Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Yes, this project is dedicated to finding a new, innovative way to steal from people. Yes, taking part does require you to install a rootkit on your computer on our behalf. What’s with that look? Don’t you want to take part in the perfect crime and prove how much of a smartboy computer whiz you are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The Pirate Captain posted:

That sucks. Dan, you suck, give me my video.

But seriously, there are always going to be crazy people posting crazy things and not all of them need to be included. The interesting stuff are the mass delusions that the whole sub goes in for, not the little one-offs that only hook a couple people.

Supposedly there is a hearing on September 12 where the fate of BBBY will be announced for good, but there are still going to be people who deny reality. Gotta stop somewhere.

It’s not just a one-off, it’s also part of a larger trend of BBBY memestock community people trying to read legal filings like tea leaves as if the language in them is open to interpretation rather than legal jargon with extremely well-established meaning.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

PotatoJudge posted:

Chinese real estate developer Evergrande filed for Chapter 15 bankruptcy today. That's the company whose commercial paper Tether had giant piles of as assets to back USDT's price.

Not to worry, they have backup reserves of assets that just so happen to be worth the same as what they had valued their Evergrande paper at before this happened, so Tether still has its backing. No you can’t see them!!!!!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Stupid people don’t ask other people to provide feedback on whether a potential job opportunity might be a scam and then learn a lesson when everyone tells them it is. Stupid people walk right into it with the full confidence that they are far too smart to ever be scammed.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Lammasu posted:

So are people like SBF the reason there is an Adderall shortage?

He’s actually increasing the total global supply of Adderall by taking copious amounts of weird research chemicals that are so hosed up that the body has to process them into Adderall as part of the process of filtering them out. The shortage would end instantly if we could find a way to get it out of his bloodstream.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Elias_Maluco posted:

I cant even understand wtf he is selling. For me is just a huge string of buzzwords

I think I’ve been pointing and laughing at this stuff for too long because the instant I read “passport” I was like “Ah, vaguely defined crypto/metaverse garbage. Got it.”

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Some apes believe in the “infinity pool” theory which goes thusly: because there are soooo many fake shares of xyz stock floating around because of naked shorting, it would be possible for a relatively small group of people to acquire all of the real shares, ensuring they are real using some method. 1 Once we, the apes, have collectively acquired a number of real shares equal to the number of outstanding shares, we just need to hodl until something triggers the short squeeze. 2 At that point shorts will need to buy real shares to cover, but they won’t be able to because we have all of them, and we refuse to sell. 3 Therefore the offer price (and therefore the value of our shares) just goes up and up and up infinitely. Once our shares have effectively infinite value, we won’t need to sell them. We can use them as collateral for loans which we will invest smartly (because we are genius investors) to make huge profits, allowing us to make generation wealth from shares we don’t even have to sell!

1This basically always involves DRS but there can also be any number of steps that are required on top of DRSing, such as making sure you have a whole number of shares.

2 Theories about what the squeeze catalyst will be vary wildly and change upon being disproven but invariably involve Ryan Cohen. Example: Ryan Cohen does a reverse merger to fuse GME and BBBY into TEDDY to force shorts to close.

3 We apes are a super tight-knit group and there is no way that any of us would ever sell a share to make huge money instantly at the expense of the other apes. However, we are also individual investors who are definitely not blatantly conspiring to cause a short squeeze, because that would be a crime.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Thesaurus posted:

Hmm. Is there still time to get in on this?

Unfortunately, because apes are such a committed and steadfast bunch, nobody is selling. Therefore it is impossible to purchase Gamestock or The Company Formerly Known as Bed Bath and Beyond stock right now.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Rad Russian posted:

3 cryptic photos of the interior are available. It is totally not a place where you'll get your kidney stolen after buying a Doge-flavored drink for crypto.

Looks like the inside of somebody’s house.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Dancing Peasant posted:

I don’t know if this should go in the Schad thread or not. My YT feed recommended this video:

https://youtu.be/-t5e0rFhuYc?si=Sx243fLEtWdg_vmr

It’s mostly sad crypto stories (with a segment on a guy getting his brain examined to reveal the same wavelength as a gambler), but it’s just interesting to see how bad the debts are.

Jesus Christ this is bleak.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Talorat posted:

So what is BBBYQ I saw some people posting insane stuff about that as well, is that also the same thing?

Someone could probably explain it better but afaik when a stock trades for under a dollar for long enough it gets taken off the actual stock exchanges and starts being traded over the counter, which basically means all the trading is done via middlemen who facilitate trades of lovely penny stocks. When that happened to BBBY its ticker became BBBYQ.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

VitalSigns posted:

But aren't the apes BBBY shareholders, wouldn't they want the judge to overturn provisions that make it hard for shareholders to sue?

As a general rule of thumb, apes are against things that would benefit them and in favor of whatever causes them to lose the most money.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

zetamind2000 posted:

the husk of bbby destroys the stock market

“He has a whole book about china”

“A whole book” in this case is a children’s book roughly as long and dense as Goodnight Moon.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Fur20 posted:

how long before they start giving up? surely there's a point where they each individually realize, it ain't happening

The problem is that because of the cult mentality and the hard line against negativity, the ones who give up don’t let anyone know when they do it. Why would they? I sure as gently caress wouldn’t. Instead they just quietly disappear.

This leads to an interesting dynamic where the more apes get a clue, the dumber ape communities become. This is because whenever a development occurs and inevitably reveals their theory about it to be incorrect, the smartest ones decide that enough is enough and quietly leave the community. The ones that remain, then, are those that were not smart enough for that event to clue them in that they were wrong.

Instead you can look at either volume of activity or stupidity of the overall narrative. For example: The BBBY ape community at large used to agree that their company going bankrupt would obviously be a bad thing, and insisted it would never do so. I can’t prove it directly but I guarantee that when they did file for bankruptcy, a poo poo ton of them sold their shares and got out. Logically, the remainder are those that were dumb enough to believe that maybe bankruptcy isn’t so bad.

So in conclusion there will never be a time that they all collectively say “welp we were wrong”, instead the groups will just keep getting smaller and dumber. I predict that a year from now there will be a community of 50-100 BBBY apes discussing when RC will revive the company and make them rich.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Bankman and Fried’s FTXcellent Adventure

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Cyrano4747 posted:

That whole thread with the back and forth between the judge, prosecutor, and defense is worth a read. Some good poo poo in there.

Is there currently a good way of reading Twitter threads if you don’t have a Twitter account?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Wolfsbane posted:

Nitter.net

Oh cool, I tried to use Nitter last week or so and the site wouldn't load so I assumed Musk did something or another to make it stop working.

JammyB posted:

Get the Redirector plugin for Firefox or Chrome. Then set up a redirect:
code:
Include pattern: https://twitter.com/*
Redirect to: https://nitter.net/$1
Pattern type: wildcard

Hey this works great, thanks!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

WE WILL NOT LOSE! Think about it.
It is time. Time for these crooks to get what they deserve. They have pushed this system to collapse, even without us. This is why it is time.
The system will implode by design. Then big bailouts and all the money goes back to the banks and big guys..... until now.
We are supposed to be free money right at the end (like a golden parachute for c.e.os but billions.)
But we will not sell, we flipped the table at exactly the right time, giving the "good guys" the green light to full send. Standing by them and continuously buying more shows them that we are determined and solid as fuk.
So think about it really.
There is an nft stock market waiting for the right time to be revealed. Sweet how does that work.
Think of the nft as a serial number and thats it. Right now its 1 of 500million per say. If those 500 million are not in the same place (drs) noone can track the float. That changes, the system would error and say duplicate. No more synthetic shares.. a true and real market.
Fuk Amazon.
Piece of poo poo billionaires destroy good companies and filter them to Amazon, Amazon makes bank and they gain control..
Enter teddy 🧸.
What a great name for the new Amazon.
Ok so new market....
Who would join? Everyone .. why?
So many companies are shorted to oblivion, when they need to raise money, they can't or have to use so many shares to do it because of fuckery. That all stops. We will decide what a company is worth.
When Teddy pops who will be under them on the new market.? Let's see,
Chewy Bbby Gme Blockbuster Sears
And so many more. When a company sees the success of this, they will all move. I didn't list bbbyq there because they may become the teddy shares. All traded on gmerica. Think of the people we suspect being involved directly or indirectly.
So when this happens realise that we have completely shattered Amazon in
Pet food and supplies, Gaming, Baby stuff, Movies (blockbuster prime.), Clothing, Home decor.
CHECKMATE BITCH!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

At some point he's going to stop doing this bit, right?

Yeah, whenever people stop sending him money for it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Apparently today’s peepee show made the peepee guy like $15k. Jesus christ why did my parents have to raise me with morals and integrity I could be making so much money off these dipshits!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Mercury_Storm posted:

What's the scam? Tell the rubes to buy penny stocks so the price goes up just long enough for him to sell slightly higher? if so that seems maybe illegal

The apes want to hear people affirm their beliefs, and this PP guy does so on stream and also creates an environment in the stream + his subreddit where only belief-affirming speech is allowed, so they clap and give him money. He claims to be way into BBBY but never actually shows how much he has invested, and I guarantee that on the off chance he has invested more than a pittance it is still less than 1% of what he makes with the stream.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Look, I'm going to laugh at them, but you also have to respect the grift.

If I could get 1/4 of $15k (assuming the bear gets an equal share) for a couple hours doing any of that for an audience of credulous morons? gently caress, I'd probably sit between Teddy, Mr. Vape, and Vanilla Ice there all day.

I’m not so sure that Kais is getting a cut of the takings. Maybe they paid for his flight out, but otherwise? I think he’s there as a PP fan who is honored to be there. He’s a true believer, completely demented, and I am genuinely concerned that his story is going to end with him killing someone who he perceives to be part of the anti-BBBY hedge fund conspiracy.

Earlier I joked about wishing I was enough of a scumbag to do what Mr. PP is going but honestly I think it is a bit risky. The ape communities are inherently paranoid and conspiratorially minded and that factor compounds over time as they get smaller and more insular. The best case scenario for someone who these people consider a hero is to gradually fade into obscurity. That way can move on to the next thing without acknowledging that the person probably left them behind. This PP guy can’t really do that because has made himself the central focal point of the remaining diehards. When he moves on to the next scam, the apes will notice, and it will come at a time where they have lost everything and are looking for someone to blame. So this scam might make him rich, but it also might get his house burned down with him inside it by a lunatic who thinks he stopped them from becoming a billionaire.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

Might I suggest breaking off the meme stock talk into its own thread? I'm just here for Bitcoin laughs, the meme stock crowd is too broke-brained even for me.

Okay sure, I can understand why someone might want to read about blockchain nonsense which has led to one of the biggest bankruptcies in U.S. history and the financial ruin of millions but not a bunch of internet losers who scream at each other about failing company stock.

Here's a new thread.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

God I can’t wait for the Tether collapse. I have no idea when it will happen, but I am positive it will not happen until every other major thing in the crypto industry has collapsed. Maybe when Binance goes down it will happen.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

evilweasel posted:

...who is paying for the verified checkmark for this?

Elon Musk. Game respects game.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

cruft posted:

10 seconds is a long time. I wonder what was going on in that 10 seconds. Was she just sitting there with her mouth open staring at a bench? Was she nervously picking lint off her clothes? Was she pointing in a wide arc across the courtroom until landing on SBF?

This is the SBF they were used to seeing:

This is the SBF they saw:

Sam has been hardened by long nights with no shrimp and no ability to publicly admit to crimes from sweet young boy to grizzled inmate.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I think that it is totally unfair BS to judge someone based on their ancestry, genetic traits, or appearance.

Hmm, wonder what Caroline Ellison thinks of that.

quote:

There’s a stereotype of racist people that they will assume any East Asian person speaks Chinese or something. I appreciate that HBD people are the exact opposite of that, and will make fun of you for saying something about ‘Indians’ without specifying province and caste because come on, the genetic differences there are massive.

Wow, turns out this mega-rich wannabe intellectual is a eugenicist. Whodathunkit!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Come on your honor, can't you just give us the contact information of your own addy hookup?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Desert Bus posted:

I think the biggest thing that pisses me off about all these tech bro assholes is their complete inability to successfully utilize the total access to drugs and also understand the ramifications of them. Just like they do no loving research.

SBF with his dumb patches, Musk "micro-dosing" ketamine etc.

1 million/year and i would be the world's most productive space cadet

Research is something you do when you don’t know something though. Why would I, someone who has made a lot of money using technology, need to do research? :confused:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Deptfordx posted:

Yeah doing nothing, i.e. not testifying does really seem like giving up at this point , but I'm not a law talking guy. :shrug:

I'm also not a law talking guy; My understanding is that giving your side of the story is something you generally want to avoid doing to the fullest possible extent. That is exactly what you are paying your lawyer(s) to do on your behalf.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

tango alpha delta posted:

Video games have actually helped my spatial awareness and reflexes, helping me be a better driver. I have absolutely nothing against video games. Or rock and roll.

So you’re saying that the stuff you grew up with was actually fine and good and the hysteria surrounding it was nonsense, but the stuff kids these days are growing up with really is going to turn them into useless zombies? What a novel thought.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

PurpleXVI posted:

That it has "demonstrably failed" brings up the questions of "failed at what" and "failed who."

Because has it failed to build a better, more equitable society for everyone? Yes. Has it failed at being sustainable? Yes. Has it failed the vast majority of people who live under it? Yes. Is it literally failing to keep the Earth capable of sustaining life as we know it? Yes.

Has it failed to centralize wealth, both liquid and assets, within a narrow group of people and companies? No. Has it failed to make them incredibly rich? No. Has it failed to give the illusion to people that they could be the next mega-trillionaire if just neoliberalism is given a bit longer leash so they can start up their child labour uranium mine in the back yard of their Air BnB? No.

So I think the answer to "why is it still in charge" is that "it's very profitable for powerful people" and "they convince non-powerful people that it could be profitable for them, too." The alternatives are consistently very bad at actually messaging to ordinary people that it would improve their lives, or to get through their mental shield against the perception that they are ordinary and not life's protagonists.

Will it successfully prevent the invention of an evil future AI that creates copies of people and tortures them? That will depend on whether that jury decides to send SBF to jail for all this silly “crime” nonsense before he can do something about this very important issue.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

This honestly looks super photoshopped. It’s very believable to me that someone would have poor enough taste to get a table like this but this particular image just doesn’t look real.

cruft posted:

My brother-in-law was at one point mining bitcoins in the PNW and actually turning a profit. I didn't pry too hard about it, he's an intelligent person and I believe him. His case was also strengthened by him not constantly sounding off about how awesome Bitcoin is, although he's quite proud of the cooling setup he built, using his industrial control engineering expertise.

It's almost like the more effort people put into convincing me they're Really Smart About Things, the less likely I am to believe them! Isn't that weird?

Well from now on whenever the record for “hottest summer ever recorded” is broken (which is to say almost every summer for the rest of our lifetimes) go ahead and give your very intelligent brother a heartfelt “great work!” on my behalf.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

ullerrm posted:

Sadly, someone found the creator and confirmed that it was real.

Do you think he gets annoyed when people don't use a coaster?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The Lone Badger posted:

Juries really like it when the defendant takes the stand, so if you think you're probably going to lose as things stand it can be a reasonable gamble. As long as your client knows how to shut up.

https://youtu.be/idoYCVLh2qI

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Three Olives posted:

It was probably much faster, when I sent someone away for life we basically were all in agreement that they were guilty as all gently caress and then spent like hours debating hypotheticals and debating racial justice before we were all finally like, OK, we have beaten this horse to death, guy is guilty as gently caress right? Right. Inform the judge!

https://twitter.com/molcranenewman/status/1720229239100760169

Dude finally realized how hosed he is.

That makes sense. Like, "we can all see this person is undoubtedly guilty, but given that we are deciding whether or not to permanently deprive a person of their freedom, we are ethically obligated to consider every possible argument against the obvious conclusion."

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Quotey posted:

Shame Molly White didn’t cover the prosecution/SBF cross.

She actually went to New York to watch it in person and then debrief in livestreams.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL870ZiG2I9IK9PyZwRreDyaNrYrrgIYxR

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

spunkshui posted:

2 years ago it was worth 60,000-70,000

So being down 50% is exciting?

lol

At any given moment Bitcoin is worth more than it was at some point previously, which is bullish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

You haven't heard the last of me goons! Next time Bitcoin hits a milestone, I'll be back! And then when it loses 50% of its value in two months and slowly climbs back up to that milestone, I'll return once more! You can't stop the future of currency!