Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Office Pig posted:

https://twitter.com/Jerusalem_Post/status/927637248815726592

Edit: Reuters is saying the same thing word for word.

so this is, um, really alarming. so is this gonna be a giant land war now or is it gonna be a proxy war in Yemen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Aurubin posted:

The Saudis can't win a war in Yemen much less Lebanon, or are they just going to covertly back the Israelis? That war stalemated too, and that was before an entire generation of Israeli soldiers first combat experience was preteens with rocks.

as i and probaly others have said. why should the saudie royal family care. its just conscripts and client state soldiers dying. worse comes to worse some of their bastards and seventh born sons die when they order a charge into a minefield.

Squalid posted:

Well for reference one of the Princes just arrested, Alwaleed bin Talal, once called a Forbes Magazine editor in tears to complain that they were underreporting how rich he was on their annual billionaires list.

so whats the chances of him already being dead in some black site somewhere. because i feel like most of the people arrested are either already dead or about to be, maybe after some weird show trial.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 7, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

what? how? why?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Count Roland posted:

Yeah I think its this.

A direct war is highly unlikely. They're trying to stir up enough poo poo that Hezbollah ends up fighting where it doesn't want to.

I'd laugh if all this was a huge ploy to draw Hezbollah back to Lebanon, while the revived FSA is ready to mount a fresh offensive to take Damascus.

so would i, but i doubt KSA royals are that smart.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

so was he there for some diplomatic thing and now he is held hostage and forced to resign and now his country will be hosed to death?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Squalid posted:

Sad recent story from Libya

http://www.newsweek.com/comic-con-event-attacked-islamic-paramilitary-libya-702614

I remember feeling rather :unsmith: when they held this event last year, it was just a small little blip of freedom and self actualization in the mess that is modern Libya. Pretty sad to see how little freedom the people of Libya have wound up with.

loving wahabis(hell any kind of uber conservative religious parasites) are a cancer of this world. i hope these kids don't get murdered in public square because spider-man is evil to some weird child loving Wahhabi cleric and his illiterate underlings.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-41946310

welp, I think there's definitely a conflagration happening pretty soon

https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/928990032916090880

Nasrallah is now saying that Israel is being asked by Saudi to hit lebanon.

Wonder who will shoot first. It may still be hard saber rattling but I am worried.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

He looks and acts like there is a guy with a rifle pointing at him offscreen

well.

judging from this, it seems likely.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Volkerball posted:

The political environment in Egypt is healthy as ever.

https://twitter.com/OzKaterji/status/930881166713991173

but drinking(unfiltered) from any major water way/river/body of water) can lead to illness. it wasn't even a veiled insult toward the government, it was a open loving health warning. christ, my mother would be arrested in half hour thats a crime now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

mediadave posted:

Inevitable outcome inevitably happens:

Long Divided, Iran Unites Against Trump and Saudis in a Nationalist Fervor
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/26/world/middleeast/iran-nationalism-saudi-arabia-donald-trump.html

genuinly sad. Irans goverment is loving terrible but there was chance of future reform/hell maybe populist overthrow if we let the country open up and etc. Now trump has made the same mistake the Iraqis made in the 80s and the Persians have rallied around the flag and to their homeland and now a hardliner will be in power. good times ahead indeed.

Duckbox posted:

I'm also conflicted, but I think giving people the option to put the guns down and go home is important because you can never kill them all and you don't know how many innocents will die if you try. Ideally, you'd want to make sure they won't pick up arms again, but it's hard to be sure of anything in a war zone.

I don't know what will happen to the fighters and families bussed out of Raqqa, but I feel like the fact that they agreed at all probably means they're sick of fighting and most just want to keep their families safe. I understand the desire to see them face justice and I feel the same way about Assad, but wars are about more than justice and the preservation of life sometimes takes precedence.

apparently alot of them had suicide vests on including the kids. so who knows.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

is it wrong that i am ok with the Sisi regime coming down on salafists and the like. those assholes are cancer to the muslim world and id rather they be steped on by jackbooted thugs then regular folks(yeah i already know they are doing it to regular folks and left wing people.)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

Yes it is wrong. nobody in any sector of society should be subjected to any kind of jackbooted thugs, especially jackbooted thugs who are also rapists and anti-semites and mass murderers like the dogs of the Egyptian regime. if america gets to have it's fair share of kooks and crazies who go about their business making peoples lives miserable in a free and open society, then other people from around the world should as well. This guy deserves to be fined and punished for what he's done and said, but to actively cheer on people who dont give two shits about any kind of humanity just because they've decided to target conservatives you dont like is not a good attitude to have.

The real and absolute cancer to the muslim world is fascism. it is the sole cause of all the diseases and malaise and failures of the arab world. Ayman Al zawahiri was a product of fascism, salafist jihadism was a product of fascism, all of the things you hate about those guys stemmed from them. you kill fascism, 90% of the main reasons of all the diseases die with them.

Be for freedom no matter who it benefits and against fascism no matter who it targets.

i know. i am sorry. i know its facism and Al zawahiri is symptom/product of it. i didnt mean to defend sisi or his facist shithead rape regime. i just want to see some loving punishments for assholes for once. i guess Martin Niemöller really was right. if facism happens to people you hate, you don't mind it. sorry i was an rear end.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

its probably to get to the more "moderate" salafits to back them or some poo poo like that. then again fascists hate sexual expression in any form.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Count Roland posted:

I've been reading this opinion elsewhere too, and I guess I have a hard time swallowing it.

I mean, the US has, for decades, sold and given huge amounts of weapons to Israel. It vetoes resolutions against them at the UN. It provides all manner of diplomatic support.

But no, moving an embassy is the bridge too far?

Granted this is a lot more public and blank and white than other actions. But I feel like this is putting on paper what has been clear for a long time: the US is clearly on Israel's side. This is the sort of thing that makes politicians in the West uncomfortable because they have to have an opinion on this. What about people in the arab world? Is this really turning people against the US that weren't already against it?

that stuff can be sorta waved away with "regional ally" immunity poo poo, like why we look the other way with the KSA. but this is the rubicon if you will. there is no turning back.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

fishmech posted:

No it really isn't, if literally everything before it wasn't.

i am not agreeing with i, we have always been openly in bed with Israel. idk. sorry.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

Watch this actually turn out to be a proper revolution but the new government immediately repudiates the nuclear agreement and starts planning to anschluss southern Iraq a la russia-crimea.

So what are the chances of the blowing into a revolution. I doubt it would be successful but it would be nice to see the Iranian people take their country back and hang the theocrats from cranes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sinteres posted:

The impression I've been getting from twitter and my memory of the crackdown last time is that the difference this time is that the protests aren't concentrated in the major cities, where the regime is most prepared to crack skulls. Last time the rural/urban divide was a big thing, but if even rural Iranians are turning maybe that makes a difference. That's not to say the regime won't find a way to suppress it anyway though.

who knows. i am sure its hosed, but it would be great to see the ayatollah and his inbred illiterate followers thrown from power. i feel like its gonna happen at some point. there are way to many young people.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Randarkman posted:

Not every young person in Iran is against the Islamic Republic.

The thing with Iran in contrast to the Arab dictatorships is that they have actually carried out a revolution of sorts and the government actually does have significant legitimacy and ideological appeal.

wasnt the revolution co-opted by the islamists though?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Why? like pakistan isnt great(military state with ever riseing chance of getting couped by islamists someday and keeping the taliban around as perpetual enemy) but what pissed trump off enough to do this.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sinteres posted:

Trump hates Obama and Bush, and constantly gets convinced to do things by people telling him they weren't brave enough to do what he will, so that's probably what happened.

probaly, but what is he gonna do? sanctions? military/civil aid freeze cut off. or will he just forget by tomorrow.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

OhFunny posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/21/...WT.nav=top-news

Meanwhile in Afghanistan:
  • The reports are the Haqqani Network planned and carried out the attack on the Intercontinental Hotel in Kabul. Many members of the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology were there for a conference.
  • 11 Kam Air employees are dead, all flights are suspended, but they hope to resume them soon.
  • Afghanistan’s Consul General to Karachi, High Peace Council spokesman, and the director of communication information technology of Farah province have all been killed.
  • At least 18 killed by the Taliban as well in Balkh. Most of them local police militia members.
  • Col. Gulbahar Mujahid, the Karah province’s deputy police chief, was killed by a roadside bomb. The Taliban have been squeezing Farah City over the last few weeks.

how the gently caress has the country not collapsed already. :( i assume its just US bribe money and military keeping the central government alive.

Saladin Rising posted:

More countries are starting to condemn the Turkish invasion, and it's an amazing cross section of countries that usually can't agree on what color the sky is:
https://twitter.com/sayed_ridha/status/955043091303473152

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/955075680533807104

Assad, Russia, France, Iran, Egypt...

Erdogan is a uniter! Uniting the entire world against him that is.:shepicide:

I am honestly surprised it took him this long to invade.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

lollontee posted:

wait what, seriously? there's actually people out there who calling themselves leftists who do not support rojava? that's amazing, i din't know that was an actual thing

tankies. thats all you need to know.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Duckbox posted:

The "why does whitey hate Erdogan" stuff was way worse.

wait? what? are hoteps loving erdogan now or some crazy poo poo?

so has there been any more developments out of syria?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

If you fight for assad you dont deserve any sympathy. Period. I dont give a poo poo, it's either freedom or fascism, they chose fascism, gassing children and mass killing and mass torture. they dont deserve any kindness or consideration. Nobody gives a rats rear end about the widows of Nazi's or the people who died fighting for them due to circumstance. I'm super glad that some of them get suffer and die the way the same way they gladly killed and gassed the Syrian opposition for defying their fascist regime. Sorry if you're willing to give them the kindness they would never show other human beings who committed the crime of not letting themselves remain under a torture fascism regime.

this. i am sure its more complicated. but the assads should die and their men should be hunted down and shot like the dogs that they are. these fucks were pefectly fine gassing kids to death, not to mention the death camps and the windspread torture. they know what they joined. instead its probaly gonna be war between the fascist Assad and grand sultan erdogan with tons of gassing and massacres on each side while trump sits in his office and fingers his rear end in a top hat to thoughts of his daughter.

speaking of monsters.

https://twitter.com/rickgladstone/status/955952120209035274

why the gently caress are we defending these assholes. i mean for gently caress sake, we are already a lovely imperial power, why not just go full Britannia and purge this poo poo from Afghanistan. or better yet, just loving leave and let them get slaughter by salafist assholes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Squalid posted:

Taliban aren't really salafists. I haven't read past the headline but this supposedly explosive secret is so open US officers have been openly complaining about it to loving Vice journalists for years.

i know its been open, i just get tired of that poo poo. its loving depressing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/VivaRevolt/status/964198158241796097

https://twitter.com/Hammurabi_News/status/964138480405278720

https://twitter.com/VivaRevolt/status/964224174188310530

well seems like assad isnt giving up so easy. sending in the regulars and iranians.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/982966315467116544

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/982967389028569088

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/982969547283161090

he is either gonna do another impotent show of force or nothing, or maybe he says gently caress it and has assads brains blown all over a wall by a seal team. trumps dumb rear end in a top hat, so i suspect the first option.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Libluini posted:

Is this for real? How can the president of one of the most powerful nations on Earth not know how that red line thing works?

because he is a hypocritical idiot.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

GWBBQ posted:

It's all coming in via Twitter first, but here's a news article https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/943275/Syria-airstrike-USA-explosions-Lebanon-Assad-fighter-jets-T4-Tiyas-news-latest

One wave of cruise missiles has hit 4 airbases, including the T4 Airbase that's being used as a base by the Iranian army. Reports that a second wave of cruise missiles are firing or about to fire.

Christ. he is going full air war now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

lol, trumps gonna say it was us on twitter.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sinteres posted:

Can't help thinking they should try to force the issue by telling European countries they're going to start trials and executions if they don't take their citizens back. I'm not a supporter of the death penalty, but if people leave their comfortable European life behind to work for a genocidal terrorist group, I won't have a lot of sympathy for them if they do get killed. Some former ISIS members will probably have to be reconciled eventually in Iraq and Syria, but I don't think it should be Syrians' job to babysit the people who showed up from elsewhere to destroy their country.

pretty much, this is an idiot monsters who was fine with raping and executing people but now like the bully shithead he is, he is scared of the consequences but he has no remorse. if the kurds shoot this dude in some field somewhere the world will be a better place. if the west washes their hands of him and others, they have no right to bitch.

Savy Saracen salad posted:

MBS is a a war criminal and Asad Abukhalili is a loving loony and I have zero respect for that senile goat fucker.

I am pretty sure Trump will respond to the chemical attacks seeing that Fox News has been beating on the drums of war in their news coverage but the question is on how large will the retaliation be? Will it just be a gesture like the last attack aka attacking an almost empty airfield or will the targets be bigger this time? Guess we will find out soon.

two other things. bolton is in the house now and he will probably want an invasion or other giant war poo poo. this and everything on the homefront is going really bad for donald. the walls are closing in on with the various corruption and possible treason stuff. he may "wag the dog".

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sinteres posted:

He called out Russia and Iran as backers of the regime, but he made it sound like the target list is limited to chemical weapons infrastructure (though he kind of hinted it might not be one and done), and still indicated he'd like to withdraw from the country.

The Pentagon's going to have a briefing at 10, so it'll be interesting to see if they'll say the strikes are completed at that point or if this is going to be an ongoing thing.

he barely called out russia. he basically did "i am disappointed in you but daddy loves you" with them.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

I'm pretty sure there are drones involved also but the twitter I got it from may be making poo poo up whole-cloth

https://twitter.com/arturaskerelis/status/984967157934116865

why not just blow up the palace and kill assad/family/officers. that would at least be more effective.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sinteres posted:

However this ends up, Assad's a loving moron for pushing the line until he got this response, though I still think Trump very possibly was the catalyst when he abruptly started talking about withdrawal.

probably. trump is looking for a quick "wag the dog" so he can get a boost from being a corrupt monster at home. outside the chudsphere. its not working so far.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/993563017336967168?s=19

We'll know what's what soon in regards to the Iran Deal.

so its war than probaly because thats what trump wants anyway.

https://www.balloon-juice.com/2018/05/07/war-with-iran-a-campaign-of-catastrophe/

i wonder if we will hit vietnam casualty figures.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mister Bates posted:

the full powerpoint presentation reads like Prince wants the US to drop all pretenses and just straight-up colonize Afghanistan

he also claims he'll reduce US troop and contractor presence to zero, which is technically accurate in the most deranged way possible: he isn't going to remove all American personnel, he's just going to have them serve under the Afghan flag so they're not technically a US military presence. he calls this 'Afghanization'. he proposes establishing an Afghan Air Force staffed entirely with American personnel from the maintenance crews on up, and using US PMC aircraft, but flying under Afghan markings. he wants to place PMC employees in high-level support and 'advisor' positions in the Afghan government and military high command. the eventual end goal is to have the PMC's employees permanently embedded at all levels of the Afghan military and government.

he specifies that the PMC personnel deployed will exclusively be American ex-military, deployed in small groups with most of their combat power coming from Afghan National Army auxiliaries operating under them.

oh, and just in case you didn't know where his priorities lie, 'Initiate Strategic Mining' is intended to be part of Phase One of the pilot program, he wants to have profitable resource extraction operations up and running before this enterprise has expanded outside of two provinces.

this plan is both cartoonishly evil and laughably stupid, which is to say I expect the president to sign off on it within the year

cool, we going full east india company plus video game villain now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Volkerball posted:

Should be more details coming soon.

https://mobile.twitter.com/LinahAlsaafin/status/1048696700485816321

I'd like to see more to corroborate it, but MEE spoke with a Turkish official that made some extraordinary claims.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MiddleEastEye/status/1048690740375822337

https://mobile.twitter.com/martinchulov/status/1048698514958704644

jesus christ. thats pretty open and horrible, even for the loving saudies. I guess king dipshit is really desperate.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i never understood why we choose them over Iran. like yeah both do horrible loving poo poo, but iran has a future and maybe even someday some sorta of Non-theocratic goverment. saudi arabia is just gonna become a higher tech version of mad max world when the oil runs out or is found cheaper elsewhere/etc and the princes all go game of thrones on each other.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There's just too much bad blood. There was a small window of opportunity right after 9/11, at least according to that profile of Qasem Suleimani that has been linked here a few times; they seemed to have been willing to help the US in its Afghan campaign, but then Bush put it in the Axis of Evil, and it all went to naught.

i feel like we sorta could have come to a slightly warmer relationship with the obama deal but thats loving dead forever. maybe we will get lucky and trump will fall in love with the iranian goverment next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Volkerball posted:

There's rumors going around now that Jamal is alive and in Saudi custody, but nobody knows. Meanwhile, Friedman somehow had the audacity to open his stupid loving mouth right now and what do you know, stupidity poured out.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SulomeAnderson/status/1049370198711656450

Trump doesn't like it. Doesn't like hearing about it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1049416779032907776

jesus. he really is just a moron. like this is the kinda times where he could really push a "look how the savage saudies treat americans" or some poo poo but instead, its this poo poo.