Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Cross posting for the new thread:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Count Roland posted:

The real question is is what if anything KSA does in response.

They're going to let literally zero food and medical supplies into Yemen instead of a trickle and wait for their little war to resolve itself.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

https://twitter.com/AJENews/status/927787425488924674

I'm glad that Sisi is so committed to the rule of law. Truly, a great man that everyone in the ME can look up to. I wonder what bootlicker he has lined up to be his totally legitimately elected successor.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Welp, time for a real war.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Have to agree with Bibi here

https://mobile.twitter.com/AFP/status/939886373665951747

Bombing an ethnic group because you don't want them to have any political power in your country is bad.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Really loving this ongoing slapfight between Bibi and Erdogan. :allears:

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/9408...genumber%3D1483

He's not wrong, etc.

e: oh hey he elaborated a bit http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42335751?ocid=socialflow_twitter

Sultan Erdogan posted:

Addressing a summit of the Organisation for Islamic Co-operation, he said the US decision to recognise the city as Israel's capital was "null and void".

Mr Erdogan also again accused Israel of being a "state of terror".

Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas said the US had "disqualified itself from playing a role in the peace process".

"We shall not accept any role for the United States in the peace process. They have proven their full bias in favour of Israel," he told the summit.

Still not wrong.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Dec 13, 2017

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Sinteres posted:

Erdogan has reason to be upset, but he's (at best) flirting with blood libel here.

https://twitter.com/CNNTURK_ENG/status/940950197651243008

"I heard that they use the blood of ChristiansPalestinians in their matzo ball soup."

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Volkerball posted:

Oh yeah I forgot to post this. It's hilarious.

https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/942329507721117696

THE FRIGATE - BUILT FOR SPEED goes 14 knots

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

They're too busy colliding with fishing vessels, tankers, container ships, tugboats, and the shore to be allowed near a busy sea lane.

Colliding with commercial ships would make for a pretty effective blockade.

Until you ran out of navy ships, of course.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Sinteres posted:

Merry Christmas to those who celebrate, dear thread of horrors.

https://twitter.com/Joyce_Karam/status/944684542358585345

Glad to see the rest of the world is celebrating Christmas again :smugdon:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

So less horrific than if the SEALs had been there instead?

The pilot wasn't an 8 year old girl so he'd have been safe from SEALs.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah executing him is technically a war crime but this is an extremely brutal civil war and as a pilot it is very likely that he personally bombed a number of civilian targets on purpose. Plus he's ok with working for a murderous fascist dictator that gassed his own people. In that context I couldn't give less of a poo poo if he died in combat or was executed after capture.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Thug Lessons posted:

Personally I'm opposed to war crimes period, and don't have any time for these self-serving rationalizations where he's probably a bad guy anyway so who cares. But even if were I would be disturbed that these would-be liberators are willing, even gleeful, to commit war crimes right out in the open. I wouldn't want anyone like that running a country. Their victory could only lead to more death and suffering.

Some war crimes are worse than others. Intentionally bombing a hospital and killing 50 people is worse than executing a captured soldier who was probably forcibly conscripted. And executing that conscript is worse than executing a pilot that has probably bombed a few hospitals himself. It's really low on my hierarchy of giving a poo poo.

Also would it really make you feel better if HTS had given a super obvious lie? Like if they had said, "oh we just found him like that, he must have slit his own throat to avoid capture :angel:" would it make a difference?

Sinteres posted:

Speaking of Iraq, ISIS seems to be transitioning back into an insurgency there, which isn't a great surprise but is still sad. I'm sure the ongoing tension between the Kurds and the government isn't helping anything, but some level of continuing jihadist threat was probably inevitable.

I imagine they're heading back to the pre-ISIS situation where the shiite dominated government shits on the sunnis, which makes them more receptive to the next insurgent group that shows up.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 27, 2017

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Thug Lessons posted:

When you have to start excusing war crimes by telling yourself stories about how the victims of those crimes personally and deliberately bombed multiple hospitals it's probably time to sit down and re-evaluate your assumptions.

Boy I guess it's a good thing I didn't excuse it!

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Thug Lessons posted:

You were at the very least minimizing it and basically saying it doesn't matter. You don't give a poo poo, and the guy deserved it anyway. That's a kind of excuse-making.

I've acknowledged that it's a war crime, you're just mad that I'm not sufficiently outraged.

Thug Lessons posted:

It's not that far from believing every USAF pilot has personally and deliberately bombed multiple Afghan weddings.

If there had been a systematic campaign of bombing every wedding in Afghanistan, then this wouldn't be a terrible assumption.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

spaceships posted:

nevermind the fact the shah was a tyrant

Minor details. Same for his secret police.

E: maybe they don't count his son as a tyrant because he never got the chance to rule as one? :v:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

1) The independence and influence of the American "deep state" may be a bit weaker than those you are personally familiar with.

2) Lust for Iranian blood as such is more of a thing for the shallow state, quite frankly.

Yeah, I'd say it's more of a neocon thing. The sorts of people who are now the :airquote: serious people :airquote: in the Trump administration (i.e. Mattis).

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Tokamak posted:

I hate Erdogan because Turks make worse kebabs than Lebanese. Inshallah.

Putting mayo on my Turkish kebabs to trigger the libs.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Ah, you must be new here. thatfatkid is an idiot tankie that backs Assad "because imperialism."

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Making me agree with Tom Brady is a war crime.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Saladin Rising posted:

This is for making sure our little North Syria fiefdom is armed to the teeth against the many enemies around them as we stay around there for the indefinite future.

Hey that's what happens when the US president doesn't know poo poo and he hands foreign policy over to the military, you get a military-minded solution.

I bet this was an easy sell to Trump. Half the money is going to "border security." :v:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCSteveR/status/963676464423071744

"They died for the Motherland and an idea..."

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

It's super weird seeing him call for free presidential elections.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Goon Danton posted:

Does the army let you enlist when you're underage, or do we have to wait until next year to send troops in who weren't even alive when we invaded?

You can sign up when you're 17 (with parental permission) but I'm pretty sure you have to be 18 by the time you finish your initial entry training.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

MbS bringing some positive change to Yemen :smug:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Cucked by Erdogan :sad:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

lollontee posted:

Looks like I'm gonna have to re-workshop my plans for chemical cocktail bomber party. You don't really see multiple chemical weapons being used concurrently, do you?

Multiple chemical weapons can be used (and have been used that way in WWI), but they're going to be in separate containers.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

the jordanian ambassador thinks that saudi is on it's way to geopolitical disaster and doesnt know what the gently caress its doing.

Even if the leak is fake, this part is still accurate. :v:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Maybe tomorrow the new King will announce it was all no big deal.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Coup is the more interesting theory, but it could also be that the palace guards are kinda bad at shooting down drones and needed to spend a couple hundredthousand rounds.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

You can probably blame US intelligence for this one.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

https://mobile.twitter.com/joshledermanAP/status/988724018013528064

Just lmao at the idea of some redneck in Nebraska buying this thing for $13 at the local Wal-Mart.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Blut posted:

It was posted in the thread before. I was under the impression it was being given out free though - are they charging for it? Whatever about people picking it up for free and flicking through it I can't see many Americans randomly deciding to actually spend money on the thing.

The new part is that the Saudi embassy got an advance copy.

Also yes this thing costs money

quote:

And at $13.99 a copy and with no advertisements, the publication seems unlikely to be a money-maker.

The publisher claims they'll make a profit, but I think that's BS. It's likely that the Saudis paid for all of this as a PR campaign.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Office Pig posted:

Ahahah

ah ha hhhahaha hhahahahaha

AAAAAAA

Pretty impressive anime collection tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Frond posted:

The Syrian Opposition are a bunch of useless frauds. FRAUDS.

FRONDS.