Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mike12345 posted:

Had to check if the pope really tweeted something that sounds like the Nike marketing department. Not sure why they doctored it, but the original message is "we communicate life". Or maybe he deleted it, whatever weird

The phony Pope can be identified by his Nike sneakers and incredibly foul mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Itchy and Scratchy Money?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Normal cryptocurrency is just filthy digital fiat now because everyone is involved with it. people are trying to re-capture the magic of the early days of bitcoin where you were seen as an outsider and revolutionary for buying in.

That's why these guys are lusting for the death of the actual popular cryptocurrencies. You would think they would support the ones that actually managed to go somewhere as a proof of concept but they hate them because they aren't artisinal hand-crafted cryptocurrencies.

It's because the only point of being a crypto early adopter is to take advantage and become the new oligarchs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

mp5 posted:

coinboy beebop

Remember the Woolong Device

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

mp5 posted:

i'd never heard of this and tbh just swooped into the thread to make the pun but wow I have been given a gift, thanks

A pursuit I respect

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I make Bitcoin Super

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's a Dune joke in here somewhere.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Devian666 posted:

So the tl;dr version of CME bitcoin futures is that; bitcoin is going to Atlantis. So much for the moon.

Posadistcoin.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Over population is a myth. Like the problem in the rest of that post isn't that there's too many people. But the dynamic with management and hiring at companies

No one wants to admit that not only do we not need to have everyone working all the time, but in fact it's extremely unaffordable to even try to do so.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Razorwired posted:

My favorite in my home area was the company rep that flew from China to East Washington, drove to the actual hydroelectric dam, and asked at the gate "May I see the dam master? I'd like to buy a large amount of electricity."

I really want to hear details if there are any

I'm p sure the dam master was what everyone wanted to be in Fallout New Vegas

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

red sampson posted:

did anyone say "the coin that makes people go insane to buy more butts because big butts are the best coin, only to find out the biggest butt coin lied?"

I thought liking big butts meant you cannot lie

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And here I thought Bitcoin was about to pull off the 8-Bit Theatre trick of being so disconnected from reality it can't fail.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Is it still almost impossible to actually get Bitcoin paid out in USD at those rates?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Collateral Damage posted:

This is good for Bitcoin because... *rolls dice*

:rolldice:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Just do the xkcd comic where they beat the nerd's laptop encryption by beating him with a crowbar until he spills the password

possibly turning into a chain as he forgot his password and needs to reset it, and repeats that a couple of times because he hasn't used that email in years

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

One guy commits suicide by driving a Segway off a cliff

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There Bias Two posted:

If you get on a Segway, you're already dead on some level anyway.

The joke was more that I'm pretty sure the founder of Segway did exactly that

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Terrible Opinions posted:

I mean yeah agreed, but why is benzo overdose your preferred way of killing off all boomers?

boomers all crushed under pianos

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Darth Brooks posted:

At this point it feels like every Bitcoin enthusiast should be looked at as a grifter looking for a mark.

I'm pretty sure a massive percentage of them are both, literally everything I've seen about bitcoin is delusional grifters grifting grifters top to bottom

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rectal Death Adept posted:

wide stance was turned into a true believer by that shitcoin pedophile that got permabanned (not seraph84)

When they all blindly bought in to a random shitcoin and had like 500x returns (on paper) in 2017 they were all convinced of both their stunning intellect, foresight and intelligence and the possibilities of cryptocurrency in general.

It later crashed but their brains were broken so now a couple of them forever haunt crypto threads on these forums, being bitter and condescending toward goons about cryptocurrency because their random gamble on a worthless shitcoin worked.

This is basically the fringe finance equivalent of Al Bundy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sarern posted:

One, two, three, four, five
Every rig is mining, come on let's ride
To the parts store around the corner
The boys say they want some graphics cards
But I really don't wanna
Lights out like I had last week
Better sell coins because talk is cheap
I like Litecoin, Tether, Stellar, Ethereum
And as I continue you know they getting sweeter
So what can I do? I really beg you my Lord
To me mining is just like a sport
It's all good, let me dump it, please set in the trumpet

A little bit of Litecoin in my life
A little bit of Tether by my side
A little bit of Bitcoin is all I need
A little bit of Ethereum is what I see
A little bit of Cosmos in the sun
A little bit of Stellar all night long
A little bit of Dogecoin, here I am
A little bit of you makes me your man

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I still say bitcoiners fall for scams so eagerly for the same reason retirees send all their money to Nigerian princes; they ultimately just want something to acknowledge their existence.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rai stones are the giant stones used as a form of currency in that one Pacific island, right? And there's one which is one the bottom of the sea because the boat transporting it sank, but it's still used and traded (or was) because everyone remembers where it is.

Basically cashless currency using collective memory instead of electronics.

I feel like one of the main fallacies of bitcoiners is that they more or less presume that currency exists independently of society.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

divabot posted:

it's also THE start of every bitcoiner's history of money

because it was the start of a Nick Szabo essay on the history of money

which is all any of them have read on the history of money

including the supposed economist, Saifedean Ammous

It's kind of amazing how they can completely miss the point of even that, but then again we've all seen how many people can if anything get more ignorant the more theory they've read

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

If anything, goon contrarianism probably caused at least a few bitcoin barons, including possibly the future sight owner.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kenji Jenkins posted:

You can also google for "lottery winners" to see who became a millionaire from the lottery.

The fact that some people have made millions from the lottery doesn't mean that the lottery is a wise investment.
The fact that some people have made millions from Bitcoin doesn't mean that Bitcoin is a wise investment.

Don't a shitload of those go broke within a couple of years? Winning the lottery is pretty well documented to ruin your life.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

loving lol getting mad and demanding to know who bought an av when the whole point is it's literally impossible to tell and they could be a lurker who's never posted

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Blotto_Otter posted:

I'm starting to think that it's like toxoplasmosis and cats, touching the poop gives you brainworms that eventually compel you to Kramer your way into some discussion thread and yell at everyone that touching the poop is Good, Actually

There's just a certain kind of person that's always eagerly looking for new bad ideas to try

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Still say a ton of bitcoin scams run on bitcoiners being desperate to actually use their bitcoins for something

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Splicer posted:

What if pachinko but awkward

reminded of how they eventually took the gambling out of Pokemon because it turns out Europe and Australia have enough gambling problems without getting kids started on it early. And 51 International Games is rated M here because of the poker and blackjack.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Collateral Damage posted:

Or do you intend to keep your supposed gains entirely theoretical and eventually die content in the knowledge that "arbitrary number was big"?

Seems good enough for humanity's ruling class

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

EorayMel posted:

The Angry Video Game Nerd reviewing yet another lovely NES game but instead of the LJN logo its the rainbow bitcoin graph logo and also the game is probably an in-depth review of Wall Street Kid.

Ahhhh, good memories of that Let's Play. I wonder how it holds up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm vaguely remembering the old internet RPG ForumWarz, which seemed very goon inspired, and that its currency was a mostly useless internet fun money where among the only tangible things you could actually buy with it was various drugs, which acted as healing and buff items for the Troll class.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A big theme with bitcoiners is that they're stupid, but they think they're smart and everyone else is dumber than they are, so they're constantly ripping off each other with obvious scams, and think that other people will be impressed by random charts and buzzwords that don't mean anything.

Reminded of that r/relationships post where a guy is trying to lie to his girlfriend but sucks at it, when she points out he's trying to pass off an old cable box as a laptop he just stares and goes. "...how do you always catch me?"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Libertarians and techbro types have the same fallacy with economics that liberal centrists have with politics in general; believing that established norms, decorum and 'common wisdom' are physical laws, and being unable to comprehend when they are openly and routinely broken.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

xtal posted:

The company that paid off people to quit instead of talking about politics is racist?

Hey, they did pay them off rather than just fire them!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Nessus posted:

What blows my mind with these weirdos is not so much that they want to say "I'm right, you're wrong." That would be stupid but it is understandable. Instead there is this strange but seemingly universal narrative of, "if only you hadn't talked poo poo, perhaps you too could have become rich... but you missed your chance, and now you are upset..." It's like they have to mock up this diorama of theoretical emotional reactions of internet strangers to get off.

Reminds me of people in MLM scams who are often trained to construct narratives about why people try to talk them out of it, usually along those similar lines about how they're actually jealous, sour grapes, too afraid of success, etc

In general any narrative that goes 'They actually know we're right and they're wrong, and that makes them so mad' is laffo and a sign of someone who's on track to a helluva implosion

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm gonna guess anything a bitcoiner links is pages and pages of big braned smart guy talk with long words that doesn't actually say anything and/or makes unsubstantiated claims that are easily disproven, but doing so will just lead to throwing up more links like a squid's cloud of ink.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Grip it and rip it posted:

Did classic pyramid schemes also break the brains of idiots?

Have you SEEN what MLM people are like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Key thing is all the absurd and janky poo poo about bitcoin is what bitcoiners like. The whole mining process that was literally 'use your fancy gaming rig to make funbux!' and then escalated into making significant contributions towards climate disaster, the unwieldy protocols, difficulty of actually doing anything with it- it makes them feel smart, like elite haxxors cresting the wave of the future.