Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

wicka posted:

iospace, ban everyone who is trolling me rn when Alonso wins the title.

I would troll you over this, but Red Bull are going full "Vettel and Webber" with "Max and Dan" so I'm 100% on the McLaren train for next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Powershift posted:

"Train" denotes swift, unstoppable forward movement.

On the McLaren zepplin, or pushing the McLaren Yugo would be more apt.

Ferrari and McLaren have bandwagon trains, that come through each station at like a million miles an hour and still manage to pick up passengers through some dark magic.
Then by around Monaco the train is either well and truly off the tracks or at dangerously high speeds for when they inevitably come off the track before Brazil.

Make sense?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

wicka posted:

I can’t even imagine how that sounds, lmao. R’nault? Like a Star Trek villain?

Rinoe

Americans have magical new ways of saying a bunch of car manufacturers. With some, like Hyundai, they're probably more correct. With a bunch of other ones, they're probably not.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

CratSock posted:

yeah, I have more respect for Danica, because she is legit out there racing with the good old boys, and as much as she's not likely a top contender, she (as far as I can remember) has put in some good drives. She's the most well known female driver, and has been at it a long time, so she's more than a one shot publicity stunt. There are certainly male drivers with seats who are worse than her. Jorda is smoking hot and slow as poo poo. Moulton is still the alpha lady-driver that all little girl racers should aspire to, kicking rear end and taking names in her day.

If there's going to be a female driver in F1 it'll be someone like Jamie Chadwick or Sophia Floersch.
Jorda is and was garbage (was she the one whose fellow test driver came out and said "she was like 10 seconds behind me"?), Simona is really not doing all that good in V8 and Danica appears to be on her way out.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Simona was very impressive in the last Supercars race and has been driving one of the shittiest, oldest chassis on the grid.

To be clear, she's not doing like super shittily. But she's one of the highest paid drivers on the grid and she doesn't always look it.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Dudley posted:

Sophia seems to have got a little stuck in F4 and Jamie, despite being a British GT champion just doesn't seem to have the cash to go much further sadly.

Still, we're seeing more and more good women, sooner or later one will be sensational.

Sophia got on the podium twice in ADAC towards the back end of this season, after that bizarro Oberschleben incident. She's also 16* (she turns 17 on the first according to wiki), so if she bombs next year then it's time to start talking about "stuck in F4".
Jamie's in F3 and managed a respectable mid-table but I don't know anything about her backing. At the very least she's got a strong career chance in GT racing. She's got some publicity behind her this year so who knows.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Frogboy has oodles of Dutch support so he wins these fan things almost by default.
The Netherlands is a garbage country and Dutch is a garbage language but the people seem to be very proud of both.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Theophany posted:

I'm watching a documentary called 'The Return' about how Ford skullfucked Ferrari at Le Mans in a 1-2-3 victory and their subsequent return to skullfuck Ferrari at Le Mans.

I like the part where it takes the team with an unlimited budget 3 years to make a car that can finish Le Mans.
I also liked the part where a fat gently caress got so pissed off Ferrari didn't just give him the entire company on a platter that he decided to create an unlimited budget team that would promptly embarrass the hell out of him for 2 years before finally finding a way to screw over a guy on their team who was on the verge of making history.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

NtotheTC posted:

They're a car company that's been around a long time. Like Ferrari but successful.

Ferrari has been incredibly successful as a Racing Company that Makes Cars.
Ford has been remarkably unsuccessful (given the sheer resources they can fling about) as a Car Company that Goes Racing.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

what is the best doc about ferrari and enzo?

The first half of the 24 hour war which documents Ford's frustration post Enzo walking out of the meeting and promptly goes into Ford getting shitcanned for 2 years from the Ford perspective is a high point.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Bryter posted:

It's also illegal (until next year) for learner drivers to use them lol

Don't understand why you lot didn't just do what the worst states in Australia do and just put arbitrary speed limits on Learners.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

For someone whose family is rich and for someone who at one point was an F1 driver that house seems incredibly ordinary.

He basically didn't get paid while with Renault.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

gret posted:

Honda has already perfected a single spray jet in their R&D labs, so surely they'll be coming out with the perfect dishwasher anytime now.

:golfclap:

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I like how Mazda teased us with a car that looks like a 2019 refresh of the RX-7 after like a decade of promising they haven't given up on that...

Then they announce it's a luxury V6.

EDIT: Ford should've killed those chucklefucks.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

It's reasons like this everyone should really join the discord.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It's cool though I like League more than Union.

I've rarely seen someone be so wrong in an opinion before.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

red bull are hoping that the honda engine is good when renault tells them to gently caress of? or they really think that aston will build a engine?

They're hoping that a "neutral" engine supplier comes to the party in 2021.

1500quidporsche posted:

Instead they are constantly swapping fresh people in constantly and told to be bold with new ideas so it just encourages them to go down these dead ends where somebody with more experience would've dismissed the idea as unfeasible and had a clearer idea of where to go.

Sounds like what you do if you're trying to change the paradigm without actually knowing how to change the paradigm.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Diet Crack posted:

Pay Driver over Kubica... I really really want to keep supporting you Williams, but you're making this loving difficult with the comedy of bad decisions over the past 4 years.

If they come dead last I'm jumping ship.

I mean, they had Sirotkin and Bobby K doing test laps at the same time and Sergei was the quickest, when tyre corrected. He was also quicker than Massa. I love the Bobby K story, and I hope he races in F1 again but he wasn't as good as Sirotkin on exposed form. Like criticising Williams for making the decision literally any F1 team in Williams position would have made is p stupid.

Di Resta was a non-starter - it doesn't appear like there's anything backing him and Williams are a second tier team and they need that scrit - while Kvyat and Wehrlein are back where they belong: rooted to development drives and in the bin, respectively.

He's a pay driver, but he's been around as a test driver for Renault for the last two years and his backers have had him on the hotseat to F1 for 4 or 5 years now. He's nowhere near the "we're jumping off the board to pick a teenager who was only really successful as a result of being force fed success in F3 because his daddy has mad bank. We're gonna sign him because his daddy has mad bank." signing Stroll was. My view is he's basically a smidgen above Di Resta's competence level but with dumptrucks of money behind him whereas Bobby K is probably a bit below that at the moment, and really only has fan goodwill behind him.
It's sad that Williams are looking at, quite frankly, third tier drivers, but outside of trying to lure an Indycar champion who would earn far more money in Indy away they're simply stuck there. All the young up and coming drivers are part of the Ferrari, Mercedes, Renault, Red Bull or McLaren driver development programs and sure they'll give you a super talented driver (if you pick correctly) and they will provide money but they're gonna want concessions as to how "their driver" is treated in "your team". When you look at Sauber, TR, Force India and how their development driver (or "preferred driver" in the case of TR) is treated vs how their actual driver is treated you'll see somewhat of a discrepancy.

Williams has been such a basket case for most of the last decade that they've struggled to get into a position to look at setting one up. Maybe if they can hold on to that weird 4th/5th position overall they'll be able to get something going.
In the meantime they're in this super awkward no mans land where they're not good enough to get the legit good drivers and not bad enough to be getting the next generation of legit good drivers.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 16, 2018

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Theophany posted:

I was with you until you seemed to have a minor stroke mid-post.

I mean, for who he is he did a remarkable job adjusting to F1 through the middle of the season.
Lets not forget how his first 3 rounds went though.

I think you should Surrender to my logic.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Human Grand Prix posted:

Some Japanese gentleman Group C driver did because of a mechanical failure.

1500quidporsche posted:

Also didnt Haas try to sue for damages because some grate was improperly welded during a GP this and damaged their car?

These are both civil suits suing for damages. The Dutch gentleman is considering criminal charges. I'm calling him a gentleman because he should really be in Carrera Cup making an arse out of himself there fron what I've heard.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

good avatar, iospace please bring back the gp2 tag? muchas gracias

Give him Stroll's Shills tia.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

track day bro! posted:

Ferrari should be allowed to test 24/7 at Fiorano #forzaferrari

I absolutely agree.

Imagine giving them that much of an advantage; I can't wait to see how they manage to gently caress up and blow another championship opportunity. The comedy gold that would generate.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Tsaedje posted:

If you think thread off season chat is bad, you should hear what I end up talking to my dad about when there's no F1 news. I literally had a 10 minute chat with him about the future of diesel. Testing can not come soon enough.

You don't have to keep leaning in to that Av man.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

iospace posted:

Though Porsche

I like how I already know the rest of this statement is going to be the most pedantic exercise in over-preperation known to mankind.

iospace posted:

tested the new 911 RSR on it for 50 hours straight to make sure that thing can survive. And it passed.

Good to know I was right.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

harperdc posted:

It’s not Porsche, it’s sports-car racing. Endurance racing is a whole different thing.

Like some teams will do "enough" for endurance. Some times they'll do "more than enough".

Porsche will find a way to do "far more than enough".

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

tuo posted:

IIRC, they had problems with the windtunnel data not relating with what happened on track, plus parts of their suspension where banned pre-season, weren't they? They said that sorting out the windtunnel problems helped a lot...unless that was just a cover-up for something else.

That's the long story.
The short story is that Newey was busy designing boats and road cars and wasn't around to tell everyone what to do.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

tuo posted:

Red Bull cars are like Schrödinger's Cat as off late. They are designed by Newey and are not designed by Newey at the same time when you listen to Red Bull (depending on what works best in the current press release/interview), up until Barcelona tests...then they decide wether it's a Newey car or it isn't.

This wasn't coming directly from Red Bull. It was coming out of a bunch of sources even before Barcelona that Newey hadn't spent as much time on this car as he had on previous cars due to other commitments.
Then the car turned out to be a bit of a dog and Red Bull doubled down on that stub of a story.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

AgentJotun posted:

Sounds like you can sum up the liberty idea as - less like soccer broadcasts and more like American sports. Wont be long before there are half a dozen timeouts during the race where the drivers have to pull over for a minute so we can get a word from our sponsors.

The American sports thing is dying a slow, painful death. More likely they want to create a product that's attractive to someone looking to buy a stream subscription.
So you're still looking for the "popcorn" element, but you're not going to break it up.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

Get this MotoGP crap out of the official Scuderia Ferrari thread

Can't wait until, just like after 2008 and 2010, Ferrari bottles it and gives their drivers a dog of a car and they wrestle that shitbox to like 5th and 10th in the WDC ranks respectively.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

FOM could absolutely get teams to push harder to get a woman in. Hell, all the big teams have massive junior programmes now, if they got an agreement where all those teams agreed to have at least one promising female driver in the academy we'd be on the road to the first female F1 driver and realistically towards the first female F1 race winner/champion.

I get why people want grid girls gone, but I don't think it's doing anything to get a woman on the top step of the podium which has to be the end goal.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

wicka posted:

IT DOESN'T loving HAVE TO. IT IS A GOOD THING ON ITS OWN. STOP POSTING STUPID poo poo.

They're promoting it as this big move away from F1's image as "the boys club" and towards a more... "modern F1". If they're putting more behind it than just this symbolic act of "getting rid of those pesky scantily clad girls" then bravo F1. But I find the idea of F1 "doing more for girls and for a more modern F1" super hard to swallow when there are like 3 girls within 5 years of contending for an F1 seat assuming they even have funding for this year which is absolutely not a foregone conclusion.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

Finally i signed with Scuderia Ferrari in f1 2017

According to me, this was posted at 08:32, Feb 7th 2018 (in +10GMT).
I'm assuming he got F1 2017 installed at 08:27, Feb 7th 2018 (in +10GMT).

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Tsaedje posted:

I'm going to go ahead as guess that Indy's requirements for that screen are a hell of a lot more lax than the FIA's. They tested a screen but it couldn't cope with a tyre hitting it at 150kph. The halo is a stopgap that works now so they've put it on. If the aeroscreen had passed the same tests I'm sure it'd be preferred. Indy choosing looks over actual safety is nothing to be proud of.

harperdc posted:

Quite the opposite - read up about what IndyCar is trying with this, and what material they’re using (hint: fighter jet canopy). And let’s not forget anything IndyCar would use has to be able to withstand 230 mph on superspeedways.

And the fact that they’re doing more than one lap as a proof of concept also puts more credence to their idea than the Ferrari F1 tests.

The implementation is a lot easier because
a) you're dealing with 2 chassis instead of 10.
b) you're not dealing with whining manbabies like Sebastian Vettel.

Indy has prolly always been a step ahead of F1 (in the period where IndyCar has existed, not comparing AOWR to F1 here) and they're prepared to make sacrifices for safety that F1 has sidestepped; see: SAFER Barriers vs Tilkedromes.

Sooner or later the Aeroscreen or something very much like it is coming to F1. It simply is. In the meantime they're gonna work on the weight, the materials and so on and so forth.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Pirate Radar posted:

I thought that was earn brew.

Irn Bru and that's Scottish for "Coke but with 4 extra pounds of sugar per 10oz"

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I'm pretty sure all the top cars had failures of some sort at last year's le mans, it was just that Toyota got stranded out on the track and were hosed

Two of the Toyota's failed on track un-recoverably. One of the Porsches did too.
One had a total loss of power and the other was unsighted by an ?LMP2? car coming out of the pits and Kamui tried to drive it back too fast and shredded the entire rear section of the car.
Both Porsches had the same problem iirc, but one made it back to the pits and was able to be fixed.

1500quidporsche posted:

That's happened across multiple years. Was it 2014 where they were trying to get the driver to repair the car and giving him instructions by cell phone?

It's every year. I think it was Lotterer who was getting "how to restart the engine" instructions over his headset as he tried to limp down Mulsanne this year.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Basically saying "McLaren used to tell us it was the Honda engine holding them back in the final sector, looks like Toro Rosso is having no such problems"

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

djssniper posted:

I notice the countries sky has an interest in are not included, VPN it is then

Doesn't explain Australia.
Foxtel has abysmal rates of uptake and most races aren't gonna be on Free-to-Air iirc, while F1 has a pretty strong following here. They could prolly print money if they came here with a $15/month offering. Hell, I'd buy it (if I could suspend it/it didn't cost anything when there weren't any races on).

Otherwise I'm just gonna :filez: it.

EDIT: Just realised what does - Fox just bought the rights, so I guess they're content to lock it up, I guess FOM didn't learn from the A-League's struggles to get an active viewer base here. Also the Australian Grand Prix has to be on Free-to-Air here due to Anti-Siphoning laws.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The Kimoa Kid posted:

I may be thinking of something else, but didn't the previous broadcaster go bankrupt and terminate their contact midseason? I imagine FOM would've been pretty desperate to find someone to finish the season, and Foxtel just demanded a longer contract.

Sort of...
they were run into the ground so Murdoch could buy them cheaply and turn them into Fox but on free-to-air.
Then CBS stepped in and stopped all that mularky by simply outbidding what Murdoch wanted to bid. Twice.

They still have the rights to the Australian GP for a few years because, through Australian law, Fox can't show it if it isn't on a free-to-air channel, and I think it's that "you still have to find someone to show the Australian Grand Prix" that FOM is balking at.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 28, 2018

• Locked thread