Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Dune rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

The Bloop posted:

A "good amount" I can't really argue with I guess. I certainly won't claim to have read most sci-fi or even most of the Important Classics probably, but in my sample it's not even a noticable percentage where facists are the protagonists. It's usually plucky underdogs vs The Man.

I'd actually be more prone to agree with you if you said there was a bias toward insane libertarianism.

Fascists love to write military sci-fi. Insane libertarians are a single step removed from fascists and are more than happy to step over the line in their writing.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

PTSDeedly Do posted:

To some extent what I’m asking is: does this book have a reliable narrator or is it structured as though the events within already are legend

Despite the fact that a bunch of philosophizing about legend occurs within

Also, it’s not just me, Paul turns into a major dick, right?

Read Dune Messiah and Children of Dune, Paul being awful and conflicted is a big part of his character.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Defiance Industries posted:

I believe that's supposed to be an intentional example of hypocrisy.

It's certainly pretty arrogant of them to assume that while all the myths they sneaked onto other planets are bullshit for their own benefit while their own religious myth is totes real

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
The miniseries loving suckz

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Unfortunately Herbert's books tend to use gay men exclusively as villains. Isn't Baron Harkonen a gay pedophile?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

basic hitler posted:

Well, the fish speakers could be argued to have a large gay contingent and were emplopyed as a 'progressive' peacekeeping force intended to keep the raping and collateral damage required to reign as an undying despot to a minimum.

Sure. It's a series from the 70s and some homophobia isn't the worth thing to have to put up with in an old sci-fi novel.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

cis autodrag posted:

While I agree with you for the most part, I will say that as a trans gay woman it can sometimes be hard to separate the author from the work when the author is the kind of person who'd like to see me dead. In Herbert's case I think he just had old timey views on women and sex combined with some serious brain syphilis so it never ruined Dune for me, but there's other sci-fi authors who obviously view people like me as subhuman and I can't read them.

Yeah, Herbert is no where near the worst of the genre or time even if he's not perfect. Certainly doesn't hurt to discuss it or give people a heads up.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

basic hitler posted:

I go sideways and start skimming when anything weird about sex shows up in Dune, i don't want to even exclude discussion of that side of things, but nobody should be writing off frank herbert, and i've seen people who act absolutely detestable when you get them sitting down and talking do absolutely incredibly undeniably good things blindly and without regard to who they're helping. I don't think most people who say and think absolutely retarded poo poo are iredeemable for it because I've seen better. You've probably been helped by people you'd get really mad at if you talked to them at length about politics or LGBT issues. This life is fundamentally dirty, unjust, and good people are in it together even when genetics, environment, and upbringing scramble who we all are in completely unpredictible ways.

I regret launching into this in dune thread but i just measure people by how they act when they're least in control, high pressure or uncommon situations. As far as im concerned most people are poo poo when idle
And many people ive suspected of being terrible being pretty drat good when their adrenaline is running. I cant really qualify people when i dont know what they do except talk about politics.

Holy poo poo if you're that offended then just leave the thread

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

basic hitler posted:

i'm not offended, just talking man

I'd rather you didn't since your last post is complete word salad

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Vavrek posted:

Alright so I'm really confused about how multiple people have talked about The Jesus Incident but no one has mentioned Destination: Void, the much more compact and tightly written (and not coauthored) Herbert book that preceded it and set up the whole subsequent trilogy.

I bought The Jesus Incident from a library for $1 and did not know it was part of a trilogy until like 2 years after I read it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

The Bloop posted:

Wow, same. I found out in this thread, actually.

Maybe it had a longer print run than the other books in the series or something

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Dune Lynch is loving incredible and I hope that the new Dune movie 1) comes out and 2) takes a whole lot from Lynch

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Iron Prince posted:

Brian Herbert is a gently caress

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Sten Freak posted:

Finished the book, reading the appendixes.

The ending was really abrupt. Minor complaint compared to the book as a whole.

I've seen bits of the movie but never watched it all the way through. Fairly recently I caught it on and watched about 5 minutes. There was some terrible, terrible CGI or green screen work with Paul and Freemen riding a worm and shooting pistols saying killing words or something, which by the way I don't recall being in the book -at all-. I still want to watch the whole thing sometime.

Also, :ughh:

Yeah David Lynch's Dune turned the Weirding Way into Weirding Modules because they thought that it would look too much like a kung fu movie if they kept it as a martial art.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
The Weirding Way is basically DBZ teleport fighting

*zwee* *zwee* PUNCH *zwee*

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

SmokaDustbowl posted:

BORN TO RULE
ARRAKIS IS A gently caress
Kill em all 21592
I am Fremen
410,757,864,530 DEAD HARKONEN

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Milky Moor posted:

This is true

I still need to finish Children so I can get to God Emperor

I stopped at God Emperor and felt it was a decent ending to the story. One day I'll finish chapterhouse/heretics/hunters but IDK when.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Remember when they turned folding space into a Star Wars hyperdrive

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Really though? I think the shooting and terminators are a depressingly much more realistic vision of what's to come.

Nah that's loving trite

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Dyna Soar posted:

star wars is a kiddified rip off of a myriad of awesome older scifi, namely dune and valerian. star wars, apart from empire strikes back, is actually pretty drat underwhelming apart from the art direction which is great throughout the first trilogy. also mostly stolen.

Be fair, it also took a lot from samurai movies like The Hidden Fortress and WWII fighter aces. The real strength of Star Wars is that it combines all these disparate genres into one cohesive package.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Dyna Soar posted:

sure, but to be fair jodorowskys vision had nothing to do with the source material, so it would have been dune in name only.

Frank Herbert liked Jodorowsky's script IIRC

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

skasion posted:

Curious, what other Dune music would you recommend or discommend? My favorite is probably Bernard Szajner’s Visions of Dune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ7z57qrZU8

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
https://twitter.com/gibsoncomics/status/989937810768621568

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Paul is a Twunk

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

How does spice smuggling even work if all travel is Guild travel? Is it just sneaking the spice through customs and onto the orbital shuttles as lower-tariff items? Jadorowski's dune was going to have space pirate ships with rad psychedelic paint jobs, which is too awesome to be inconvenienced by trivialities like space travel not working like that in Dune.

Hell, didn't he not even read the book, and just sort of skim it or read a synopsis? I seem to remember that from the documentary.

IIRC Jodorowsky had a dream that was very similar to Dune, decided to adapt it into a movie, found out about Dune and then decided to use Dune to adapt his dream.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

exmachina posted:

Kinda like what happened to another favourite sci-fi of mine Starship Troopers

The big difference is that Dune is a good book with a mediocre movie while Starship Troopers is a good movie with a terrible book.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Doc Hawkins posted:

You don't have to disagree with Starship Troopers to know it's boring and bad.

Yeah, politics aside it loving sucks, it has 2 decent action scenes and the rest is tedium.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Dune 2: Hyperdune

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I would have loved to see a Lynch directed 80s wire kung fu fight scene

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

paul_soccer10 posted:

In the movie when they first get to dune Paul eats a jumbo rolling paper worth of spice that must have been like 100 billion dollars worth

Hell yeah Muad'dib can party

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

I wonder if that's an actual cover image from one of his books. Talk about the most simplistic interpretation of the jihad possible.

It's

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Dume

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Shaddak posted:

I think they primarily feed on sand plankton.

Yeah, they eat sand plankton and the adults are very territorial so they attack anything that might be another adult digging in their territory (presumably they dig rhythmically.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I call my rear end Shai Hulud because I want Kyle MacLachlan to ride it

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

Someone said the best Dune is the one from a dusty old bookshop, these are the ones I have been reading at the moment.

Something I noticed at the end of Dune that I don't recall coming up again was a remark about future threats to the throne possibly coming from a bastard child of Feyd. Not that it needs to come up again or anything, but I did find it interesting that I hadn't thought about it or noticed it in the 10 or so previous times reading the book.

Oh poo poo, I have the same copy of the first Dune

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Halloween Jack posted:

Serious talk though, from all the sources I've seen, what Herbert actually envisioned w/r/t the Butlerian Jihad is the surveillance state we're living in now.

Time to do drugs in the desert

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Ugly In The Morning posted:

They promised to “reunite him with his wife”, didn’t they? That’s the most obvious way of saying “lol we already killed her and we’ll kill you when the job is done” and he still went along with it.

I thought it was implied he knew he'd get murdered

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Piter had a blog titled "Welcome to my Twisted Mind"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Halloween Jack posted:

The glossary at the back of Dune mentions ships designed to Constructicon themselves together and attack strongpoints by falling on them. I think Paul mentions them once, in passing. It never comes up again.

I love the dune glossary