Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Combat Pretzel posted:

I wish I could use Apple Pay, but practically all banks over here in Belgium insist on Bancontact, which is a decades old but perfectly working solution, that also supports nowadays NFC and works fine on Android. Except the iPhone, because Apple apparently doesn't allow third party app to fiddle with the NFC transceiver nilly-willy. :|

Same in Italy, thankfully one of the biggest system integrator for that market(Nexi, formerly CartaSI) does support apple/google/Samsung/Garmin pay natively and is migrating most of their customers from BancoMat to MasterCard (activating mobile payments during the switch off)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Just bought a watch 6th gen (gps only), Amazon suggest a Thursday date. Any special thing I should be made aware of? I plan to use it as a overglorified pebble, just notifications and calls management. The fitness part is a plus not the core feature for me, I am not that big on sports and training.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Apple Watch delivered and set up, I am a bit underwhelmed by the enroll procedure. It’s a lot more convoluted than every smart watch I used (android wear, garmin and pebble) and it was still incomplete(lot of stuff depending from running setups from the phone health app while first run wizard never mentioned anything). Also battery flat on delivery compared to the usual 30-something I’ve usually found on apple kit.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I have no idea what any piece of that post means.

That i had to tinker more than my android wear or pebble watch OOBE to wrangle a useful device, with every single heart sensor asking me to jump on the phone to open health to put my birth date and confirm it(even if it's info already present in the health personal folder), with the app picker pane being a weird mess and a lot of stuff requiring me to jump thru hoops(like apple pay not being prominent during the configuration wizard and requiring me to go find it in submenus) and a lot of stuff that i can expect on a rando chinese band and not a 400€+ device. I will try to make it useful, I just was expecting something more intuitive, connect to phone, wait for sync, pick the hand the watch is on and app picker mode, that's it.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 23, 2021

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
After updating to 14.5 I'm having issues with siri, it will works with first party commands (send a message to X) but not third party ones (send a message using telegram to X). Is that standard behaviour? The same commands works fine on iPhone or iPad.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dugong posted:

Are the newer watches better at stand detection? Hours not being counted annoys me more than I’d like to admit.

Mine does the opposite, I have about 5 hours daily where just moving the wrist on a keyboard or a steering wheel gets counted as standing. Also the hands washing detector seems to be more relying on the MEMS than the microphone on my mk.6, where moving the hands on the soap dispenser will spring it into action and the microphone indicator lighting up afterwards.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Red_Fred posted:

Anyone know why my FaceID unlock is not working when wearing a mask now? Was working fine two days ago.

After rebooting my phone and watch it worked to unlock the phone at first but wouldn’t open any other things and then stopped altogether.

I tried turning it on and off in the phone and watch as well. I’ve also yet to update the watch to 7.5 yet, not sure if it’s that.

I’ve had issues if one of the two items wasn’t in the same Wi-Fi network or failed to login to the same network. Check your network settings on both.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
First real inconvenience with the watch, just rushed to the train station and forgot the inductive charger. I will have to buy a new charger in situ since everyone else has only usb-c or lighting cables to offer.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Martytoof posted:

The fitness circle on my watch just shows a blank screen when I tap on it right now, seem to be doing this for a day or so, but not really coinciding with an update of any kind. Anyone else seeing this? The actual complication show progress as expected, but when I tap in for details it's blank and is missing the two additional swipe-through screens.

e: OK it seems fine after I restarted the watch. For some reason I never think to restart this thing. I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to manually shutdown/restart my Apple watches in all my years of owning them.

I think there is something deeply wrong with iOS 15.1 and its derivatives, I have been having lots of transient malfunctions after upgrading, be it safari having memory leaks on my iPad or my watch having random Siri activations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Martytoof posted:

More for ID as we start to develop wallet-based IDs, and just having PDFs of documents handy. I'm not sure how well a vaxpass QR code scans on a watch (but I actually could try this, given Ontario makes the app freely available)

It would be 100% fine for most of my daily walking/jogging/whatever, I just don't want to start training habits of leaving gadgets, which I plan to rely on, at home -- that's how I started leaving my wallet on my dresser drawer and only realizing I didn't have my physical DL (Ontario doesn't recognize e-DLs or photos of a license IIRC) until I'm 40 minutes down the road.

I think we're about get a ton of convergence on the digital ID front in north america though so I am optimistic :)

I used https://covidpass.marvinsextro.de to put my eu covid cert in wallet, for some weird reason the QR code is bigger on my series 6 watch than on my xr. It’s doable but you need to put the watch right in front of the scanner(which might lead to scratches over time if not careful)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

beuges posted:

I suspect I know the answer to this but I’ll ask anyway… can the Apple Watch charge on a normal QI charger, or only on the curved magnetic puck charger?

AFAIK it works only on the magical apple puck.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

some kinda jackal posted:

If I were Tim Apple I would seriously consider revoking that man's Apple certificate.

Since travel is a near possibility again, I'm once again thinking of upgrading my S5 so I can get more than a few hours of walking/activity, but also once again I'm struggling with Wifi vs LTE.

While I definitely appreciate the novelty of not having to take my phone jogging, realistically I am almost certain that, short of taking emergency calls while I'm out, there is very little that I need actual LTE on my watch for.

Comparing the price premium of adding a watch to my cell plan with Rogers in Canada, the value prop of not having the added "hassle" of doing the thing I already habitually do every day, which is slapping that cellphone in my pocket, is quickly diminishing in priority.

The only useful item i see is going out without the phone, streaming music/podcasts without preloading and filling the limited internal storage. Every other scenario i can think of will have the phone in tow, cause doing a Dick Tracy is weird IMHO.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

Lol they'll stop selling it the day they announce the next watches and the release date of watchOS 9 and not a day before.

This is the first time I can remember when they were still selling something that wouldn't be supported by the next release, but maybe there's some really early iPhone like that or something.

They should have discontinued when they launched the SE.

Apple stores sold a shitton of ipad docks with the 30pin connector until the week before the 4th gen release.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
My poverty spec(aluminium with white sport band) 44mm s6 hit pretty much everything and neither the screen nor the metal body is damaged. I think the steels have a different glass material which is more shatter resistant at the expense of scratch easiness.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Red_Fred posted:

Huh? Where do I find this? Was it in an update?

Public WatchOS 9 beta went live a few days ago.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

astr0man posted:

I've had a S7 for a few months now and it's been great, but today I apparently hit the hard cap on the amount of storage you can use for music. Why is the music limit even a thing :confused:

I think it's to avoid the limited local storage being saturated by music so it cannot do upgrades smoothly.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Al-Saqr posted:

According to the websites the low power mode will give you 36 hours on a single charge while still allowing you to use the features. so that is essentially double the battery life, which is cool so let’s see what gets compromised.

They explicitly told no auto activity recording so i'm expecting stuff beyond steps to not get recorded

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Vintersorg posted:

People already denting it? :lol:

The bulbous shape of watch s1-8 is designed to minimize hits/dents. This new watch shape looks like it's explicitly designed to get ruined with flat surfaces and protrusions.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/watchos-9-introduces-new-low-power-mode-on-apple-watch-series-4-and-later.2357181/post-31407075

Lower power mode disables:
- AOD
- Wifi (?)
- Background heart rate measurements
- Heart rate notifications
- Irregular rhythym notifications
- Blood oxygen measurements

So it will keep counting steps and hours being standing up, what else?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

101 posted:

watchOS 9 is out

The update won't show on the watch and trying to do it from the phone will request to upgrade iOS, just as general warning for the thread.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Watch battery health imploded after the update, jumped from 95% to 86%. I hope it doesn’t crap out too much

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Suspect mine will be the same, but also suspect that the 80-something percent I expect will be more aligned to reality than the reported "91%" ever was.

I purchased them on 2021\03\19 so i hoped they wouldn't get under 90% so soon. I hope i don't have catched Zetterberg's battery curse :ohdear:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Duckman2008 posted:

Dumb question: where do I see battery health of my watch?

Settings -> Battery directly on watch.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So just to be clear, low power mode only seems to turn off AOD and most of the idle heart monitoring, right? Activity/movement/step tracking is unaffected?

Auto Activity is disabled.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

I'm just trying to imagine inputting my password via the watch and I'm pretty sure I made the :stonk: face

E: Speaking of, I’ve tried to authenticate to gmail five times now to enable mail notifications on the watch via the iPhone watch config app. Outwardly seems to be successful, but every time it finishes the app shows “authentication required” or something (just put the phone away upstairs sorry). I guess I’m giving up for now since I don’t actually care about mail notifications on the watch, but seems weird.

If you have google advanced protection on, it will throw an atomic fit over pretty every application logon attempt but mail.app(iPhone/iPad).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

TraderStav posted:

Yes, strange. 83% from 78% here. Helping us out on resale?

Wasn't less than 83% the threshold for warranty battery replacement? Maybe Apple is gaming numbers to skip free battery swaps?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Taima posted:

Plenty of every every model of Ultra for pickup but the trail ones, which are completely out of stock.

It's almost like - hear me out here - it's loving stupid to stock a shitload of alpine and ocean bands in the bay area because everyone is on the trails.

I surfed religiously for almost 15 years and you would get mercilessly mocked at the VERY least for wearing an apple watch in the lineup. And even here there just aren't that many divers, it's a super niche activity even in areas where it's possible and good.

The trail band is also what you probably get if you don't need the watch at all (ie most people) so yeah. Can't find the most popular model anywhere, cool. Nailed it.

I've never understood apple choice of packaging for watch, provide the core watch and charger in the box and sell the watch bands separately so you can maximize efficiency in skus.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

This is what they do since at least the S7, and I think the S6 was when they started. If a store doesn't "have" a specific band SKU but have others, it means they don't have the band at all.

My S6 had the band in the package (two separate boxes in the main cardboard) so that wasn't the starting point.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Sep 25, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Combat Pretzel posted:

Band prices are ridiculous. The Ultra's trail loop is almost the same thing as the sport loop, except for an additional pull tab. The additional 50 bux are for titanium inserts.

Using a titanium insert in a steel or aluminium watch is going to eventually ruin the dovetails in the case, so i would suggest waiting for clones that use softer metals if you have conventional watches.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Violator posted:

Thanks Tim Apple. Walked around Disney today and everyone else I was with for 18k steps but I got 9k, probably because I was pushing a stroller and not swinging my arms while walking. I thought the iPhone would detect walking and align it with the Watch’s data to make up for this kind of situation but I guess not.

I have the opposite issue, where I get full three circles while being at a desk for eight hours and on a couch for another eight. I think it’s the worse fitness tracker data I have seen to the point I use a bt footpod for running/walking metrics.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What the. I have to go out of my way to get exercise and movement activity tracked. Do you have the wrong wrist orientation set? I alternate which wrist I have the watch every now and then and sometimes forget to update that and I get some funky things where I get standing credit while sitting and such.

Orientation is correct on settings (left wrist, crown on the right side). I am perplexed as you are, especially given how everybody raves about the watch being precise and all.

Edit: After a bit of sampling, waving my arms at work or just typing on a keyboard will count as red bar data, so the MEMS only work on relative(single axis arm movement) rather than absolute(three axis body movement)

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Oct 13, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

xzzy posted:

What is the move goal set to? It's totally acceptable to be credited with a few hundred move calories per day even if you're at a desk the whole time. There's no way you're sitting perfectly still the whole time and the watch records that.

The red ring is basically an "are you alive?" tracker. The number always goes up, and it goes up a lot faster when you're doing exercise.

Stock value from the first run wizard(460 kcal). Since i've found it so unreliable in registering activity, i never edited the objectives (like registering me running when in my car and the phone is in drive focus mode). I use the watch as a notification device so the MEMS being on the fritz is not worth investing time in asking for repairs.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
@innerlight my AW6 came with a sport band and i've never felt the need to replace it with a more formal one. Most apple stores should keep a demo selection of bands to have customer test which one is best for them.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

nwin posted:

I didn’t see anything in the OP, so is there a recommended charging station to support an iPhone an Apple Watch?

Belkin has a lot of options but it can get pricey.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

I think I lost three or so apps due to watchos9 changes, thankfully I don't use ms auth so it doesn't impact me.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Corb3t posted:

Does this really matter? I uninstalled the Apple Watch app and the iOS authneticator app still sends me a notification that lets me select "Yes" and authenticate without touching my phone.

Am I missing something?

Next month Apple Watch integration will be removed with an app update. Issue is due to auth with number confirmation, which is apparently not doable for ms devs. Standard iPhone usage is unchanged.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 27, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

RoboBoogie posted:

My wife got me a series 7 which is a huge upgrade from the series 2. She got me the cellular model and with T-Mobile it’s a $5 add on.

I saw an Esim plan from 3 HongKong for 35 bucks for a bucket of gigabytes to use in US UK and Canada. Can I use this plan on my watch or am I stuck with T-Mobile?

On Italian providers, the esim is strongly suggested to be reliant on the iphone one but i think you could use a third party one. I would suggest a quick chat with apple support before committing to contract.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

marktheando posted:

eh mostly, the mics on both my airpods pro 1 died on me so i can't use noise cancelling/transparency. apple said it would be £80 each to repair. and this macbook keyboard i'm typing on is dogshit

Did you attempt to require a replacement using the airpods pro 1 recall rather than a generic failure? In my store the staff didn't let me explain what was wrong after i told them "airpods pro".

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i already have a running watch

Do like every athlete do and wear one per wrist, unless you only have one(in which case condolences). Apple watch will quickly revert to standby/lock screen unless it detects a pulse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I considered this, but I wear a sweatband on the other wrist

The Apple Watch doesn’t work great for running/hiking, or I’d just use it. I know people have opinions about that. That’s fine

This is so silly. I just want to listen to music without my phone and the waist belt required to use it :(

I’ll probably end up buying some cheap Bluetooth mp3 player and ripping my playlist to it, idk

Which brand of running computer are you using? A sizable number of garmin have plenty of local storage to fit music on.

Also nothing stops you from putting your phone in your backpack and rely on voice commands with airpods.