Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Maybe a military (perpetually) at war and the state behind it could invest in building a real alert system instead of relying on Twitter :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

i say swears online posted:

the parallels with warsaw are so spot-on it's almost comedic. it's mind-blowing

Face heel turn before even the last survivor was gone.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

If you don't give us 100% immunity from any and all acts of violence you must surely hate our entire religion.

So pretty much like thin blue line in the US. I guess shooting protestors in the face wasn't the only thing they learn over there.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

thinking about going off and blasting a few rounds into the air to commemorate this victory over the zionist entity but someone might call the police

https://twitter.com/TheNationalNews/status/1395521543975882756

Some joker is gonna start this back up with a celebratory bottle rocket.

They seem pleased, but at least from the Syria situation and the past, I've become accustomed to ceasefires being bullshit. Do you figure it'll hold?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Boy are the amputee fans gonna party when she gets got.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

The people who made and enforce the ghetto don't live in the ghetto themselves. :thunk:

Also Saudi Arabia doesn't have any because as that crusty Irish guy said in Ulysses "she never let em in". They... don't really care for them there. SA is otherwise a big Israel backer. Very easy to follow stuff.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Maximo Roboto posted:

Israel didn't even participate in any anti-ISIS coalitions

Pouring gas on an oil fire. They did everyone a favor by staying mostly out of it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

OTOH we happily fund Al Qaeda affiliates in Syria.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Orbis Tertius posted:

I’m getting whiplash from Israel in ultra violence fash mode (which felt more mask-off than I remember) to pearl-clutching victim.

I guess that’s all just fash mode.

it’s so grotesque

They are the premier crybullies. Thankfully with social media and high quality video cameras in the pockets of most everyone, they can't just get on the phone and just have the story crushed and the reporter fired.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

They probably are told what to think by a pastor or parent, and those guys are still probably focusing on Trump, culture war, and abortion poo poo, not Israel, so they get some breathing room to have a differing opinion.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Vicious pogrom is using 2nd grader level insults on the algorithmic insult generator twitter dot com.

What is not a vicious pogrom is Gaza, or the lynchings in Israel of people thought to be Palestinian :allears:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Atrocious Joe posted:

In the last Radio War Nerd, Mark Ames says he'll be quick to explain why he was spied on by the ADL, and it becomes a 20 minute story that sounds like a Cohen brothers plot line

Long story short, the ADL spied on anti-apartheid activists, and one of their employees was gonna have Nazis murder a colleague so he could get a higher paying job.
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1993-04-13-mn-22383-story.html

So, a real Jewish conspiracy at long last?

Haven't listened yet but, I'm sure it is plausible enough.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Dmitri-9 posted:

https://twitter.com/DaryRezvani/status/1398111701971529729

If you're an american liberal or leftist and you criticize Israel they'll have their knives out for you but if you're american liberal or leftist who acquiesces to Israel they we'll go absolutely norman bates buffalo bill on you.

A United States Senator in a room with air conditioning. Some people just want it all :rolleyes:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

imagine paying billions for a military colony you can’t ever actually base out of because the entire region around it gets extra pissed when you do

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Now they have the Samson option, so if you don’t help them win every war they provoke forever, they’ll nuke you just for being neutral if they lose.

This is also a great way to fight antisemitism.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

oh ok my mistake

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

did you immediately change your view because you read a couple posts with a different view

I didn’t know there was a whole thing around it, so I’m not as sure anymore.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Imagine thinking what happened in 1000 BCE entitles you to anything 3000 years later.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

christmas boots posted:

Part of me wants this to happen since the laws are blatantly unconstitutional and it seems pretty clear-cut that they'd get the thrown out in court if they were ever actually challenged but otoh lmao the law doesn't matter and the courts would uphold it probably

Imagine having being subject to sedition laws regarding a nation you don't live in and are specifically trying not to do business with lol.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Watching women’s cycling and Israel just passed South Africa after hanging for a while. Apartheid regimes have to stick together amirite

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

IBroughttheFunk posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1422338438947291141

As an American, I love our ally in the Middle East - a beacon of modernity, what with things like their strong startup culture and *checks notes* marriage laws based heavily on the Ottoman Empire's millet system.

Marriage rights based on race and creed.

:thunk: The most progressive middle east country.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Zionists showing up places and not thinking the rules apply to them :allears:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I think part of the reason the school massacre thing isn't going wide in the media is that everyone kinda ate poo poo with the hospital thing and the assorted outlandish stories that proved to be wrong later. The ludicrous ultraviolence causes editor to put the brakes on because it sounds like so much propaganda, and then it'll turn out no wait they really loving did it and that'll be like 3 crises ago and we've all moved on.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

I remembered they did the same thing before the opening strikes on Libya. I don't really understand the purpose of a whole day leading up to it, other than so people tune it to watch the cruise missiles taking off or whatever.

I'm not sure which Libya strike you're referring to, but for El Dorado Canyon in 85 they explicitly timed it so it would be live on the US evening news

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Fast Luck posted:

Israel's terrorist hospital raid, they just keep finding new ways to astonish me as to their depravity.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

you missed this bit

:ironicat:

Imagine not having a uniformed military and designated bases in a 25 sq mi ghetto

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

boo boo bear posted:

one hundred plus days of wildly antisemitic tropes beings posted to tiktok by idf dweebs screaming 'this is who we are!', but don't mention it.

Plus I can't imagine the weird loyalty oaths to Israel some US states make people sign is helping. Hey, you need to pledge support to a country that is otherwise completely uninvolved in this or any transaction that will take place under this agreement.

Other than a handful of lobbyists and activists, I'm sure virtually no actual Jewish people were involved in making those things required. I definitely can see how it could fuel antisemitism since it plays into the "they control the world" trope, which I reiterate is a wrong thing to believe.

NeonPunk posted:

More like the US decide to do the stupidest thing possible and launch some cruise missles at some targets inside of Iran

Artillery. They'll shell something and our artillery correspondant will be still on probation.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Dreylad posted:

It's not dumb. As long as we have a "rules-based international order" or whatever having statehood gains you access to a lot of things, and it makes it far more difficult for other state actors to do things to you like rampage through your cities, imprison your people, cut off access to food, water, and medicine because nominally there are institutions that exist to guarantee these things don't happen without serious international consequences.

Armenia says hi. Artsakh would too but you know... totally cleansed of that ethnic group.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

OctaMurk posted:

I doubt it. Israel's genociding millions of Palestinians on Egypt's doorstep and yet it was South Africa that brought the case to the ICJ rather than any Muslim country.

South Africa was probably the best bet. They're outside of the region, not motivated by religion, and were an apartheid society and are still dealing with the transition. This is international politics, it's all about optics.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Lmao any person in the world would be outraged at being passed over for some assholes pet.

Like imagine working with the americans for years thinking theyre going to be the guarantors of the government and might as well get in good since it pays well and so you can have your work history vouch for you when its immigration time

Then you get left to your fate as a perceived collaborator while street dog fido whos owner picked up 3 months before the fall is on a plane.

Taking Americans at their word thinking they're going to keep their promises is just asking to take a big fat L. Never take the American plata. The yanquis don't have an exit strategy or really any plan beyond insiders embezzling money, but you better have one if you work with them because they will just ghost one day and leave you holding the bag.

Just ask the Kurds, the Vietnamese, hell, American soldiers themselves. The American government is not in the business of keeping promises to people with no connections.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Was trying to a fix a cart in ER admitting and one of the admissions people started going off about boycotting Starbucks because of Gaza :unsmith:. Everyone else present was at least sympathetic.

You hardly hear people talk about the war here at all. It was kind of refreshing.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

They're using the civilians as human shields, they said of people in a walled enclave they explicitly cannot leave with only local militias as a military.

They're firing rockets at us! They said of people they're literally at war with.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Malloc Voidstar posted:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/in-last-minute-bill-change-power-to-shutter-foreign-media-handed-to-national-security-ministry/
In last-minute bill change, power to shutter foreign media handed to National Security Ministry

National Security Committee head MK Zvika Fogel has made a last-minute change to pending legislation allowing the government to censor foreign media, moving the authority needed to close a foreign channel from the purview of the Defense Ministry and cabinet to the National Security Ministry and Communications Ministry, along with the National Security Committee, Channel 12’s Daphna Liel reports on X, formerly Twitter.

The decision to move the oversight to the ministries headed by Communications Minister Shlomo Khari and National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir will not be subject to judicial review, Liel reports, but it can be appealed by parties opposed to the change.

According to the report, the law allowing foreign media to be banned will not be limited to wartime alone.

The law was originally drafted to allow the communications minister to shutter foreign networks operating in Israel and confiscate their equipment if the defense minister identifies that their broadcasts pose “an actual harm to the state’s security.”

The law is expected to pave the way for Karhi to follow through on his threat to shut down Qatari news channel Al Jazeera, which he has said is working against Israel’s defense interests and fueling anti-Israel sentiment.

A temporary measure allowing the government to censor foreign media passed its first reading in the Knesset yesterday in a 25-4 vote.

The only uh, democracy, in the middle east

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Adenoid Dan posted:

Speaking of center mass, remember when they said it was a war crime to shoot a female soldier in the chest or pelvis?

Because the only reason to do that is gender based hate crime and not because they are an active combatant.

It's a war crime to even fight against the side the superpower is on. Russia calls shooting at a bridge during an active war or the city across the border a war crime and some unthinkable violation. US/Israel says shooting at soldiers invading your refugee camp and firing rockets at them to be a war crime and totally unfair.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Jel Shaker posted:

The US showed its alternative draft to other council members before Tuesday’s vote. This unusual step was intended, one western diplomat suggested, to avoid giving the impression that the US veto implied a green light for the Israeli attack on Rafah.

The inclusion in the US text of a clause specifically calling on Israel not to mount such an attack, rather than to limit such an appeal to bilateral channels, is widely seen in the UN as a signal of Biden’s growing impatience with Benjamin Netanyahu’s government, and frustration at the US president’s failure to rein in the relentless Gaza offensive, now in its fifth month. No date has yet been set for the start of formal deliberations on the US draft resolution, however.

“It is awfully embarrassing for the Americans,” Richard Gowan, the UN director of the International Crisis Group, said. “They’ve had to use a veto just days before the security council meeting commemorating Russia’s all-out assault on Ukraine. That will simply fuel talk about US double standards.”

I think the most shocking thing revealed is that they actually seem to care about being seen as something other than the blue country's toadie and that they're not greenlighting Rafah. I would have expected it to be a fig leaf but still with full backing of the attack.

Anyway, double standards lol. Did anyone make a super cut of Blinken moralizing about Russians crimes in Ukraine but basically saying "vae victus" and war is hell when asked about Gaza?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Diet Crack posted:

Also:

*checks notes on who the Nazis were mates with*
Ah yes.

El Al probably has extremely low ridership because of the war and has to keep flying to keep their slots . Might as well fill the plane with killers on leave

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

The blue and white country doesn’t want a ceasefire, why would they? They have a free pass for ethnic cleansing.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

The aid convoy massacre must be really bad and undeniable if the US immediately pivoted to dropping aid all of a sudden.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

JHomer722 posted:

. this should be a Judith Miller WMD level scandal, but it never will be based on the above.

If it was, then what? The reporter gets a job with the CFR and other think tanks and goes to Fox News?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The Myth of Israel as ‘US Aircraft Carrier’ in Middle East

If Israeli apartheid were to disappear, oil and trade would still flow from the Middle East towards the West, write Jean Bricmont and Diana Johnstone.

Why does the United States give total support to Israel?

In answer, there is a common myth shared by both champions and radical critics of the Zionist state which needs to be dispelled.

The myth is that Israel is a major U.S. strategic asset, described as a sort of unsinkable American aircraft carrier vital to Washington’s interests in the Middle East.

The line of argument of those who share this myth is to show that the United States has economic and strategic interests in the oil-rich Middle East (which nobody denies) and to quote American (and, of course, Israeli) political figures who claim that Israel is the best or even the sole U.S. ally in the region.

For example U.S. President Joe Biden has gone so far as to say that if Israel didn’t exist the U.S. should have invented it.

But the crucial evidence, totally missing from their analysis, is the slightest example of Israel actually serving American interests in the region.

If no examples are given, it’s simply because there are none. Israel has never fired a shot on behalf of the United States or brought a drop of oil under U.S. control.

We can start with a common sense argument: If the U.S. is interested in Middle East oil, why would it support a country that is hated (for whatever reasons) by all the populations of the oil producing countries?

In the 1950s, such was the reasoning of most U.S. experts, who put good relations with Arab countries ahead of support to Israel. This no doubt helps explain why AIPAC, the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, was founded in 1963, to align U.S. policy with that of Israel.

“The public must realize that far from being an asset, Israel is a chronic liability that squanders billions of American dollars, drags the United States into wars and whose genocidal treatment of the Palestinians is radically destroying America’s moral pretensions in most of the world.”

9/11 happened in part because of US support of Israel specifically.

It's not even worth it on its own terms because you can't even use Israel as a forward base, and the US doesn't even try. They were not launching strikes into Iraq, any of the times the US has does so, from Israel, because it would massively piss everyone in the region off. Same with Syria and Libya, the US didn't use the aircraft carrier of Israel because to do so is far more trouble than its worth. Oh and also we have actual aircraft carriers, and Turkey, and Cypress.

If you can't base out of your client state because to do so is to invite huge political repercussions, you don't actually have a base there.