Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Citrus (the rare Overt Yuri show, though I've heard decisively mixed things about it)

It's quite silly (in the unintentional way). I remember it relying heavily on random drama bombs (like a character suddenly having cancer or something) and contrived misunderstandings as a substitute for an overarching plot. It might have been OK if they hadn't tried to make it a serious drama in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

That's overstating it, the random drama bombs are of the 'oh someone else has a crush on my crush oh no' level not 'suddenly people have cancer'. Unless anything has happened recently anyway.

I read the first few chapters a few years ago; I may be misremembering.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Crain posted:

Antarctica SoL - Heard about this randomly last year when I had a chance to go down there for work.

Down to Japan or down to Antarctica?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

The rights to the show were non-exclusive, meaning whoever wants it can have it.

They should do that more often. The proliferation of streaming services makes exclusive licenses a pain for viewers.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

The best anime this season is Cardcaptor Sakura

I started watching the original series in preparation for the new one, and it's pretty enjoyable so far.

Definitely better that the last shojo magical girl series I've watched, Sailor Moon Crystal. (I've seen people say that Sakura isn't really a magical girl because she doesn't transform, but as her staff transforms with a light show when she activates its powers, this seems rather nitpicky.) Kerberos seems remarkably incompetent, which is clever writing in a way; the more a magical girl mascot character seems like an adult in a rodent's body, the more they seem like an rear end in a top hat for making children fight their battles for them (/人◕‿‿◕人\), so he needs to be childishly dumb in order to be likable. Sakura's reluctance to collect the cards surprised me, although it's a perfectly rational response. My only complaint is that Tomoyo is a bit one-note; she's almost completely defined by her fawning over Sakura. Although Tomoyo proposing bad ideas that Kerberos agrees with is funny in an unexpectedly subtle way.

Edit: Also, Tomoyo did most of the work of getting the Shadow card.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 13, 2018

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Going by the writeup on ANN, he was tricked into it and the heroine kills the attempted rapists. Still feels sleazy, especially for a fanservice-heavy show.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Anime Awards nominees are up!

http://www.theanimeawards.com/#nominees

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

That one person who posted in the shoujo thread about how steven universe was better lgbt representation than anything in the entire medium of anime and manga

Obviously that's a hot take that ignores the existence of things like Wandering Son, My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness, etc., but if you're only comparing to mainstream shonen and shojo stuff, I can understand why someone would think that.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

I remember getting a vague impression of GuP as some weird fetish war thing years ago and then actually watching it and it's less problematic/sexually charged than most sports stories I've seen, lol

Girls und Panzer is an actually good show. Upotte is gross, though. I've never tried KanColle, and have no particular desire to.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
This weekend is the last chance to vote for the Anime Awards: http://www.theanimeawards.com

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Anime Awards winners are up: http://www.theanimeawards.com

I'm a bit disappointed by Land of the Lustrous's performance; I thought it had a good shot at Best Animation, at least. At least it won Best CGI, a category that seems basically created for it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The general rule seems to be that crossover specials are common, but "canon" crossovers are rare. This is probably wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Is this like the last sub forum you're not banned from posting in or something

I'll be fair to BotL and say that his effortposts in TBB are often insightful even if they're annoyingly smug. But a lot of his posting, especially in the Internet Critic Thread, is just trolling.

• Locked thread