Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Text.fish is a web site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

putin is a oval office posted:

What even is this account? You quote it a lot in multiple threads but it just seems to be some random unverified account posting unsourced claims in full caps.
From what I understand it’s an account that just reposts news headlines that come across a Bloomberg terminal.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Christ, who uses a credit card with consumer fees?? Are these crypto guys dusting off old pyramid scheme literature from the 80s and just copy/pasting it into whitepapers?
Not direct fees, but there are plenty of places in the US where the merchant will charge more if you use a credit card. Gas stations in particular in my experience.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

tpink posted:

I seriously can't believe any serious pension fund with real investors did this, mind-blowing.
It’s less than 0.1% of their total assets.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
A citizen of the EU?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Serious_Cyclone posted:

It's borrowed entirely from stock market analysis, where a 200-week moving average has been used to spot trends.
Are you sure about that? I’m not Stocky McInvestor but I’ve only ever heard of 200-day moving averages.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
No. Senate was supposed to vote on it today.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

drk posted:

Here's an academic article that puts it at 11-12% of the US economy: https://www.dickinson.edu/news/article/3136/understanding_the_shadow_economy
That article implies 11% in dollar value amounts, not percentage of transactions.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Stop. I can’t take so much manliness.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

King Carnivore posted:

That’s not even like a crazy amount of sick or vacation time. “My government job gave me a modicum of time allotted to my life outside of work. What a dissatisfying grift!”
And the 26 days of vacation is only after you’ve put in 15 years of service.
0-3 years: 13 days
3-15 years: 20 days.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Ally raised to 2.1% a few days ago.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yes.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Would PayPal count? You can buy and sell Bitcoin there.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
What are the legal repercussions, if any, for committing an act you think is destroying evidence even if it doesn’t? Cause it sure seams like that’s what Curly's doing,

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Orvin posted:

Is there that exact plot line in West Wing that predates that by like a decade? The crusty old judge knows better than when to step aside because he is better than politics, and anyone that the president could hope to appoint. Or something like that.
No. In the show a (conservative) justice died, and then the (liberal) Chief Justice agreed to retire if the White House could make a deal with Republicans to put a new liberal judge in as Chief Justice in exchange for letting conservatives choose the other replacement.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Zopotantor posted:

How long until climate change puts all that beachfront property under water?
Longer than you’ll be alive.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Barudak posted:

I do not understand how they spent 33 billion on Disney+ last year.
It’s easy. They didn’t. The entire direct-to-consumer segment had costs of about $23 billion. That includes Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Cyrano4747 posted:

His raging at the 30% cut apple takes means that he's probably also looking for ways to monetize from inside the app (i.e. subscriptions, other poo poo users buy, not advertisers)
No, he’s only mentioning the thing that hundreds of millions of people have known for years to drum up support for being champion of the little guy.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

ArbitraryC posted:

What does the fed do with all their crypto seizures anyways? Are they just sitting on them or do they sell them? Would a 50k or 70k coin haul like in the silk road story affect the market if they cashed them out at once?
In the past they’ve auctioned them off, like other seized assets.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

dr_rat posted:

She CEO of Ark Capital, and that seems to be about it. Ark capital like to invest in Crypto and Tesla, so yeah being a crypto shill is basically her whole thing as far as I can tell.
Sort of. Ark did pretty well last decade and it seems some financial journalists want to make her in to the next Warren Buffet character.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Poopy Palpy posted:

Of all the people who could possibly honor an NFT roadmap instead of rugging, why would Donald Trump be the first?
He doesn’t even have to do that. It says attend a dinner “hosted by Trump”.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Well he did have it all in a spreadsheet.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I think the point was, even extravagant living doesn't seem to account for the number of billions of dollars that have just vanished.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

MarcusSA posted:

Wells Fargo charges you a fee to deposit cash lol.
That’s not true.

Unless maybe you load that sentence up with multiple qualifiers.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

MarcusSA posted:

:shrug: I was just going through his Wells Fargo business account statements and there was a line for cash deposit fee.

Like I said, multiple qualifiers.

It’s a business account.
That deposited more than $5000 per month. In this case it was $26,000.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
“Less than well-capitalized” is a pro-tier euphemism.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I’m still chuckling at “less than well-capitalized”.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Nessus posted:

Was Peter Thiel involved here?
Supposedly his Founders Fund was one of the entities telling people to withdraw their cash on Thursday.

If that’s true, then yes he is.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
My guess is it's …

SVB goes insolvent.
Fed Reserve panics and drops their long-term plan.
Contrary to what they’ve been telegraphing, they’ll actually LOWER interest rates soon because of the panic.
???
We all make bank.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

HappyHippo posted:

Are there no "no fee" banks in the U.S.? Like here in Canada there are a few banks that are no fees, no minimum balance, unlimited transactions. The trade-off is there are no tellers: you have to do everything online, over the phone, or through an ATM.
Yes there are those here, too, but without the unlimited transactions (you’re limited to six fee-free withdrawals per month). E: wait, the transaction limits are for savings accounts, not checking.

There are also many brick and mortar banks where you can avoid fees other than maybe overdraft fees by, for example, fulfilling one of several conditions, such as:

Having a loan from that bank.
Having direct deposits to your account of at least $XXX dollars per month (usually around $500)
Having a total balance from all your accounts be at last $XXXX (usually 1500 to 2500 from what I’ve seen).

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 13, 2023

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

kw0134 posted:

Yes this implies a purchase price of $9.71 a share.
No. I mean it does, but people use words incorrectly all the time so he probably means it hit that price sometime while he owned it, not necessarily purchase price.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Bypassing a ton of stuff, this proposal is allegedly for people to buy water for $2/can plus shipping?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If those FICA taxes are like yours and mine, they had a payroll of over $500 million a month.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Two things:

Why would not selling during a down market be considered unusual?

I wonder if “68% of Bitcoins haven’t moved in the last year” is true every year.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yes. The whole idea boils down to “I will be happy like I am in my fantasies”.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Lammasu posted:

I just read how Justine Beiber's NFT lost 94 % of its value. A 1.2-million-dollar loss.
After he sold it, right? If so, good for him.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I realize the subject we're talking about here, but how exactly do you calculate the value of a unique item that no one has ever bought? Are there standing offers that the owner never accepts?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Collateral Damage posted:

So they're still in debt but their ape is gone.
No usually the lender takes the asset and the loan is wiped clean. Happens with stocks, too.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
What does TA mean there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It appears to be currently trading at 0.28 so dude made some money if he can sell it?

Edit: also holy crap Reddit threads are a terrible medium for following events in real time.