Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Top City Homo posted:

Japan was an absolutist military dictatorship where children were trained from school to die for the emperor and women worked 15 hour days until they died of over exhaustion.

They are hot big on caring for their population

this is a joke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
chomsky also has a long and disgusting history of genocide denial and the china defenders in this thread (and presumably CSPAM but I don't go there) closely follow that playbook. raise doubts about impartiality, distort statements and motives, outright lie if necessary - but only about your targets (the vague specter of "neoliberalism" or "imperialism" - they're interchangeable depending on what crowd you find yourself in). never apply the same scrutiny to statements of the perpetrators of genocide and above all never engage with the evidence on its own merits. (particularly appalling in the case of bellingcat whose evidence is always, by definition, readily available to anyone with an internet connection and can be verified more or less trivially.) you must always attack the source by any means necessary, even - perhaps especially - if that means fundamentally undermining trust in us NGOs and media institutions.

the fact that this strategy is exactly the same as that used by domestic right-wing extremists and foreign authoritarians does not seem to occur to these people, nor does it appear to bother them that when open, transparent sources are all discredited they must rely on increasingly fringe sources like grayzone, globalresearch, or just straight up sputnik. presumably they believe that they hold a monopoly on truth and therefore do not need to subject themselves to information hygiene practices like questioning assumptions and critically assessing evidence without regard to source (this is also what the right-wingers believe but that does not occur to them either)

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Did anyone deny the Rwandan genocide other than Belgians?

the clinton administration

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

LimburgLimbo posted:

Both said accusations and her purported involvement may be total bullshit, and they're obviously politically motivated, but it's not like it's coming from nowhere and they randomly accused someone just because they're ethnically Chinese.

and that's better than if she was accused just because she's ethnically chinese?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
lmao this is the professor that accused the mp:

https://twitter.com/Anne_MarieBrady/status/1425698083107602439

hold on to ur butt fart simpson

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

LimburgLimbo posted:

It's not that odd for countries to have a reasonable level of suspicion towards people who take leadership positions in organizations that are likely auxiliaries to foreign nations' intelligence apparatuses.

this is literally mccarthyism, but if you're down with that go nuts i guess

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

LimburgLimbo posted:

I think that the Chen accusation is much less likely to be true, and there's only pretty thin circumstantial evidence, but I think it's not impossible that there's Chinese intelligence influence over her, because Chinese intelligence is probably good at their jobs.

what the hell is this, is there evidence against her or the organizations she's belonged to or not?

you can't credit an accusation because "chinese intelligence is probably good at their jobs", lol.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

exmarx posted:

if i was a global fellow of the kissinger institute and published by the national endowment of democracy, i would personally think twice before accusing others of acting in the service of foreign intelligence agencies

the professor is?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

fart simpson posted:

maybe he means the forums poster is?

anything's possible, they aren't exactly bringing their best these days

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

lmao

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Cpt_Obvious posted:

All those "CHINA IS FLOODING VIDEOS!" have aged quite well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4NDbP8c7-A

i generally dislike celebrating disaster, but gently caress car dealerships forever

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

stephenthinkpad posted:

Good listen. What's "AWAX", on board radar?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airborne_early_warning_and_control

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
my new favorite twitter account

https://twitter.com/maitreyabhakal/status/1436297106533150720?s=21

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Mr Hootington posted:

The rumor is all crypto trading or holding may be investigated as money laundering schemes or other such financial crimes.

does this mean i'll be able to buy a video card in the next year or so for something like msrp?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Not So Fast posted:

It really feels like the Western media has taken a complicated reform of the entertainment industry and has just focused on one word to condemn China over.

no way...

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

gradenko_2000 posted:

assuming they actually thought this through in any depth, the reason why you wouldn't include Japan in any kind of trans-Pacific military alliance is that everybody else has had a bad history with Japan and wouldn't want to be involved with them or be seen as supporting their remilitarization. It's a big reason for why existing treaties/agreements are all technically separate between any one Asian nation, and then the US, but not all these nations taken together

hell, even Australia has had a run-in with Japan

that's a very western centric and naive read of the situation imo.

the correct reasoning is probably something more along the lines that japan and sk would probably have declined membership if offered. they both have a very long history with china and i'm pretty confident that the presiding sentiment in japan at least is that the ongoing western dominance of asia at the expense of china is not in any way a foregone conclusion, and the consequences of picking the wrong team will be far more immediate for japan or sk than they would be for aus, much less the us or the uk.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
"re"militarizing

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

IAMKOREA posted:

maybe i'm just a contrarian but i think if i was an australian and i saw that speech I would immediately start lobbying for cooperation with China out of spite

i think a p fair number of boomer australians agree with the guy

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Ardennes posted:

Arguably, China still needs to expand its fleet if AUKUS actually is intending to try to cut their supply lines, but China’s economy is already so large they can do it that easily. The West couldn’t compete with them at all if they made an real effort.

in retrospect the us outsourcing their entire electronics manufacturing capacity might not have been the best move ever, militarily speaking

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

dead gay comedy forums posted:

this sort of stuff got me thinking a while

the worst part about getting informed about China is how much translation/context buffer there is that simply isn't mediated responsibly by most major vehicles and it's best to just hop on twitter and ask an English-speaking Chinese what they know about the situation

of course, that's intentional. I am reminded of my prof of international econ talking about how the iron curtain was a western imposition on the USSR, talking about how sinister their closed society is, but institutional interest to get people to read Cyrillic was none (from the USA/UK at least). Obfuscation happens due to cultivated ignorance, not because the other side is casting shadows on themselves

It seems a hundred times worse with China because of orientalism too tbqh. China is one of the oldest civilizations of the world, Mandarin is a tough language, etc so it is much easier to mystify the Chinese into a cipher, which, of course, works totally in favor with institutional interest. However, the feedback effect is such that while hot takes abound, nobody does the actual hard work of developing context

and from the perspective of an imperial government, that's really loving bad, because you are wide loving open to liars, scammers and cretins of every sort, with incompetence seeping higher and higher until people who should know better look at a discord screenshot and think "holy poo poo that's some incredibly hot info!". Then it turns out that this dolt is a high state department official. loving lmao

:agreed:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Ardennes posted:

They are also mass producing 55s at a constant rate, part of the reason the Anglophones are panicking.

Each of them can vertical launch over 100 warheads, including hypersonic anti ship missiles. Burkes have about half the firepower. It is part of one of the many reasons that even if a shooting war happened with Taiwan, it would literally last hours.

one tactical nuke and that whole group is gone, just saying.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I mean the same thing could be said for USs carrier groups, and let me tell you we will have significantly harder time rebuilding than china would.

i don't think aegis cruisers are gonna be deployed outside a carrier group so that was implied

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Ardennes posted:

This argument gets more tiresome each time. China also has nukes and No one uses them because MAD exists and the US isn’t going to be trading American cities for Taiwan.

The point of military force is leverage, everyone knows the ROC is hopeless screwed and that changes the power dynamic between the two powers.

i have no idea what you're trying to say here

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Ardennes posted:

The question now is if and when the US loses its grip on the indo-pacific region entirely.

ah i see you edited but without adding any content. very dnd of you.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Ardennes posted:

China also has big boom booms.

man i swear i'm not picking on you but my original post was just that a chinese tactical nuke could take out a us carrier group.

i think i must have misposted somehow?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Ardennes posted:

You wanted the point, that’s the point.

Otherwise, I have no idea what you are on about to be honest.

i guess we agree then?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Ardennes posted:

They are also mass producing 55s at a constant rate, part of the reason the Anglophones are panicking.

Each of them can vertical launch over 100 warheads, including hypersonic anti ship missiles. Burkes have about half the firepower. It is part of one of the many reasons that even if a shooting war happened with Taiwan, it would literally last hours.

sorry i misread this post at the beginning. mea culpa.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Mirello posted:

I can say as someone who lives in china, muslims here are about 100x more accepted by society than in america. theres tons of muslims everywhere, and it's not really a big deal in any way.

enjoy your incoming ban for genocide denial

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

comedyblissoption posted:

dick wolff has commented in one of his global capitalism talks that the western academic and news commentary on the topic of chinese innovation and technology can only be explained as extraordinary racism

got a link to that talk?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Shear Modulus posted:

it's going to be in his "global capitalism: live economic update" series which is where he puts out a ~2 hr talk every two months (he lectures fairly slowly on podcasts so you can play it at 1.5x speed pretty easily). it's on all the podcast platforms.

:tipshat:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i thought this was the funniest line in the article

quote:

At one point, I was tailed by a convoy of a dozen cars, an eerie procession through the silent streets of Aksu at 4 in the morning.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

i was actually kind of skeptical about the genocide claims until i saw this

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Raskolnikov38 posted:

it rules that the retard mod squad is finally going to shrink d&d to the point it can be drowned in a bathtub

glad to see a note of optimism in here

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
a post that was discussed and wasn't probated by the worms that run dnd

Megillah Gorilla posted:

EDIT: Beaten like a Uyghur in a Chinese re-education camp.

and a follow up by the op

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So you're still salty you ate multiple week long probes for genocide denialism and this is the best you can come up with?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

crepeface posted:

you can't get mad at australians for being racist and stupid, it's our national pasttime

i don't like baseball either so i reckon i can

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

edit that poo poo out already, jfc nobody needs to see taht

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

lol

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Al-Saqr posted:

it’s cool when Japan can just show up with a rising flag again like nothing happened the last time they waved that around thanks america

you're conflating a meaning to this normal japanese ppl don't feel, at least in my experience.

normal japanese ppl feel a sense of revulsion seeing that flag and confer it to the defense force, at least in my very limited experience speaking to japanese people about it.

japan, popularly speaking at least, is one of the most pacifistic countries in the world, even if their leadership resent and oppose it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty much the entire cultural memory of the country iirc is the delusional and idiotic ruling class using force and lies to drag them into a hopeless war that destroyed an entire generation and left the country a series of smoking, sometimes radioactive craters. Unfortunately, the ruling class hasn't gotten any less delusional and idiotic, and their democracy is pretty much a one-party state with a token useless opposition. There's apparently regular attempts to beef up the SDF into a real military rather than kayfabe and/or to get nukes, and every time there's massive popular outcry of 'gently caress no'.

Unfortunately like a lot of things it's uncertain how much that's actually going to matter when the people in charge decide to do what they want to do.

i live in japan so i can tell you in no uncertain terms that if a draft was instituted or even action against china in solidarity with the US considered the popular opposition would be sufficient to stop it.

i can't emphasize this enough.

eta: i've lived here for a long time so i don't think i'm talking out of my rear end but am welcome to correction. i obviously don't speak for the people of japan this is just my impression.

Stringent has issued a correction as of 14:04 on Oct 23, 2021