Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Panfilo posted:

I had no idea the director and a few actors were from New Zealand. I'm terrible with accents and thought the rock dude was just this really chipper guy with some vaguely English accent.

I also found it funny that he was weirdly trusting toward strangers. He tells Loki's illusion "Piss off, ghost!" but then later when he sees the same 'ghost' that looks identical to the one in the holding area but this time its being zapped in the hangar bay he's just all :kimchi: "Hey fella you reckon you want to join us on our violent overthrow of our opressors yah?"

Are there some stereotypes about New Zealanders I'm not familiar with?

Watch Once Were Warriors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

awesmoe posted:

this is an unconventional suggestion for someone who is presumably looking for more in the kiwi-humour subgenre unless you think 'cook the man some eggs' is a setup but then the punchline is...oh....oh. :yikes:

Not all kiwi culture is humorous. Jake had better fight scenes than Thor did though.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Bulging well oiled muscly men also bother me.

Maybe not in the same way as you but i wish they stop being in movies so I don’t have to answer uh... hard questions about myself.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Oh I thought we were complaining about things that are never gonna change.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Gun violence being used to defend an entire of race of people.

But I suppose violence is more acceptable when it’s stabbing and pummeling.

You know, the stuff that would still happen if all guns disappear tomorrow.

I suggest you stop watching action movies.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Shageletic posted:

e:

Yeah there is, they're both gun shows

I can't believe that setup took so long.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

eyebeem posted:

I’ve been burned out on Marvel the past couple of years, but this is probably my favorite yet, and I’m a super hero movie apologist.

It’s close, but I think this was better than CA First Avenger. Even my 15 year old daughter loved it, but it might have been the longer-than-usual shirtless Thor scene.

Give your daughter the talk about Gods.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Magic Hate Ball posted:

sorry I keep forgetting people here are really touchy about stuff like this so allow me to break out the all-singing all-dancing opinion card again:

chris hemsworth is not funny enough to carry a movie like this

Dude, you got triggered by guns in a movie with people getting killed by swords thrown by gods.

Perhaps this style of movie isn’t for you. I hear “Wonder” is pleasant.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I mean, I guess? Maybe I'm not familiar enough with the character. It felt like if Bilbo had given Frodo a special magic AK-47, and then at the end of Return of the King he'd shot Sauron in the eyeball with it.

What are you a script doctor or something???!!
That’s money! You got the job!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ravenfood posted:

I just assumed the massive extra ammo was because Asgardians do actually seem to have bizarre magic powers sometimes despite the first Thor movie telling us that they just have space-science, so Skurge being a weird demi-god of guns (pretty sure every weapon in his little collection at the beginning was a firearm of kind) would totally be able to make them keep firing for longer than normal. It didn't seem odd at all.

He’s part 40k ork.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Captain_Person posted:

Another of the ships was done in the style of the Tino Rangatiratanga:

Taika Waititi did so much to acknowledge and involve Aboriginal Indigenous culture (and a few nods to Maori culture too) when making this, it's really wonderful to read about.

He even had a violent drunk.
But I got all my info on modern Maori culture from “Once Were Warriors” so I’m hopefully wrong.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

MikeJF posted:

Well the entire theme of the movie was about a state that builds itself on violent slaughter of native people then after it's taken everything rebrands itself as benevolent rulers and starts erasing atrocities from common knowledge, can't give a bigger nod to them than that.

Everybody already knows the Maori were brutal conquerors.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Vegetable posted:

It would be cool if Thor got a sword because you can do spins and parries and dual wields and those are way cooler than a hammer.

Couldn't he just use his hammer to shatter other swords?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

biracial bear for uncut posted:

You mean the hammer that was shattered in this movie?

Make a new one instead of borrowing crap from his dad.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

It gets bigger when you rub it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Two guys in a glass elevator talking.

Yup.

• Locked thread