Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Rex-Goliath posted:

If you ever run into that situation again you should check their twitter feed. They announce downtime and how long it's expected to take.

https://twitter.com/PUBG_help/status/973194202283692032

Sure would be nice if they posted that message in game, though!

That's a really interesting maintenance window.

Just bought this game last night, played 2 games before servers went down, first one I ran for 6 minutes then got shot in the back, second game I ran for 4 minutes then got into a firefight, during said firefight I realized I need to turn down the graphics settings because game turns into a slideshow when shooting starts happening, also died. 10/10 first experience, will run through miles of barren terrain/broken houses again, this is a good B&E sim.

*edit* I also looked for vehicles but never found any that were not blown up, which made me a little sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Blowdryer posted:

drop hacienda and school until you can loot fast and shoot people well. also: military, pochinki, pecado

I need to play with my settings tonight, but I (think) I'll be fine once I get the stuttering when firefighting squared away, coming from CSGO and a lot of other FPS' so it shouldn't be hard to pickup shooty mechanics once I can actually reliably get into a fight. Thanks for the tips though, I was a bit slow with looting because I'm trying to figure out wtf everything is.

Star Man posted:

It's an interesting maintenance window because Bluehole considers China to be their core market. Maintenance is done during the least busiest time in China, which is usually when most Americans are playing.

Did not realize this, it makes sense then, it would be nice if there were serverwide messages that told you maintenance was happening....

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Star Man posted:

There's a lot of things that Bluehole needs to do and the unexpected popularity of this game has utterly crushed this new company.

I have absolutely zero background or knowledge of how to make software or video games and do not pretend to or do I make cheap jabs about it.

Since they own all the servers, at least I don't think you can host your own, they can definitely send system-wide messages, it wouldn't be difficult.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

RIP me 14th place because I jumped out of a speeding vehicle and died, is there a way to bail out without death at high speeds?

did pretty well, setup a trap in a building, had my shotgun + silenced SCAR, killed a guy, left a bunch of loot, snuck up on jerks trying to grab it and shotgunned them in the back, got 3 idiots that way before I had to move.

Turning down my graphics REALLY made a difference, now I can shootmans without lagging like a mofo.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

Since you are coming from CS I would think you have the short range stuff down pretty well and don't need to drop hot if you don't want to. You can get a feel for the weapons by shooting a wall like in CS if you need to. It might be more beneficial for you work on the longer range stuff and how to relocate around the maps and just learning the maps.

A thing to note when coming from CS, you will get "interped" a lot more in this game and so when jiggle peeking/peeking you kind of have to predict when you have been peeking long enough. You can't wait till you see them returning fire since you might already be dead according to the server you just haven't gotten the update on your end yet. Of course if you are happy with your peek just stick it out and kill the dude, but if you feel like jiggling behind cover you got to be wary of this.

e: Oh and concerning jumping out at full speed, that's a no. You can however slide the car sideways into a wall stopping the car instantly and then jump out. If you make a sliding stop near nothing watch out you don't get punted by your own car because it's still rotating a little bit.

I overall like the change in ambient sound but it feels a little quiet. I think they could add some reverb or something to distant gunfire so it kind of lingers more in the air and it would sound cool. Right now it seem like the sounds die to quickly.

Yeah, I've already noticed the interp in game and on streams, thanks for the info though!

interp is also a thing in CS, so I've dealt with the fun of "WTF I never even saw the guy" and "I was behind cover wtfmate"

MF_James fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 14, 2018

MF_James
May 8, 2008

mashed_penguin posted:

If you are in Canada and have an android device you can download the official pubg mobile game now. Its in beta at the moment apparently. Its actually a pretty impressive port but the controls on a touch screen are so amazingly janky. I'm pretty impressed though that it has the full map and all the same gear. It auto loots and equips weapons and attachments etc as you run over them.

Also it looks like as part of their money making model you start with no clothes whatsoever in your inventory so everyone is running around naked.

Why do people actually wear clothes? I enjoy running around in tightie whities, I imagine the character screaming like a loving lunatic every time I get into a fight.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Veritek83 posted:

suggestion: turn on in game voice and actually scream like a loving lunatic

I've thought about it, sadly most fire fights I'm too far away and I don't think people can hear me? What's the range on voice?

Also, my fiancee and dog might hate me if I actually did this.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I love when people chase me, run into building, close door, hide at an odd angle with a shotgun and blast them when they come through.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

There are level 3 helmets/vests? Best I've found are level 2 things, interesting.

Also, getting geared out and then dying because you tripped over your own shoelaces seems very schadenfreude

MF_James
May 8, 2008

very stable genius posted:

This premise is incorrect. It’s not people-shooters versus bushpeople. It’s pochinki-droppers versus bushpeople. Bushpeople are people-shooters, just in a different way. They can both be fun. They can both be tryhards.

Sorry this is so hard for you to understand.

My way or the highway!!!!!!!

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Almost got a chicken dinner but I was a fool and didn't come around a corner ADS, played it like a COD game figuring I could 'quick scope' my AKM as I came around and got ownt for it; had 6 or 7 kills so I was fairly active in the match.

An annoying thing is that on erangel I never loving find vehicles but on the other map I have zero issues, there's always one on the side of the road I can grab after initial gear up, wtfmate

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Well, it's so successful in CSGO, I am going to guess that any shooter with a budget (and those without even) will bring skins into the fold to make truckloads of money.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Hockles posted:

Nothing they have shown leads me to believe that it is going to work the same way as CS:GO. I think that no matter what gun you pick up, whether it is a spawn or looted off a dead guy, it is only going to show your gun skin. So, even if you loot my dead body and I have Green Camo M4, and you pick it up you will only see your Neon Orange M4 skin.

Oh ok, I didn't look at their info about it, that seems kind of stupid though, if other people can't pick up my pink gun named "BonerHiterWeedLord420", what is the point?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Had a few good games last night, I've been dropping into hot spots to see how well I do, provided I don't get turbofucked and choose a building that literally has no guns, I do fairly well. The super busy cities and such I'll usually die after 2-3 kills, if I drop somewhere a little less busy, with maybe 2-3 people at it, I'll come out alive. I did have a really annoying death where I was barely ahead of the circle as it was closing, got maybe a hundred feet into it and then shot in the back because some guy was doing the same thing I was (riding the edge of the circle) except he was slower than me.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

willroc7 posted:

utility belt only or you're a fancy bich

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I should be able to smear mud on my mostly naked self, if they ever invent virtual smelling I'd also want to add poo poo to that.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I have an easier time finding vehicles on miramar, the map isn't terrible but there's a lot of weird empty space that is boring to trudge through when you get unlucky and have no vehicle.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

drunken officeparty posted:

It took me until someone explicitly said it to realize there are different guns on the two maps. I wonder if the new one will have new guns.

I think this is true for maybe 2-3 guns like the DP and 1894, but otherwise they are the same, the couple guns I've noticed that do not appear on the other map are generally bad imo

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Made the final 3 yesterday, but I got caught with my pants down because my sound is kind of hosed, I have issues hearing people run/walk near me and figuring out where they actually are, far away sounds are fine though, anyway, guy got up behind me while running/jumping like an idiot and smoked me pretty standard poo poo but frustrating.

I made top 10 like 4-5 times last night, that includes 2 drops into highly contested areas so I'm starting to get better, I think, or everyone else was really bad which is definitely a possibility when playing at 12-3am

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Why do you want people to pick up your gun and see the pretty skin? I prefer people to see my sexy default skin when they watch the replay of me smoking them.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I have not had weird geometry poo poo with any vehicle, I drive on roads and off road on all vehicles, just took a truck up a loving mountain earlier today, when do I get to complain about this stuff like all the cool kids?

v-- I have had weird door poo poo happen as well because I like to close doors when I go into buildings that I'm relatively certain are empty, sometimes I can close/open them while standing back a bit, sometimes I have to stand directly in front of them to interact

MF_James fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 29, 2018

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Tweak posted:

gently caress the Martyrdom perk

Yeah COD did the grenade on death thing, it's not hard to avoid, just wait a few seconds, but it's also loving dumb.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Are there sound settings other than volume in game? Looking in the settings menu it just seems I can adjust volume for different sounds, is the rest controlled via windows settings? (i.e. 7.1, speaker etc)

The reason I ask is because I have no issues with sound from a distance, but close up I can't loving tell where people are shooting/coming at me from and it's getting really annoying.

Also, every time the game updates, at least I think it's game updates, it switches my server back to Asia, is there a way to force it to NA always?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Fantastipotamus posted:

Not that I've found (but I mostly have trouble with sound orientation from long range). What I can say is that in my audio software, I had been using the setting for 7.1 or 5.1 but I actually always play with a headset. Once I switched that back to 'stereo' or 'headphones', my directional sound was improved. My mobo has a RealTek audio chip, so it comes w/ their audio manager which also has something called 'headphone virtualization' but who the hell knows what that does.

Nope, but they're too focused on delivering new "content" like strategically-disadvantageous gun skins to be worrying about fixing stuff like that. However, from what I've seen, their 'roadmap for Pubg' indicated they'd be working to region-lock servers in the not-too-distant future. If you have a friend who plays on different geographical servers, you can still join their party and play on their servers, but if it's just you, you won't have the option to choose, as far as I know.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Unreal 4 engine which PUBG uses just outputs whichever format the audio endpoint asks for, it does support 7.1 so if your headphones report themselves as 7.1 you'll get all the surround channels.

According to some YouTube videos the default stereo setting uses a speaker panning law, which is allegedly why it's hard to pinpoint where sounds are coming from if they're not in front of you. Supposedly switching to 7.1 with a good HRTF function helps a lot.

Thanks for the Info, I'll double-check my sound settings, but they should be set for headphones/stereo since I don't have speakers and I am pretty loving sure I set everything to stereo/headphones to begin with.

Also the uzi is a loving beast, just cuts dudes down so fast in the early game, I regularly beat out guys with M4s because it just dumps a clip so quickly.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Mordja posted:

Yeah I've started actually using it and it just buzzsaws people, sometimes at deceptively long ranges too.

Yeah, since I've been dropping into more contested areas getting an uzi pretty much guarantees me 2-3 kills and I'll generally make it out alive. I still like the shotguns and they can definitely knock people out quickly but the uzi is nasty.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

Shotguns in this game drive me nuts and yes the UZI is undervalued. It's not the best SMG but it's often the one you will get in early game and I'd take it over any shotgun in a game with this netcode.

"any smg" + "any AR with optics" is what I want each game. I have more specific desires within that category but if I can manage that I'm happy. But I'm opposed to having primaries share ammo for less than logical reasons.

Primaries sharing ammo sucks until you get a few kills (or a lot of looting) under your belt, by then you'll likely have more ammo than you need, but in the first 5-10 minutes of the game ammo is premium and unless you get lucky with 10 boxes of 5.56, you're going to be at 1 maybe 2 magazines full, which is not a lot if you run into a few fights without being able to grab more.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

speedtek posted:

I really really really really wish there was some way to practice the various guns. I have taken many shots with the AWM, and no idea how close any of them were to hitting. All I know is I have 0 kills with it and it's very discouraging.

Picked it up for the first time last night, doesn't seem to be much bullet drop, but I wasn't shooting at people far away since I had no scope to put on it.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Stealthgerbil posted:

Go play a few thousand hours of CS:GO. Not even joking.

CSGO develops all of the essential skills to get good at FPSes and its a very punishing game. Plus the skill ceiling is insane, I have a few thousand hours in CSGO and I still get poo poo on by dudes when I play ESEA.

bloooooooooooog we should play friendship simulator together.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Stealthgerbil posted:

Hell yes I'm down any time :)

I guess I'll actually start inviting you instead of being like "Oh, hey he's playing this game that I play, but he's probably already playing with dudes, maybe next time"

MF_James
May 8, 2008

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It has all the skills, sure, but new players die so quickly that you spend 90% of your time on the killscreen. Playing like overwatch or something is a lot more practice/min than CSGO, at least at the start.

Or just jump as soon as you can and cut your teeth in the Thunderdome

That's why you play DM not casual or MM, find a good FFA DM community server.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

The Mash posted:

The best weapon in the shotgun event is a car

Yeah, every round has been me urging my team to fight for vehicle spawns.

I did machete some idiot that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a shotgun, also punched some guy to death because he was bad (my teammate also hit him with the shotgun a few times).

It's been pretty fun, I dropped into pecado with my squad and there were probably 40 people that dropped there too, 2 of us didn't have guns but we had a lot of healing so soaked some hits (this is also when I punched some dude to death), I think we killed 10-12 people before I finally died, my teammates were alive for 5+ minutes longer before I left to join another game.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 6, 2018

MF_James
May 8, 2008

What you don't like getting tons of pistol and shotgun attachments but no shotguns?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Rubberduke posted:

Most games i just run around with no gun rather than wasting time on shotguns and pistols. (which is stupid, but gently caress rational thought)

pistols are fine if you catch someone before they get body armor, shotguns are decent enough provided you're in close, I still prefer the uzi

MF_James
May 8, 2008

So, I've gotten to a point where I can drop crowded areas and come out on top like 80% of the time, the other 20% is when I either don't get a gun, or thanks to the loving lag for the first 20-30 seconds of being on the ground someone out loots a gun from under me.

Plx fix dumb start of game lag butthole.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

yeah vert on everything except sks is how I roll, horizontal recoil is pretty freaking easy to control overall.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i hate this poo poo, yesterday, two team mates down, me and one other dude left fighting in severny. This dude is like "I need a gun". I'm like, "I just killed like three dudes over here and they all have guns" and he runs unarmed to the other side of severny by himself complaining how he can't find a gun without even checking the buildings in betweeen. Then I see some dudes moving in on him and I tell him he's got a squad coming to kill him and he runs away again says, "we gotta get out of here, I don't have anything" hops in a car and promptly gets shot to death. These two guys moving in on him both go to loot him standing still so I killed them and when I checked his body he had weapons. He must have just been one of those "I CAN ONLY FIGHT IF I HAVE THE ITEMS SHROUD USES" types.

or he's just a troll

MF_James
May 8, 2008

The best are the clothing spawns on top of all the attachments/guns/ammo, but you can't see those until you open your inventory or pick up the pants/shirt covering them. I probably left a ton of poo poo on the ground my first 5-10 games because I looked in a room, saw clothes only and walked off.

So, will clothes no longer spawn and instead something else will spawn in their place? I guess I don't understand the underlying change that will happen, does this mean I'm going to get 10000 more shotgun chokes, or will overall loot remain the same except minus clothes.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

NZAmoeba posted:

Won't less extreme edge circles just mean the circle will always end up somewhere near the middle? Thus meaning you're unlikely to ever see the stuff at the edges of the map?

I would want more extreme circles, shake it up a bit, the middle of the map is boring.

I believe they intend this to affect the 2nd circle and later, so subsequent circles will be more in the center of the first and not touching the edges.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

MysteriousStranger posted:

This! This has been happening in FPS games for a long, long, long time. Unless you were to make a game with no static meshes and simply box walls like back in the Doom 2/Quake 1 era this is going to happen, and even then it happened from time to time.

This has been a "feature" of pretty much every FPS I've ever played, CS/CSS/CSGO being one of the easiest to notice it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Le0 posted:

You haven't lived before you play an FPS with a trackball.
I knew someone who played Quake and had forward bound to left mouse button and backward to right mouse button.
Having said that I probably stopped using retarded keybindings when half life was released or something. I'm glad to see there are other olds playing Pubg tho.

I used to play FPS' with a track ball, used a few different ones but the best were the simple ones with one button on each side of the ball and I did VERY well in games did amateur tournaments and poo poo in the early 2000's. People looked at me like I was crazy when I rolled in with one of those. Honestly if they still made decent ones I'd probably go back to it but all the ones now are garbage.

Xenaero posted:

Played a lot of Quake titles and Doom 2 online with a trackball for years, I still think I had a much finer degree of aim control using a trackball.

I 100% agree with you, I think I had greater control as well, the issue now-a-days is losing the functionality of having other buttons, inside and outside games.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 17, 2018