Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Uurggh I tried so hard to read this whole thread before the movie came out Anyways I got to page 420 do y'all think I should read the books or watch the Lynch movie before I see DUNC?

lol jk I've read all six Dune novels multiple times and I'm currently sitting in an IMAX theater waiting for DUNC to start. Talk to y'all about it soon when I actually finish the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

Mentats can be easily defeated by asking them to divide by zero. It makes their eyes go blank and they fall over twitching.
For a less cruel version, ask them to define pi, and slip out the door somewhere around the five hundredth decimal place.

Haha called it!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Guys I did it. I read this entire thread front to back. From the first string of Arrested Dunevelopment jokes to the first mention of thigh pads to the next set of Arrested Dunevelopment jokes to movie rumors to Simpsons/KotH memes and third set of Arrested Dunevelopment jokes. On through the movie coming out and people seeing it in theaters where it was too dark and missing the point somehow and mostly fanboys geeking out all the way to now.

That may sound critical but it was an excellent read and I am so glad to be here at the end.

Ranked:
1. Dune
2. GEoD
3. Heretics
4. Messiah
5. CoD
6. Chapterhouse

And DUNC is better than Lynch's although I enjoy them both as mostly a SF and Dune fan (rather than cinema fan)

Unprocessed spice should be blue/violet and the gas should be orange.

*Sexily free climbs a wall out*

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

:ibadpop:

You missed the jokes about Dune: Desert Planet and variants - those are my favorite part of the entire thread, although I think when I read through it, it was only like 100 pages.

Yeah I liked those and honestly all the sitcom title jokes too. At almost every derail, however, someone would mention stillsuit function and "rerail" the thread quickly back to talking about poop.

haha I wonder what the seitch smells like haha

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Armauk posted:

Congratulations. I'm reading through Messiah now. Is the series worth reading in its entirety, or can one stop after GEoD?

I don't understand all this prescriptivist stuff about not reading some of the books. Like, are you curious about what happens next? Keep reading! All of Frank's books are at least good.

The correct way to acquire the books is for a dollar or less at a used book store so it's not like there's a barrier to entry.

Caveat: If you're still curious at the end of Chapterhouse then you're S.O.L. because no other books exist in the Dune universe

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I can't think of any reason that wouldn't be pseudoscientific. Maybe it lets the furnace-like heat out and it melts sand causing friction? It'd be tough to stand next to a cracked open furnace like that though.

Maybe the worms get some sort of infection from sand plankton or an imported species and their genetic memory keeps open wounds above sand.

Also, is there a quote of how hard the scales are? Maybe worms just aren't as armored as I remember and they are always portrayed as too dragon-y instead of like earth worms.

It's all speculation anyways, although a whale attacked with a harpoon often won't dive, paradoxically. It will pull and stay near the surface. Perhaps there's some Moby Dick influence I've missed?

"What is the name of the early Arabic Muslim prophet that lives in the desert?"
"Ishmael"
"Call me Ishmael"

:monocle:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Re: wormriding

I know that they keep their open flaps topside, but the irritating part to me is why does sand bother sand worms?

They literally move through it and filter it internally! I know the answer is "science fiction" but it just seems wrong.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Just have them make pearls like oysters and be done with it

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I guess the fact that distances can be measured in thumpers means that there are limits to how irritated a worm can get. They could show a worm going "ya know what? gently caress this" and starting to dive despite the hooks after a time of being ridden. Or, like bull riding, have exceptionally cranky or difficult-to-ride worms. Lynch kinda did something similar with the whole "Usul has called a big one" thing.

I'm chuckling to myself imagining D2NC having such a detailed and explanatory wormriding sequence that nerds start simulating it like Quidditch or lightsaber duels.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I think adding the conservatory would have gone a long way to show water discipline via contrast. It would also have been a nice pop of color saturation contrast to Arrakis shots. Show Jessica audibly gasping at the same time the seals *hiss* open and vapor billows out. Maybe a disapproving servant scowling in the background as she enters and the cloud disperses enough to show hints of what's inside (orchids, birds of paradise, etc)

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Not to mention the persistent drip drip of the cistern water in visions throughout the movie

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Vampire Panties posted:

If you had to choose between one lynch thing for new Dunc

milking the poison cat

or

heartplugs

Lightning surrounding the sand worms

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Na'at posted:

I really wanted to like this movie but it was as bland as washing white bread down with water. I get not wanting to go crazy with exposition but unless you go in to this knowing all about the universe there's so much to pick apart in this I can't understand who it's meant to appeal to.

If you're a budding young nerd and this is your first experience of Dune you're gonna wonder where the hell all the robots are, why come they don't use their super awesome lasers more than twice in the whole movie, why Fremen don't have shields, why that guys eyes roll back in his head, or why the Atreidies army is special enough for the emperor to care. If you come in to it as a Dune fan it should make you wonder why the Sardukar showed up to Arrakis in completely different armor than the Harkonnen soldiers they were meant to be impersonating ("SARDUKAR Behind us!"lmaooo)? Why were they shooting a loving lazgun at Duncan's shielded 'thopter? Why is the Lady Jessica, super human product of a centuries long breeding program and a life time of study in self control as well as mind/body awareness a bigger bundle of shivering nerves and anxiety than a Jewish granny in an Adam Sandler flick?

BR2049 looked gorgeous this just looked so loving boring aside from when Chani would show up for a quick Oil of Olay commercial shot. People give the miniseries poo poo for it's costuming but at least I can believe that an over-rich future royalty would dress in outrageous colors and hats, in this it's all monochrome and motorcycle gloves. gently caress.

At least part 2 is already green light for completions sake.

Get outta here Brian

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Bubblyblubber posted:

Spend less on heart-plugged slaves

Never!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Roko's basilisk is literal 400 meter worms led by a prosthetic interspecies penis murdering billions across the galaxy. Yeah, this tracks actually.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Literal superhuman calculating abilities shown in real time. When I got home and did the math to confirm it blew my mind

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Next time I go to see a Dennis Villeneuve movie I'm gonna bring my abacus just so I can keep up

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

kalel posted:

uh if you thought that was easy you should take the Mensa test, you might be in the top .1% of human IQ friendo

The kiwsatz haderach!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Also well fed and equipped soldiers fight better, sure, but also steppe folk have invaded stable cultures successfully so it's absolutely possible. I'm conclusion Dune is a land of contrasts

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah, 62k solarii/gram is for your pure grade-a artisanal poo poo. Most people just pick up a tub of Navigator's Choice™ Processed Melange Substance at the local CHOAM's Club and call it good enough.

PBUC(HOAMCo)

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Woah what if spice extends life BY inducing limited prescience? Like the tiny amount of foresight helps avoid small household accidents and slip-and-falls thus statistically extending average lifespan like a claims adjuster.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Rereading again and when Paul meets the Shadout and saves her from the hunter-seeker:

"He paused for the mnemonic blink that would store the pattern of her face in his memory -- prune-wrinkled gestures darkly browned, blue-on-blue eyes without any white in them. He attached the label: The Shadout Mapes"

So the mentat blink is in the book too, which I can't tell makes it cooler or less so. Also it would be nice to see Muad'dib do it in part two. I think it would be enough to show he has mentat capabilities without saying "oh by the way he's also THIS kind of super human"

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Can someone with knowledge of Greek roots tell me what "Ampoliros" is emulating? I can only see the in-book explanation from Orthodox sources and some grey fuzzy stuff about KJA that my mind won't obliterate fully

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah I love the implications of the reference itself but was wondering about the actual linguistic roots?

E: my best guess is like an ampoule or amphora full of music (from lyra or lyre). Maybe a container of song or Pandora's box? Funny answer: So an iPod

Soul Dentist fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 19, 2021

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I love the NFL but those arena pads are pretty cool

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I definitely read 'pumping' as 'pumpkin' on multiple rereads. Might be a little grosser but not much

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Mozi posted:

what if SNL did a sketch where it's dune except the the spice is pumpkin spice

There's something that would be too long and boring to watch for sure

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I can't believe I had to learn that this existed from the RIP lowtax thread:

https://calvinanddune.tumblr.com/

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Earwicker posted:

re: world building i recommend gene wolfe. book of the new sun and and book of the long sun are both fascinating series' and i think any fan of the world building in the dune books would enjoy what he does

Particularly the natural by-the-wayside nature of letting the reader in verrrry slowly but through awesome AHA moments. Like the currency in the Book of the Long Sun being these golden cards with intricate patterns on them that turn out to be circuit boards cannibalized from the generation ship the entire story is set on

E: I think Gene Wolfe matches Herbert's tone and pacing well too. Also that's a serious spoiler so don't click if you haven't read them yet and plan to

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Hey look six hundred plus pages of enthusiastic discussion of a book and the movie adaptations. Let me skip to the end to deliver my completely baseless and uneducated opinion and then*faaaart* call someone a nerd. That'll start the morning off right *shits on the floor*

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Peggy Edson posted:

dUnE Is bAd

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
It's actually canon that the water world failson wrote about is the same one depicted in the SpongeBob Cinematic Universe

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

The Bloop posted:

WHOOOOOOOO lives on a planet where there is no sea

Mahdi Muad'Dib!

Prescient and Ducal and Weirding is he

Mahdi Muad'Dib!

If galactic jihad is something you wish

Mahdi Muad'Dib!

Then join with the fremen and speak like a fish

Making sure this gets on another page for beautiful posterity

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Lmao that Harah's first husband -- before Jamis -- is just named Geoff. What an ex-husband name.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Mozi posted:

it refers to the sandy twin-sunned desert planet of Tatooine

That's actually Dune's monster, not the Dr. Dune of the tile

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Man that's the joke format that gets me every time. I love it!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
This is extremely reading between the lines but I always assumed the Harkonnen peasants lived pretty unremarkable lives, if a little shittier than under the Atreides. It always seemed like the closer to the Baron or na-Baron someone got the more likely they'd be swept up in plots within plots. This applies to spice production, so anybody on Arrakis was gonna have a hard time while Rabban the Baron squeezed them dry, but like whalers on Geidi Prime were paid fine and lived mercantile feudal existences.

If you were on the other side of the planet that is. If Feyd saw your daughter son and thought they'd make a good pleasure slave you'd be without recourse. I guess what I mean is that ol' Frank made a big deal in the book about the differences in leadership and how it made a military impact, but not really a day to day for laymen besides "ah ah the people loved the Old Duke." The Baron don't care as long as the spice flows, so there were probably some big ecological niches to fill out there on G1

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
The point that Feyd was beloved by the masses while dueling slaves was really good. It definitely shows that Geidi Prime isn't some sort of Hell World and real people live on it. Ruled by sadists in a feudal fiefdom, but they're real people and their needs are at least mostly being met

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
In literary terms, it would be as a foil to the Atreides to emphasize their positive leadership qualities. But just the offhand stuff the reader gets about the Harkonnens is enough and any more would add to the bloat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I think Lynch's most exciting and most buffoonish choices were in portraying the Harkonnen as cartoonishly, mustache-twirlingly evil. It makes sense in a movie to show why the baddies are bad, but his portrayal violates Herbert's weird magical ability to make the reader take things at face value and rationalize them. It makes for excellent watching and raises the right emotions in the immediate sense, but loses the sinister meaningfulness of the Baron in the middle of (SUCCESSFULLY) plotting to retake Arrakis and murder the Duke.