Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Moo-add Dee..........Buh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
tastes like rear end... and dirt.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Doc Hawkins posted:

He has to make up the language of The Voice which will shatter stones, start fires, and suffocate an enemy where he stands

Gonna do some pimpass poo poo, break the ground with my voice and make his eyes turn hhhwwwwHIIIITE!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

SniperWoreConverse posted:

fuckin how are you going to fight or have any interaction with shai hulud with a catheter in

We Fremen have a saying: "God created Arrakis to train the faithful." Which means extensive rear end play training so you can learn to fight with a giant funnel up your butt.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Temaukel posted:

Why are some navigators normal looking while others are so mutated? is there a ranking system? is it a gradual change? are they all mutated but they disguise themselves?

in the movie, they refer to the weird hosed up navigator as a "third-stage navigator." the idea is they get mutated as they spend more time immersed in spice. there were going to be second-stage navigators too but they ran out of money. for the real dune head cosplayers out there...

I think that's something they added for the movie, IIRC it's different in the books.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Edric gets even more offputting when you find out what he wears:

"The Guild Navigator wore his usual dark leotard bulging at the belt with various containers. Yet . . . he gave the impression of nakedness when he moved. It was the swimming, reaching movements, Scytale decided, and he was struck once more by the delicate linkages of their conspiracy."

A hovering fish-man rocking 80s athleisure and tactical fanny packs.

glub glub

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Temaukel posted:

Nice beard Javier:

was gonna do a stilgar/chigurh mashup but I couldn't make it work.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

edit: *pewpew*

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
from the screenplay:

"Rabban breaks open a squood (living food). The squood makes a tiny SCREAM, then Rabban drinks the blood and bodily fluids. He throws the empty container of tiny animal meat into the dark water trough running through the center of the room."

more weird grossness that was added for the film.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
my mouth tastes like rear end... and dirt.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

sebmojo posted:

Cyberiad owns

Cyberiad is so full of puns and wordplay that I can't believe anyone could translate it at all, much less have it turn out well. genius level poo poo.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
arrakis... dune... desert planet...

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Tree Bucket posted:

Incidentally, do any of the words in the CHOAM acronym actually mean anything? Are they just space gibberish? Combine and Mercantiles make sense at least.

I approve of this post/username combo

some rando internet person posted:

To the best of my knowledge, the term is never explicitly explained in Dune/EU canon (including Dune Encyclopedia), nor on Wiki and other Dune resources.

It is a typical mishmash of "European-Indo-Slavic" language roots that characterize Galach language and Imperial institutions overall, in the case mostly seemingly French and German and Latin roots.

Combine - Latin and later French root, meaning to unite. In this case, it means both a union (in the modern sense of "company"), as well as possible reference to the duality of the union (bi part of latin root) hinting at the origins of CHOAM in the tension between Spacing Guild and Imperium

Honnete comes from Middle French (and Late Latin) root for "honest"/"honorable". The latter is a typical honorific for top classes (which CHOAM was - directors were Landsraad house leads); while the former hints at equitable resolution for abovementioned tensions between Spacing Guild and Landsraad.

Ober is of course from Old German for "super"/"very"/"upper".

Advancer (Old French with Late Latin roots again) is most likely "advancement"/"acceleration"/"promotion" based on CHOAM's purpose.

Mercantiles (French via Latin, again) is trade or items of trade.

In total, the best translation I can pick is "Honest/Honorable union for promotion of greater/higher trade".

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
speaking of intelligent animals, the sequel to Children of Time, Children of Ruin, just came out and it seems to be very good based on what I've read of it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Stilgar: "We call that one Babs Olusanmokun."

Paul: "Could I be known as Paul Babs Olusanmokun?"

Stilgar: "You are Paul Babs Olusanmokun."

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

the likes of which even GAWD has never seen!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
my research into the mechanics of feces processing by stillsuits has as of yet born no fruit. but I did uncover this interesting tidbit from the Dune encyclopedia:

quote:

From the earliest designs, stillsuits for women were constructed differently from those of the men: in addition to the thigh pads which processed urine and feces, the women's suits included a third processing unit for reclaiming the water lost in menstrual blood. In the later, even more efficient versions, these units kept female water loss on a par with that of the male, in spite of their physiological handicap.

I am of the opinion that the Freman ate their own feces to recycle the residual spice found therein. there was a bit that got left on the editing table from the first book where Paul has to eat a turd as a form of initiation rite.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I have learned that there are people who have jammed tattoo needles into their eyeballs in an attempt to gain the Eyes of Ibad. this is a bad idea. do not do it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
what do Fremen use for toilets, is this known? obv they don't use flushing toilets. too much water. plenty of sand though. litterbox?

Stilgar, inspecting the litterbox after Paul has just laid waste to it: "Usul has called a big one!"

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
who could have known that the best content on here would be a thread about an old science fiction book that is filled with jokes about eating poop.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I don't know if any of the life on the planet is meant to be native to it. IIRC Leto says that even the sandworms were transplanted there from somewhere else. the sandtrout sucked up all the water and caused the original ecosystem to disappear.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

quote:

Dune: The Sisterhood counts among its executive producers representatives from the Frank Herbert estate, and along with that star-studded 2020 movie (which, if all goes according to plan, will be the first of two Dune films), the series is a signal that Legendary Entertainment is planning to push ahead with what THR calls a “larger plan for Dune, which also includes video games, digital content packages and comic book series.”

Paradox, you know what you have to do...

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
:question::question::question::question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu4nvv93T30

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
do sandworms poop? asking for a friend.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0aqOhDotP0

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I think prevailing wisdom is that the Fremen are a handful of backwards desert dwelling cavemen. they don't know that there are millions of them or that they have high tech equipment and a bunch of underground weapons factories.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I listened to the audio book of it recently after not reading it since junior high school, mostly because I'm allowing myself to get slightly hyped about the Villeneuve film. still good. though the audio is weird, it constantly shifts between having individual actors voice characters and having it done by one narrator. kind of jarring.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

The Bloop posted:

Dune the t-shirt
Dune the lunchbox
Dune the coloring book
Dune the breakfast cereal

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

vivisectvnv posted:

umm i want these super bad!

you can get the coloring book "new" on Amazon for the low low price of $121.95.

or you can print this out: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bIv9L26RtXBkzRIUXCisncVDhLj-yLCz/view?usp=sharing

there were a bunch of these, inexplicably, including fun puzzle activity books for young sardaukar in training!

and a gd pop-up book.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
tee hee

https://twitter.com/Askforken/status/1145792661699403777?s=20

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

exmachina posted:

I hope they don't combine rabban and feyd. I can see them doing it because it reduces the number of characters easily and brushes some more problematic aspects of the Baron under the carpet.

Also the fact that they have a big-time name for Rabban, who is not actually in many scenes...

look on the bright side, if they combine the characters maybe we will see Dave Bautista in the Feyd underpants.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still want to eat Fallout Mentats.

+

https://www.etsy.com/market/mentats

results may vary.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Defiance Industries posted:

I thought Leto didn't have a choice but to take Arrakis? Wasn't the Emperor ordering him to relocate there?

yeah, if the Emperor offers you a "gift" you don't get to say "thanks but no thanks."

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Infinite Karma posted:

I'm pretty sure the ships fold space and time. But flying faster than the speed of light means it's really hard to navigate, so seeing the future is the only way to see where you're going.

right, they use prescience to analyze their future travel route to make sure they aren't going to drive right smack into the side of an asteroid.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Temaukel posted:

wait, what
then what the gently caress is a muad'dib

what the gently caress indeed! there are many reasons why people do not like @duneauthor. you have showcased but one of them. he just doesn't give a poo poo.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

skasion posted:

Hellstrom’s Hive is fun

in which you can discover an extremely nasty version of the Axolotl tank concept.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/DankDuneMemes/status/1137104931264106499?s=20

https://twitter.com/DankDuneMemes/status/1131846495744008192?s=20

https://twitter.com/HikerYote/status/1000194874170380288?s=20

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Mister Speaker posted:

Sorry to derail orgychat (though yeah that is mad gross that Leto and Ghanima got right into it, aren't they supposed to be like 12 in CoD?), but there's something I wanted to bring up after my latest re-read of the first book but forgot:

Paul and Chani had a kid before Leto... right? I mean the child is talked about, but apparently is killed by Sardaukar or something? Am I remembering this correctly? Previously I had thought that this kid was Leto and totally forgot that Chani tells Paul he was killed. Did Paul not at all forsee this in his prescience, or am I totally misremembering? What is the point of the kid, other than a plot device to make Paul rage out at the Emperor?

his first son, also named leto, was killed by Sardaukar, yes. I can't remember if they explain why he didn't prevent it, though. maybe someone who has read it more recently can chime in.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Vlex posted:

Seeing a few things on social media about filming for Dune 1: The First (Part One) having wrapped. I guess this time next year the hype machine will be in full swing.

yup

https://twitter.com/SecretsOfDune/status/1152710712944398336?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I don't know anything about these guys, I just read about them the other day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liHfEs2jP8k