Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

hmhb fan posted:

This is welcome but I wouldn't believe it for a second.

they know there is an election coming and they can't keep going against what the people have been advocating for decades.

So, in other words, you think they are going to intervene?

Because yeah, obviously most of these asshats don't give a poo poo about Palestinian lives. Public pressure forcing them to cooperate is a good thing, it's how any policy change will happen, unless things reach the level of outright violence. You don't win a fight like this by convincing your opponent to grow a heart, you win by making their life miserable until they acquiesce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Wow so it turns out when you structure an entire country to enable fascist genociders it permanently destroys their ability to temper their bloodlust and consider (or care about) questions like "will this action lead to our capital city being nuked"

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
That post is pretty clearly a joke but it's a drat good one

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Grey Fox posted:

we must stop the Flo of arms to Israel immediately

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Mods lmk if this smackdown is too brutal to post here

https://x.com/poetryc0mmunity/status/1782618421294960805

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Pure strain Zionist brainrot. I wonder if they didn’t notice the gathering of Jewish people with the giant Jews for a Free Palestine flag somehow or if they’ve been warped by Zionist propaganda to just see them as not really Jewish for not being pro-Israel and assumed everyone had the same brainrot

The replies to this one are illuminating:

https://x.com/simonerzim/status/1782606749205180869

The gist is, some combination of "they're not real Jews/they're collaborators/ALL JEWS LOVE ISRAEL WHY DON'T YOU LOVE ISRAEL????"

And to keep the thread on-topic, dti dta

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
https://x.com/taliaotg/status/1782924314809176149

Atnisemitsmis

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Weka posted:

I have seen nothing to indicate these current protestors are ideologically opposed to liberalism.

From the perspective of someone who's actually been in and around them, the protest groups are extremely anti-liberalism and anti-capitalism. We can argue about how effective that rhetoric is, but mass media is never going to give you a clear depiction of the students' positions.

For those snickering from the peanut gallery, keep in mind that of the 20 or so schools with encampments, only 3 are ivy leagues - Cal Poly Humboldt, of the water jug boinking fame, is like the opposite of an ivy league - and even at places like Columbia the protests aren't being driven by the richest and whitest students, who broadly don't give a poo poo. Many of the organizers are themselves Palestinian.

I have no illusions that these movements will affect public policy, nor that they're as radical as something like the Black Panthers, but also, that radicalism doesn't get born overnight - you don't get something like a general strike by a mass of randos waking up in the morning and thinking "huh, a general strike sounds fun." I think it's a fine plan to build momentum in that direction via increasingly confrontational direct actions, as has now literally been achieved with the Texas professors going on strike. Doomerism about how nothing matters ever in the metropole is a thousand times more useless to any cause you claim to advance.

I'll eat a probe for this if needed, it's just been annoying the poo poo out of me.

youcallthatatwist has issued a correction as of 11:50 on Apr 25, 2024

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
https://x.com/NationalSJP/status/1785182718180900892

:gbsmith:

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Al! posted:

the same icc that said its OK to sell them infinite weapons? i dont think israel needs to be worried anymore

Ruling today was from the ICJ, article is about ICC

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Everyone with power for sure, but I'm not so sure about most of the people without. If that were the case, pro-Palestine protests would have vanished months ago. It's us versus the elites, and the elites are losing this battle quickly - that's why they're trying to put down the college protests so dramatically.

It's a generational thing. The boomers are still broadly brainwashed by traditional media, but the younger you get the less anyone gives a poo poo about CNN. And the boomers may be gripping onto power with their lovely corpse hands but even they can't live forever

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Bouillon Rube posted:

It’s my gut feeling that nobody is running the ship at this point. No one person knows exactly why we must remain beholden to this weird parasitic twin across the globe, and honestly they don’t need a reason. Biden is a perfect example of this mindset

I think the Democrat machine understands fully well that Israel produces the training and toys that our police can use to brutalize civilians, and that the entrenched wealthy Zionist donors should be kept satisfied. But neoliberal institutional rot has also surgically removed any ability for the machine to think strategically instead of reactively; otherwise they'd be able to realize that the current course of action is catastrophically ill-advised.

(And even then I think there are quite a few individual Democrats who are freaking out, but they're either unwilling or unable to actually challenge the leadership)

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

mawarannahr posted:

fewer Jedi more jihad plz

dune is way better than star wars agreed

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
I do think it's interesting just how many American and Israeli mouthpieces are openly piping up with Polite Concerns about the warrants. Gives me a little hope that the backchannel "negotiations" aren't going as smoothly as they hoped

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
if I whine really really hard about syqposting will it finally end

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Yeah honestly I'm pretty confident that Israel will lose the current fight and will be toppled eventually - the question is how fast it'll happen, and what will take its place. Even if the US is eventually willing to call an oopsies on the genocide they'll fight tooth and nail against any kind of restitution. Unless they're somehow forced to by Europe or the UN, which, lmao

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Ppl have understandably forgotten about this but very early on there was a letter from like, the Blue Dog War Hawk Caucus saying "hey uh unconditional support to Israel seems like... a real bad idea rn"

As leftists we tend to treat the state like it's a singular all-powerful entity but there's plenty of signs that it's a bunch of humans making stupid, petty human decisions. The problem is that the democratic establishment has surgically removed all of its institutional memory and behaves fully reactively, and none of the people who get how bad things have gotten are able or willing to stand up to the leadership

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

This is much too little, much too late, but it's still going to make the Zionists diarrhea poo poo themselves, and that's at least a silver lining

(It's also a sign of how strong hamas's position is. Hopefully they're smart enough to refuse anything less than the liberation of Gaza)