Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Apologies if you've already seen this in the last 5000 pages but here's one of my favorite birb videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmcBjsuZSAE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

This is an anime.

This is a muppet.

Posters please stop trying to fool me by posting fake birbs!!

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

So spooky he spooked himself. Stay safe, spooky owl.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Honestly surprised Mourning Doves ranked this high because they are not... smart.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

US-East feederboard 2021:

MVP: Northern Cardinal

Dumbest: Mourning Dove

Cutest: Tufted Titmouse

Class clown: White-breasted Nuthatch

Best Defense: Northern Mockingbird (would harass and bother multiple neighborhood cats)

Best Offense: Blue Jay (once got a posse to scream at a Red-Tailed Hawk until it left)

Least Believable: Northern Flicker (oh you're a woodpecker that looks like a yassified dove and eats like a Robin? PICK A LANE!)

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Regarde Aduck posted:

UK North Wales feeder:

JACKDAWS, JACKDAWS EVERYWHERE, SEND HELP

nooooo those are for the little birds stooooopppppppp!

~aaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

Sounds like a bad corvid outbreak friend.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Sulfur cresteds are such assholes lol.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Helith posted:

The Cockies that have learned how to open the secured bins then teach other Cockies how to do it. Birds in 44 Sydney suburbs now know how to pry open bins and birds in different suburbs have different techniques.
I’m so glad there aren’t any living in my immediate area but we hear them flying over most mornings.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/video/2021/jul/23/sulphur-crested-cockatoos-learn-to-open-wheelie-bins-in-sydney-video

When I visited Sydney a gang of cockies tried to mug me and steal my watch. One of his mates kept licking my hair to try and distract me.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Inside you are two birbs: One is Canadian. The other is a jay.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Regarde Aduck posted:

I do wonder what most goons do that gets them into so much trouble with geese

i've never had problems with them and i think most non-goons just hate all the goose poo poo rather than the constant fear of being attacked

They are pretty large birds that get notoriously territorial and bitey when nesting, and will often pick nesting territory that overlaps with human outdoor spaces. This results in them getting a reputation of "loud, mean assholes who poo poo everywhere".

Also, like Al Queda, they once crashed a plane in NYC.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

This is one of the greatest gifs I have ever seen.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Tfw you realize you being haunted by a ghost.

Edit: everyone knows make-out point is haunted, but teens still go there.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7izraterXQ

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

He's such a happy little dude! (HLD) :kimchi:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Just a wee little dinosaur. :kimchi:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

https://twitter.com/KaylaAncrum/status/1537167296866680834

Uh, yeah, uh... ancient cultures built those because having a big pigeon roost was a low effort and reliable source of protein. The feed themselves, they stay put, they make more of themselves.

She's right in that almost all urban pigeons are basically feral descendants of domesticated pigeons. You can't just, like, capture a wild pigeon off the street and have it cuddle with you. There's lots of pet pigeon content on YouTube if you're interested, but those are breeds raised specifically to be pets and acclimated to living with people.

Maybe you could rob a pigeon nest and like, hatch and raise it and it would be ok. There's people who have done this with house sparrows-- chicks rescued after they fell out a nest or whatever-- and many of them have adorable social media accounts. They will still poo poo everywhere in your house though.

What I'm saying is go search your local highway overpasses and report back.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

A couple summers ago, we had a couple mockingbirds that nested near our backyard. It became very obvious whenever the neighbors let their cat out, because they would start loudly making a particular alerting call while following the cat around, harassing and attacking it. I once witnessed them sitting on the railing of the neighbor's deck screaming at the cat sitting inside her own house just because they saw her through the sliding glass door.

We joked that we had a cat detector, because they made such a loud and distinctive sound you immediately knew when a cat was around. Sometimes you could even hear it with the windows closed and the AC on.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pi0OsHR1-4

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Wee adorbs attack birb (waab)

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

I remember someone posted that video last year and I learned that the Turkish word for grouse means "forest chicken".

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

https://twitter.com/danielabramson/status/1614739726812221442

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Or you forget to latch the lid and get a surprise squirrel roommate.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

mandatory sound

https://i.imgur.com/I5izygv.mp4

bird is a willow ptarmigan.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

TIL that the staff of the National Audubon Society have a union, but changed their name recently (because Audubon was super super racist and loved slavery and wrote a lot about how great slavery was) and now they are just called "Bird Union". And their website has this gif on it:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

How does that lady have any hearing left?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Unsinkabear posted:

It sounds like a magpie hosed a seagull and this poor thing was the result.

I will not stand for this slander against the majestic and wonderful kookaburra! :mad:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Mockingbirds are the best. A couple of years ago there was a pair on my block who would harass my neighbors cat, to the point where I actually saw them sitting on the neighbors deck yelling and screaming at the cat, while the cat was inside his own house. It got to the point where we could tell whenever the cat was around because we could hear the mockingbirds losing their poo poo outside even with the windows closed.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Analytic Engine posted:

thought this was the AI Art thread for a second, what a vibrant birb!

One of these randomly appeared in NYC a few years back and it became a whole thing.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Took a little trip to the Thousand Islands and the free newspaper for the village by our Airbnb has a section dedicated to Mourning Dove news.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Buddy this is the birds thread not the pokemon thread.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Too cute!

My pigeons nest is comparatively shittier.

why is there a straw

Honestly that's pretty advanced for a pigeon nest.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

We've had a ton of fledgling house sparrows around the feeder and yard the last few weeks too. They're really adorable and awkward.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Speaking of pigeons, the mysterious ghost pigeon (aka almost entirely leucistic) has decided to join the local pigeon gang gorging themselves on my bird feeder.

(Bonus pic of a mourning derp looking perpetually confused)

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6egclvNTOtI

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

that's not a baby that's a grown rear end man

get the hell out of the house and get a job

Counterpoint: I'm a big dumb baby who doesn't know how a beak works moooooooom. Mom. Mooooom. Mom mom mom mom mom mom. Mom the peanut is in my mouth help.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Enfys posted:

It's not just grackles. I've watched fledgling sparrows sitting on the bird feeder, surrounded by sunflower seeds, loudly demanding their parents get other sunflower seeds and stuff them into their mouths.

Gulls are really funny because there will be gangs of scruffy grey teens hanging around in groups, and the second an adult lands anywhere close by, they will go mob it, all doing the "I'm a wee hungry babby" dance, shrieking and begging until the adult gets exasperated and flies off.

I've also seen this at my feeder with house finches and cardinals. I even once saw a slightly older fledgling cardinal help feed their slightly younger sibling who was insisting their mouth doesn't work and why won't someone feed me?!

Fledgling season is the best part of summer because they are all hilarious awkward weirdos.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

I'm guessing based on the accent she's a tourist and didn't know the ironclad rule: Never feed the cockies.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Regarde Aduck posted:

not seeing the downside tbh

I made this mistake while visiting Syndey. I didn't even have food, just pretended like I did to lure them over for a closer look. Five minutes later I'm being mobbed, one is digging through my hair looking for any dropped seeds while another one tried to steal my watch.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Orphaned as a chick and raised by catbirds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

This gets funnier every time I watch it.