Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fallows posted:

i still dont understand how bitcoins is worth real money its so stupid god drat

It has value because you can use them to buy drugs and receive extortion payments over the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't think bitcoins are going to go away, but they will even out at some point.

It'd be interesting to know the ratio between people who use them as money, and people who are just speculating/investing.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

It's hard to believe Ron Paul fun dollars became a viable currency but here we are.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
ITS GOING BACK UP NOW!! BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY!!!!!111

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've read a lot about Bitcoin but I still have no idea what it is.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Are we sure that NFTs aren't just some elaborate Nathan Fielder project?

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Three Olives posted:

https://twitter.com/dt_chain/status/1477843627175038976

I'm just trying to imagine how insane the prices can get before the Web3 people are like, this is literally unbelievable as not a scam.

Is that $5.8M in real money or in fake internet goofball money?

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Maybe NFTs were created so crypto coiners could have something to spend their coins on that wasn't drugs or extortion payments to ransomware hackers.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Third party transaction fees without any of the benefits of using a bank, great system they've worked out here.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't understand why you would program a big black hole that you can accidentally throw money into and never get back.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Buy low, sell lower

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Time_pants posted:

Uhh... what??

lol
https://help.crypto.com/en/articles/1360622-does-crypto-com-hold-private-keys-to-the-cryptocurrency-wallets

"In this stage of our app development, we hold the private keys, just like Coinbase and the majority of the exchanges.

Even though you might not hold your private keys, your data and assets are extremely safe with us as we have the best cold storage in the industry and the highest insurance coverage.

It is much easier for you to recover your account than if you had private keys."

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
The problem with regular money is that you have to keep it in a bank. With crypto you get to be your own bank, but being your own bank is kind of hard though so it's best to keep your crypto in an exchange. One of the many advantages of a crypto exchange is gently caress you your money is mine now and I'm moving to the Cayman Islands.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mimesweeper posted:

this is good for bitcoin really. once wall street gets spooked and runs away we can get back to the fundamentals.

I have an idea, lets package a bunch of sub-prime mortgages into "AAA" rated securities.

That and horseracing.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-6IzkDyl9Q

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Tough break Seth, everyone was real excited about your new show.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure you need to pay for "Twitter Blue", their premium services, to use that nft feature as well

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Collateral posted:

Most of the people in control of capital in the UK have classics degrees (and these days ppe is modern classics), but they went to the right school. Their staff are, at least, usually financially competent and many a financial catastrophe has been avoided by dangling a brightly coloured bit of string before their masters eyes.

A good staff will run the estate while keeping the masters distracted with frivolous bets. Like a race around the world in 80 days, or a contest to see if a commoner can be passed off as royalty.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

Plz tell me about Eastern world economics

Psst, hey buddy, wanna buy some Hell Money? Can't get nowhere in the afterlife without it.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

LifeSunDeath posted:

You know the difference between money and crypto. No one has to advertise money.

Another cool thing about money is that you can easily exchange it for goods and services

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Sorry, I have to drop off the call, boss just scheduled an emergency meeting. He wants to discuss who can and cannot use the "N" word.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

That's a hell of a y-axis

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Rin-ne Coin came out after Inuyasha Coin, but it wasn't anywhere near as popular.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shinjobi posted:

I'm probably confusing them with AMC--was the gamestop boom at all effective on keeping the company alive? It was either them or AMC that was able to pay off some debts and keep the lights on for a while after its stock exploded.

Hello no man, it's a company that sells used video games at the mall. They sold their own shares and cashed out with bigass executive bonuses https://www.marketwatch.com/story/gamestop-ceo-matt-furlong-got-paid-16-8-million-in-2021-for-a-half-year-of-work-11649783285

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
The best place to talk about crimes is in the GameFAQ message boards of long forgotten Master System titles.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Alan Smithee posted:

they tried to sell secrets to brazil and brazil ratted them out which is like lmao

if you're gonna betray america you go to Russia or China

Ah yes, Brazil, the United States' most hated enemy.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

zedprime posted:

Was Bitcoin meant to do anything? The whitepapers trying to find a point to it and the hunt for Satoshi all seemed kind of post hoc. It otherwise feels like a nerd toy out of the 'check out my Linux war station' boom of the 2000s.

I believe they were trying to replace banks and all types of 3rd party transaction companies (Visa, Mastercard, Western Union, etc...).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
STONKZ $TSLA 💸