Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Xi is truly a man of the people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lmao

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/nwadhams/status/1149066052917178373

:allears:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

My chinese friend's dad was talking about how the HK protesters are all paid cia actors. I was just like :hmmyes:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Xelkelvos posted:

Where do you think we are?

If you want "serious" discussion, make a D&D thread.

lmao

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.nepal24hours.com/ruling...QpV88N-KfF7DfnE

:3:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

edit: misread

AnimeIsTrash has issued a correction as of 22:18 on Oct 8, 2019

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

LeBron really is the greatest

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

This thread sucks now that Guyovich isn't here to yell at the morons.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I think y'all are making the mistake of thinking an anime avatar has anything useful to contribute.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The US is a crumbling empire meanwhile Juche is doing as strong as ever baby.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The Japanese communist party did some rad propaganda posters.

https://imgur.com/a/0GB7ajh

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_food_origins#Europe

Assuming that he considers mediterranean people nonwhite, my man is basically on the jordan peterson all meat diet.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lol, this isn't surprising. Kerala has been run by the communist party since it became a state in India and it's consistently voted communist. I think last election cycle congress won a few extra seats in the state.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Throatwarbler posted:

It seems to be a phenomenon amongst many diasporas. I read a thing about Indians who visit diaspora Indian communities in Britain and being surprised that everyone there still wore Shalwa Chamises that looked like they were still from the 1960s or something. You leave the old country and are just frozen in time while the old country moves on.

Wut, a salwar kameez is still a pretty traditional indian outfit. If you visit India you'll see them all the time. From my general experience with the Indian community in the US, the older generations wear them all the time, where people like my mom and her Indian friends will wear them to formal events.

It's made a big resurgence with the newer generations that want to get more in touch with their roots.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1348214599997222915

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Judakel posted:

lmao hosed around and found out

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The king takes no prisoners.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/chenweihua/status/1353637552268447745

Lmao I see the king is still at it.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mila kunis posted:

wrong on two counts. the communists in bengal lost a long time ago, not to the BJP but to a regional party (trinamool congress) which isn't ideologically comitted to the left or the right (outside of being anti communist) but is just a local patronage party. also bengal isn't "remote" its been a major part of india culturally and economically for centuries

and the bjp hasn't brought much in the way of development to them, things are pretty stagnant. they're just flooded with massive amounts of cash, which translates to lots of local muscle on the ground as well as funding for propaganda across social media and news media. the indian public is a lot more right wing than a decade ago, and its not because the bjp has been delivering economically (i'd say the opposite).

Yeah i'm not quite sure where OP is getting his information from. There was a big scandal a while back that caused the communist party to fall from grace in west bengal.

The rural regions of India are very rich in natural resources but unfortunately there is a lot of corruption and for the most part the governments have exploited these regions instead of develop them. Which is why the things like the nalaxite movement gained so much steam when it did.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1356478716143149056

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

they've been really going all out

It's kind of insane what level of BJP propaganda that gets put all out via their data centers. My cousins have been talking about how they have been getting bombarded with whatsapp messages since the protests started.

AnimeIsTrash has issued a correction as of 15:35 on Feb 4, 2021

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Speaking of propaganda, lmao.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Atrocious Joe posted:

The Intercept sat for years on the leaked Snowden document that showed Saudi Arabian officials issuing orders to Syrian rebels. It only came out after the war in Syria had shifted enough that it was mostly irrelevant.

They've also gone all in on the russiagate stuff, and I recently saw that their podcast put out an episode about the uyghur reeducation camps.

They're still okay on domestic things but lol.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/wspieler/status/1362397404134334465

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

stephenthinkpad posted:

That's IndiaPakistan level of dynasty politic.

The Bhuttos got nothing on the Ghandi dynasty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehru%E2%80%93Gandhi_family

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mawarannahr posted:

I just learned about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhong_Gong and Zhang Hongbao.

lmao

so, what's the deal with the qigong movement that somehow got out of the party's control and resulted in, according to wikipedia, a land of grandmothers in cults?

I'm more of a Yang Gang type of person.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yang_Jingyu

quote:

The Northeast Anti-Japanese United Army conducted a protracted campaign which threatened the stability of the Manchukuo regime and the Japanese colonial rule, especially during 1936 and 1937. By the beginning of 1937, it comprised eleven corps in three armies, estimated by the Japanese to be about 20,000 men. Lacking the troops and materiel to conduct full-scale conventional warfare, the army's strategies were primarily to form pockets of resistance in occupied areas to harass the Japanese troops and undermine their attempts at local administration, and to launch small surprise attacks to divert resources from Japan's advance into China Proper or against the Soviet Union after the border clashes of Chengkufeng (1938) and Battle of Khalkhin Gol (1939).[citation needed]

Yang twice commanded western marches that threatened Japanese lines of communication to Tieling and Fushun in Liaoning Province. From the latter half of 1938, Japan concentrated large numbers of its troops in Manchukuo with the mission of encircling Yang's army and placed a 10,000-yuan bounty on his head. By September 1938, the Japanese estimated that the Anti-Japanese Army was reduced to 10,000 men.[citation needed]

By 1940, the war was stalemated although Japan held most of the Manchurian coastal areas and the open country along the railroads, small forces of Chinese guerrillas fought doggedly on from the mountains and woodlands. The Kwantung Army then brought reinforcements into the Northeast with a plan for "maintaining order and mopping up anti-Japanese elements." They cut off the supply lines to the troops of the United Front, the Chinese soldiers persevered, frequently launching attacks that compelled the enemy to divert its main force from punitive expeditions against the Chinese forces

Yang led more than 40 engagements in Jilin Province, despite critically lacking supplies. In response, the Japanese committed a scorched earth strategy by routinely looting rural harvests, confiscating food from villages, and forcefully segregating civilians into "lawful settlements," in the attempt of depriving the resistance any means of supply. Large collaborationist patrols were also frequently deployed to inflict attrition on the guerrillas.[citation needed]

Yang and his men were closely encircled by 40,000 Japanese troops in January to mid-February 1940. Facing a dire situation, he organized his forces to disperse into small units and break out of the encirclement. His detachment of 60 troopers were betrayed to the Japanese by a staff officer on February 18. After the last two soldiers at his side were killed in action, Yang continued fighting alone for another 5 days. He was eventually cornered in a small forest by a large combined Japanese and collaborationist forces in the Mengjiang County (蒙江县), and was killed during fierce fighting by multiple shots from machineguns. It was reported that the Japanese troops, fearing Yang's famed marksmanship from previous encounters, refused to approach his body for a while after his death.[citation needed]

Unable to understand Yang's source of perseverance (Yang had not eaten for over 6 days), the Japanese ordered an autopsy after cutting off and preserving Yang's head. When they cut open Yang's stomach, they found only tree bark, cotton batting and grass roots within — not a single grain of rice. The Japanese commander at the scene, Ryuichiro Kishitani (岸谷隆一郎), was so shocked at the revelation that he "went silent, and appeared aged a lot within the next day." Kishitani committed seppuku after Japan's defeat, but wrote in his will that "His Majesty might be wrong in launching this war. China has steely soldiers like Yang Jingyu, and it would not fall."

The Japanese initially buried Yang's beheaded body carelessly in the wild. It was then rumored that the Japanese commander-in-chief in the area, General Shōtoku Nozoe (野副昌德), was having nightmares and feared that it was Yang's ghost. Panicked, Kishitani ordered his men to rebury the body properly with full cemetery ritual and military respect, honoring Yang — though an enemy — "a true warrior."[citation needed]

Yang's death was a great blow to his remaining troops, who turned their sorrow into anger. Over the next few months, Japanese forces increased their attacks and forced many of Yang's followers out into isolated areas in Manchuria or the Far Eastern territories of the Soviet Union.[citation needed]

After the end of the Second World War, Yang's severed head was recovered by the Communist forces, rejoined to his body, and reburied with full military honor. The Mengjiang County was also renamed to Jingyu County in his memory. Some traitors who betrayed Yang and contributed to his death were tracked down and executed. A national funeral was held in his honor after the establishment of the People's Republic of China, while Yang was extolled as a great and brave national hero

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fart simpson posted:

the gbs thread is truly terrible. i go over and read a few pages every now and then and last time i was there a guy got banned for calling for the mass murder of han chinese people. several other people agreed with him and didn’t get even probed, and a mod came in and said he thinks the banned guy is overall a good poster and would unban him if he said he’s sorry

You get mindmelting takes when talking about China. China was brought up in the POS and people started talking about how Chinese people are very racist and how Chinese imperialism is a threat.

:laugh:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i think that's in kolkata actually. kinda worth noting (and depressing) that the western left largely doesn't pay much attention to that. but i think it shows that electoral politics is not the main thing you should be thinking about all the time, it's kinda orthogonal or secondary to mass organizations that can mobilize huge numbers of people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDaQ8C6bkCw

SE Asia seems to get really neglected when people talk about communism. We never hear about nepal which is run by a communist coalition and about vietnam.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

My cousins were mentioning a couple of weeks ago that the BJP/RSS propaganda was just flooding whatsapp groups/facebook in response to the farmer's protests.

Also yes Vijay Prashad is great.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

thank you chairman xi

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

How come every china watcher is always a weird white dude that is balding?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fart simpson posted:

one of my aunts complains about this constantly lol. her big thing is she can’t imagine a world where pharmaceutical research is done without a profit motive

The global south is getting completely hosed over because all western covid vaccines are patented and the WTO enforces the patents. India/South Africa are constantly at odds with the WTO because of their laws regarding patents on generics.

People wonder why developing nations choose to ally with China/Russia over the west. :allears:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://rhizzone.net/articles/shadow-boxing-red-china-2021/

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

former CIA agent

Can the 2 goons who work for the state department confirm this. Tia

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

THS posted:

that would unironically be a great listen

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

War Nerd should have Carl on again, it's been a while.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

:yeshaha: People are so angry in the comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

shrike82 posted:

lol if you think the US MIC is decaying, watching the PLA/N going to war would be funny with forces that haven’t seen combat in a generation.

Trying to critique the US military from the left by arguing that they wouldn’t be as effective in conventional combat is a losing argument

I’m reminded of teary eyed leftist podcasters talking about Soleimani and how Iran would have some cunning revenge attack of the perfect proportionality

When was the last time the US fought a professional army with roughly the same capabilities?