Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Sephyr posted:

Is there any way to calm down a rebellious vassal/colony once i reaches 100% liberty desire? I crossed the line due to having a new dynasty come to power (three heirs died on me, the Habsburg one literally one day after being born!), but since no on is supporting them due to everyne currently murdering each other over succession wars. Developing them or decreasing tariffs does nothing, and I can't declare war pre-emptively. Do I just sit here forever with a disloyal colony?

Under the subjects menu, what's causing their liberty desire to be so high? Do they have a stronger military than you, better diplo tech?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

esn2500 posted:

Just got slapped by Novgorod eyyy. I'm gon learn today.

Couple questions. I have 2 armies off the bat as Muscovy. Should I disband them to get the extra monthly income until I decide to go to war? When i clicked the disband button the description made it seemed like the units would be deleted forever. Is it smart to get an adviser right away? The good ones seem pretty expensive and would take a big chunk of monthly income as well.

Keep your standing armies unless you're over the force limit or really really poor but (usually) disband mercenaries if you're at peace. The smaller your armies the more inviting a target you are to your neighbors. You can probably floor your maintenance costs as long as your armies aren't at risk of getting jumped, fighting with no morale is really really bad.

If you can afford the 1-point advisors, you should hire them. A monarch point is easily worth 1 gold. If/when you become richer you can start to look at the 2 and 3 point advisors.

What do you mean slapped by Novgorod? They're usually a first target for Muscovy since they start much weaker

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Sephyr posted:

Huh. So after the patch killed my Castile run (no big loss, was almost done), and I failed hard at timurids, I decided to do a Poland run to fool around and try to contain the russian behemoth.

Couldn't you just roll back to a previous patch if you wanted to continue the Castile run?

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

skasion posted:

I haven’t been keeping track of the changes to it, is Aristocratic a decent pick now or are Defensive/Offensive/Quality still way better?

Take Aristocratic if you have a surplus of mil points and want to get some not-mil benefits from them. The yearly absolutism and extra diplomat aren't going to completely change the game but they're still helpful.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

Yep. The algorithm is designed to minimize the amount of direct fire cavalry takes, which usually translates into any more than four cavalry regiments being useless.

On that note, another plug for the almighty spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ITH6oNHsIlVHo2LJnR92wP5LEKiON0k2rZJ82YbYaB0/edit#gid=0

Unless you're like, a Tengri horde or something.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

oddium posted:

hello i forget. i know you can't declare war on the hre if you're in allied and in a war with the emperor, but you can declare a war if you're already fighting the emperor in a non-hre defense right. so attack ireland, they call in austria, declare on ragusa, whom austria would defend as part of the hre

I don't think you can declare a war against the HRE if you're already at war with the emperor, regardless of whether that war with the emperor is against the HRE. Probably to keep you from beating up on the emperor twice with only one real truce timer.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

SkySteak posted:

When it comes to countries like Austria, Hungary or France in terms of dealing with the awful alliances they make with Italian minor states, I would assume that it's best to wait for them to be embroiled in other silly wars or throw equally as big(gish) allies against them?

You might be best off trying to get someone to call in the minor state as an ally so you can force the minor to cancel the alliance without being able to call in their own friends. Or expand elsewhere if you have the option really, expanding in Italy is an AE-filled nightmare unless you're powerful to begin with.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

SkySteak posted:

Is absolutism something to even worry about if you don't have options to Strengthen Government and such? Like I understand that lowering autonomy or harsh treatment work but I was under that part of the core of absolutism gain was Strengthening the Government

You want to max it ASAP for core creation cost and other goodies. Reman did a good video on it: https://youtu.be/_Oi9DkyqoPA

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

double nine posted:

Is there a decent write-up out there that gives some pointers to deal with estates?

edit: when I say "deal with" I mean re: their demands for land

Give them your highest autonomy land, since adding an estate removes some autonomy effects. Everything else just depends on the bonuses that estate gives: give tax power to the clergy, etc.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

I think maybe conditional military access needs to be toned down a little bit?

Dulkadir and their ally the Golden Horde basically have free reign to march all over the Middle East. This is extra frustrating because it is literally impossible to actually fight the Golden Horde because they're too drat fast.

e: the GH has 7 military access agreements and 2 alliances. Their monarch has 0 diplomatic skill. jfc

I forget, does the AI have to pay diplo for military access?

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

oddium posted:

dithmarschen rules. top 3 starts for me. top 5 maybe actually. but they're cool

What's the rest of your top 5?

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

I Love You! posted:

This is not how AE works, you only get more AE if you didn't declare a co-beligerent

Religious War has a 75% AE modifier

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

Okay thread I have a question. It's 1600 or so and I'm the Protestant Prussian Emperor and I'm wondering. Should I dismantle the HRE and form Germany or should a roll with it and reform the HRE. The first hundred years were pretty touch and go, but after Austria sent a eighty thousand men to die in russia while I sieged out all of Germany in the Religious wars, I've become the strongest power in the game by far and I honestly don't have a real goal anymore than to keep bullying Austria and to add more land to the HRE.

Staying Emperor and revoking the privilegia is probably your strongest move because of the vassal swarm + Prussian Monarchy, but what sounds more fun to you?

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Groke posted:

Did they change it back so that you can transfer occupation back from a vassal to yourself again?

I haven't tried it yet but I heard they fixed it in either 1.24 or 1.24.1

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Flavius Belisarius posted:

Looking to get closer to having a complete game now that this is all on sale.

I still don't have El Dorado, Mare Nostrum, Mandate of Heaven, Rights of Man, and Cradle of Civilization. Am I missing anything important?

e: clarity

El Dorado is cool if you're playing a colonial power or in the New World, though I hear the latter still isn't great. Also adds the custom nation designer.

Mare Nostrum has some quality of life stuff for naval gameplay and adds some espionage actions. Not critical but it's relatively cheap.

Unless some other DLC unlocks some of these features Rights of Man has a bunch of useful stuff: https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Rights_of_Man. Great Power mechanics, leader/ruler traits, and consort regencies are all pretty significant.

Just picked up Mandate myself so I can't comment on that one, and no idea yet on Cradle.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

pog boyfriend posted:

there is an exploit built into the game actually where if you take diplomatic ideas you can get an extra diplomat that you can keep free for these things, better get on that now before paradox patches it out though

You get one from top-tier idea groups Aristocratic and Espionage too. Take all three for optimal diplomat idling

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

skasion posted:

Trip report on this guide since Austria’s starting position got a big nerf (smaller army and much less manpower) since it first came out: it is still doable but the first couple wars will be very high stress compared to how the guide presents it. The first war with Bohemia was a skin of the teeth thing and I spent basically the entire time before it building up my military as fast as possible.

I'm not totally sure preventing Shadow Kingdom is worth it either. If you let them secede you can take all those super-wealthy Italian provinces without the HRE AE penalty and dominate the Venice and Genoa nodes.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

doingitwrong posted:

The trading city is the main target (it's the imperial conquest of Dalmatia) and they are definitely still in my league. I had a save from before the attack—loaded it up and found that they were in the league and couldn't be kicked out (as expected). Meanwhile, another trading city I'd created *could* be kicked out mysteriously and shortly before all this went down one I'd created in Asia became a tributary to Ming and left the league.

loving Austria is becoming more and more trouble to have as an ally. After biting the bullet and following them into the war against my own trading partner, they called me into a war against the weakened Ottomans (yay!). We won handily (yay!) and then they handed pretty much all of Greece to my until then loyal March, Corfu (what?). So then *I* got an extensive AE hit while Corfu suddenly became too big to have efficiently as a March (I can't find a way to manage this) and suddenly has 100% liberty desire.

Is there a way to gracefully allow Corfu its freedom? As far as I can tell all the options for releasing them result in a huge relationship hit. But you *want* to get going, jerks.

Is there nothing you can do to drop their liberty desire? Pay off debts, support loyalists, develop their provinces?

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

oddium posted:

the aggressive expander has logged on

Wanna see that map

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Finnish Flasher posted:

How do I prevent shadow kingdom as Austria? I have the provinces from Venice, and am at the point I can fully annex the pope. Should I do that?

Everyone else covered this, but something else to keep in mind is if the Papal State has non-Italy provinces (like Avignon) and you don't take those, they'll just relocate their capital there so you might get the HRE province owned by a non-HRE member penalty from Rome. Just means one more war against an even weaker Papal State to take their remaining non-HRE provinces, but still worth mentioning.

IMO keep the provinces you seize in at least the Venice trade node, Italy is really dense with princes but also has some of the wealthiest provinces in the game so long-term you are probably better off expanding outside the HRE and releasing new princes there.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

skasion posted:

Yeah it’s good to knock out some OPMs in Italy if you can, but if you got the right PUs, took care of Burgundy and are generally able to keep at least 50 princes in the empire (this will take a lot of demanding territory return and a lot of fighting against weak rear end German minors) it definitely isn’t a handicap to take and keep the Adriatic coast of Italy for yourself. Speaking from 1550 with HRE internal wars now disabled, and Castile safely unioned, this is a really strong strategy.

Sounds like we're in the same place, I lucked into an early Castile PU and that combined with a Commonwealth alliance let me take on the Ottomans. On the fence whether to even continue my Austria game since I've already won :shrug:

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Finnish Flasher posted:

Thanks for more tips guys! Yeah I already luckboxed burgundy, bohemia and hungary into pu's by 1480 and am now fighting over brandenburg with poland.

I just got a female heir, my dynasty will still keep on being hapsburg when she has kids though, right?

Yeah this isn't CK2, you don't need to worry about matrilineal marriages - if you have an heir it will be of your dynasty barring some events, like the one putting a Habsburg on the Spanish throne

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

double nine posted:

so err. Asking for a friend... how brutal is over-extension these days? Now I'm not saying I got carried away, but my country is currently sitting on 105% over-extension. I can release a vassal to take me juuuust below the threshold, but I'd rather not do that because a bunch of cores will also go with it if I do so. Alternatively in 10 months a couple of cores will complete that should take me to below 100%.

Can I ride it out or will it be blood and tears and real agony if I try?

105 isn't that bad, 150 is a much harsher break point.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Finnish Flasher posted:

I could release 4 or 5 french opm vassals into princes, is that a good idea for imperial authority gain or should I just keep them myself?

Depends how you're doing on state cap and whether you plan to finish the HRE reforms or stop at revoking the privilegia.

France has some of the highest-dev states in the game (see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11Xqmj9WKI9x5dWOLdVRd6inPxTCQjHWAmVONAJtpXaw/edit#gid=1060341681 it's from 2016, but gives you an idea) so it may be worth keeping those as long as you have the state slots for them. You'll get less imperial authority but overall have a stronger position.

If you're going to finish the reforms anyway go ahead and give them away, Austria is really hard up for state slots since it's stuck at Duchy-tier (unless you lose an election and are made an elector) so you might not be able to state them anyway until you have higher Admin tech. A vassal that can fully state a province is pretty much always worth more to you than a territory.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

double nine posted:

what are people's opinions and tips on using mercs during the early game. I'm running into manpower problems so they'd be useful but I'm also a poor nation making their expense somewhat problematic.

Where are you playing? If you're a weak nation looking to expand you probably don't have much alternative but to use mercenaries. It really depends what you're trying to accomplish though, ideal play is to let your allies tank all the manpower losses but letting mercenaries tank your manpower losses is the next best thing.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

spectralent posted:

Can someone summarise to me what the most important combat stats are? I'm aware morale is a great one, and that discipline stacks well with it, but what about stuff like "+ leader shock" and "+10% __ combat ability"?

They all matter haha. Discipline is probably the most important because it modifies both damage dealt and received. Morale ticks away from morale damage and just from the length of the battle and once it's gone you're usually hosed.

Honestly just know that some nations tend to have really strong armies (Prussia, France, Poland, Sweden) and others tend to bury you with numbers (Russia, Ming).

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

reignonyourparade posted:

God drat it, focus trees barely work for extremely-limited-ability-to-go-off-the-rails HOI4, legitimately think just taking out missions entirely would be a better "fix" than this.

I don't agree with that at all. I'm sure there are going to be kinks to work out with the initial revamp but they're claiming extensibility for modders and it's going to fix a lot with the AI's terrible use of missions and, like they said in the dev diary, help newer players figure things out.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Jack2142 posted:

Okay, decided to play as Brandeburg... because I want Prussian Ubermenschen troops and didnt really enjoy the colonization crap... However I got elected Emperor somehow around 1470 or so, the duke of Burgundy died and I got a popup to inherit?

Naturally I took it and somehow all the dutch minor Vassals became my territory and I now control it directly... What happened? I have only ever seen Spain get everything is this normal, or did I get lucky. Its cool, but amusing since I did a Burgundy grand campaign already.

If so :getin: for Super Prussia circa 1500

That's the Burgundian Succession. Look it up on a wiki, it's a little arcane but the emperor can inherit and so can other HRE members.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

James Garfield posted:

How often does the AI leave alliances? I'm trying to form Italy as Savoy and two province Ferrara has allied France. I would declare war on another ally and make them annul treaties, but their other allies are Austria and Bohemia.

It depends really, on the land that each nation wants, their trust with each other, etc. The most common thing that causes an alliance to break is refusal to join a defensive war, so you could declare on Ferrara when France is exhausted.

Alternatively, you could just skip over their territory (go after someone with whom you share a sea tile instead) and come back for it later. Option 2 is probably better for Savoy since your expansion is blocked by France and two different coalition hells (HRE and Italy).

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Michael Bayleaf posted:

It's 30 years after the reformation started, and no centers have shown up and nobody has converted. Did they change the way centers of reformation show up or is my game bugged? This is my first game in like, a year

Yeah something like that happened in my HRE game, the Reformation started with a single province in Bavaria that wasn't a Center of Reformation so it fizzled pretty much immediately.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Node posted:

Yeah, I know admin efficiency and Imperialism/Nationalism CBs let you grab more land, I don't think it's enough to get me 400 provinces in 100 years though.

Get Diplomatic ideas if you can for reduced province war score costs. Also I really doubt AE means anything to you if you have a plausible shot at a WC so truce break if it's coming down to the wire.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
quote is not edit

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

RabidWeasel posted:

Yeah diplo is actually the better idea group I just tend to have at least one huge vassal fairly early in my games and saving on the integration cost is a godsend, plus the inf + admin policy.

I think Influence might be pretty strictly stronger in the long run. If you're not feeding vassals you probably aren't expanding optimally since you can make the vassals pay the high early-game coring costs and annex them when it's cheap. The unjustified demands finisher saves a ton of diplo over the course of the game too unless you have a great CB like the Tribal ones or Deus Vult.

Take both imo if you're gonna blob, just think Influence is the stronger of the two to pick first unless you need to no-CB a bunch

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

Though unless it’s changed they can ally with them once you declare peace and roll on in.

So keep both Wars going until you can end both.

The AI won't join a defensive war if the side it would join has lower than -25% war score, so you can just end the "distract France" war as soon as you have enough padding that you won't fall below that.

I know there's a time limit for offensive calls, but I'm not sure if there is one for defensive.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

Coal and latent resources have got me thinking that it would be cool if you could spend money or monarch points to change a province's trade good. Obviously there would be restrictions, like you wouldn't be able to produce ivory in Germany, but you could change a grain province to a wine one for example. Or maybe there could be events that force you to change the trade good, like mines being depleted or animals being over-hunted.

It would also be a good way to simulate tulip mania.

They added a little of that in I think the newest expansion/patch, with the option to change the good in the Printing Press spawning province to paper and a few other related decision. Definitely a cool feature, and one that can be done without more points and meters.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Anyone else run into an event where you get a 100-tradition general in the 1400s at the expense of 25 prestige and legitimacy? I got that in my Brandenburg game so it's pretty safe to say that it's over

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

JerikTelorian posted:

EU has a DLC sale today for midweek. The OP guide is missing the most recent ones. How do people feel about Mandate of Heaven, Cradle of Civilization, and RB? For the most part I like to play European powers (though Japan looks like it could be neat) so CoC doesn't seem super up my alley, but who knows?

Pick up Mandate. They've toned down Ming's tributary nonsense a bit, and the age abilities and state edicts are good mechanics. Also it gives you the diplomatic macro builder, which is a godsend.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Rynoto posted:

The sad part is this makes it look even worse than if you hadn't put any effort in.

Software has bugs dude, don't be a dick.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Moon Slayer posted:

EDIT: As long as I'm here, can someone explain - in very, very simple language - how to do trade and development good?

Just watch this for trade, and check out the rest of Reman's videos too to learn more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edjLVFMjPyo

For development, you're better off acquiring more land than you are developing the land you already have except in two specific cases: when you are about to lose points to the cap or when you're trying to embrace an institution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Beefeater1980 posted:

Any thoughts on how not to get your poo poo kicked in as England in the HYW? I’ve tried subduing Brittany first then Scotland - should I be returning Maine instead and biding my time until I can tag team with Allies? France just seems to get stronger and stronger as time goes on. Could you conceivably hit miltech 4 ahead of them?

Do you have the Cossacks DLC? You can get a pretty significant early-game advantage by recruiting a noble general and pumping noble influence up to 75+ before demanding military points from them. Barring historical generals and/or terrible luck you should have a better general than any of your opponents and you should beat them to tech 4 also, especially if you focus military points.