Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

i saw this thread because of a butt shooting coins out ad banner, buy the dip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Burt Sexual posted:

So I met up again with my local small town crypto believer tonight. He hangs at the same pub. He brings this poo poo up unprompted. It’s weird. Was btc, changed to eth, now stable coins. I asked about tether and he said that’s a scam! I asked how tether and btc are tied, he didn’t know. Now he said he made six figures last year while his wife was nodding at me. It’s the only in the wild guy I’ve ever seen. Says he’s paying taxes.

What is this stable(lol)coin poo poo?

My head was askew as I’m the only guy he knows that actually know how this poo poo works. Exchanges, pki that I had to explain, hash algorithms, etc.

Tether is a "fiat currency backed stablecoin" whatever the gently caress that is. So, basically anything that is "AS GOOD AS DOLLARS/YEN/EUROS/GBP" whatthefuckever is considered a stablecoin.

Apparently they're supposed to be coins that are not subject to market volatility, but what I don't get is how they think that people will give them real money for their fake money when the whole house of cards is finally collapsing?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nice

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Heath posted:

The real loss.jpg

Quick someone make a loss edit

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Perfection

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Tashilicious posted:

this is terrible.

Dog cocks with a sheathe don't have a human style glans.

Furries just pick and choose what parts of what anatomy comes from what creature in order to make something that they would not mind loving/being hosed by.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

XK posted:

JohnnieWalker was the real galaxy mind of early bitcointalk forums. He was trying to hock all kinds of stuff, and started offering silver ingots he melted himself. Some dude bought one and complained on the bt forums that it looked like poo poo and assayed below promised purity by quite a bit. Then JW explained his whole process of adding in more pure pieces of silver he got somewhere, 90-95% pure type stuff. He would melt a bunch of silverware and other junk, then add in his "pure pieces", and he would hit 99% somehow? Plus he added a little extra to make up for his guesstimating.

Then he posted videos of him making silver ingots. It was basically him on his landlord's porch, melting poo poo in a pot on the ground with a blow torch, then hammering it on the concrete basement floor, and sanding it with a power drill with a sanding disk on it, almost taking body parts off.

The original dude who complained responded to all this by posting something like, "Yeah, that explains it."

Somebody has to have those old videos, please.

JohnnieWalker didn't know that silverware (even actual silver, silverware) is just plated. What a dork.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Motronic posted:

But.....actual silverware is like 92.5% silver. That's the legal definition of "sterling silver". "Silverware" that is not pure silver but instead plated with silver is generally called "silver plate". That's an entirely different thing, even though people refer to lots of things that look like utensils are "silverware".

JohnnieWalker is an idiot, but don't join him by talking poo poo about things you don't know anything about.

Huh, I learned something today, however I kinda doubt that JohnnieWalker was using sterling silver for his ramshackle smelting attempts, also the whole thing was just stupid entirely and my brain hurts now thinking about how he came to a "yes this is how this works"

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Fagmaster posted:

well i gave bitcoin a chance after all, but its not working :confused:

i just ran my microwave empty while keeping the fridge door open and yelled words like "hash rate", "satoshi", "moon lamborghini", "blockchain" and "community in the desert build around the blockchain"

so why im not a billionaire now? what gives?

I chuckled more than I should have imagining someone standing in their kitchen screaming HASH RATE while their microwave melts down.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Someone needs to rework graey alien's riddick post to buttcoins.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

3416 lol

welcome to shitcoin hellworld :jerky:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

slopes for the slope throne

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

There's still kool-aid in the punch bowl

BUY THE DIP

HODL

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

B U Y T H E B U N D L E

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Bitcoin can only go up up up

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Lol HTC is releasing a "blockchain-based smartphone" how and why in the gently caress would I want a bitcoin smartphone?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Lolie posted:

In the time it took me to capture that and upload it to imgur, BTC dropped to 3195.

Make that 3180.

So the 3200 floor was just as fake as 3300 and 3400 etc

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Need a cryptotruths one

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Gadzuko posted:

How 👏 Can 👏 Floors 👏 Be 👏 Real 👏 If 👏 Our 👏 Coins 👏 Aren't 👏 Real

Needs twitter claps

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

ketamine-2-go is not a legitimate business

Thread title

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Good god, MLR really believes all the Bitcoin poo poo

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

go into the light bitcoin ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4Dc-J_mD7c

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

let's not be so hasty now. the gox coins will come back some time in 2019 and when everyone gets them, they'll finally crash the market entirely trying to discard them as fas as possible

funds are safu

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 18, 2018

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

gary oldmans diary posted:

i drank some water instead of buying a drink and made myself a cool $1.50
from $0.00 to $1.50 is literally infinity return on investment (i didnt pay for the water :ssh: )

had to give a copy of my ID and social security card to the water exchange guy though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVZxjVJz4ds

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

good

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Rectal Death Adept posted:

In three years, Coinbase will become the largest supplier of blockchain based computer systems. All financial systems are upgraded with Coinbase computers, becoming fully unmanned. Afterwards, they trade with a perfect operational record. The Bitcoin Funding Bill is passed. The system goes online on August 4th, 2021. Human decisions are removed from the blockchain. Bitcoin begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 AM, Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcNXq5DUZnk

lmk when the mining asics pick up guns and kill humans for opressing them

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ignoranus posted:

I was reading the Bloomberg article about Tether being investigated and it got me to wondering what the upside is to running/administrating Tether (if it wasn't a scam)? If I'm understanding correctly, they should have $1 US in the bank for every tether. Are they allowed to invest that in any way? Would they be collecting interest passively from the (totally real and legit, we swear) bank while it sat there?

The foundation of the entire currency is bullshit, much like any other cryptocurrency, but Tether is the most widely accepted double-bullshit currency. There are less than negative dollars to back any amount of USDT, it was created solely because coinbase doesn't have any cash assets to cover their obligations because they loving lit all the money given to them on fire and did rails of coke off of expensive hookers asses etc.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Zamujasa posted:

I thought Tether was from Bitfinex, not Coinbase? loving hell there're too many scams to keep track of

I thought it was coinbase not bitfinex, lol I've lost track of which scam is which, but the substance of the post is the same. USDT was created because the people running the exchange went wolf of wall street and blew all those fiat dollars on hookers and blow, and don't have a loving thing to back any of the bitcoin "assets" they hold for people.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

This represents how I feel about the state of cryptocurrency rn

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Master Twig posted:

Buttcoin is pretty funny. But guys. Guys.

Bitcon.

*snort*

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Did we learn how much bitcoin MLR has converted over to filthy fiat currency?

The only people who convert back to filthy fiat currency are those who have broken the faith and do not hodl

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

when the price gets inflated ma
drop it like it's hot
drop it like it's hot
drop it like it's hot
when the feds think of taxin ya
park it like it's hot
park it like it's hot
park it like it's hot
if nocoiners get an attitude
post it like it's hot
post it like it's hot
post it like it's hot

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

i have my butts stacked up in piles and tripped over them, hit my head really hard, and got the idea for buttcoins

-fin

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Risc1911 posted:

BREAKING: Central Bank Reports Prove Bitfinex / Tether DO NOT Have Banking in the Bahamas with Deltec

https://blog.zerononcense.com/2018/12/22/breaking-central-bank-reports-prove-bitfinex-tether-do-not-have-banking-in-the-bahamas-with-deltec/

Holy poo poo MLR is gonna fuckin die when he reads this

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Who here actually is involved in cryptocurrency anymore? I'm pretty sure everyone here is just gathered around to watch the price crash to zero so we can all have a hearty laugh

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

poverty goat posted:

tcc is still buying drugs with bitcoins without a care in the world

proposal: a forum for "responsible drug users" and "harm reduction"

reality: a man falls through the earth and into parisian catacombs. taking a torch from the wall he spies row upon row of skeletons. grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes it madly, yelling "my nigga have u tried lsd"

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

idk man that BATman token looks suspiciously like crypto to me, and the fact that the developer is doing funny poo poo like stripping ads and donation buttons out of a website (Ads i could give less than a poo poo about, hurray for him, but donate buttons is a bigger issue) and replacing them with stupid bullshit that purchases their bullshit BATcoin (that they then do not report to the person whose donate buttons they replaced), is a pretty big deal in my mind.

It's pretty sleazy yo.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

H2SO4 posted:

I was at the datacenter we rent space in today when I noticed some new hardware.

Rack mount enclosure with no lid, stuffed with 8 1070s, plenty of wiring bodges to go with it.

These were up higher in the cage:

I’m guessing those are ASIC miners.

Sorry for the photo quality, shooting through rack doors doesn’t help focus. I have to think that this is someone that works at the datacenter though, there’s no way you can rent an entire rack at a colo and come anywhere close to breaking even.

I'm surprised that you were allowed to take a camera phone into the data hall, most usually forbid it. It could be a Bitcoin truther who is banking on holding that Bitcoin they mine in the hopes that Bitcoin goes back to the moon somehow, though I doubt it's someone who works in the data hall because a rack is expensive and no single employee is gonna have enough money to do that. They can maybe slide a server they own in along with other people's poo poo, but a Bitcoin mining setup is unlikely.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 26, 2018

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

That mining pool is getting mighty small, and he may be part of a larger pool anyways to reduce the odds of missing out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

I worked at a datacenter where every employee was allowed to have a tower colo'd for free. You'd walk past the employee row and get blasted with super hot air because every single tower there was mining.

That's a hell of a fringe benefit, I wish HP had allowed me the same thing.