Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!
I hope the missiles hit but I also hope they don't hit... is this what centrism feels like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Weka posted:

I guess the question is not whether it is good if any particular person died, but what the results of not suppressing these protests would be.

if I had to guess, probably they'd lighten up with the religious paramilitary stuff for a while

but you're right it's better not to risk it. in the world we live in, the CIA does not run Iran, so any one woman the morality police beat to death up to this point might have had to die in order to prevent a CIA coup. if you criticise any past action by the Iranian police you're basically advocating that we build the michael crichton Timeline machine and give it to bolton

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

readingatwork posted:

Also, as a side note. Do you think that one of the US's enemies (let's say, Russia) would be justified in secretly arming fascist groups like patriot front and the KKK to violently overthrow the government and install a dictator (let's say, Trump) so that we'd be more willing to sell them stuff for cheap? Do we not do similar crackdowns on protests (the BLM protests come to mind)? Do we not also require regime change?

I don't think there's any shortage of people willing to criticise the US itt

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

trying really hard to imagine the potential downside of launching a volley of ballistic missiles at a US ally without warning

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Guys. It's time for some game theory.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

why are any of you using youtube in such a way that you see ads

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

Israel purchased the F-35 on GOG. Everyone else has Denuvo.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

there is no reason that the big hole or the taxiing plane would be faked/coverups. if israel needs a photo of a crater in a desert, they have a million of them ready to go without digging one out. if they wanted to show 3 seconds of an F35 taking off, they have many functional airports and undoubtedly footage from before yesterday

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

'unharmed vegetation' lmao

even if you couldn't clearly see broken blades of grass in the photo it's loving stupid to seize on these details. buhhhh I've uh geoconfirmed the unharmed grass to the mojave. there are no craters anywhere in israel, they had to get hollywood to shoot em. it's called osint maybe you've heard of it

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Weka posted:

What you are describing is a cover up.

they could be lying, probably are lying, about the extent of damage to the airbase. but maybe you could explain how that photo is evidence that they are lying. please try to be less embarrassing

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Guess we know the target audience now

go ahead and explain why they'd fake a crater

Chillgamesh posted:

i think missiles make fire when they explode

what are you expecting to see exactly? this is a fresh bomb crater in a field in Germany, for reference:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48746557

this is a crater in Gaza with uncharred palm trees nearby:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/israeli-airstrikes-gaza-city-leave-giant-crater-n136596

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

It's because they lie about literally everything, op

I agree with you. I think the photo is of a real crater, and it's being used to lie about damage to the airbase. There is no reason to make a fake crater as the op said, and it's embarrassing to read that poo poo

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

FormaldehydeSon posted:

random crater in the middle of nowhere means that an Iranian missile/drone didn't hit its mark, as opposed to any real craters that might have actual debris nearby

no, it means that any one of a million bombs dropped on israel or gaza didn't strike the airfield. they could go to one of their own firing ranges and take a video of a crater

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Chillgamesh posted:

Such an insane thing to :actually: about

yeah it does make me feel insane when I read a bunch of posters defend this brown moses wannabe bullshit

israel's lying about the airfield, and it makes everyone calling them liars look dumb and credulous when you draw stupid conclusions about 3 seconds of video of a hole in the desert

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Chillgamesh posted:

I'm genuinely confused and disturbed by the way your brain works

in the same video with the crater/hole, they show construction vehicles rebuilding a runway. what would be the point of digging out a fake crater in the middle of nowhere and then showing proof of direct damage to the airbase? why is the dirt pile evidence of faking a crater instead of evidence of any kind of construction happening anywhere nearby, like repairing a runway?

literally making a mountain out of a molehill

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Chillgamesh posted:

because there's no missile wreckage and it's one tiny little hole by itself in the middle of nowhere, and israel just makes poo poo up all the time

The size of the hole depends on the payload, and we don't know what the missile payloads were, so that doesn't matter.

Many bomb and missile craters have no visible wreckage. It's buried or scattered elsewhere. There's no missile wreckage visible here, for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly0_hm5z_vU

or here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/01/world/europe/zaporizhzhia-strike.html

And yeah, Israel makes poo poo up all the time, but I prefer to have a reason to think they're lying, like maybe 'it would benefit them in any way if people believed the lie' or 'the lie is inherently implausible' or 'non-Israeli witnesses contradict them'. And (1) they showed the runway being rebuilt, so digging a fake hole in the desert wouldn't help them pretend that it was undamaged. (2) There are millions of real craters in the Negev, many quite fresh, nothing implausible about that. (3) Nobody's saying every single missile hit the runway bang-on, or that that was even Iran's intention.

So what gives? Why defend the weirdo OSINT post claiming that a pile of dirt proves that a crater is fake, or that an F-35 taxiing proves that it can't take off?

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Leandros posted:

Did they hit the runway with something else? Why did one of them cause a crater and the other just lightly crack the asphalt and scorch it a bit?

They could have already smoothed over any crater with earthmovers by the time the video was taken.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

MightyBigMinus posted:

christ the amateur "every tiktok is its own zapruder mystery" is one of the worst parts of this years war show

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Mandel Brotset posted:

buddy you should assume that literally everything the idf says is a lie, they don’t deserve the benefit of the doubt they’re fuckin nazis

the IDF are the ones saying an airbase exists in the negev to begin with. maybe that's the biggest psyop of all

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Chillgamesh posted:

I guess I get where you're coming from Cassian, you don't want the thread to turn into a GBS-style circlejerk about how the AFU is totally on the verge of retaking Crimea any second or whatever. I just think it does benefit them internally to minimize the damage (show a tiny hole and then a repaired runway with an F35 taking off, to make people think the attack was ineffectual and reduce civilian panic) and the way the video is cut makes it look weird and suspicious (tiny hole with nothing around it, cut to a repaired runway, cut to a jet taking off). You are right the footage might actually be on the level, but even if it is, the political outcome is the same with regards to what Israel was trying to prove.

yeah I agree w/ all this

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

VROOM VROOM posted:

you want a hole? I can get you a hole, believe me. There are ways, dude, you don't wanna know about it, believe me. Hell, I can get you a hole by 3 o'clock this afternoon, with nail polish

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

Sure, but I personally wouldn't use a nazi source to establish that Ukraine has a nazi problem. :shrug:

I definitely wouldn't automatically trust a Nazi's characterisation of the substance and context of a brief clip from a speech I don't know anything else about. real baby brain poo poo

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

This is supposedly the context of the clip, taken from here. I can't verify the translation myself obviously but Poroshenko comparing the conditions of western Ukraine to occupied Ukraine in the present tense seems like a way more plausible interpretation than him openly vowing to terrorise the children of Donbass. Even very evil guys tend not to just say that stuff out loud.

quote:

“This war can’t be won with weapons. Every bullet produces two enemies. And every peaceful day Ukrainian state demonstrates on the liberated territories that citizens, who sang praises to false separatist regime a month ago, receive heat, electricity, at last they can send their children to school, they started to receive pensions, survivorship and disablement payments, they have jobs, they have salaries.

“And from the other side – I have spoken by phone with a woman, the associate professor of Taras Shevchenko Luhansk University. I have asked her: “How do you spend your day?” and she has answered me: “I get up at 5 am in order to reserve a place in a queue and to get two pots of water. As we have no water. I return home at 10 am and hurry to a queue for bread. One and a half loaves of bread. Till 12 o’clock there would be no bread. I return from there and stay at home from that moment because armed men start to appear in streets from 2 pm and they could shoot everyone”.

“My dear people of Odesa! This is what we avoided thanks to your wisdom, your solidarity. And thanks to – now we all are confident about this – your pro-Ukrainian position. I was full of joy, when after visiting Odesa the delegation of the OSCE made a conclusion that Odesa is a city of harmony, the city of peace. There can’t be a better compliment. I was very happy about it. Thank you for your wisdom, people of Odesa!

“And we win together by means of peace! Because we have jobs, and they have not. We have pensions, and they have not. We have support of children and pensioners, they have not. Our children would go to kindergartens and schools, theirs would be sitting in cellars. Because they do not know anything how to do! That’s how we are going to win this war. Because wars are won in minds, and not on the combat fields! They do not know this, but I know. And I have your support, I need it very much in order we win this war without perished Ukrainians, without perished inhabitants of Odesa.”

so yeah pawparole citing richard spencer's ex then doubling down probably wasn't the best idea. like how much imagination do you need to wonder if 'maybe there's more to this clip than an canadian neonazi is telling me and I might make myself look pretty dumb by quoting her'

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

someone should sell israel a monorail to put the iron dome on so the batteries are never in the same place

maybe elon could build them some single-lane tunnels around the golan heights

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Words in one hand shells in another, see which fills up faster.

yeah let's pretend I'm defending poroshenko instead of saying 'don't cite neonazis'

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Al! posted:

yes but also this thread needs to stop being marks for anyone with $8 to give to elon musk

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Just post about how the F-16 speed and critical angle of attack should be nerfed due to their turbine blades on the war thunder forums.

lol

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Al! posted:

there is 0 evidence hamas intentionally killed civilians on oct 7

off the top of my head, photos came out the same day of a group of mixed ages and genders shot at a bus stop or around a bus. so what do you mean by this? that the goal of the operation wasn't to kill civilians? that settlers aren't civilians?

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Sleekly posted:

a settler is not a civilian no. they are a violent usurper and colonising tool

I was actually just asking that one guy what he meant but fine: settlers make up what amounts to a paramilitary but I can't really see unarmed old women and kids as anything other than civilians no matter who's using them for what. The commonly understood definition of civilian still allows for civilians to live in places where they shouldn't be living as long as they're not military or members of an organised armed group

Anyway it would be a loving miracle if not one civilian got shot by the good guys on Oct 7, no matter what the plan was. If your plan is to kidnap people at gunpoint, what do you do if they resist? It's not like they brought bean bag guns and tasers with them

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

You would never cut it in the idf

lol

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Al! posted:

if they resist beyond making a bit of noise or trying to run, they become a combatant

okay officer

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Truga posted:

i understand the impulse to kramer into a thread 2 days after the dust has settled and laughing at people who live posted the wrong news as it happened, but i don't understand vomiting blood over it, can you explain that part

probably he's disgusted not at the fact that people make mistakes, but that many people itt err in the same direction: lusting for full scale war with Iran but woke because they're on Iran's side, you see, despite their accidental birth in the country that won't be getting its cities leveled

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

Starting a real war with Iran will put the US in very bad hole and surely will guarantee a Russia victory in Ukraine.

It's not so much of posters lusting for innocent civilian death but cheering for the US speedrunning the downfall of the empire worse than Kaiser Wilhelm II.

All these geopolitical events are connected.

exactly how many dead iranians do you think expanding russia's territory slightly is worth

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

HallelujahLee posted:

what are you talking about

I say, posters seem to be lusting for war with Iran.

Stephenthinkpad replies to explain that they want war with Iran because

stephenthinkpad posted:

Starting a real war with Iran will put the US in very bad hole and surely will guarantee a Russia victory in Ukraine.

I didn't make up this absurd tradeoff! I wouldn't have thought of this argument for a war between the US and Iran in a million years! I'm reading his literal words! Am I missing a joke? Is he being sarcastic?

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

is it in-bounds to describe what happened when an Israeli near Ramallah waddled out into a field to kick over a Palestinian flag, an incident which was caught on video

efb

Cassian of Imola has issued a correction as of 16:23 on Apr 21, 2024

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

feel like poo poo just want her back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

dropping off some homemade cookies at my university's ongoing encampment tomorrow. hope these kids like chocolate chip and they keep the racket down while I'm trying to work