Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Rooney McNibnug posted:

Hi new thread - what are some non-partisan (as much as possible) resources for current news on Rojava?

Find SA poster Saladin Rising, click "post history" :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's going to be neither. Saudi Arabia is trying to distract everyone from its internal 'issues' right now, and Israel's being Israel and trying to make it worse because if there's anything they enjoy, it's Arabs killing other Arabs.

Makes sense to me.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

one of MbS's dogs wrote an article, it's only fair we read some of the propaganda MbS is making GBS threads out for balances' sake:-

https://www.wsj.com/articles/riyadh-is-delivering-on-vision-2030-1510521284

Sure thing, Buddy. :jerkbag:

I like that his talking points are all about business-friendliness.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Tree Bucket posted:

When was the last time Turkey and Russia were on the same side? Has it ever actually happened before?

Poland getting obliterated by an Austria-Russia-Prussia triple team was a pretty good Ottoman use of a monkey's paw.

also the Seljuks and Russians both opposed the Mongols, one with more success than the other

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of it is about Al Jazeera, with a side helping of Qatar being supportive of Morsi in Egypt - but even that has a bit to do with AJ because they were happy to air Muslim Brotherhood and other opposition* figures.

I'm still sad the Emirate started leaning more on AJ but they do good work and aren't totally a state propaganda arm.

also Team Saudi declaring cold war on Al Jazeera probably hasn't helped the latter feel goodwill toward the former

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

There are people like this?

Not here there aren't.

He may be disingenuously conflating ISIS and the nasty bits of the Syrian opposition, and then marginally less disingenuously conflating support for the Syrian opposition in general with support for Al Nusra and friends in particular.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

OhFunny posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/30/world/middleeast/russia-egypt-air-bases.html

Speaking of diminishing US influence. This is quite the turn for Egypt. Maybe a return to the play both sides like Egypt did during the 50s&60s during the Cold War.

I’d like to also note the position of US ambassador to Egypt has been vacant since July.

Oh come on, Putin didn't even touch the Orb. :mad:

he might have been speaking to people through it though

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

Will Trump cause a third Intifada by moving the embassy to Jerusalem?

probably not, because the next person he talked to got him to delay that decision six months

he still wants to recognize it as Israel's capital though, which isn't exactly a big step up

I'm not sure this is enough to trigger a proper intifada but the rest of the Muslim world will be very very unhappy.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

About as odd as seeing anti-Assad/Ghaddafi condemning his death. It's all a question of whose son of a bitch he was.

yeah, if I absolutely had to pick, I'd have preferred him to stay alive just because his successful backstab of the Houthis offered the least unlikely chance of a more timely end to the war, but anyone with a dog in the more overarching Iran vs not-Iran proxy slapfight presumably has at least a BIT of a partisan opinion on the topic.

I stop waaaaaaay short of condemning his death though, he was a shithead and bears his share of responsibility for the whole catastrofuck in the first place.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

The X-man cometh posted:

Does this go with the Saudis pushing Palestine to capitulate, or is it a coincidence?

Has Hamas said anything? I've only seen Fatah's reaction.

Blah blah gates of hell

Hamas is unhappy but it's hard to dial up from their normal "we are unhappy this week" rhetoric

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

None of the leaders who fought against Israel in the past is still around, the "new" generation of Arab dictators is one that grew up with Israel being a thing that exist. It was a convenient scapegoat to distract the population from their problems at home, but not something that they personally cared about. So it shouldn't be a surprise that they're ready to drop it; especially since nowadays there's a new convenient scapegoat: the terrorists, who are of course and obviously backed by the Nefarious Iran. Israel and the Arab dictatorships can all be allied under Uncle Sam's umbrella for a great righteous war against the Perfidious Persians.

Hatred of the Shia will replace hatred of the Jews as a substitution target for anger against the government, and to that end a book entitled "Protocols of the Elders of Iran" will appear in the near future.

there's already stuff spreading in at least the American Christian Apocalypse Cultist community that Iran wants to destroy the world in general and Israel in particular to bring about the Kingdom of God

which is kinda funny because that's part of the Christian Cultist plan, the bullet points are just in a slightly different order

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

MBS doesnt want a Tolerant Islam, He wants an Islam Approved for by dictators and america and Israel, designed by Mckinsey. One that's specifically custom tailored to murder their own societies and remove any possible self examination, or liberatory or political engagement elements to it. Saudi Money and fascism in general destroyed any islamic scholarship in the wider muslim world or the posibility for a broad based politically engaged democratic transition for islamists, since every time they do so they are killed by KSA and their allies. It's how you make people stop engaging or caring about other muslims and what happens to them like the palestinians. and it will be one that is geared towards blind sectarian againt Iran. It will still be a nightmare dictatorship completely intolerant of any kind of human expression.

It's really easy to claim you want a more tolerant islam when you basically murdered every other tolerant islamic thought and other tolerant muslims because they wouldnt bow to you 100%

Also Hardline wahhabists are just imams who serve the sultan, they worship him and him alone so I would not expect any kind of serious action from them.

like, I don't really disagree with your broader point, but

quote:

designed by Mckinsey

is weirdly specific, I assume you basically mean MBS wants any 'reforms' to be skin-deep and friendly towards corporatism and investment

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

It's specific because his reforms were specifically designed by Mckinsey. Well, "MBB", but close enough.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outl...0879_story.html

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/markaz/2016/05/11/saudi-arabias-mckinsey-reshuffle/

Huh. Interesting.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

The X-man cometh posted:

The next King will be determined by an al-Saud family Smash tournament.

Fahad al-Saud has never been more prepared for anything in his life.

before this google search I never knew this dude or article existed

https://www.polygon.com/features/2015/4/30/8514675/a-saudi-prince-is-using-video-games-to-fuel-an-intellectual

I am inherently skeptical but at least there have been an awful lot of shittier princely pet projects

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

Looking to see if that na3m game thing still existed, I found that: https://www.disruptorawards.com/2015-honoree-blog/2017/1/19/hh-prince-fahad-al-saud-na3m-games

His instagram account is yolofahad.

I guess I maybe shouldn't have contributed to doxxing Al-Saqr

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Sergg posted:

This should not be taken lightly. Dostum flipping is what finally turned the tide against the Najibullah government, and the Uzbek community of Afghanistan generally follows Dostum's lead. That's about 10% of the population of Afghanistan.

one more reason blowing Massoud to smithereens was the second most successful operation in Al Qaeda history

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Toplowtech posted:

By next year Erdogan would have purged his country so much he will be hunting gulenists inside his own party.

most gulenists already were

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

CrazyLoon posted:

Great story. And it seems to indicate MBS really is a man that lives in the past and wants to recreate its 'glory days.' Time was you legitimately could kidnap kings and popes, have your thugs bully them into whatever proclamation you liked and it worked.

Stay safe Pope Frank :ohdear:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Count Roland posted:

Where do you guys go for ~good~ geopolitical analysis?

this thread

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

khwarezm posted:

I cannot believe how dumb MBS is. He's seriously giving Trump a run for his money in the 'should never have been put in charge of a country' category. Every single thing he's done, with the exception of some small social reforms that seem designed primarily to look good for Western cameras, seems to have totally failed to improve Saudi Arabia's geopolitical situation and just lay bare the country's awful, oppressive systems and its ruling class's medieval sense of entitlement.

If you anoint Muhammad as crown prince, a great nation will fall.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

*waggles hand*

(Smaller) elements of the military routinely get purged for suspected disloyalty to the regime. Of course, this does mean that any actually disloyal muckety mucks either got purged at some point or are playing their cards very close to their vests.

I've heard this batch of protests was actually started by hyperconservative elements to beat on Rouhani but it turns out an awful lot of people are unhappy with the economic situation (which is supposed to be prosperous in exchange for the regime's dominance) and don't just blame Rouhani.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

The problem is, donald trump got elected when most of the Iran deals benefits would take place. And also, the American deep state will never allow the fulfillment of those deals because they list for Iran’s blood, now with trump in the White House apparently America’s commitment to treaties it signs is now dubious.

1) The independence and influence of the American "deep state" may be a bit weaker than those you are personally familiar with.

2) Lust for Iranian blood as such is more of a thing for the shallow state, quite frankly.

3) The US has always been a somewhat iffy negotiating partner due to being a two-party democracy, this does admittedly go quadruple regarding Iran and North Korea. Trump is just unusually bad.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Saladman posted:

I don’t know why they’re focusing so much on that, when there’s a separate imperialist invasion of Tunisia that just started which is guaranteed to kill more people in the long run:

http://www.businessnews.com.tn/kfc-ouvre-son-premier-restaurant-en-tunisie,520,77207,3

:golfclap:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

good on the wafflefuckers gentle lovemakers

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

lollontee posted:

well duh, there's people who don't know who peter kropotkin was. being a leftie doesn't mean you can't be ignorant

i know who he is, he invented the crockpot before its name got anglicized

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

a total liquification of any group or person or awhatever who managed to succeed in the poo poo environment they set up in the first place and shaking them down for money they dont have and to make way for foreign companies to swallow the country.

the word you're probably looking for is liquidation, although with enough barrels of acid it could totally be your way

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

aphid_licker posted:

This is some wizard poo poo BM

i'm so proud of our greatest living forums CIA operative celebrity

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I believe y'all overestimating the deliberateness here. They probably hit the panic button and everything that was in the air aborted their missions and showed up. There's a protocol for it dating back to the Vietnam War at least.

i like to think it's a literal big red button

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

lol didn't you get the boot because you were rigging elections too mu-

El Disco posted:

It's super weird seeing him call for free presidential elections.

Volkerball posted:

He isn't saying it because he wants free and fair elections without guardian council interference, that's for sure. He just wants to be center stage.

ehh, the guardian council / supreme leader / security apparatus don't like him very much these days

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

svenkatesh posted:

Islam is a political religion.

You can't "triangulate" Shariat. You either follow it or you don't.

Related - notice that none of Saudi Arabia's "reforms" have actually contradicted or rolled-back Shariat.

you can promote nerds and norms you like and lean on nerds and norms you don't, although in the case of the Taliban it's definitely more the nerds making policy rather than policymakers leaning on the nerds

i don't actually know anything about whether the Taliban's applied theology has changed in any meaningful way in the last fifteen years but dismissing that as a possibility is stupid

fake edit: oh right, you're that guy

actual edit: also I missed buttery pastry being a funnyman

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Squalid posted:

The Houthi are about to execute a bahai man for his religion

The Baha'i are nearly unique in terms of religions with a nontrivial population in that if you're the sort of reactionary dickwad who cares about whether or not a religion is People of the Book, the Baha'i are still okay to pick on.

it doesn't really come up too often, but Mormons absolutely would have the same problem, what with ongoing divine revelations like "oh actually God just now told us that black people aren't under an ancestral curse"

also, Hindus getting declared PotB is one of my favorite examples of rulers making their theology nerds contort their logic to match social progression; "eh gently caress it, the Vedas are sort of a holy book, all those weird gurus aren't technically prophets, and actually we don't really have to distort the monotheism thing too much at all because Hinduism's whole syncretic gimmick is that all 'gods' are facets of the One True Incomprehensible God"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Volkerball posted:

There's a couple other journalists besides BM who have been in this thread in years past, but they've all migrated full time to Twitter. BM just has an absurdly high tolerance for dumb, prejudiced internet commenters.

is the joke that Twitter is a poor choice for that criterion?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

lollontee posted:

I’m drawing a blank on a famine that the Empire didn’t cause or exacerbate. Nevermind ameliorate.

One of my favorite British imperial officials is Warren Hastings, the dude who bitched up a storm about British policy during the Bengal famine being inhumane and, worse, counterproductive.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

it's an understandable linguistic error, he meant to say MbS is the embodiment of the reason it happened

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Toplowtech posted:

Oh, we are. Or we would be if the only source i ever saw of Macron saying that stupid poo poo wasn't you know some Twitter post without even a source.
edit: he is now complaining that jacobin magazine is stealing his "macron scoop". And his own first post to this message was "By the way, I was being ironic."

:saddowns:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

As usual, expanding US sphere of dominance

:toot:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

We aren't expanding poo poo. This is a reminder that it exists and there will necessarily be a price for openly defying its mandates. The really sick thing is nobody would really give a gently caress if it was a barrel bomb that blew up that shelter in Douma because even with PGM that stuff still happens.

It's posturing. All of it.

I'm gonna reiterate a thing I've said before: while filing chemical weapons directly with nuclear and biological weapons is facially very stupid, there are very good and very practical reasons for making them Very Unacceptable.

To wit: chemical weapons, realistically, are meant to target civilians. Military forces will almost by definition be more equipped to resist them than civilians. Chemical weapons are therefore Bad and discouraging their use is, if appropriately carried out, Good.

(trump's a moron and I don't trust him to even do this right, but)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

well the good news is the russian veto didn't really matter one way or the other

those stupid fucks

Which stupid fucks?

I almost wonder if Assad isn't looking for a way to push someone under the bus for this. It might even be legitimate - I seem to recall that one of the prior chemical attacks was (allegedly) after a general's son got killed by the rebels and he flipped the gently caress out.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

pro starcraft loser posted:

Who cares how much we have? We are getting rid of them and never used them (outside teargas).

Other than all the false flag attacks in Syria, where we provided the rebels with chemicals and shells carefully designed to precisely imitate regime stockpiles

oh, and the part where we poisoned that ex-spy in the UK

and presumably the Only Good Kim in Malaysia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

at some point someone dubbed this over the majestic voyage of the Admiral Kuznetsov and it was perfect