Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

sportsgenius86 posted:

“She was sitting out there looking like Bully Ray when he used to put women through a table.”

“She looks nothing like Bully Ray. Actually she’s the farthest thing I can think of from Bully Ray.”

"Who is she...who IS she..."
:geno: "She's Alexa Bliss."

Dave makes me laugh harder than most comedy podcasts I listen to and it's almost entirely due to having no idea if it's intentional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

MassRafTer posted:

We've reached the true madness of Hogan's memoir and this episode is really good.

https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/1140813170774351874

I wish this could go on forever, directly clowning on a lying racist is high quality content.

I think the reason that Hulk tells stories making himself sound bad sometimes is so that when he takes credit for popular poo poo it sounds more legit, while also making the bad stuff be things no one cares a ton about.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Good Listener posted:

I remember being at that Raw. Mostly I remember Jericho dong Hogan's taunts during presumably a commercial break spot. Me and my friend were like "yea get hosed Hogan!" Oh the younger times lol

Ha same, I remember there being one really big dipshit trying hard as possible to force "we want Hogan" and TNA chants during the end segment.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
Matt Cardona is a guest on a theme park podcast called Podcast: the Ride discussing wrestling-based restaurants, pretty fun listen. They go over WWF New York, the Nitro Grill, Pastamania, and a bit of the Steiner Shoney's

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

StarkRavingMad posted:

this post is stink

You're wronk

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
I used to listen to Lapsed Fan a lot tbh. I keep an earbud in at work all day so a six hour podcast was fine with me, the research can be really extensive and in-depth, and I've died laughing sometimes at their bits. Their WCCW retrospective was really something else but that and the steroid trial were the last things I considered listenable. Between the network ads, Pabst and Bluechew pitches, JP constantly doing unfunny long vocal impressions of themes, JP whining constantly about modern wrestling, JP being gross about women through the shows existence, a listener email segment that is just terrible, etc I realized I was now skipping most of a six loving hour show. I used to even laugh at most of the impressions but now JP starts them with almost no provocation with no point or joke in mind and drags it out for minutes.

Any time I dip back in to see if things got better its a resounding "nope" every time, and their fan base is definitely Corny-adjacent.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
People insisted for years the Attitude Era Podcast was great but every ep I tried was real boring and Kefin is terrible. In terms of British shows the New Generation Project wasn't incredible but props to them for straight up ending it once they ran their course

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
Figured I'd ask in here since it's podcast-adjacent-what are some good YouTube wrestling channels these days? Besides BTE that is

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Dawgstar posted:

Wrestling with Wregret's really good. Brian covers new cards and retro cards. Also he pissed off Cornette so he's doing something right.

Cool, I'll check it out. Thanks!

Jerusalem posted:

They showed the WORKED HANDOFF!?!?! :aaa:

More like a Dusty finish in that a win for the good guys was almost guaranteed then snatched away

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
I just started listening to Deadlock a couple weeks ago. It has guys being constantly manic, nonstop repetition of catchphrases, laughing at their own jokes, and a lengthy "fan input" segment-a bunch of poo poo that typically sucks and I should hate. BUT MAYBE I DON'T BROTHER

For some reason I love the drat show. Hope they get their Patreon poo poo sorted cuz I might end up joining it soon or maybe I won't brother

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

projecthalaxy posted:

I'd love to see what the employment (sorry independent contracting) packet for a big time wrestler is. There's probably a bunch of crazy clauses and releases

section 11 paragraph e brother

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
it's because machete guy kinda sucks

new Wrestlenomics is covering sport-washing and Saudi details, not a ton new but a good recap and perspective on it

Whoolighams fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 26, 2023

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Answers Me posted:

I swear there was a brief moment where people thought Mr Anderson Kennedy was going to be the next big thing. The mid-2000s really were barren weren’t they.

E: laughing so hard at Dave/Bryan having a real 'what the dog doin'? moment (another Deadlock reference whose origin is lost on me)

Dango Bango posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeYDTSYaUI4&t=1646s

e: looks like it was both before and after this episode, but it's something that picked up on the Patreon shouts out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvWvQJCDeQk

James loves his classic Vine bits https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1uGKLsMiDo

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Majinfoose posted:

If anything, the BtB dropping the ball on the Vince episodes got me to get the audiobook for Ringmaster

xpost from the WWE thread

Whoolighams posted:

completed the Vince Ringmaster book, not bad but felt unfinished, a lot of taking what wrestlers say as fact when they should know better but otherwise accurate and decently interesting. they could've done a lot more and for some reason ended it with his reveal as the higher power

it has the worst example of "audiobook narrator doesn't know the subject matter" I've ever heard (which is all over wrestling books not read by the author): nWo pronounced as "en-whoa"

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

History Comes Inside! posted:

They called it that because it’s the sound Hogan makes every time he notices there’s a camera approaching

:drat: brother

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Malcolm Excellent posted:

New Vegas sounds like a bummer. No buffets and everything closes early

plus the Cazadores are everywhere

I died at the strike one/strike two/Strikeforce joke Jawnny slipped in but got talked over

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
currently listening to a Napoleon history podcast and every time the host talks about Corisca I think of TNA Legend Corisca "Billy Verginer" Joe

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

MassRafTer posted:

Instead of listening to people review the same old wrestling shows again and again listen to a podcast that educates you on important stuff. Great new Podcast The Ride just came out today.

kinda surprised they haven't had more wrestling guests, seems like Ethan Page or John Silver would be perfect for it. honestly the fact Cardona has only made like two appearances is pretty surprising

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
it's the place that sent a millionaire executive a fruit basket for his great job making a sanitized corporate indie, of course they hate the guy who occasionally reminds them WWE isn't king poo poo of gently caress mountain

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
I think my ideal wrestling podcast would be something like "hey Dave, tell me about WCCW in the 80's" or whatever and then pressing stop around the two hour mark. zero editing

I also finally jumped on the Deadlock patreon, big lol at them hating big on Royce Gracie because he keeps winning with his move

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
Deadlock is always worth listening to all the way through, the q&a segment has a very unhinged energy that keeps it funny

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
James and Jawny are great and I can relate to Tony's energy of "got too stoned at a hangout"

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
the problem with an outsider is without the knowledge of the wrestling industry they could fall into the trap of thinking wrestlers are honest once you get behind the veil of kayfabe. the Andre book did a good job of not doing that-multiple times it referenced a tall tale then went beyond that into the real story with references

with Vince though, his hidden power lies within wrestling being a bullshit carnival that no one takes seriously so no one cares about his clown rear end compared to real sports. a focused outsider could do a great job just tearing into it all

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

MassRafTer posted:

Her dead name was on the lovely Media Men list which makes it hard to google. This was the entry.

This was pre-transition hence the pronouns.

great. well now I can move my "very slight reccomend with many qualifiers" down to "pass"

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

MancXVI posted:

I read Ringmaster and it lost me after it became a Wikipedia plot summary of the attitude era

it really does feel like they didn't have a full arc of a book at all. it cobbles a half-rear end Vince biography, attitude era sleaze recounting, and a Vince/Trump comparison that never developed well

there's so much there to dig into and time keeps adding more there to be discovered if you tried! it reminds me of the prosecution during the steroid trial: so confident it would be an easy slam dunk that they ended up completely underperforming

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
everything about Deadlock on paper should make for a podcast I absolutely hate but I'm on that Patreon now dude

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
BILLY VERGINER

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

MassRafTer posted:

I knew Daniels did stunts but didn't know he did this.

https://twitter.com/DoubleThreatPod/status/1757098149032927306

CD go on Podcast: the Ride

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
he does a good job. he's a great fit for the show