Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Protocol7 posted:

https://twitter.com/steveaoki/status/1481082018238648323

Imagine paying money to see Steve Aoki at a show and he stops it to show you a stupid loving NFT picture.

Though you could probably just leave it at "Imagine paying money to see Steve Aoki at a show."

Lmao, the project has to reassure everyone that their new drops are “non-dilutive”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

I used to drink the Ron Paul kool-aid pretty heavily, but it seems to me that if you really believe in free markets as the best way to organize society, you absolutely DO NOT want ideas like wash trading leaking into the general consciousness, let alone having blatant demonstrations on public display. A lot of people burned by this are going to be very suspicious of anything similar that pops up in the future. The lolbertarians have set themselves back decades with these dumpster fires.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Here's one of the funniest damned things I've ever seen on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/narendra/status/1490067658414321665

A person (probably guy) with a hexagonal cartoon monkey avatar and a plug for their .eth domain accusing others of "end stage affluenza"

That's it, folks, shut it down and go home. Show's over. No encores.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Looks like a "Forbes contributor" tagline is about to get even less prestigious:

https://blockworks.co/crypto-exchange-binance-receives-200m-stake-in-forbes/

quote:

Binance, one of the largest cryptocurrency exchanges in the world, has committed a $200 million strategic investment into global media company Forbes.

“First and foremost, this is a financial investment in the media industry,” a Binance spokesperson told Blockworks. “Web2 had a profound impact on the media sector and, at Binance, we believe that Web3 may have an equally important role to play in the future of journalism and publishing.”

As a part of the investment, Patrick Hillmann, chief communications officer at Binance, and Bill Chin, head of Binance Labs’ venture capital arm, are expected to join Forbes’ board of directors this quarter after the transaction is closed.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

The decentralization ideology is secondary at best for most of the participants. It's just something to which they pay lip service for in-group signaling. Even the cringey rapper woman made sure to include lyrics about how "our cause is just!"

I doubt the NFT grift pivots away from OpenSea to a magically more "decentralized" platform before it runs out of steam. It's just functional enough to part people from their money and enable the founders and investors to take a cut. That's what matters. (And, of course, having a way to get back to money that you can actually spend, but the first person to stand up from the table may be the one who starts the rush out the door...)

If you're still hearing about crypto-coin crap in 10 years, my wild-rear end guess is it will be some kind of esoteric alternative system for allocating cloud computing resources. That seems like what most of the big-name VCs pushing crypto are angling for, and it makes sense. Making your computer make internet money for you drove a lot of the early enthusiam. Cloud services have also been a huge chunk of the bottom line for SaaS startups this whole time. If you could plug your servers in and mine tokens to get them to at least pay for themselves, even if you're sharing your resources with others, that's a dragon they're going to chase no matter what. Now, would such a mythical system ever be as reliable and responsive as a basic Amazon web services instance, or the cheapest Cloudflare package? I don't know, how well has this stuff been scaling so far...?

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Speaking of Salesforce… I used to work at one of the main farmers’ markets in San Francisco, and one of my regular customers was a very outspoken woman in her 70s. One day she walked up to get her weekly supply of kale and arugula, and started telling me, “you know, I’ve lived in San Francisco all my life, and I absolute cannot stand what they’ve done to the skyline!”

I hem and haw in response, “yeah, you know, that new Salesforce tower kind of looks like…” not sure if I’m going to alienate one of my regulars by accurately describing said tower. And she just comes right out and says it: “YES. THAT IS A GIGANTIC UNCIRCUMCISED PENIS!”

tl;dr however Salesforce makes money, they’re just going to spend it on giant dildos

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

absurd research paper posted:

In a nutshell, a client lets two clouds compute the same task, and uses smart contracts to stimulate tension, betrayal and distrust between the clouds,

Heyyy, if we can use these here "smart contracts" to stimulate the kinda tension that leads to betrayal and mistrust... what other kinda tension can we stimulate? :heysexy:

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Viscous Soda posted:

That guy just looks... wrong somehow. Like uncanny valley levels of wrong.

The Joker, before he got those scars

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Vashro posted:

what does the very slender man think are the problems with what he created?

The article gives the impression that he is only just now catching on to the fact that his technology is mostly used by scam artists

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

It is an interesting PR strategy, especially in a publication like Time that still has mainstream cachet. After all, the reporter makes sure to disclose that they personally have less than $1,200 in Ethereum holdings, but what about the editors? Or the publishers? (Looks like Marc Benioff owns the magazine now?) Looking at some of the other headlines, it definitely seems like Time editorial is intentionally positioning themselves as crypto-friendly.

Pitching Buterin as a self-effacing, naive idealist is certainly a direct 180 from the "visionary," self-aggrandizing Steve Jobs-wannabe tech bros that got all the coverage in the 2010s. If Elizabeth Holmes, Travis Kalanick, and the WeWork weirdos are getting major Hollywood tell-all productions made about them, then you won't be able to buy legitimacy with that sort of personality this decade, except among people who already think like you. And maybe, just maybe, that's a problem for the crypto sector...

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Right now, life is overvalued and #bitcoin is undervalued. Selling everything you own for BTC and then jumping off a bridge will make you look like a genius in the long run.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

divabot posted:

I wrote up CityCoins. tl;dr lol of course it's grift all the way down. Main guy is Muneeb Ali of Stacks, formerly Blockstack, who is a Thiel acolyte in case you're wondering what sort of dude he is.

The Blockstack case was an interesting bait and switch - I kept track of it because they started out trying to do a “decentralized” single sign-on before the ENS stuff got popular, and as you noted, they also initially registered their token as a security with the SEC… but very shortly dropped that, because it’s just too drat decentralized, no one organization can manage it now, whoopsie! And also leaned heavily into the smart contract angle, because that’s where the finance bro interest is at. Except these smart contracts are ultimately settled on the Bitcoin blockchain, and that’s better because ????? (As near as I can tell, it’s better because a bunch of the early investors mainly hold Bitcoin over ethereum)

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Khorne posted:

Went to the drug store today and there were magazines with the heading "An in-depth guide to cryptocurrency".

What a world! For some reason there was a lite coin on the visible part of the cover.

I wonder if they came from American Media - the tabloid operation headed by a Trumper that put out a glossy one-off magazine a few years ago praising Mohammed bin Salman to the high heavens. I only ever saw that one at the local CVS drug store.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

It’s pretty funny, because there used to be quite a serious contingent of libertarian/anarcho-capitalist types who were strictly anti-IP, since it was a form of property that could only be created through state coercion.

Conversely, though, it doesn’t surprise me that executive-level Hollywood types are quick to get on board with it. I’ve often wondered how they would continue to lobby the government to keep anti-tech/strong IP laws like the DMCA going. I imagined that they might try to get the entertainment industry declared as some kind of strategic global influence asset, especially with a friendly Democratic administration in power. But joining up with a coalition of grifters trying to make a quick buck, and promising them that one day they can be on top of the ladder too, seems just as likely to succeed.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

I think it’s the creepy guy from that movie Nightcrawler

He was in one of the spider mans too

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Hammerite posted:

This picture is so cursed that when I looked at it, a shelf support collapsed in my kitchen and all my bowls and little plates fell down.

that’s what you get for buying fiat shelves!!!

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

I strongly disagree. If my 2007 self had known this was coming, I would have left the country and become a hermit, someplace with no internet access.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Nuclear missile test

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

repiv posted:

i wonder what the third wave of NFT nonsense will be

first it was individual pieces of art, or other singular things like tweets, and basically all interest in that stuff has already collapsed

the second wave is all this procedurally generated animal avatar bullshit

what's next

This landed in one of my spam boxes last week:

https://www.notboring.co/p/tokengated-commerce

quote:

We should ask: how does a community endorse another up-and-coming community on the internet? With collaborative tokengating: when two brands get together, and flip exclusivity into reciprocal inclusivity.

What are tokengated collabs? When The Hundreds does a collab with Deadfellaz, and you can unlock limited edition merch with an NFT from either of their collections, that’s a tokengated collab. When Superplastic does a collab with Gucci that’s gated to holders of a secret SUPERGUCCI NFT, that’s a tokengated collab.

Here’s where the magic starts to happen: I belong to my community, you belong to your community, but when we do a collab together, I can invite you in; and you can invite me in. Tokengated collabs flip exclusivity into reciprocal inclusivity. A century-old brand like Gucci gets to endorse a really hot brand like Superplastic, in a way where their fans are both inviting each other into this shared experience, and this shared community they now have together.

Interestingly, this idea also seems like it would only matter to people with excess money to burn on ephemeral junk. We'd best get on board at last, I anticipate ravenous demand for the SA x Christmas Island brand collab,

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Hammerite posted:

so hang on, how much does an ape juice cost? i think i got a uh a slurp coin somewhere around here, can I mint w/that??

You don't buy the ape juice, you harvest it. I hope you brought some soft gloves and plenty of lube

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Look at this little fella, with his weird tail/arm/hand thing goin’ on! He musta had a whole 12-pack of slurp juice!

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Avynte posted:

Reading through that thing, the whole "Now you can get exclusive worthless junk personally curated for you to buy" left me feeling physical revulsion.

The implicit assumption that one's identity is primarily established through one's consumer choices is totally :barf:, but also unsurprising coming from committed coiners. How you spend your money is what defines you!

It makes a perverse amount of sense that they would target brand collaborations with this, though. It seems like a particularly high-profit area of fashion right now. I met a guy who spent a lot of time flipping streetwear, and that whole scene is flooded with FOMO too.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

This gives me no idea what the Juno project is supposed to do, only that it has failed repeatedly. It’s almost like a reverse Streisand effect.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

The Rabbi T. White posted:

POST THE GRAPHS GHOSTTITTY

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Squiggle posted:

Yeah, I was just reading this Hamilton Nolan piece from a few months ago that points out that these people all at once losing their grasp on what they consider an escape from the American Reality is going to go very poorly.

This is a very good article, thanks for surfacing it again. “Investing” is how you’re supposed to get ahead in America, and that’s only accelerated in our lifetimes, as America’s strategy has been to provide the unchallenged resource allocation model for the world. Actual material production is secondary. The house you live in, if your name is on the title, isn’t just a roof over your head, it’s also an “investment.”But even if you come back to reality, what “investments” are on offer? More and more of the high growth tech companies are coming to market with dual- or multi-class shares where you don’t even have the fig leaf of voting rights or meaningful participation. I believe the number I saw was in the neighborhood of 30% of IPOs on the NASDAQ last year. It’s just another case of “number go up.”

The best way for most people to invest, which somewhat insulates them from the gambling inherent to the crypto crap, but also from influencing corporate decision making, is through broad stock market ETFs. You’re starting to see Musk and his buddies rant about this, but they’re authoritarians in their own right, and many of them have bankrolled the companies issuing multi-class shares while using stuff like crypto and trading apps to talk economic inclusion out of the other side of their mouth. The abstractions underpinning our economy are buckling, and Yet Another Crypto Crash is just one milestone in a scenario that’s going to take years to play out, but I struggle to see how we can avoid a broader backlash.

If we’re lucky, what will come of this is Vice, BuzzFeed, or whatever equivalent outfit exists in 20 years running a series of hilarious articles with headlines like “These True Believers Are Still Mining Bitcoin, We Asked Them Why.” But it feels like that outcome needs a lot of luck indeed.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Beartaco posted:

What's the importance of Tether? I've seen people saying that if Tether goes, so does all of crypto or something of the sort and I can't find why that might be.

Piggybacking on the previous explanations, a lot of these exchanges outside the US (including Binance, which is among the largest if not the largest) do not quote you prices in US dollars of whatever coins they list. Instead they quote prices and store your cash in one of these intermediate “stablecoins” that claim to be backed 1:1 by US dollars, represented on a blockchain for your trading convenience! Tether/USDT is one of the oldest and the most notorious, as it’s not clear exactly where these billions of dollars they’re supposed to have are actually on deposit, and at least two auditing firms that I’ve heard about quit without finishing an audit. Maybe these
dollars we swear are backing up your USDTs are in a bank in Poland, no wait Hong Kong, no wait stop asking questions

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

It’s fascinating to me that they don’t seem to understand how Twitter has been absolutely central to keeping the coin and meme stock grifts going. Of course you’d rather own Twitter, that means you can influence the next round of scams!

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Squiggle posted:

Strictly speaking, his $1000 is literally worth $1000.

but wait, I thought we were supposed to be pricing things in bitcoin by now

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Sophy Wackles posted:

It’s crazy reading twitter going down the crypto rabbit hole. Thousands of coins and scams being shilled all promising some vague innovation or real world use case. Untold billions in VC and R&D amounting to nothing but a get rich quick scheme.

One of the most hilarious things to me is that it’s all so firmly rooted in libertarianism, but everyone involved seems to have forgotten the central plank of libertarian doctrine that loose monetary policy leads to mass malinvestment and, eventually, a gigantic crash.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

I'm searchin' on all these exchanges and I still can't find it :psyduck:

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Incidentally, I think Gamestops being everywhere was an issue for a while (even here!) because like a lot of big chains they'd bought out their competition and had a lot of redundant stores they were slow to close.

After they bought out Electronics Boutique, there was a solid 2 or 3 year run here where they kept the old EB in the (dying) mall open, as well as the newer GameStop in a strip mall literally less than 1/4 mile away.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

there was a window in like 2005 where Florence SC had three in the same mall and one in the outbuilding in the parking lot

The trend these days in dying malls seems to be leasing to multiple independently-owned screenprinting places that do not give a poo poo about copyright. I'm sure we all remember the Naruto episode where he was dressed in bootleg Supreme and chugging Hennessy; I know I want that on a t-shirt; thankfully these people can provide.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1528413510392090625

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

thehandtruck posted:

as i said. that's basically the gist of it all. no problem solved. new problems created. advertising accomplished, but without resolution.

This may be the whole story of the 2020s, right here

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

BAPES Clan GEN 2 appears to have upgraded to match the technology from the 1985 “Money for Nothing” music video, splendid

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

I wonder if Twitter will see declining user engagement alongside crypto cratering. It seems like it's the top of the funnel for all these grifts, and they need the nuance-free false certainty of the tweet format to keep suckers from asking too many questions.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Rotten Red Rod posted:

a 20-50% commission

:pwn:

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Has economics been a required high school course in the US in recent memory? I was in an International Baccalaureate high school so didn't get the standard American education, but I strongly suspect that economics was one of the many things cut as they strangled education budgets and more recently got into a STEMlordy fapfest.

I don't remember economics even being part of the IB program I was in, 20 years ago. If we wanted it, I think we had to take it from the AP curriculum. For kids on the regular track, I do believe it was rolled into a general civics and government course.

Similar situation with statistics. The kids who took statistics generally weren't on the honors/direct-to-university track, and the kids who were took calculus. Bare-minimum coverage of statistics was shoehorned into the science classes. A good knowledge of statistics would probably help a lot of the people getting suckered right now much more than derivatives and integrals.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

don't sleep fam, those TROPTIONS PROFITS are bringing us Heroes of the Ring Championship Wrestling

https://twitter.com/troptions2017/status/1528580464746844160

HODL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

depleted uranium hands