Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

is this worth reading? i just scrolled around and found this

zenz posted:

This language is akin to purported statements by Xinjiang officials that problem populations are like “weeds hidden among the crops” where the state will “need to spray chemicals to kill them all” (Zenz 2018, 21).

why does he feel the need to reference himself here rather than the source, and there is even a qualifier "purport"

anyway, not sure how much time i want to devote to studying this topic as i don't have any power over what china does; am skeptical that any of this will lead to (trade) war, but don't want to contribute bad vibes to the noosphere. seem to be v strong feelings about all this in gbs and dnd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Zmej posted:

here's some broad podcast episodes that will help you get the gist while getting to root of the most outrageous claims: Uyghur Oppression
Carl Zha is still critical of what he describes as heavy handed responses to extremist terrorist attacks, but dispels Zenz/US propaganda. actually I never listened to this ep, but I'm assuming the hosts of Radio War Nerd may make this more engaging than Carl's own podcast version where I started.

for a good laugh and learn more about how insane that the supposedly best "expert" the US could send is an evangelical german pervert named Adrian Zenz, I recommend this Radio War Nerd ep (fast forward to 48 minutes: Cold War-2 Bloopers: Amnesty, Navalny & Zenz. they dissect his career and for dessert they read Zenz's book about the Rapture

edit: the annoying thing about this whole topic is that Zenz, the media, and the US dept can churn out more crap faster than people can dispel and disprove it

Thanks. I appreciated the dive into the history of the region.

If anyone else has recommendations, do share.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

crepeface posted:

thanks for this, finally got around to listening to all 3hrs of RWN 149. just lmao at the thought of holding carl zha to a single hour. he sounds pretty pessimistic about full uyghur integration, seems like the two school systems with separate languages really hosed with uyghur's upward mobility when china's market opened up.

Unfortunately on Carl Zha's own podcast (not the episode linked) talking with a guy (Otto Kolbl?), some of their disagreements make it seem like Zha either isn't informed in certain areas or communicates poorly. Zha and the guest may have had different experiences at different time periods which may be part of the reason for some of the disagreements. RWN was able to keep the flow and focus, but it makes me more cautious of how to interpret some of his statements correctly to his intentions, along with the veracity.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

genericnick posted:

Which episode was that? I found his own podcasts always pretty difficult to listen to. "We'll cut that out in editing" is his well loved catch phrase.

crepeface posted:

interesting! what were the disagreements?

Episode 56
https://www.patreon.com/posts/ep-56-one-year-21783117

I skipped to somewhere after the hour mark to try to find the Tiananmen Square bits. I think it started closer to 1:15:00. Around there, it was fairly frequent that Carl made some generalization that Kolbl immediately disagreed with and then Carl tried to revise what he meant. It seemed like Carl was then trying to say he actually meant what Kolbl meant, and then Carl rephrased himself. To which Kolbl immediately disagreed with the rephrasing. Most of it was about more broad statements, Carl said something like "the Chinese government is good at crafting propaganda for domestic consumption, but their international are terrible". I can't recall too specifically about the other instances, but it was less listenable than RWN and even though these had nothing to do with the various interviews and research that form the basis of Carl's takes on Xinjiang and the Uyghurs, his floundering in the Kolbl interview gives me cause to have second thoughts.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Zedhe Khoja posted:

bellingcats xinjiang coverage consisted of falsly claiming a massive historical mosque in a large city anyone can visit was torn down using faulty loving satellite photos of them redoing the 30 year old gatehouse because brown moses is pigshit ignorant about history, architecture, islam, china, and basically everything else.

he posted his sources and work, ergo cannot be wrong; read the op

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
So I clicked around that 4~6 hour vaush video, it had time stamps for various parts, and it showed him going to a webpage and looking at a graph. He took the graph creator at their word and didn't look at any of the source data, then speculated at potential abuses without evidence. Didn't seem rigorous at all.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Just in Time inventory has proven to be a disaster for people (businesses will use whatever excuse available to jack up prices, even self-induced shortages; gently caress them). US port infrastructure seems to be a joke right now. Improvements and adjustments of practices/expectations need to be made.

Regardless, there will still be sectors that benefit from predictable transit times and cargo loading/unloading schedules.

E: this Directly Down Wind Faster Than The Wind car might be applicable to ships, too. Less reliance on traditional sail tacking, as the rotating blades are essentially tacking in place.
https://youtu.be/yCsgoLc_fzI

Corky Romanovsky has issued a correction as of 09:37 on Jul 1, 2021

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

I hear China (and other places) gently caress with GPS coordinates for opsec, but I'm not seeing anything like that at the coordinates listed and more likely attribute the mis-match to the article being fabricated BS, or a different map. Google's has a 2021 copyright, though I'm not sure precisely when.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
OK but cynically motivated or not you can hardly deny that the Chinese govt has put a lot of resources into poverty alleviation etc and other big infrastructure projects, so a big clean water initiative would be very on brand even if it was primarily done as a PR move

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Palladium posted:

I watched a vlog of Chinese tourist lamenting about opening a bank account in developed Italy would take 7 days, when the same thing would be done within 5 mins on the spot in backwards China

Have you considered that banking is a form of corruption, and that the ease of banking in China means it is more corrupt than Italy?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
It has been 72 hours and that coward hasn't shown their face again. Tucked their tail and ran. Heh. Pretty lenient that they got a 2-week probe after that zero effort 7,000 word post.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

indigi posted:

wtf did this dumb rear end say about the Holocaust

It wasn't even recent but from like 1997.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

stephenthinkpad posted:

Did anybody watch Covlympic 2020 Openning? I completely missed it.

If nobody watch the live stream, does it make a sound?

It is still running right now.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Throatwarbler posted:

Just a reminder that the US state of New York actually keeps over 10,000 people, mostly minorities, locked up in a massive detention center up the river from the Statue of Liberty, for the most part without trial for months on end until they sign plea deals (.i.e. confess to some crime the police suggest they do) just to get out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rikers_Island

Stop changing the subject to things that are more realistically in my power to change.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

stephenthinkpad posted:

Did anybody watch Covlympic 2020 Openning? I completely missed it.

If nobody watch the live stream, does it make a sound?

It is still going.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ardennes posted:

Is South Africa under A or S?

M

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

The tweet said "heavy-labor jobs", not % of overall labor force.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
US intelligence might have been interested in Wuhan to keep tabs on a known virology institute and/or in relation to a gathering of troops. The other theory with similar levels of evidence is that the Military World Games was a spreader event, perhaps even intentional by US actors. I forget if it was corroborated in Italian sewage samples that COVID-19 was present in September, and there are US military bases in Italy (but US bases are in too many countries to count).

quote:

During the COVID-19 pandemic, conspiracy theories emerged in China that the virus originated in the United States and was brought to China by an American participant in the Military World Games. One version of the conspiracy theory states that the virus was created by the CIA. A Chinese government official supported and help spread one of the conspiracy theories. Athletes Élodie Clouvel and Matteo Tagliariol were often quoted as claiming they developed a severe illness around the time they attended the games. A U.S. Army athlete who attended the games was accused of being "patient zero" of the novel coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan, and was harassed on social media, despite never having symptoms or testing positive. A coronavirus public health exercise in the United States called Event 201 was held at the same time as the games, and this is sometimes cited by conspiracy theorists as further evidence of misconduct.

quote:

Event 201 simulated the effects of a fictional coronavirus originating in bats but passing to humans via pigs. Claims that Event 201 was a rehearsal for the world's response to COVID-19 have been declared invalid by fact-checking outlets such as USA Today and FullFact.

The fact checkers have spoken.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

american territorial waters is simply the ocean and anything that feeds into it

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

gradenko_2000 posted:

well gee Senator if you already know China was involved in a cover-up seems to me like you also already knew where it came from

the senator must be involved in the cover-up, is pointing fingers to avoid being held accountable

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

can't work an iron

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

LimburgLimbo posted:

Jesus christ Yeonmi Park has had so much surgery

also lol this is her ex husband, managing director of a stock trading company, natch

Edit: maybe not ex but whatev

please stick to substantive criticisms and not personal/misogynistic commentary

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Serf posted:

yeah this got me too. china is at least as much a democracy as western nations, why would they move to ban depiction of the system they use?

Could it be a translation issue? Americans get hung up on liberal/liberalism and Republican/republican, so perhaps it is misinterpreted in some way.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

LimburgLimbo posted:

1) how did you find this video when it only has 11 view

drat, still at 11 views

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

some guy posted:

My friend, I'm saying Covid-19, as created in the Wuhan lab, is currently circulating in the animal population. It wasn't only introduced into the human population, it was also introduced into the entire mammalian population on earth. They killed off millions of infected mink last fall for that very reason.

If shrews, deer, mice, etc are running around right now with covid, what's stopping it from spreading back into the human population at any time?

Zero-Covid is a pipe dream because a field mouse is going to hop into your house and infect you!

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
The anti-nuclear people probably could have gone beyond "dry-cask storage" as the only way and posited that reprocessing creates unsafe materials that are then used as additives in children's breakfast cereals.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Democrats Abroad sent me an email regarding petitioning senators to make vaccines available to Americans overseas. They started by claiming that the US leads in vaccine donations.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

i say swears online posted:

has anyone asked how gradenko can read eighteen books a week with full highlights and annotation

how can gredenko read eighteen books a week with full highlights and annotation? I can't even focus enough to poo poo post eighteen times a week. as an American, i know the problem doesn't lie with me.

asked and answered, op

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

fart simpson posted:

well it's been illegal for a long time in china for the doctor to tell you the sex of your unborn baby, for exactly that reason

given recent trends, it would be safer for the US to adopt this measure, and go a step further to make it illegal for parents to reveal it as well

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Goons are having a lot of trouble picking up on sarcasm or facetiousness lately.

that's listed as a symptom

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Sorry, we can't hire you. Your credit score is too low and indicates you may easily be bribed.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Also special economic zones vs not?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
There are other activities that can enrich a community/society. Our ideas of "job" and "work" are perverted by capitalism.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Rent-A-Cop posted:

If there are things that need doing then that isn't make-work, it's just work. And the ethical way to make sure those things get done is to offer something attractive in exchange for doing them.

Eliminating the parasitic capatlist class does little to help the worker if what you replace it with is a bureaucrat class that simply enforces the same pointless toil, now for the service of a spreadsheet rather than a millionaire.

If there is a shortage of necessary resources then obviously labor is necessary, and if the shortage is severe then even compulsory labor may be warranted. But if there is no shortage then labor simply for the sake of labor is a pointless and inefficient use if everyone's time and energy.

There appears to be a disconnect here.

Many would call "check the boilers" a bullshit make-work job. This work may not be terribly taxing on the individual, but it helps the residents of the buildings maintain comfort and peace of mind. So is it really make-work?

A landlord/capitalist may be happy to run things to the point of failure to eek out extra margin, which saves a ton on preventative labor.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Grapplejack posted:

Hell for a lot of people I'm sure that you could give them like, an acre or two of woodland to maintain and as long as they have internet and poo poo like that they'll be happy as a clam.

and when they insist on practices that risk catastrophic forest fire because freedom...

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

There is a much nearer observation area where you can look down into a pit of sulfur, as well as hiking trails. That video was shot a bit further away where they do/did some pony rides. I hope the ponies are OK and the nearer area was closed for the day.

There is a pretty good exclusion zone around this one, but the actual caldera is gigantic and populated. Check it out in Flight Simulator if you got it.

E: about here 32.8855292, 131.0532582

Corky Romanovsky has issued a correction as of 05:56 on Oct 20, 2021

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

i say swears online posted:

here is the caldera viewpoint

That is the crater, iirc. The caldera is like 10 miles across.

Big piss energy.
https://mobile.twitter.com/AW_Bull/status/1450662119674810371

Money shot
https://mobile.twitter.com/Master_Bird_/status/1450660265888915458

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
These materials, we allege, were obtained via cyber magic; you may safely ignore the contents and instead rant about China, Iran, North Korea, or Russia.
https://twitter.com/MaxBlumenthal/status/1451405540404383750

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Sorry. Don't got the corporate approved flour this week.

A week later:

Sorry. Flour expired and we don't got the corporate approved glazing sugar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

30.5 Days posted:

Presumably if it was very unpleasant, it would not have successfully reduced terrorism, or at least that's what I'd like to believe.

I'm not a fan of "suffering is necessary for advancement" mindset.

Not really sure what happened or is happening over there. It is clear from simple arithmetic that the more extreme claims were highly unlikely, potentially requiring violation of the laws of physics. I'm not even advocating that "the truth is in the middle". Invested individuals should form some committee with first-hand investigators. Whatever is confirmed or disproven would be of academic value at the least.

In a parallel vein, remember when Konstantin Kilimnik was a lynchpin in that other sensational story and his phone/email was in published documents but no one reached out to interview him? There might be a pattern when the media is incurious.