Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Two (three?) quick questions:

- The Kickstarter is just for the standard game, right? If I buy the game, I'm not gonna miss a ton of Kickstarter-exclusive minis and extra content that won't be available normally? And do I assume correctly that if it's the only funding for reprints it might be very hard/expensive to get?

- What's this talk of sealed/spoilery content? Is it like the envelopes in Legacy games saying "Open if XYZ happens"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Ojetor posted:

Yes, this is a legacy game. There are sealed boxes and envelopes you open as you progress. Also, a bunch of stuff isn't technically sealed (like the item cards or the scenario book), but many people are trying to go in as blind as possible and not look too far ahead.
So basically Dungeon Crawler: Legacy, as in you're actually supposed destroy/write on components?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Just got my box. Holy poo poo is this thing heavy. Expect me to show up and start asking stupid questions once I read the rules.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Still haven't cracked my copy of Gloomhaven, but I have a question about the setting: Does Gloomhaven use a currency with a ‡-like symbol and if so, what is its name? It appears in Founders of Gloomhaven, isn't named anywhere (just a symbol), and it's pretty annoying.

ed: it's this symbol:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 21, 2018

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

KingKapalone posted:

No and this is a very weird question.
It's the same setting, so I figured it's worth a try.
And the situation itself is weird. I mean, who the hell would pronounce "$" (and how) instead of dollars etc.?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Tendales posted:

Asmodee Digital
:ughh:

I mean... On the on hand they have the experience and resources to pull this off. OTOH, Asmodeus :(

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
So I just started repacking my Gloomhaven into a custom insert...
That madman pulled a Risk Legacy, I love it.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions on rebinding the scenario book? Every session pages slip halfway out.
Glue a strip of paper to each page's spine side and give it a nice cloth-bound hardback treatment, like some old document being preserved?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I have my summon tokens going 1, 1, 3, 4 - are they supposed to not have a 2, or is that a misprint? If it's a misprint, can anyone having the same issue tell me if there are more errors on those sheets?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

Are they different front/back?
Not really. They have different colors on the back (the same set of 8 color, just on different tokens), but the same number. So you have 1, 1, 3, 4 in 8 colors each.

And since it's apparently "not a misprint" and no further mistakes on those sheets I'll just paint 2s on if I have an issue.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Jimbozig posted:

Even if it's your jam, you'll still want to know about the crucial typo.
What is the crucial typo? Assume I do not like spoilers of any kind, benign or not.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Poopy Palpy posted:

There is some text in the weird substitution cipher that you have a decoder for, the weird character for 8 was used instead of the weird character for 6. You cannot figure out from context that this is a typo, it will lead you to a conclusion that is wrong but for which you have no context for knowing that it is wrong.
Thanks.

Also tactical post to come back to if (when) I forget that.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
White Elephant indeed.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Quick noob questions:

1) A city event says to "lose 1 tick mark". It's not "1 each" so I assume one character has to lose it, right? We have 2 characters who have free tick marks (i.e. not already turned into perks), and two who don't. Can we assign this to a character with no free tick marks so they tank the card for no effect, or does it have to go onto a character who can actually suffer the loss?

2) Spellweaver's "Crackling Air" buffs 4 attacks: if I cast Impaling Eruptions targeting several enemies on its path, do I move one CA space for the whole thing and buff against all the IE targets, or do I move one CA space for each enemy IE targets?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Check the FAQ, you probably all have to close a check mark if you are able to.
Oh right, I missed that, thanks. The card's not mentioned by number (it was the pie-eating contest, #12), so I'll just go with the "if the word is missing, assume it's 'each'" guideline.

ed: and speaking of the FAQ, are revisions the same as printings? I have the "second printing", is that R2 or just another batch of R1 as far as the FAQ is concerned?

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jun 21, 2019

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

NRVNQSR posted:

Note that if Crackling Air said "attack abilities" or "attack actions" instead of just "attacks" then you would only count it up once for all of Impaling Eruptions, so you always need to pay close attention to how abilities like that are worded.

I noticed it, but I wasn't sure if it's considered several attacks (as per several separate modifier card flips), or just one attack with multiple targets. Thanks for the clarification.

CBN_Shaggy posted:

(or any multi-target ability)
I assume it works the same way for red hex-type area abilities, i.e. it's a separate attack for each enemy under the hexed area?

Next question:
Abilities with "Target X" icon have to be divided between different targets and if there are fewer targets in range than there are X, the excess attacks are wasted UNLESS a card specifically says otherwise, e.g. one of the Living Boners' cards can make them target one single enemy several times? Or am I reading that wrong too and it just means that all the boners have to focus on the same character[s] the first one did?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
What's this I hear about solo scenarios for specific classes? Is it some expansion, or are they hidden somewhere in the back of the scenario book to be unlocked later?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I'd like to thank whoever recommended googling "common gloomhaven mistakes", I'm reading the BGG thread and loudly exclaiming "YOU loving WHAT :doh:" every once in a while. It turns out that we mistakenly set the scenario with Jekserah's two Inox flunkies on hard mode :shepicide:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 23, 2019

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

every 100XP after 9th level
Why not just continue the trend of each level costing 5 XP more than the last?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

For the past couple months I have had unnaturally bad luck with my modifier deck. As in, at one point I had a 28 card deck, with only 3 negative cards left in it, and on my AOE attack against 3 targets I draw all 3 of them: null, curse, -2. Last night I whiffed my big loss attack against the boss, the week before I whiffed it against both the elites I was trying to kill. I'm not attacking all that often, making it all the more obvious that I am somehow drawing the null off the top multiple turns in a row. I've tried using the goggles, but I wind up rolling into null, or drawing null and -2. (I can't not take the rolling cards because I'm too high level.) I have positive cards in my deck that I've never drawn.

It started as a running joke, but now it's become a weird affliction. I think the game is forcing me into a support-only role.

Speaking of, I've stopped donating to the treehouse because I've never ever drawn a temple bless in this game. Blesses from events and other sources? No problem, they come out in the first major fight. Temple ones? Get shuffled somewhere in the back of the deck, always behind a null/2x card that reshuffles. :dawkins101:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

TheMopeSquad posted:

erm, have you unlocked the achievement for donating to the great oak ten times and opened the envelope?
Yes, and since I don't like starting characters at a higher level, all it did was convince me not to use the option again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Jabor posted:

Can you think of any single-use items that would get particularly degenerate if you could use them over and over again?
Stamina potions?