Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

how was buying computer equipment and electricity to mine supposed to give bitcoin inherent value?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

Ask yourself, if you had invested $100 in 10 bitcoins a few years back, would you have? I mean knowing what you do now?

What do I do with it now? Exchange it for real money? What then is it's value as a currency and not as an insanely volatile investment commodity?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

its value is entirely predicated on the fact that it may gain value

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

its not a currency though, spending bitcoins is like bartering bearer bonds

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

BloodyScab posted:

Thats all economic action. gently caress dude its the basis of all human action

no it isnt. if i invest in stock, there is a company behind that stock doing some kind of economic activity. if i invest in bitcoin, its driven by people investing in bitcoin.

CassandraZara posted:

You move them to an exchange only when you want to sell, limiting your exposure. For being a bunch of geniuses you sure are having trouble understanding how a literal time machine would make it near impossible to lose.

if this is a currency, why would you sell it for real currency?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

poverty goat posted:

I dunno man if you had a shitload of pesos that's just as good as dollars or euros and idk why anyone would cash that out either. I mean it's all currency

so in which country am I able to spend bitcoins as currency?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

what economic functions are you performing with your bitcoins? looking at your account balance in USD doesn't count

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

quote:

An index from cryptocurrency analyst Alex de Vries, aka Digiconomist, estimates that with prices the way they are now, it would be profitable for Bitcoin miners to burn through over 24 terawatt-hours of electricity annually as they compete to solve increasingly difficult cryptographic puzzles to "mine" more Bitcoins. That's about as much as Nigeria, a country of 186 million people, uses in a year.

This averages out to a shocking 215 kilowatt-hours (KWh) of juice used by miners for each Bitcoin transaction (there are currently about 300,000 transactions per day). Since the average American household consumes 901 KWh per month, each Bitcoin transfer represents enough energy to run a comfortable house, and everything in it, for nearly a week.

quote:

Bitcoin has two contradictory goals. On the one hand it needs everyone to have the same information. The network couldn't work if I think I have 10 coins and you think I have 5. The way this classically works is you just have an authority keep track of it, the bank. You can simply ask the bank how much money you or anyone else has in the account.
But bitcoin doesn't want a central authority so how can it keep track of who owns what and whose paid who? It uses a consensus based on whatever group has the most computing power. And they're rewarded for this work with a few new bitcoins and that reward is called 'mining'.
So 'mining' is simply the act of gathering up all the transactions the network wants to do and 'signing' it with your massive computer power and pushing it out to the world. You can't have transactions with out mining.
However bitcoin scales directly to the mining power on the network, so if everyone just closed up right and only you were left you could run all the transactions on a general purpose CPU if needed. So there is no reason it has to be wasteful, but the way it works is the greater the reward for mining the more it encourages people to waste electricity.

quote:

That 215 kWh per transaction number is out of date, since the power consumption is growing so rapidly. Last I saw, late this week, it was over 250 kWh per transaction. This is a ridiculous amount of electricity to consume per transaction. Sure, bitcoin is an interesting experiment, but the power consumption problem needs to get fixed. At some rough cost of $0.10 per kWh, that's creating a cost of $25 per transaction. Insane.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Rufio posted:

What article is that from?

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/ywbbpm/bitcoin-mining-electricity-consumption-ethereum-energy-climate-change and related comments on another forum

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Ham Sandwiches posted:

So are you equally super concerned about the number of servers wall street firms use for HFT and how many datacenters / how much combined power + cooling that is?

whats their cost per trade

edit - the more people use bitcoin, the more expensive it becomes to use. its pretty much a stupid and useless design

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Ham Sandwiches posted:

If you have a "this is how much power bitcoin uses" im curious that you care so much about power and why? Time to bust out the articles showing how much Google and Microsoft and Amazon and the NSA and wall street firms use? Does anyone care about those either?

do you think hammering people with illogical and poorly thought arguments is going to make bitcoin any more viable as a currency?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Ham Sandwiches posted:

You posted a big writeup about how much power bitcoins use. And I asked you: "Do you care about how much power other applications use, or is it just for bitcoin?" And you seem to be trying mighty hard to avoid answering the question.

Is it because you are having trouble understanding what I'm asking, or you just don't feel like answering?

youre asking a question unrelated to the point of the article and my post

the cost of using bitcoin goes up as more people use bitcoin. it is completely insane and not based in any economic reality.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Ah so it's just "vague FUD that sounds good when doing a really detailed analysis of one thing but not comparing it to existing applications that use far more power and are scaling just fine because it turns out its not as much of a problem as I'm presenting"

no one gives a poo poo about electricity usage as some kind of odd moral concern, this is about cost per transaction which grows as bitcoins scales up

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Visa and Mastercard charge 2-4% of every single transaction in fees, which is pretty amazing that it gets glossed over in these discussions.

So you see, cryptocoins are terrible, don't trade them or try to use them and they will never displace fiat money because 8 transactions per second, ponzi scheme, and now more power than Nigeria.

So any bitcoin transaction under $833 is more expensive than using Visa at 3% fee. Assuming bitcoin is ever used to purchase goods and services.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

All of these very real and devastating issues that prevent bitcoin from operating competitively as an actual currency are completely irrelevant, nothing to see here.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Free Electricity with One Weird Trick
Fiat central bankers hate it!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Spudalicious posted:

GPUs are cheap again, ROI ~6 months at current price/difficulty. When I mined for 1.5 months earlier this year my ROI was 4 months. Then I sold everything but the motherboard/cpu/ram on ebay for 1.5x my cost after fees & shipping, but these prices have me eyeballing getting back into the mining game :homebrew:

You're including electricity too right?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Drone_Fragger posted:

The best thing is people going "ah, but the bitcoin market cap is more than General Electrics!!" As if this means anything at all.

General electric has 360 billion of assets and generates revenue using them, not 160 billion of nerd get-rich-quick-schemes manipulated by trading bots and russian scammers.

Lol if anyone thinks nerd dollars has a chance against the literal military industrial complex.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

WarEternal posted:

how liquid is this poo poo, anyway? Say someone put $1000 in 4 days ago and then wanted to withdraw their $1100 today?

Just so nobody's worried, no I'm not going to buy bitcoins.

the value would collapse immediately if someone were able to take their cash out

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

COMRADES posted:

If you're depending on greedy assholes not doing a greedy rear end in a top hat thing because of long term effects then lol

People are already bruteforcing wallets.

it will be interesting when bruteforcing wallets becomes cheaper than mining coins

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

as long as you admit that its a risky investment vehicle designed to pump rubes for cash, and acknowledge those are your goals for using it, and its not in any way the future of or remotely useful as a currency, I am completely fine with you doing your thing

edit:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

http://www.forexlive.com/news/!/bitcoin-exchange-websites-crash-as-prices-fall-20-from-the-highs-00-20171129

quote:

Bitcoin is down more than 20% from today's intraday high in a plunge below $9000 from as high as $11,434.

Coinbase, which is by far the most popular place to buy Bitcoin, has gone offline in the plunge.

Others have also suffered problems today.

The unprecedented interest in cryptocurrencies and untested nature of many of these systems is highly worrisome.

Aside from Coinbase, Kraken and Gemini are also down. GDAX was down earlier as well.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 29, 2017

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Dmitri-9 posted:

Just remember almost every Simpson writer is a Harvard graduate.

I like to think of it as a reference to this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znz44MPJcFs

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Pugzilla posted:

On the surface, the current Bitcoin bonanza reminds me of the Beanie Baby craze back in the 90s. Everyone and their dog was into it until the day when no one cared anymore.

On the other hand, had I put $100 down for Bitcoin on Monday, by today, Wednesday, I'd been up $20. By Friday, who knows. Seems too good to be true.

The bubble has to burst eventually... right?

poo poo, I know a guy who is a huge bitcoin evangelist, and back in like 8th/9th grade he had tons of Beanie Babies before moving on to the Star Wars Episode 1 toys.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Paypal handled 1.9 billion transactions in Q3 2017.

At 8 transactions per second, this would take Bitcoin 7.5 years to process into the blockchain.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

LinYutang posted:

who wouldn't love to see concrete actions from Confident Wise People who have been prophesizing bitcoin's imminent failure for years

what is bitcoin's success?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

Any good resources out there for really undestanding blockchain? It seems like something my firm is trying to push/sell/create buzz around it, but either I'm too dumb to understand it or it makes no sense given the proposed applications.

its an inefficient distributed decentralized database that relies on the free market to determine data validity

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The good news is that if the bitcoin does crash, the slow transaction speed will not allow anyone to get out in time to save themselves.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

scott zoloft posted:

while everyone is distracted by bitcoin I'm going to buy land

*buys a 3'x10000' strip of land in west texas with no road or water access*

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

lol coinbase shutting down trading is not at all like a central bank controlling currency, nope, the free market it totally available to make number go up

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

i intend to disrupt the market with an inflationary blockchain coin, please invest in my ico for zimbabwecoin

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Johnny Aztec posted:

Could....Could I start a fake internet coin and have people give me money?

Yes.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

paternity suitor posted:

I went to a bachelor party for a friend of mine, and his three cousins went as well. They were throwing around like $10k at blackjack and buying us all very expensive steak dinners and poo poo, and I was like, hey man, what the gently caress do your cousins do? Are they drug dealers or something? Nah, they own and operate multiple Popeyes Chickens, they're millionaires. Some of the stupidest people I've ever met in my whole life too. Hvafhdadf fuckin kill me.

You're not opening a single fast food restaurant for less than $1 million.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Are there even weed stocks? Banks won't deal with weed because it's still federally illegal.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Weed stocks jumped due to California, now the keebler elf AG said hes going to gently caress with states that legalized it, and stocks are down.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

zaurg posted:

JFC!!! Goons I need help. What can I say to my dad who is about to withdraw money out of his retirement account to put into crypto? He put 20k of savings into it LESS THAN A WEEK AGO and has seen it go up and today calls me convincing himself that it's silly to keep money in 401k/retirement "making only 10%". I want him to just be happy loving around with 20k into it. What reasons can I give him to settle the gently caress down

If you're just finding out about crypto now, it's because it's too late, and the current investors need more rubes to send their own values up and provide liquidity so they can exit.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

the matrix was created to mine bitcoins

edit - gently caress yo edit

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

anyone posted this yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dErRj6V8_xQ

zaurg posted:

but do you really believe that?

tulips and beanie babies ostensibly have some kind of scrap value

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

zaurg posted:

Gotcha. The separate conversation is really what I was thinking about. Couldn't one of these supposed "lightning fast, low transaction fees" cryptos become bigger than bitcoin one day and perhaps actually be used for something other than speculation? I guess it's a long shot. Just seems like there has to be something to come out of this.

the only use case over actual money is that they are exploiting loopholes to avoid taxes and fees that pertain to actual money

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is Coinye still around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003