Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lone Goat posted:

Is there a different Todd Martin than the goofus that used to be on F4W?

Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

My problem with a lot of wrestling podcasts is they only focus on WWE and seem to only accept the version of history WWE puts out (unless you're a wrestling journalist, but only the hardest of hardcore listen to WOR or between the sheets). No one seems to care about Mexican wrestling outside of a small niche or any non-New Japan Japanese promotion, even if it's historically important like All Japan

Kudos to hulkamatt and massrafter for not being that way

ps talk about ring of glory

This is why Between the Sheets is good. Using "this week in Year X" to go through the dirtsheets and talk through everyone from WWE to All Japan to Joel Goodhart's TWA and Stampede, assuming they are doing a week those indies actually exist. They clearly have a great passion for Memphis.

Though the major criticism I have is someone needs to take Bix's soundboard away from him.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I only just listened to the Schiavone podcast for the first time today and I really like what I've heard. Was one of the first episodes they did on the first ever Nitro. And despite Tony not actually being involved in it and not being able to answer a lot of Conrad's questions it's interesting. Especially liked him talking being hotter that he wasn't asked to be involved in the production than he was to not be the commentator.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

mkay0 posted:

Dave calling for Daniel Bryan to quit wwe this fall and join the indies is really a conflict of interest now that he’s selling tickets to All In.

It's all what all sensible people want to see though.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

It was a really good title reign. It's a shame he looked like a big angry baby.

He looked like a big angry Terry Gordy child.

This is a tremendous look that should be easy to sell in wrestling.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

mariooncrack posted:

He's being inducted into a hall of fame.

It's actually a trick, he'll be kidnapped and held until Big Daddy gets into the Observer Hall of Fame

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I can't imagine being so mad about getting to actually see the best in the world do his thing sooner rather than later.

UFC needs to embrace its status as a circus & go back to running unregulated shows in states with no Athletic Commission with everyone doped to their eyeballs. Legitimate sport MMA has not been great.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

coconono posted:

I discovered David Finlay's youtube show. Its got lots of drunk and foul mouthed Juice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCWPHNqyVBrvGXgAjDF53YZw

I feel like you buried the lead by not mentioning the latest episode with Fit Finlay talking about his weird Pinocchio collection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-KXcM9NrLg

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

DangerDummy! posted:

It's funny, I'm in charge of the music at work, and I threw a hissy fit about that goddamn Gary Glitter song being on our play list, yet when it comes to Zeppelin and Bowie and every other scumbag musician/rock group, I'm like "Ehhhhhh, whaddya gonna do...?"

I am a colossal hypocrite.

I mean Zeppelin & Bowie made good music. You could justify it like "they hosed groupies and didn't ask about age while Glitter went out of his way to gently caress kids" but really it's just if someone is good enough it's a lot easier to separate art & artist. People still love watching Woody Allen & Roman Polanski films.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Fauxhawk Express posted:

The 2 on the right are MMA photogs Esther Lin and E Casey Leydon. I don't recognize anyone else besides Dave.

Marc Raimondi (another MMA Fighting person) is 2nd from left & next to him is his girlfriend who is on Twitter but I can't remember her name.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

There might not be audio on Thursday Dave isn't sure since he will be in surgery.

Dang, was hoping for for a Dave doped up podcast

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

You shouldn't listen to Bryan and Vinnie for analysis of the quality of the product that has any value besides comedy. Even Dave, honestly. Being a good entertainer or good reporter on stuff related to arts does not by any means make you good at critique of that art. Dave's biases in wrestling matches are hilariously apparent at this point, dude absolutely loves moves and overwrought "psychology" and basically can't bring himself to say anything bad about almost anyone in his circle (Charlotte was the obvious one, but I think Natalya has to be included at this point and Ospreay etc). He doesn't understand comedy wrestling at all or the sort of irony-poisoned love of a guy like Taichi.

How dare you imply the love of Taichi is anything but sincere sir? HOW DARE YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

It is tragic they are skipping PPVs and won't read Dave's glowing reviews of HHH, WON's 2000 Wrestler of the Year and 3rd place finisher as Most Outstanding Wrestler.

This is tangential and funny. I know you really needed TV to win a 2000 award but woof

It's easy to laugh, but you have to give it to the Observer readers who saw raw American Dragon on the Texas Wrestling Academy TV show. Far as I'm aware it was only on in the San Antonio area so you had to be going out of your way to watch that.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Remember when Cole commentated on the first UK tournament and everyone was like "oh wow, he was good?" Because the problem isn't Cole, it's the senile old man screaming in Cole's ear. I can't see Cole leaving and the quality changing positively. Vince being too busy with the XFL? Maybe. Fingers crossed.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol who is paying to see a mark calaway match in 2019 without the taker gimmick

Ready for him to return to New Japan with his old gimmick "Punisher" Dice Morgan that he had for exactly 1 tour. Where there was a match of him and Chris Benoit vs Scott Hall & Rocco Rock.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Wrestling fans are super negative so they focus on the content people want like Braun Strowman being buried in a glacier.

It’s the same reason he doesn’t ever say anything negative about AEW: people who are interested in it are the same people who subscribe.

Or maybe there's not much negative to say about the company that's not run a show yet?

I prefer the "Dave goes soft on them because he's friends with them" conspiracy than "he doesn't want to offend his subscribers" conspiracy, though both are dumb. They've said the right things, signed guys that Dave likes, dunno what they have done he's meant to poo poo on about aside from the general questions about sustainability in the long run. Which he's brought up.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 12, 2019

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

VJeff posted:

I'm actually really curious now if it was a worked gutterball or a shoot gutterball.

I'd like to imagine they took 20 takes and he stuck every single one into the gutter.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

“he looks like he pays women to take pictures of their feet” is the perfect summary of Conrad, so thanks to Redditor sunnyhaair.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

dsriggs posted:

I like how Les Moore came up with a lovely fat joke & found a way to strawman Dave saying it so he could pretend to be above making the fat joke in the first place.

It totally does sound like something Dave would have said in the same era as The Anabolic Warrior and The Junkfood Dog. But that was also 30 years ago and Meltzer doesn't write like that anymore so it's such a dumb point. I have no idea who Les Moore is but anyone that obsessed with Meltzer is just sad.

Why do you keep posting terrible tweets by this sad, obsessed cretin?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

In AEW he's been low energy but he tries to drag people through the mud when he can on his podcasts. Unfortunately most of the time he does podcasts with massive bullshitters who think their poo poo doesn't stink.

That's why the Tony Schiavone podcast is the only one I listen to (although Pritchard podcasts on Houston were really good because you can tell Bruce was really passionate about that) even occasionally, Tony seems like he has much less of an agenda to push, there's no consequences for burying WCW because it's not like he can get a job there. He gets a bit embarrassingly horny at times but hearing him rediscover the enjoyment for wrestling that was totally sucked out of him by WCW was nice.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

PaybackJack posted:

Some of the New Breed had a bit of potential. I thought maybe on the b-show under Heyman, Kevin Thorn might actually get groomed into something and used effectively. Cool music, good look and Shelly Martinez as a valet.

Elijah Burke seemed like he could have done a lot better as well.

Also the brief Marcus Cor Von, aka Monty Brown, run. How has nobody in this generation been doing 'The Pounce' as a move?

edit: Man, I remember having that John Morrison avatar for a few years too. Another guy they dropped the ball on.

Lance Archer has a pretty good Pounce.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Price Check posted:

Anyone else think that Dave was weirdly negative on the MSG show? Obviously the ROH stuff wasn't as good as the New Japan stuff but it's not like it ruined the show or whatever.

I haven't heard the podcast yet but go back to read the livethread. The slow women's angle was bad and killed the momentum from the hot opener dead. Immediately followed by whatever the hell that New York Street Fight was. First we hear Juice is too hurt. Then he comes out anyway to save Flip, looking fine. It was a 15 minute match that felt like it went twice that. And then after a fun spotty tag scramble there's a really loving execrable worked shoot angle which drags out for a long time, featuring two guys nobody likes. It just took the crowd out of it again. Tana & Zack managed to bring it back eventually, but the crowd searching social media to find out what the gently caress just happened was clearly detrimental. Even that PCO entrance was just this slow, unnecessary nonsense that was a fun idea on paper poorly executed which just dragged things out a bit more.

It didn't ruin the show but it could have if New Japan didn't book their matches like this was a really big show. The show could have and maybe should have been the best event the entire week but instead half of it was a complete slog to get through.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

wait was the enzo stuff actually planned by RoH? Somehow that’s even dumber than him legit hopping the fence hahahshshahahahahahaha

So says Voices of Wrestling's sources. Apparently it was forced on them by upper management

https://twitter.com/voiceswrestling/status/1114705273552347136

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

I wish ROH had gone last just so half the crowd leaving could’ve made the company look like an even bigger joke.

Also I could have gone to bed 45 minutes earlier and not be the walking dead right now

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Lid posted:

Can someone Meltzer translate for me about Kento Miyahara, because all i heard was "he's the best worker in the world except for these people better than him"

Sounds like a really convoluted way to say he's one of the 10 best wrestlers in the world.

Or maybe "best in the world at the simple things"

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 30, 2019

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

I haven't listened to it yet but Dave is on today's Jericho pod talking about the sale of WCW.

Thanks for the heads up, Jericho and Dave have done good podcasts in the past. Will give this is a listen.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Wait, like his actual high school garage band or is that euphemism for Fozzy?

Judging by previous Jericho show's I've listened to I expect it to be a kind description of Fozzy.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

PaybackJack posted:

The best shows are the ones where they talk about the non-mainstream stuff. Bischoff start in the business is the best 83 Weeks and actually feels authentic; like he steps out of the persona.

Same with Bruce Pritchard, the ones to listen to are any one where he talks about Houston Wrestling, because it was where he got his break and clearly still has that passion for it

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Dango Bango posted:

There are odds on Dave's star ratings? :psyduck:

Degenerate gamblers will gamble on anything.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

Be cool if people wouldn't call addicts "degenerates."

Fair. It's a habit I picked up around other sports gamblers a while back and while I didn't mean it maliciously I totally get that it's an uncool thing to say and I will try not to do that going forward.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Matt and Nick Buck

I believe their names are Max and Jeremy Buck.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Incessant Excess posted:

People say that all of the time and they don’t realize it, a union in pro wrestling would put pro wrestling out of business.

What J-Ru said, 100%. If you can't afford to treat the people who create almost all the value in your company decently then quit trying to run a business you failure.

This is a line of attack used by every industry since the beginning of trade unionism in the 19th century and very rarely is it proven right. Workers get somewhere around 15% of revenue in WWE, in the major US sports leagues with players associations the revenue split is around 50/50. And if you think the WWE cannot afford to pay their performers a much more equitable split and still remain profitable you have bought in hard on a lie.

Actually I have vague memories the WWE wrestler revenue share could be nearer 10% than 15 but thought I'd go for the more charitable number.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

It's a weird way to describe it, bias. It's just that current New Japan (& let's be clear, he's not regularly reviewing Dragon Gate or All Japan) is what he likes to watch more than anything since 90s All Japan. Would Ross describe himself as biased towards Bill Watts style pro wrestling?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

yea ok posted:

dave is biased towards japanese wrestling. it's not a bad thing and jim wasn't saying it as a bad thing. i know i've outed myself as listening to Grilling JR hosted by Conrad "Connie" Thompson, and defending cancelled jim ross but i'd like to clear the air

It's not actually true though, Meltzer is "biased" (honestly a weird way to describe liking something to me but whatever) towards New Japan. I rarely hear him talk up Dragon Gate, All Japan, Big Japan, DDT, NOAH or anyone else. He's not watching every watch in King of Gate or Champion Carnival.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

"Soccer doesn't have many timeouts"

Bless you Dave Meltzer.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

coconono posted:

At one point, Paul was regarded as a genius but I challenge everyone to go back and watch old ECW PPVs(not the butchered messes on WWE Network but actual PPV rips if you can find them) and see if it holds up. My personal experience is they don't.

Isn't it generally accepted that by the time ECW had gotten on PPV that they had reached their peak as far as the quality of the TV went? I'm only up to 1996 on my watch of Hardcore TV and honestly have fallen off it and need to get back to it sometime as it's been months, but it's a really fun show. Yeah, the Eddie Gilbert booked stuff was also fun, there's plenty stuff that falls shorts (binge watching is not always easy as it descends into week after week of walking brawls) but I can't help but keep coming back to how loving over Public Enemy were despite the fact that any other place that booked them they were completely forgettable. And Heyman really was good at playing to people's strengths and hiding the negatives as much as possible.

There's a whole lot around ECW which is deeply problematic (& not just the poo poo they say or the penchant for beating up women being a babyface move) and Paul Heyman is a conman who hosed over a lot of people and created a cult-like mentality to push away legitimate criticism, but Hardcore TV from 95 & 96. But you do have to watch low quality VHS rips rather than the stuff on the Network because it loses so much without music, be it the theme music or the Pulp Fiction promos. But it's very '90s and the '90s definitely don't hold up in hindsight. Still, rather watch '95 Hardcore TV than Raw or Nitro.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

the what?

*googles*

THE WHAT??!?

Genuinely upset that Dave didn't wake up in the middle of the night to record & post a podcast where he explains how loving weird and insane this is as soon as the news broke. Like, I expect his newsradar to be so attuned that it can interrupt REM.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Talking about the women's match at the ROH Best In The World show: "Her nickname is The Man Eater coz I guess her gimmick is going to be that she's eating men."

Dave Meltzer is amazing.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Really love to know how Dave's brain works.

Listening to the latest WOR and they are talking about the Ishii/Umino vs Cobb/Narita tag match at the G1 show, they get up to talking about the pull-apart brawl post-match with the crowd chanting "let them fight" and then suddenly Dave just goes "by the way did you see the slow motion pics of the Cody Rhodes chairshot from the other day?" And poor Bryan just in the most disinterested way possible goes "no".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

"The first question I have for yo-"
"I don't have any answers."

Dave finally admitting we're in WCW territory now :hfive: