Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Would this be an OK place to start if I've never played an EDF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Pretty good but no Monolith 6/10
(Get Dead Cells maybe? Dead Cells is great. D:OS2 is amazing but it's only 10% off.)

Kragger99 posted:

It's a bit different from the previous versions, and latest one (EDF 4.1), but yeah, it's a decent place to start. It can be played solo, but co-op is the preferred way to play them.

I'd suggest watching a few videos of it online first to see if it looks like fun to you. Be warned, they are known for their jank.

I've seen some gameplay before and have been interested in trying one, so that sounds good thanks.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I don't really have any money again this year, but I still managed to pick up EDF:Insect Armageddon and Deathstate and gift a few people who've been good to me this year some cheap games, so I'm fairly happy regardless. Everyone should get Monolith and Jydge if they have any interest in twinsticks, and Hollow Knight if they have any interest in Metroidvanias.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

They stopped, all prices will stay the same until the end of the sale as far as anyone knows.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

If you like Uplink, Hacknet is a more linear, puzzleish based take on hacking that has a really cool feel. It's currently 50% off.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

I you're bored enough to take a look at my wishlist and suggest something else, by all means go ahead, I'd appreciate any input.
I haven't played WotC so I can't speak to how much it improves things, but XCOM 2 on its own is still a hell of a lot of fun and can last you a long time. Off your wishlist, Rayman Legends is a fantastic platformer with a really nice flow, if you end up getting a couple of smaller games. Oh, if Divinity Original Sin 2 is within your budget... it's not very discounted, so I can understand wanting to wait, but it really is fantastic. Especially if you like turn based RPGs.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Can anyone recommend a game with the very specific limitations of
- can run on a terrible laptop that can't even run a lot of modern 2D games, let alone 3D ones (e.g. can do Cook, Serve, Delicious and Civ IV, can't do Hearthstone or Darkest Dungeon)
- is turn based
- is playable windowed
- is £5 or less

I realise this is pretty restrictive but I figure it's worth a shot.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I'm not sure if it would run, but I might give it a go if I can't find anything else.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

868-HACK looks interesting, I'll probably go for that. Thanks!

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Thanks for the recommendations everyone, it turns out I might not "need" to rely on the Bad Laptop anyway, but if I end up having to I've got a few good ideas now. I played the hell out of Frozen Synapse when it first came out, that game is great.

I've beaten roguelikes that I believe are considered harder than Sproggiwood, but the twinned enemies just mess me up and I gave up trying to deal with them a couple of levels from the end.

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 26, 2017

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

McCoy Pauley posted:

Can anyone say anything by way of recommendation for either Card Quest or Unexplored? The Rock Paper Shotgun reviews of both seem quite promising, and I often find my tastes syncing up with RPS recommendations, but the art styles of the games are not immediately appealing to me.

I've played a couple of Unexplored so far, and I'm enjoying it. It's a great blend of traditional roguelike exploration and experimentation with some Zelda-ish puzzles and combat. There seem to be a lot of interactions and cool stuff you can do. I did a bigger first impressions post here, but if you want some classic-feeling dungeon crawling presented in a new way, I'd recommend it.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

-Blackadder- posted:

Been out of the loop since the last sale, what games are worth picking up this go round? (My profile will have all my owned, wishlisted, prefered genre (based on playtime) games. But real quick...
  • LIKES: RPG's, 4x, Turn-based Tactical, flashy action, relaxing (think Stardew Valley).
  • DISLIKES (aka Games I never end up playing): puzzle, walking simulators...

You don't seem to own Invisible Inc, but it's not on your wishlist?

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Ganson posted:

Is Borderlands 2 GOTY worth if if you're not going to do multiplayer? I never looked at this for that reason and it's kinda a DLC palooza but the fact that they used Everybody Wang Chung Tonight for the trailer is a huge plus to me.

I personally had a lot of fun playing it through several times in single player, but I might be in the minority there.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Between all of them I'd say either Talos, New Vegas, or Hollow Knight. They are all fantastic games in their genres and provide a tremendous amount of "bang" for your buck.

Yeah exactly this.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Cantorsdust posted:

Hollow Knight--the best of the 2D Dark Souls. Gorgeous and haunting environments. Clever combat, although personally it feels a little floaty to me.

I wouldn't call Hollow Knight a 2D Dark Souls, certainly not in the same way that Salt & Sanctuary is. There are obviously elements of Hollow Knight inspired by Dark Souls, but it doesn't have the RPG aspects, or the emphasis on combat and replaying very hard sections and bosses until you learn them and it does have a lot more platforming and an even bigger focus on exploration - basically, it's a metroidvania that takes inspiration from Dark Souls among other things. I love them both, but saying HK is a 2D Dark Souls gives the wrong expectations IMO.

In particular, there is a lot of combat and some hard bosses in Hollow Knight, but it's a lot simpler and closer to Castlevania fights than anything in Dark Souls.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

It would definitely be nice to have a seperate list for tracking things you are kind of interested in but not sure if you actually want though. Like a wishlist and a watchlist. Since my family tend to buy me a game off my wishlist on occasion and in some cases have no other way to tell if something is actually maybe good, I just keep mine for things I would not be disappointed to get as a gift.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I've gotten $12.78 in car money (with a few more dollars likely on the way) and I'm probably going to pick up Dishonored: Death Of the Outsider if I hit that $14.99 point. Maybe. I'm also heavily considering just getting Caves Of Qud and some Rocksmith DLC.

I think if you've ever enjoyed a traditional roguelike (Nethack, ADOM, Angband etc.) you're pretty much guaranteed to have a great time with CoQ. Try reading a few of the achievements if you haven't already.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Xander77 posted:

So, last day of sale. What are you recommendations for games that would otherwise fly under people's radars?

Echoing Monolith, Mini Metro, Invisible Inc and 80 Days, I'd also add (sticking to stuff that I haven't seen talked about in this thread much):

Slime-San, a better Super Meat Boy-style platformer than The End is Nigh - £5.84
Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes, a game that blends strategy and puzzle mechanics really well - £2.95
A House of Many Doors, Sunless Sea-esque blend of exploration and choose your own adventure elements with better pacing - £1.99
The Floor is Jelly, a short, quirky platformer with a fun gimmick - £0.69

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Can you actually just play it as a nature photography simulator? Because that would be pretty great.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Det_no posted:

The devs are fully aware that some people want it. More photography stuff, fishing and some other less huntery stuff were part of expansion ideas listed in a poll offered to players. I think it would be cool, buying lenses and things like that.

I would 100% buy a fleshed out open world photography game with upgrades and missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

My haul was:

Early sale cheap games:
Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon - First mission seemed OK but I'll probably wait until I can play it coop.
Deathstate - Need to go back to this, so far it's interesting.

Christmas gifts:
Night in the Woods - Beaten already, amazing game. Perfect blend of funny, cute and depressing.
Momodora 4 - Working through this slowly, very satisfying gameplay.

Gift train gifts:
Unexplored - I'm doing one or two runs a day, since they're fairly short at the moment. Fun, some really cool ideas but hard to make meaningful progress in so far.
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger - Fantastic gunplay, the shotgun is amazing, this game is good.
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon - I enjoyed this when it first came out on the 360, will enjoy going through it again when I've cleared some of my backlog.
Ori and the Blind Forest - Looks beautiful and controls really smoothly.
Caves of Qud - Probably the best "traditional" roguelike I've played, addictive and wonderfully weird. Also I keep dying, a lot.
Cuphead - I've beaten a bunch of the famously hard games but Cuphead is really making me work for it. Fun to play, so satisfying to beat a level, very very hard.

Xander77 gift:
Tempest - I did a mini-review of this in the Steam thread, I like what it's trying to do but the melee combat is really bad.

Last minute "I just got some money and can't wait until the next sale to play these" panic buys:
Battle Brothers - This is really good and exactly what I hoped. I'm losing a lot of brothers. This sale has made me feel like I'm worse at video games than I thought.
Darkwood - I love the atmosphere and the systems seem interesting. I played up to the start of the first night so I'm curious if that will manage to not be boring.
The Sea Will Claim Everything - The writing and amount of stuff to click on seem great, but I'm putting this off until I've finished some other stuff.

• Locked thread