Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Yesterday I went to my LGS for the first time in over a year and one of the employees there talked about Guild Ball in what I assume was an effort to drum up interest for it. Within 2 minutes he mentioned a character getting raped in the fluff as part of their backstory and chuckled about it.

I loving hate people.

also hi it's my birthday, Pandemic Legacy season 2 is fun and y'all should play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

LeSquide posted:

What the gently caress. I'm a huge Guild Ball fan, but that poo poo would've driven me right the gently caress away.

It's seriously turned me off from giving it a closer look. I was interested for a while since skirmish games are kinda my thing but when some 300lb neckbeard brings that up as an example of how "dark and grim" the game is, then maybe I don't want to play that game!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Bedlamdan posted:

Are you guys talking about Gutter from the Union? Because uhhh when I read that, I finally realized that this was not the wacky Soccer themed Blood Bowl I came in for...

I mean, even after that there's a lot of stuff that's either grim or just downright depressing. The team captain of the Butcher's Guild, for example, goes on a killing spree to get revenge for someone shanking his teammate, only to be left for dead by his number two. And in season two you get stuff like a team captain from season one basically getting tossed away like garbage because they were crippled in a match.

I mean, different strokes and the fluff is largely irrelevant to the game itself but I went in to the setting fluff expecting a hoot like soccer themed Wacky Racers and Blood Bowl's 'dark-elf assassin that was hired after he killed a player during a match, only to be passed the ball accidentally and fleeing all the way to a touchdown' but then I read the fluff and it was a downer! :saddowns:

Yup! Count me forever uninterested in a game that thinks this is worth including in any part of itself!

loving garbage fire poo poo right there.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Please stop engaging with bargain bin Frank Trollman.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Moriatti posted:

Mario and Rabbids is actually the 4e videogame and you can't convince me otherwise.

Edit: Specifically in that each character has a standard, move and minor, as well as characters filling out roles prety well.

You're not wrong.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

How he can talk with his foot in his mouth is another story entirely.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Planescape: Torment has a great premise, setting, and storyline that's married to the most abysmal loving engine. It's drat near unplayable by today's standards.

I never thought I'd agree with Plutonis on anything but, here we go.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Make sure to not give your character any family or loved ones or else you've lost

I wish I could convey to other GM's that just because I have family that's still alive in my backstory, does not mean it's a license to kill/kidnap them at a moment's notice. It's tired, trite bullshit and it's really boring to play the "I'm a loner with no family" schtick for the upteenth time because I can't trust the GM to let my character have family that isn't some product to be stolen to antagonize the character.

This isn't to say them being kidnapped can't be done well. It can! But the second you mention that any family or loved ones are still alive in your backstory the GM will immediately want to put them in peril and it's just so lacking in imagination that I want to zone out and go to sleep whenever it comes up.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

slap me and kiss me posted:

20 king movies, none of them good.

And all of them happening in Maine.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Is there any superhero RPG out there that's both good and isn't an overcomplicated mess of mechanics?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

It seems like from what I've been able to gather, good superhero RPGs are either super mechanically complex, or very narrativist and simple- there's not a lot of middle ground.

Given my brief foray into M&M, I'm leaning more towards the simple end of things.

I backed the kickstarter and tried reading through it when it finally released and honestly nothing about it really grabbed me. Being burnt out on 4e after playing/running it for so long probably didn't help.

I suppose I should figure out if I want to run a superhero game and then decide at what general "power level": vigilante (minimal/no powers), superhero (moderately-powered heroes) , or cosmic (Thor, basically), and then find a system appropriate for it. I'm getting the feeling FAE might do what I need to do for at least the first two power levels, and the latter...I dunno.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Like, I think a superhero game should spend more time on superpowers.

Agreed. The game itself also shouldn't be so bogged-down with rules as to come off as being focused on the minutae, like mosy D20 versions end up being.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

We're not in the 90s any more. 40k stopped being self-aware 10-15 years ago.

Closer to 20 years at this point. 3rd edition really ramped up the grimdark and removed a lot of the tongue-in-cheek material. You still had the occasional oddball/silly reference (Orks at the time come to mind), but by and large it started to take itself far more seriously around 1998 and hasn't looked back since.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Hostile V posted:

Oh thank god I now know when A Castle Adventure That Is Legally Distinct From Other Properties That Involve Bloodlines And Draculas are coming out.

See also: every game I run, ever.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

Gamergate spun off of the various long running harassment campaigns in the Tradgame space so this is less a spinoff and more of the original recipe boiling over. It probably won't get much traction only because a lot of the other bad actors in that have a lot invested in appearing politically left.

Well that, and Pundowski has negative charisma and couldn't lead ants to a sugar pile. If this stupid hashtag gets any sort of traction it'll be in spite of him, not because of him.

Also :laffo: of course he follows Jordan Peterson. Of loving course.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Foglet posted:

The dude keeps a real-life Great Book of Grudges listing everyone who ever mentioned him in a non-praising context or argued with him online, what could you expect.

I think I got on his list because I told him his haircut looks stupid.

Which it does.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I was thinking more World of Warcraft, but that works too.

I mean, I'm no fan of WoW, but Blizz actually sometimes takes input from the player base and makes moves to improve upon their old-as-poo poo base game and implement quality-of-life upgrades.

D&D doesn't. Or, when they try, they just get the player base screeching at them until they stop.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Leraika posted:

I wish there was a version of 3.5 that kept the parts that were good, namely the Binder class, and tossed the parts that were bad, namely everything else.

Secrets of Pact Magic exists so that's pretty much the same thing.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Eberron is also cool, but apparently it's not as popular as Forgotten Realms I think?

Popularity shouldn't determine what you should or should not run. Eberron has a ton of supplemental material for it, and while nothing will ever approach the sheer volume of work in FR, the stuff that is out for Eberron is both good and consistent in terms of setting tone and expectations.

Also FR sucks.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Out of the list of games I've played/ran, I've got:

• D&D 4th
  • D&D 3.5
  • D&D 2e
  • Gamma World 7th ed.
  • Star Wars: Saga Edition (heavily modified)
  • Microlite D20 (Adamantine Edition)
  • Hunter: The Vigil
  • Changeling: The Lost
  • nWoD Mortals (basic rulebook)
  • Orpheus
  • The Returners RPG

Of the above list, I'd only really go back and play 4e, Gamma World, Microlite, Orpheus, and Hunter/nWoD; I don't think I'd ever go back to the overcomplicated mess of 3.5/2e/Returners, or the outright broken garbage of SW: Saga. I've played the living hell out of 4e and it's probably my favorite, but GW is really fun and the brief time I had with Microlite was enjoyable enough.

Out of the games I have that I'd like to play but haven't done so:

• Demon: The Descent
  • Promethean: The Created
  • Wraith: The Oblivion
  • Geist: The Sin-Eater
  • FATE Accelerated
  • FFd6
  • Last Stand
  • Through the Breach
  • Fragged Empire
  • Nemesis
  • Vampire: Dark Ages
  • Shadow of the Demon Lord
  • LANCER
  • Dungeons: The Dragoning
  • Unknown Armies
  • That one Zelda RPG that /tg/ made but which is probably awful by now

I honestly don't know if I'll ever get to play even half of that list, since being an adult with no free time sucks.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

beeoi posted:

Since you guys are such big fans of you-know-who, here's a critique of Maze of the Blue Medusa.

I like that the author gets progressively more fed up with the whole product as the article goes on. It's like the physical product version of dealing with Zak--it just gets worse the more you experience it.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

the prevailing reaction that I've seen rather seems to be to cast aspersions on the author's credibility by claiming that they didn't read the book, followed by pages upon pages of OSRsplaining

I wonder if the people in that thread defending the book know that Zak won't go out with them.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

I hate that this tired bullshit about 4e persists. The first loving page of the TAZ graphic novel takes a swing at 4e for no reason other than the person writing the introduction getting to feel smug.

There's people in that thread who are apparently still annoyed that TSR removed demons and devils in 2e. lovely opinions about D&D never die, they just get old and crusty.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

he went on a ranty crusade a few months back about how people who only engage with the hobby by listening/watching APs don't really count as being part of the hobby

By his dumb logic, sports fans aren't part of their hobby either.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

The wallet also erases any debt tied to a credit card that's put into it so you can always run up a huge amount of debt and then erase it in an instant.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

So I guess that SIGMATA game has a soundtrack in the works (:laffo:) and one of the tracks was just released.

The track itself is perfectly fine (Irving Force is pretty legit), but the fact that the game creator wanted to commission an actual soundtrack for his wildly misinformed game is...kind of special.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Ettin posted:

Soundtracks are cool and more games should have them :shrug:

I just wish better games than this had them :shrug:

Plutonis posted:

GMs should bring custom mixtapes instead

Soundclown mixes only.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Kill Six Billion Demons does the isekai story better than most, in part because Allison is played off as being wildly in over her head but she's also crafty enough that she can, with a bit of luck, pull a fast one over her enemies long enough to avoid getting her head caved in (e.g. Princess Jack Moonshine).

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

A playstyle that 4e genuinely doesn't support is one where characters are disposable and easily replaced. Of course, 3e didn't support that either.

Arguably, Gamma World supports that kind of play due to how easy it is to make characters, but that's kind of a different beast.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I don't remember that Winamp plugin.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

From a Steam review:

loving :laffo: if true.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Desiden posted:

Is it hard to find a printer for RPGs that isn't scummy? Honest question, I just figured with the number of printers around domestically that finding and vetting a legit one wouldn't be one of the more common failure points. Trying to set up manufacturing with some weird little factory in China you found online for a board game or whatever seems to lead to a lot of trouble, but I wasn't aware the printer side was also dodgy.

The vetting process is cumbersome on account of a lack of professionalism in the RPG industry. Most RPG writers are, after all, not very good at business or even know a lick about it.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Covok posted:

Which is a better game: Savage Worlds or Fate Core? GURPS?

Moriatti posted:

4e next question.

But joking aside, it depends entirely on what you're trying to do with the systems and your comfort level towards crunch. SW is medium-crunch but plays pretty fast, and FC is lighter and more abstract. GURPS is as light or as heavy as you need it to be.

It'd be more appropriate to ask which is better for a game theme you're going for, like superheroes or pulp action or gritty inner-city/cop drama or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Covok posted:

This is so weird.

Private Speech posted:

ABP rule to block this, err, this poo poo:

quote:

somethingawful.com##cloudflare-app