Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

abigserve posted:

Incredible that someone could just say "all these ones and zeros are backed by real us dollars" and not only does nobody check, nobody cares lmao

I am an Old, and had never heard of Tether till I idly wandered into this thread to see what the hell was happening with crypto.

This

quote:

While, according to its 2021 settlement with the New York Attorney General Letitia James, "Tether represents to users that any holder of tethers can redeem them from Tether the company at the rate of one tether for one U.S. dollar",[5] Tether Limited as of 2017 stated that owners of tethers have no contractual right, other legal claims, or guarantee that tethers will or can be redeemed or exchanged for dollars.[6] On 30 April 2019, Tether Limited's lawyer claimed that each tether was backed by $0.74 in cash and cash equivalents.[7][8] In May 2021, Tether published a report showing that only 2.9% of Tether was backed by cash, with over 49.6% backed by commercial paper.[9][10][11]

is literally in the second paragraph of Tether's wiki article.

Literally WTF people?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Looking at the rest of his feed, his 2.8 million is currently worth $1000.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

alnilam posted:

A friend linked me to a really good article (imo) on what the ever living gently caress terra/luna actually is, good read for anyone who has no loving clue what is going on other than lmaos.

As usual with crypto stuff, it's stupider than you could have imagined.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2022-05-11/terra-flops

That's a really good read, adding my thanks.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Help us Obi-Wan Kenobi Elon Musk. You're our only hope.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

I get that Tether was a scam at the end of the day, but I read a few articles about it and still do not understand how it was suppose to work and how that relates to bitcoin.

The link below has a really good detailed explanation

alnilam posted:

A friend linked me to a really good article (imo) on what the ever living gently caress terra/luna actually is, good read for anyone who has no loving clue what is going on other than lmaos.

As usual with crypto stuff, it's stupider than you could have imagined.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2022-05-11/terra-flops

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Straight to the moon center of the Earth!

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

But if LUNA falls low enough it'll wrap around till it's infinitely valuable, and we who doubted will weep at the sight of the digital golden gods who rule us now.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Honestly. I'm always a little impressed by behaviour like this.

I couldn't manage the level of brazen self-confidence to pull something like that, if you replaced my entire circulatory system with uncut cocaine.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Lol. One of the clauses for termination of the Twitter deal is fraud on their data.

Looks to me like Musk is looking for a face saving way of backing out of the deal.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I've had that Luna value ticker in a side window all morning, and goddamn it's bouncing up and down like you released a Slinky from the top of Everest.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

"Then Debbie will be sorry for not going to Prom with me".:argh:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

From a website I was just reading

quote:

Is Luna Recovering?

In terms of sheer price, Luna has not recovered to where it was, but has risen from its all-time low. At the time of publication, the price of Luna is $0.0003 - a decline of 99.9% in the last seven days, but still up over 30,000% from its low.

quote:

The past 24 hours have been the most stable for Luna since the crash. It is 5% up in the last day.

That's a LOL (bolding mine)

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Juul-Whip posted:

another amazing collection of unique digital artworks
https://twitter.com/HangryHippoNFT/status/1519110428416118784

I tried reading that webpage but all I could see was *COLOSSAL SCAM* flashing in giant neon letters across the page everytime I looked at it.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Mercury_Storm posted:

I'm more surprised they had a legal team to begin with

Just one guy.

Bob.

Fresh out of law school.

Only job was to give two thumbs up and say "That's probably legal" :shrug: when asked a question.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

staberind posted:

Some people prefer to remain silent about stuff they are unsure of in order to not look ignorant, but me?
me? no way man, my ignorance is a shining beacon of "hey fella's i dont understaaaaand" and theres absolutely no shame in wanting to absorb new and exciting facts.

tl;dr: what tf is a slurp?

Not much. What's a slurp with you?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah seriously. I mean there must be such a thing as Crypto Girls, but I bet they ain't common.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

nachos posted:

I have a hard time believing people who stashed their money in UST also had the discipline to save 150k for 20 years.

Especially with what sounds like multiple medical expenses.

I would assume either a fraction of the claimed 150k was invested when what they put it in was much lower, and they're counting they're theoretical gains as losses. Or could just have been an inheritance.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

In the current crypto market that's extremely competitive.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Wait.

So their President did the equivalent of 'Can't pay these bills. Better max out all these credit cards, and place it all on Black'

:psyduck:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I see that Luna has managed to add a 4th zero after that decimal point today.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

No one. Will EVER. Steal your apes.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

JammyB posted:

This sucks.. not only is my degree in Economics, Finance and Banking completely worthless due to upcoming cryptocoin supremacy, but also I was foolish enough to receive it on physical, eco-destoying, fungible paper.

You fool!

Why I could break into your house, steal your diploma, and be running the Federal Reserve by this time tommorow.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Skarsnik posted:

Is this what getting old feels like :saddowns:

I dont understand a single bit of any of that

'Johnny. Go explain crypto to your Grandad Skarsnik again'

'Muuuuuum! I just did that last week!'

'Use small words, he get's confused.'

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

A 40% APY?

Wow, one secret the banks don't want you to know.

*Looks at HEX price*

Oh. :cawg:

But the website assured me they were building a mighty financial empire using load-bearing tissue paper!

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Both

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Mr President. We cannot allow an ape gap!

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

smellmycheese posted:

Long winded explanations aside - it also, like so many of these Crypto “thefts” , absolutely reeks of being an inside job and a scam masquerading as a “hack”

Indeed, reading the story I was immediately "Oh yeah someone on the inside totally just stole it"

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Oh I'm sure he's going to suffer very real and meaningful consequences. :rolleyes:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Micheal Saylor 4 days ago

quote:

Instead of going away or dumping to zero, BTC will shoot up to $1 million

also

quote:

“It’s obviously better than gold and everything that gold wants to be,”

LOL.

Also BTC is now over 9000 under 25k

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Standard issue psychopath billionaire, who's gone heavily into crypto.

This

quote:

#Bitcoin is a swarm of cyber hornets serving the goddess of wisdom, feeding on the fire of truth, exponentially growing ever smarter, faster, and stronger behind a wall of encrypted energy.

is the pinned tweet on his Twitter :psyduck:

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jun 13, 2022

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Vesi posted:

In December 2000, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission brought charges against the company and its executives.[14] A lawsuit was subsequently filed against MicroStrategy and certain of its officials over fraud.[15] In December 2000, Saylor, Bansal, and the company's former CFO settled with the SEC without admitting wrongdoing, each paying $350,000 in fines.

I wonder if they were openly laughing scornfully when they paid that fine, or had they enough restraint to just quietly be sniggering behind their hand.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

drat, going to dip below 23k any moment now.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...Vkz2PquVtodgvXD

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

LifeSunDeath posted:

Having a dystopian vision where Crypto is the new money, and every time you go to the store for something you get micro deflated as a bait and switch, so like while you're at Kroger suddenly your net worth gets cut in half but you leave and it goes back up...so you end up having to pay double for poo poo.

It's the ultimate bait and switch because you didn't change the price, you just force the rube's money to get valuleless temporarily.

Yeah, I can never get over how volatile these prices are. Not just in exceptional circumstances like today, but over time.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

Now is the winter of our discount ape.

:golfclap:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

priznat posted:

YGG was ok with it probably because recouping their initial investment in crypto counts as a massive win these days lol.

If they dragged it out in court the DAO would probably be bankrupt by the time they get a judgement I bet was the reasoning

That's got to be the explanation, they'll probably be grateful shortly that they managed to get that much before it blew up.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Is that a thing? They can price-wash the coins just swapping them back and forth with themselves?

Yeah I saw someone else reference that earlier, and I was wondering if and how that worked as well.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

orange sky posted:

Celsius doesn't allow anyone to withdraw, and a million people use that if you believe their numbers. Tether has printed billions in past situations like this, but you can't really be sure there aren't other stable coins doing the same right now.

At the end of the day there are also many rubes who think this is a great moment to average down, so I believe that there may be people buying at this price.

So presumable they're about to implode, or going to have to let their customers withdraw their money again, then implode?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The asterisk leads to a footnote which just reads "Lol, gently caress you. We're stealing everything"

Edit: Also , I'm not sure where the line between credulity and wilful idiocy is. But "90% APY, sure. Seems legit", definitely crosses it.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

susan b buffering posted:

hey please remove your avatar since it's not a hex, or otherwise prove you own that NFT.

That sick bastard! That ape has a family! Hundreds of them, all slightly different.