Digital poo poo has extra value when you cant flex in person, only online.

When society reverts, NFTs will plummet.

You really think you gona impress some chick with some animated bullshit on your phone lol

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

aware of dog posted:

I wish I had millions of dollars to waste on pogs

If it brings attention to your name, your company and the coins you selling then is it a waste?

This guy is deeply invested in getting people to think that they have a bright future if they buy cryptocurrency.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Crypto is a scam at best and at worst makes it easy for the ruling billionaire class to move shady money around.

gently caress crypto.

I sincerely hope anyone who does it fucks up and losses money.

You can brick a gpu while mining fyi.

Cards wear out.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 19, 2021

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Yup.

And if you mine you are helping the scamming empire.

gently caress crypto.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Regardless of how much energy crypto uses it is still a scam. All arguing about the environmental cost does is give cryptocultists a tangent to argue about instead of the essential scammery of the crypto itself.

Crypto helps criminals move money, which makes it more possible to run scams all over the world.

gently caress crypto.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

ogarza posted:

Considering the hashpower from already paid-for cards, this will pay for itself in a month, anyone claiming GPU mining is not worth it today has clearly not done the math. There is a reason it is so hard to buy them retail.

I’ve done the math I just don’t want to support a criminal empire?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Blotto_Otter posted:

I think the "cryptocurrency helps facilitate crimes" argument is a bad argument, because it makes it sound like there's a practical use case when there isn't. Here's the thing: it's not even particularly good for that use. Most cryptos are pseudonymous, not anonymous, which is a really loving lousy trait in a currency being used for illicit transactions. Physical cash is safer than cryptos if you want to do crimes and not get caught at some point.

Cryptos are not even particularly great for illicit and criminal use cases! The only use cases where cryptos work well are "purely speculative 'investments'" and "scamming gullible internet users"!

You understand that cuts both ways, right? It's also really loving weird to die on the hill of cutting meat from your diet while defending cryptocurrency mining, which is arguably even more impactful and a much easier change for a person to make. Most folks would find it much easier to turn a box off than to commit to completely throwing out a diet they've had a lifetime to get used to.

Its way loving easier to text someone some numbers then put a bunch of cash in a duffel bag and get it on a plane.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Stanley Pain posted:

Not defending it at all. Re-read my first posts. But I'll spell it out again here for the sake of being as clear as I can.

Large scale crypto mining is absolutely a problem from an environmental perspective.

Dumb fucks like me mining a few hours a day are not. People crying about dumb fucks like me mining while not doing anything else to better the environment are hypocritical at best. GPU mining in someone's spare time is a drop of water in the ocean by comparison.

Does your mining help cryptocurrency move from one location to the other at all?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Stanley Pain posted:

Not really. My butt mining is 100% supported by the power of the sun gods. I wouldn't be doing it if I was using a more traditional energy source.

Still is strange how many people are incensed by the environmental impact of butts but really don't give a poo poo to make other, more impactful changes in their lives.

Who says you have to stop eating though?

I don’t give a poo poo about the environmental impact because were all a bunch of wasteful motherfuckers but that thing helps criminals do crime and when you’re mining you’re helping the coins move around.

Thats bad.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

I’m gonna continue to point out that if you mine crypto you’re helping criminals move currency around.

I mean if you’re OK with supporting human trafficking then by all means keep mining.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Stanley Pain posted:

Pretty sure I already acknowledged that as far as CO2 is concerned butts and meat are equally bad.

But one of them makes it easier to transfer illegal money and profit off of human slavery.

The other is food.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Stanley Pain posted:

I have.

No, not at all. But you can continue to think that if it makes you feel better. Factory farming is still the greater polluter of the two. But like I said, as far as CO2 production goes the two are equally as bad. I didn't think single one off GPU mining as as bad as it is.

Every mining GPU helps the transfer of money that makes it easier for crimes to be profitable.

You’re basically being bribed to be a money mule for illegal organizations.

If you’re OK with that then keep doing it but I think it’s a loving scumbag move personally.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Horace posted:

Yeah, a neat little word for the loving losers with old regdates who were all LOLing at the Bitcoin thread on this forum a decade ago. back when you could have mined some with the computing power of a gameboy color, but instead we spent the night waiting for Bruce Wagner's phone to vibrate off a chair. I'm glad I have that memory instead of several million dollars.

Id rather have my current wealth then directly help with human trafficking and be wealthy.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Cabbages and Kings posted:

My room's power consumption went down when I started mining, because the heat of doing so is fairly well distributed through my room, and this caused me to stop using an old, derelict, inefficient space heater. We had this conversation like 20 pages ago but if you need to run 250w of electric heat anyway, there's little difference between doing it with a miner, and a space heater. A friend of a friend is nearby is heating his RV with a mining rig, at a rate that's both heating the RV and earning more ETH than the RV parking spot costs. Pretty good closed loop, even if this is the last winter it will be fiscally reasonable.

So, no, no climate change contribution here; also I worked in efficiency for like 8 years and personally offset like 1000x my lifetime consumption and as far as I am concerned those saved gigawatt hours are mine to burn :colbert:

Sex trafficking? Sure, crypto is the payment of choice now, but is there any actual evidence that the amount of it is increasing as a result of crypto? At HOPE 2018, a career sex worker and advocate gave a presentation on sex workers and the darknets and she mostly saw crypto as a positive thing for sex workers, in terms of making payments easier and safer. So, curious where that sentiment is coming from, since this person was also clearly concerned about trafficking and did not make the connection to crypto during that presentation that touched on both things.

Ultimately I don't care that much, I am an American with an at present comfortable life style, so, basically anything I do is predicated on global suffering and inequity, but curious if there's some aspect of this I don't understand. The way I see it, crypto exists, the value will float based on supply, but if people are exchanging crypto for illegal slavery, the amount of crypto in existence doesn't matter much.

Me or Jose? The HOPE 2018 presentation I saw was very much motivated by SESTA; it's available from 2600 for sixty cents: https://store.2600.com/products/the-circle-of-hope-2018-sex-worker-rights-and-internet-freedom-download

Every single time you mine part of mining involves helping with transactions that banks absolutely would not help with.

If you’re willing to except your $200 bribe to keep looking the other way and that’s OK with you then fine. Personally is very not OK with me and I’m never loving mining at all.

You are a money mule for criminals.

Every time you click mine you’re supporting an infrastructure that makes it much much much easier to do human trafficking profitability.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

But hey man you have like 200 bucks and can you really measure the depth of human suffering?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

xtal posted:

Really says a lot that the argument changed to this at this point

I have been consistent in this thread.

Mining gives you currency BECAUSE mining is how the network processes transactions.

You a literally helping process currency directly involved with criminal empires.

It is THE currency of human trafficking.

If you mine you are helping with human trafficking.

Directly.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

the reality is a lot more complex than that and it would take a lot to convince me that crypto has actually displaced paper currency in terms of market transaction volume

so by this argument anyone who uses USD and helps fuel the economy that creates value is also complicit. Also if we're getting this abstract, my participation in US culture and paying taxes seems like it's probably causing a lot more direct measurable harm than mining basically any amount of crypto.

beyond that, PoS is here to stay, so "miners are the problem" will become "stakeholders are the problem"; meanwhile, this poo poo is increasingly getting packaged inside conventional financial products available as retirement vehicles.

If you process a transaction or help with the network you are directly contributing to helping criminals move dirty money efficiently.

Nice try saying if you use the American dollar you are doing the same thing.

I don’t process the transactions of strangers online.

You do.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

you've overwhelmingly changed my mind with your well researched and cited positions and I will immediately stop mining and donate all proceeds to some appropriately leftist environmental cause.

Im noticing that you like to talk about the environmental thing and not about the human trafficking aspect.

Prove me wrong: mining directly transfers criminal money.

“Sex trafficking? Sure, crypto is the payment of choice now”

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 28, 2021

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

xtal posted:

So the proper comparison is to bankers?

No, this money would not go into banks.

It would go into duffle bags.

The comparison is being a money mule.

Thats what they would have to go back to.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Maybe some of those trafficked women will help depressed wealthy people?

Who can tell if this is all good or bad anyway?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Duhh.

You need the bitcoin to pay for the sex trafficking.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Its not like there ever was a hard dollar value on people being human trafficked.

Bitcoin fluctuations shouldn’t hurt the industry so miners should rest easy as they help with transactions.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

xtal posted:

I hear bitcoin is about to explode (in a bad way) so I'm here to watch it go down :munch:

Reddit /new is a ton of desperate shitcoin spam right now.

Id be selling if I was in the space.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Dogecoin doesn't have to make any sense. People are going to pump it tomorrow for little to no reason. Seems like an easy way to make a quick buck. But seeing as how dogecoin is meant as a joke....when does it go bye bye? What is it....10,000 new coins each day? Can't sustain that way.

Apparently its not easy to mine anymore.

Whoever’s been mining away for 7 years is turbo rich now.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Dogecoin exists to help the exchanges make money on you changing your coins around.

It is bad.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

hbag posted:

making me paranoid and wanting to move my crypto to an external wallet but that'd mean doing an actual transaction on the network rather than binance just switching around who owns what internally without actually moving anything
and in doing that i would be contributing to the hosed energy consumption

also transfer fees

Cash out and don't participate.

Problem solved!

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

hbag posted:

i also want to use the cool number that go up to buy things and i don't have a job

Have you considered the cool number might go down rapidly due to people wanting to spend their profits on all the fun poo poo that used to be open?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

So I was reading about tether. Tether is "backed by real money" which is why they can print more and say it costs 1 dollar.

The current market cap of tether is 50 billion, it was 5 billion 1 year ago.

Apparently they have been printing like billions and billions of coins this year and some people think they are using those coins to buy bitcoin to inflate the price.

If true its a bubble inflated with hydrogen drifting through a forest fire lmao.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 27, 2021

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Bright Bart posted:

Tether being supposedly backed by USD I can understand (although I'm unclear as to if you can actually cash out USDT for dollars and from whom).

What perplexes me is how Tether supposedly backs Bitcoin. Is it the idea that you can hypothetically swap BTC for USDT and then cash out? Or something else?

Everything works until lots of people start trying to change large amounts of bitcoin into cash in the exchanges.

The exchanges are going to have to tell them they don’t have the cash but you can have tons of tether.

😂

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

I don’t see what anyone’s worried about I’m sure you’ll be able to cash out all of your bitcoin for tether.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Andy Dufresne posted:

No, scroll up. Most of it is dollars owed to tether by crypto-adjacent companies they loaned tether to.

The dollars didn't exist in the first place, but they theoretically will if everyone tether loaned out is paid back

I mean they’re only printing like 5 billion Tether a month.

Im sure its legit.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

notwithoutmyanus posted:

If tether literally leverages existing interest bearing sites, they could be compounding far above 20-60% annually on tether. Especially if they are diversifying, if you look at things like curve and yield.fi where hundreds of millions sit, they could be contributors of those pools.

Need to add a zero behind that.

Its gone up 10x in market cap in 1 year.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Like I said: everyone will be able to cash out all of their crypto gains for Tether so I don’t see why this is a problem.

They will have plenty of tether to go around and if there isn’t enough they’ll just print more.

I hear they’re doing that already.

Edit: just to be clear I’m being sarcastic and everyone is hosed if enough people want the cash these coins are “worth.”

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

That's the entire point of tether though?

Naa, you can print it and then buy bitcoin to force/keep the price up to prevent people from panic selling.