Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

skasion posted:

I allowed the subjects of my divine empire to think that I had a weird hosed up dick and perverse sexual practices when in fact, I did not. This was because I am very smart and all the choirs of history sing within me.

—from the Stolen Journals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

He should be carrying a printer

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I gotta say, from what I remember God Emperor is painfully tell-don't-show. We're constantly told that Hwi is the loveliest human that ever existed and Malky is the most evil human that ever existed. (Why, because he wants to overthrow Emperor Worm Turbohitler?)

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Characters also refer to tleilaxu as 'filthy' but Herbert does not describe what kind of filth, if they roll in poop like a dog, if they are stinky, what kind if stinky they are, etc etc

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
The Tleilaxu transed their genders, which is the most evil thing you can do besides artificial insemination or lesbian foreplay.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Okay…how does Leto II Turbohitler turn into a worm?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Gatts posted:

sticking sandtrout on his body. these are the larval stages of the worm. he had enough spice in his body that the worms just thought it was water and encysted it like they do with other water

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Gatts posted:

He covers his body in a bunch of the larval form of the sandworm, the "sand trout", which instinctively are drawn to water and form a barrier against it. In the short term they effectively give him super powers like speed and strength and form a living stillsuit. Over centuries and millennia they meld with his body and he becomes a sandworm-man that lives thousands of years and is nearly indestructible (further spoilers below.) At the time of God Emperor of Dune, he is the only living sandworm.

He's killed when anti-God emperor terrorists set explosive charges on a bridge he's crossing that dumps him into the river. Water kills sandworms. All the sandtrout components of his body separate and begin the sandworm lifecycle anew, but this time each with a fragment of Leto's consciousness within, which was ultimately a part of his plan, the Golden Path.

ChairmanMauzer fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 26, 2024

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Actually, shouldn't the Fremen then have started suffering from massive withdrawl when they left Arrakis and started on the galactic Jihad?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Deptfordx posted:

Actually, shouldn't the Fremen then have started suffering from massive withdrawl when they left Arrakis and started on the galactic Jihad?

they still had control over the spice, so you just take some with you. everyone knows it's addictive

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Deptfordx posted:

I'm sure Paul would have prioritized their rations as he personally allotted spice deliveries to those in the galaxy who end up cooperating with him.

That being said, a LOT of the Fremen veterans end up coming back from the Jihad with some pretty serious PTSD from the violence they perpetrated and the shock of leaving the desert world their society/culture developed on.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Is there a backstory (maybe in failson territory) that explains how and when Arrakis and the spice were found, and how the spice was discovered to be vital to space-folding prescience?

Obviously they arrived at the planet back when thinking machines were still handling space travel. The Butlerian Jihad happens, and that all changes, but were people using spice by that time and how did they put two and two together that they could do the calculations by tripping on it really hard?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
You know we joke about him not having a penis but the dude is a worm and in some ways he is a massive dick himself.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

ChairmanMauzer posted:

He covers his body in a bunch of the larval form of the sandworm, the "sand trout", which instinctively are drawn to water and form a barrier against it. In the short term they effectively give him super powers like speed and strength and form a living stillsuit. Over centuries and millennia they meld with his body and he becomes a sandworm-man that lives thousands of years and is nearly indestructible (further spoilers below.) At the time of God Emperor of Dune, he is the only living sandworm.

He's killed when anti-God emperor terrorists set explosive charges on a bridge he's crossing that dumps him into the river. Water kills sandworms. All the sandtrout components of his body separate and begin the sandworm lifecycle anew, but this time each with a fragment of Leto's consciousness within, which was ultimately a part of his plan, the Golden Path.

Herbert used prescience to steal this plot from Triple X

Vin Diesel for Leto 2

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Gatts posted:

You know we joke about him not having a penis but the dude is a worm and in some ways he is a massive dick himself.

Hwi. Don't do it. When you want to go through it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Is there a backstory (maybe in failson territory) that explains how and when Arrakis and the spice were found, and how the spice was discovered to be vital to space-folding prescience?

Obviously they arrived at the planet back when thinking machines were still handling space travel. The Butlerian Jihad happens, and that all changes, but were people using spice by that time and how did they put two and two together that they could do the calculations by tripping on it really hard?

it's stated in the original Dune book that there were other lesser forms of drug that could be used for truthsaying and guild travel but none were as effective as Melange and once it was taken it rendered all those other forms useless. It isn't that Spice is the only one, it is that it is by far the most effective and ruins all other types for you

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ChairmanMauzer posted:

There's also a whole section at the end of Children of Dune that strongly implies that Paul knew he'd have to become a worm in order to see the Golden Path through.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Everyone at Adventure Island was so pissed when I fell into the water and my body dispersed into component worms with a pearl of my thousands-year consciousness.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
bridge-destroying is deffo a hot news topic, anyways

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Soul Dentist posted:

Ratatozsk posted:

Though I hate each Harko-nen
From Vladimir to Beast Rab-en
Oh you’ll never make a worm god out of me

Oh my gosh I was wrong
It was the golden path all along
Oh you’ve finally made a worm god
[Yes we’ve finally made a worm god]
Yes you’ve finally made a worm god out of me

galagazombie posted:

*enter the baron Harkonnen*
I hate every Fremen that I see
From A-treides to Atreideez
You’ll never make a chair dog out of meeee
*Giant stone head from cover of Dune: Messiah appears in background*
Oh my god, I was wrong.
Maud’dib was Paul all along.
Yes you’ve finally made a Chair Dog
Yes we’ve finally made a chair dog
Yes you’ve finally made a chair dog out of meeeeeeeee!!!
I love you Dr. Yueh!

when dunc2 comes out ill revisit this with better fremen cutouts and using the nuke as the background

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 26, 2024

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

That worm scene was indeed amazing.

What I couldn't help but thinking.

How does everyone else get on? Especially let's say pregnant Reverend Mothers who aren't trained in this.

Also how the gently caress do you manage the dismount?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
They can probably get them to stop, although why that wasn't really shown in the film beats me.

I did find it pretty funny that it's this huge deal for Paul to ride his first one and then a little later in the movie they're treated as basically a train ride, public transportation for the Fremen.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Halloween Jack posted:

I gotta say, from what I remember God Emperor is painfully tell-don't-show. We're constantly told that Hwi is the loveliest human that ever existed and Malky is the most evil human that ever existed. (Why, because he wants to overthrow Emperor Worm Turbohitler?)

Leto can’t stop thinking about how much he would like to do Hwi if only he had bits, not because she’s objectively the most virtuous or anything but because she was created through ixian super science to be the ultimate doormat, as a joke.

Duncan can’t stop thinking about how much he wants to do Hwi because she’s the only woman he knows who doesn’t passively emasculate his sorry 11th-millennium rear end by being able to beat him to death effortlessly any time she pleases.

Moneo sees Leto slobbering over Hwi and warns him people are going to think he’s a creep. Leto tells him he doesn’t care. Moneo sighs philosophically.

Siona refers to Hwi exclusively as “the Ixian woman” and pays absolutely no attention to her at any time because she’s the only person in the book with her head screwed on straight. When Hwi dies and Duncan has a murderous screaming meltdown about it, she says pretty much “he’ll get over it”.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Deptfordx posted:

That worm scene was indeed amazing.

What I couldn't help but thinking.

How does everyone else get on? Especially let's say pregnant Reverend Mothers who aren't trained in this.

Very carefully, OP.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Mister Speaker posted:

They can probably get them to stop, although why that wasn't really shown in the film beats me.

I did find it pretty funny that it's this huge deal for Paul to ride his first one and then a little later in the movie they're treated as basically a train ride, public transportation for the Fremen.

i mean, it's a huge deal for peeps to get driver's licenses, too, in driving countries

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Deptfordx posted:

They mention in the book you ride the worm until it tires, then it slows down and you can just roll it sideways and hop off.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

Right, thanks. I think that was a wise change for the new films, IIRC it's never really mentioned that the Landsraad or space witches or human computers are dosing all the time too - I might be wrong but I think they even cut out the health effects of spice and left it as just "vital to space travel" for the Guild. Simplifies things and really drives home the oil allegory. Am I right about this? Paul's little educational hologram doesn't even mention that the Navigators use it to help them fold space?

I forgot withdrawal was fatal too, drat.

they definitely say the spice has enormous health benefits including long life

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Mister Speaker posted:

It's easier and safer when you’re not doing it alone. In the book Stilgar reprimands Paul for not asking for assistance when he almost hosed it up.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Mister Speaker posted:

it's more that fremen learn to conquer the worm as an adolescent rite of passage, paul is learning it much later than normal and as an outsider

calling a big one was a pro move, though

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Riding a sandworm is like driving a car to the Freman. It's a method of transportation that is safe if done properly and loving kills you if you do it badly. Paul was trained and knew everything there was to know but he still was 'driving' for the first time without an assistant. (He'd ridden makers before, just never called and mounted one himself.)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

They showed that one worm stop to take a gander at Paul near the end of the first movie.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

ruddiger posted:

They showed that one worm stop to take a gander at Paul near the end of the first movie.

Yeah I know, I meant like, under Fremen control. Do we even see it for a moment at the last battle?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Very carefully, OP.

This is canon. Was said earlier in this thread or one of the other ones, it's mentioned in the books that you've got to keep riding the worm until it's exhausted, so it doesn't have the energy to turn around and eat you. Fremen use how many worms it takes to reach a destination as an informal measure of distance. Probably passengers hop off at their destination while the rider may sometimes have to circle their destination until the worm is tired enough to dismount.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

OPAONI posted:

This bothers me so much.

They named the third XboxLeto the Xbox OneLeto 2

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

I am extremely serious that one of the most satisfying gently caress Yous in science fiction was properly adapted to the big screen when the completely eradicated Atreides house were seen with flags atop terrifying leviathans the size of skyscrapers and being ridden in like horses.

soooo gooooood

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Ultra Carp

the whole worm is a dick if u try hard enough

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Hell yes Huck’dib riding Lowly-Hulud

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Look at this guy (gal?) I met on the Funeral Plain this morning. He has the Eyes of Ibad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

what do Fremen do all day?