Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Fun fact for season 8: according to Meddler, Sona and... Yorick ?? are the top performing champs on the patch. Finally Yorick's time to shine...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Mikujin posted:

Yorick's Q affecting structures likely has something to do with any performance metric increase. I think it's already slated for reversion.

Yeah, I think they called out that change in particular as a problem. Makes sense that a buff combo'd with new runes would lead to some poo poo.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Screenshot.jpg of first time Taric since the rework:

*enhance*

He turned off his stream afterwards:

Truly flex Q is a wild ride. The classic Gold 4 to Challenger game~ (Also, turns out Taric into only AD is pretty good).

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Teikanmi posted:

no one is going to play that poo poo

edit well teams will just ban everyone's best champion and then no one will wanna play some random poo poo that they don't know how to play at all and it'll be a weeklong shitshow before becoming another empty queue

I mean you might be right, for sure, but there's only five bans and lots of players have at least two things they can play.

In my (relatively limited) experience with tourneys teams usually do ban around a strat or OPs to some extent rather than just strictly banning one champ from each player. Tbh I don't think just banning each player's best champ would even be the best banning strategy, it's probably better to pick a mix of champs the other team is good at that make sense as a coherent banning strategy.

Idk, this has been the way all other community tourneys have gone and they're still fun af, this one could definitely still have potential! If anything I think it'll be the length of the commitment regardless of bam info that'll be an issue.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

That poo poo makes it bab’s first moba

Tbh I think characters like Vikings are harder mechanically than any champs in League and figuring out how to play all the maps is definitely harder than just learning one; imo the problem with HotS is the team wide snowballing thanks to shared xp imo.

I want a proper pet champ...

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Mierenneuker posted:

(Samuro can create two weak clones of himself, with Illusion Master he gains full control of them).

That's so cool. Basically all I play DotA 2 for at this point is Meepo / Chen, always interested in more micro intensive characters! I think it's a holdover from SC 2. And yeah, you're probably right about the playstyle being easier.

I just want more things like Shaco where there's lots of weird micro tricks to think about all the time.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Bard is really good right now as well! He's also still great when people are dumb and dive you:

http://plays.tv/video/5a6fe8d2ab47736001/im-god

(listen on mute though it picked up my loud rear end fans thru mic)

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

CubeTheory posted:

I just discovered you can place in a higher division then you finished in the previous season, so that's weird.

It's based on mmr, so you don't even have to do well. I went 4-6 and placed up a division, especially if you don't have that many games just about anything can happen with placements.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Nightgull posted:

Are the subreddits devoted to mains of that hero reliable at all.

/r/bardmains and /r/zyramains are both pretty solid. The former is mostly just general excitement about Bard, but they host ama's with Masters/Challenger Bard mains from various servers semi-regularly, and those are quite helpful. Mostly they're good for finding specific very good players/savants at the champion to follow (i.e., prof. Melyn (sic?) from zyramains is a high diamond Zyra player who does absurdly in-depth breakdowns of rune-setups etc. for Zyra). I'd say that's more of the value of the subreddits rather than the advice in general.

I still subscribe to /r/rengarmains mostly to rubberneck, poo poo's real sad there. It's just a lot of links to dev posts about rengar and whining.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

I just got an S+ off of a 19 minute, 1-1-8, 131 CS Tristana game. I think maybe my upgraded relic shield made it count me as a support? Or all Tristanas are bad...

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Taciturn Tactician posted:

wasn't getting CDR capped as a matter of course and not having to build for it specifically something that riot remade items to get away from...?

In the update they actually listed the above as a reason for moving around cdr like they did.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Does anyone have :words: on playing Jax jungle? I've been doing decently with him - I can usually get fed/farmed early, but I'm often not sure exactly how to build him later.

I've been going bloodrazor -> trinity plus tabi or merc, then Randuin into some combination of Titanic/Steraks/GA.

The first two items feel good, but after that it becomes kind of a shitshow. I'm starting to think that maybe Steraks 4th into GA is a better general build against mixed damage, but I'm not really sure. How do y'all balance resists/health/damage for your 3rd-6th item buys on Jax?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

acumen posted:

Should I be trying to bail them out of these even if they're obviously lost causes?

I think if you can reliably get to a point where you can 1v2 splitpushing and keep pressure on, and know to just back up and sit in a bush to avoid gankers, then you're probably just fine ignoring your team.

However, people talk a lot about how lower elo players take fights they shouldn't, even though they're doomed/bad/etc. I think that gets hammered in pretty intensely, but the converse of that is that a lot of lower elo players don't take commit to fights that they really, really should because they get in the mindset that they're 'behind and need to farm it out' or what have you. Although it is true that a lot of low elo fights are bad, the other team is going to play the teamfight, even if it's advantageous for them, just as poorly, and a significant portion of the time will overchase/put someone in a position to get burst when they shouldn't. The mindset of 'oh, my teammates are taking a bad fight' can become a self-fulfilling prophecy - you see the engage, don't go, your teammates die, and you conclude that it was a bad fight, when in reality if you had committed to it as well it very well may have been a good one.

I realize this isn't necessarily providing a more clear rule to follow, but I think it's a really important thing to think about. I've played a few smurfs supporting through silver/gold and I'll take engages or all-ins that would work in plat+ because everyone else commits as well, but no one follows and then concludes that it's a 'lost cause'. They're definitely are some fights that are lost causes, and it's good to know when you can get more done just staying to split push, but I would look back at some of the teamfights your team loses and see if there might have been opportunities for you to pick people off, or take advantage of the chaos.

Part of the problem, of course, is that it's sort of a blind leading the blind scenario - if you don't know when to fight, and your teammates don't either, then it's really hard to correct this sort of thing. I think it's also a problem that persists from elo to elo -- whereas for me, silver players miss a ton of kill opportunities in lane, I'm sure a diamond+ player would see just as many missed opportunities in my play. Sorry that there's no real solution here (a replay review would probably help) but it's worth being aware of.

e: Also, on a different note, as a top laner you can make a lot of pro-active plays aside from splitpushing:
1. invade the enemy jungle
2. roam down mid and try and gank after shoving in your lane
3. look for 2v2s that you can turn into 3v2s in the bot lane, or ganks you can turn
and so on.

I haven't played in Bronze for a while, but games in gold/plat are definitely enough of a shitshow to have a bunch of opportunities like that

foutre fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 10, 2018

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Servaetes posted:

Ladies and Gentlemen: A Play in Eight Acts, I give you:

The knowledge of his impending death is just palpable in the one where he plants the e under tower and then just frantically clicks around it. A+ imo

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

He got a pretty good buff in 8.1 and has been a pretty solid mid-laner at whatever elo since then, he does even more late game damage now.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

The Dregs posted:

I can't put support, because I'll get it, guaranteed. Zyra isn't good top or jg, is she?

Fwiw I put jungle /support for the last ~20 games and only got support once. Might help to play during peak hours.

Jungle Zyra isn't as good as she used to be, but she's playable in the jungle still imo. Maybe not in ranked though, too be fair.

I'd try mages like morg/velkoz and brand. I think playing Zyra is pretty transferable to a lot of long range mages like that.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Hey Siri, remind me to post on the forums if I ever go 1 and 6 in lane against an assassin, or in 40 minutes, whichever is faster

Yeah, I think the best thing to do if you're frustrated playing against assassins is to just play some games as them to gain an appreciation for their weaknesses etc. Keeby is definitely right that they're 1) super satisfying to shut down and 2) actually pretty finicky to play; knowing when to engage /what cc to play around /when you can all-in can be very difficult and learning to play them also lets you learn to play against them.

I used to get real frustrated by zed or Kat or whatever, but after playing as them for a while I got a very good intro into their weaknesses.

I think that approach really works well for any champ you have trouble against. Best case scenario, you play the champ, there's no counter play, and you just roll on up the ladder with them.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Amish Ninja posted:

I'm trying to figure out how to pull myself out of Silver.

Post a replay and I'll take a look!

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Amish Ninja posted:

For those asking me to post a replay for feedback: https://my.mixtape.moe/bmadsx.rofl

This was a game where we had a decent early lead and then teamfights went to crap later on. I suspect part of it was me not doing the right things in those teamfights to deal with tristana, or peel or what have you. I found it difficult to deal with their front line and also deal with their high damage threats. Anyway - feel free to tear it apart. Thanks again!

Getting a bug splat when I try and watch it at the moment, will see if I can get something to work.

e: Oof, now I'm getting a 'corrupted' message. I forgot what a mess replays are. Will post comments if I get it working.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

curiousCat posted:

The thing is that Morellonomicon also used to only apply when whoever was hit was t 40% of HP, and now it applies all the time.

What full build are you going on Lux atm?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

pog boyfriend posted:

E: and also, for that matter, turning twisted advance into a really fast direction target ability with the same range removes the ability to use fog of war and the brush to dodge twisted advance, making the ability slightly stronger.

On top of that you could go untargetable whenever without risking going in melee with an enemy, that'd be both derivative and a significant buff.

Definitely agree it's a great example of a point and click with counterplay /interesting decisions.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Teikanmi posted:

If you wanna skip, you really need to get as close to 99LP as possible and then win 3 games in a row.

This definitely might be true, but I've skipped divisions through gold the last 3 seasons with a similar win rate and didn't bother with getting close to 99 lp. It probably can't hurt though, guess I'll try it. I think generally if your mmr on op.gg is at least 2-3 divisions higher than your current one you'll be ok (i.e., plat 4 mmr lets you skip Gold 2, and so on and so forth). It's definitely a lot harder if you're climbing because you're getting better versus climbing because you're placed a bit low.

Definitely seconding though that a big losing streak can really gently caress up your mmr for a while.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Is there any support 101 soloreneckton style streamers for support?

Lohpally has very short laning phase guides that are pretty good, but I think MeNoHaxor has the best full game reviews (and he's playing in challenger versus people of a similar skill rather than smurfing so they tend to be less one sided than SRO).

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Sexpansion posted:

jungle is the hardest and it's not close

I think this is pretty much 100% true. Jungle's probably my 2nd or 3rd most played role after support and I feel like there's so much poo poo to do wrong versus Marksman or whatever.

I also think of Top as maybe the most knowledge-dependent; i.e., you get punished for messing up lane control, not knowing your matchup/all-in timings, and not having good awareness of jungle pathing way more than other roles. If you mess up, you're stuck on an island with someone who's just beating the poo poo out of you with a long lane to deal with and no support to save you.

Probably part of this is that I just haven't played the role as much as the others, but I definitely feel like it's a lot easier to jump onto whatever marksman/support/mid and be at least decent than it is to try and figure out what the hell's going on top.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Vermain posted:

utilize tools like Smite and Demat to take care of Banner minions.

It's also really interesting to see how minion demat has found its place as a rune. It really has worked well as a specific pick to hit x wave clear breakpoint, and a stronger banner makes it even more interesting. Seemed kind of generally useless at first, but it really is a great example of a rune good in v specific (mb too specific, sometimes) circumstances.

I guess the second level would be if it was a flex pick for ppl who use it for wave clear, which mb it already is?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

One thing I've always liked about cannons, especially bot lane, is how contested they are. A cannon coming is almost always a pretty clear sign that your enemies are going to go for it, and a lot of interesting skirmishing/positioning is generated from those little interactions. I think putting more gold onto them, and promoting those kind of dynamics more is definitely a good thing. Those kind of fights are just such a good example of how last-hits can actually work really well to encourage interesting conflict in lane.

Definitely agree on the need for tuning for champs like Lux. I'm sure there will be some matchups that get kind of hosed for a while as well.

Also, low (all) elo Thresh players are going to be even worse with relic shield, rip.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

this weekend i will be at a concert. ive been waiting for clash for a while and now gonna miss it, lol

Same, rip :( hope they run another soon~

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Ya, not Atlanta.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Sexpansion posted:

yeah she's hanging out with fiddles and ivern and Elise in the im sad why doesnt anyone pick me corner

I've been playing jungle/support Fiddle, he's actually good right now (and rocking a 52%+ winrate in both roles). You still can get punished by invades but he feels good to play for sure. I guess that group is less about champion strength to be fair, but people should play more Fiddle!

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

kingcobweb posted:

Despite our team going 1-1 yesterday in games that weren't remotely close, Clash seems really fun. The process of scouting, drafting, and planning a real teamcomp is cool and so different from normal solo queue.

Did the level of play seem pretty balanced in your tier? It seems like tier 1 is v high level, but tier 2 apparently extends all the way to plat 5 which seems like it could be a p large range. I've really gotta play the next time this comes up, drat.

Definitely agree on organized play being more fun, some of my favorite league games were playing in the collegiate league and getting to get the occasional upset vs masters / high diamond teams thanks to lucky drafting and working real hard on team play. V glad they're finally bringing tourneys in client.

foutre fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 14, 2018

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Pro Zyra tips
1) make enemies engage into you (by which I mean, wait till they walk at you)
2) spend some time during the fight doing other stuff, like hitting vision plants, after you've dropped your first rotation to bm your opponents
e: 3) get flanked by a tank, don't notice, get saved by your team: a skilled and correct line of play

I really want to record the number of accidental 'whoops I guess that plant 100-0'd someone' versus on purpose 'I cast spells at this man to make him die' kills I get as Zyra.

https://plays.tv/s/LhQ251OMRgdH

Also the obligatory 'I dealt the most damage so I'm the best player' screenshot (nevermind that I was mostly damaging tanks with liandries):

I hope the mana changes encourage more manaless mids so I can get more blue buffs for Zyra, the Real Carry.

The Shortest Path posted:

It goes back up to 3% when it upgrades to Seraph's, so it's only a temporary setback.

Still these mana changes are gonna be rear end, especially for weird off-build mids like Malphite or Gragas or whoever that aren't getting any buffs to compensate for the loss in Doran's Ring.

Does it help at all that their mana growth is staying the same, or does loving their early mana options matter way more?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Siets posted:

It is mentally and physically exhausting to do that.

Why I stopped playing SC2, even though it's ~the greatest~ competitive game.

One thing I do really wish league had from SC is the really specific training maps - like, the marine splitting micro maps or what have you. The training tool's great, but having something where you could i.e. drill dodging skillshots or flashing tough walls or whatever would be handy. Probably never going to happen, but I can dream...

kingcobweb posted:

Buffs to Morgana, Brand, and Zyra will affect them more in botlane than in mid. (Who plays Zyra mid)

I'm seeing a list of three viable and good junglers that are getting buffed, tbh.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

I also generally feel better about it if we have someone who can sit and stop their approach - i.e., when I'm playing Zyra or Morg support, spamming cc + ulting as they come in can generally give enough time for everyone to just finish it the normal way, or if we have a fed toplaner who can gently caress them up some on their approach - i.e., Fiora or Vlad.

I think coordinating a partial turn in a solo queue game is really difficult if it's more than one person, and generally there are a lot of responses that are 'correct' but contingent on what everyone else decides to do, which is kind of asking for trouble. I think the general instinct that it's way riskier than it should be in solo q is right, and that you kind of have to commit all-or-nothing. I think in general if your whole team just goes to baron ASAP without loving around they can be pretty safe, but that happens so rarely. A lot of the time the time I feel like those calls end up getting you another kill or two, but no baron, which is OK but not great.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

e: jk, game died and with it my powerful morgana performance. RIP 25 lp.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Tbh ap kaisa w is the new nidalee spear spam.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

I mean, you're definitely right, it's not really spam or actually good, but I learned from my last ranked game that the one or two times they do hit will break the enemy's mental.

The enemy xerath was screamin exploit~

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Bleck posted:

Honestly, what are you even supposed to do against support Fiddle

Go the long way into land so you don't get e'd off creeps level 1, either push and all-in early or push some and wait for a gank to kill his fragile scarecrow self, play a bit off the minions on different sides. Don't take short trades together. Get ward coverage mid late when you're pushing to deny his ultimate.

He's definitely strong at the moment, but counterable - only issue is playing against him is a bit different than similar supports thanks to his e/ult.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Elephunk posted:

What's the "fun" Bard build options?

I know you're really supposed to go Locket, Redemption and fall asleep while playing

When I get some kills I go Nashor's -> LichBane with Sorc boots and that's cool

There's some build on champ.gg that is like, a Shurelya's and a RFC? What does an RFC do for Bard? I've built it a couple times but was never impressed.

This is all electrocute Bard btw

RFC lets him proc meets from really far away for catches, which makes his q very easy to hit afterwards, and lets him engage at a longer range. It also ofc synergizes well with an auto-attack heavy build where you want to get off all of your meep autos as quickly as you can. If you want to go dps bard, I would generally go like Nashors/Liandries/RFC/Iceborn -- I think lichbane is almost never the best item to get on damage Bard, it's a lot better to get a bit more cc so you can stick on people/survive, doing enough dps isn't really his problem (and his AP items generally aren't just stacking AP, they're going for other effects, so lichbane passive isn't that great in practice).

And yeah, shurelya's is good too for the picks - that's why, I'd imagine, it's paired with RFC.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

pog boyfriend posted:

because it is only gold efficient after warming up a fight with 3 seconds. if you want to make the item gold efficient, you have to play suboptimally. if you play optimally, the item use is suboptimal, compared to other items. it is a catch 22, and the item sucks.

I mean, you're definitely not wrong, but something like Fiora ult seems like an all-in style that would work well with this - you start to build it on your first auto q and then it procs while you're ulting.

Of course, it's might still not be a great choice for her numbers wise anyway, but there are at least some patterns that work well with it - if your abilities come up quickly and you take extended fights. I also imagine it wouldn't really be something you'd use during laning phase, which could mitigate it a bit.

But, even with that ideal situation still doesn't seem that great so vOv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Went back to figure out how I got a double kill, and uhhh... (look at Warwick...)

https://plays.tv/s/Lk3INFSw9Ajy