Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NutritiousSnack posted:

So the new L5R is up: is it any good?

People talking about it in the L5R thread seem to think of it favorably enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wrestlepig posted:

What is it with reVamp and pedophiles lmao

You paid for the whole book but only need the edge.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Helical Nightmares posted:

:same:

Shadowrun: Dragonfall and Hong Kong are worth the time/money.

Returns isn't bad, but you should absolutely only play it before the other two.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, it's easy to forget just how much the notion of an RPG company talking explicitly about prostitution, evisceration, and using bad words was "edgy" in '92. In '18, it seems almost quaint.

What I really didn't understand was the notion from Ericcson that White Wolf ever put out "topical" or "ripped from the headlines" sorts of games. I mean, yes, they acknowledged some basic social problems and leaned heavily on the trends of freaks and geeks, but they never really centered around real-life issues. There was Werewolf's environmentalism, but it was taken to such a ridiculous and magical level that it was essentially divorced from the actual issues of such.

It seems to me Marty was apparently inspired by, in all the wrong ways, by books like Charnel Houses of Europe. That was 'real' and 'transgressive' and in his madness conflated 'thoughtful' and 'mature' with 'puerile' and 'edgy.'

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 18, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, Charnel Houses of Europe worked within the aftermath and fallout of a historical event without really changing it in any meaningful way. That's not to say White Wolf never had their own stumbles - having a blatant James Randi analogue being an agent of a demonic child sexual abuse cult strikes me as a forgotten low point born out of the Satanic abuse hoax of the time (Rage Across New York, for the morbidly curious). And there's the cringeworthy aforementioned Destiny's Price, and I'm sure others can think of other low points. But those aren't exactly thought of as classics.

I always forget Destiny's Price was a Black Dog book, as I've never read it. The idea of an 'urban' sourcebook never had much appeal but as it was developed by Brucato I'm going to imagine I dodged a bullet.

Sadly I'm quite familiar with Rage Across New York, which holds some of my favorite moments of peak 1E White Wolf pretentiousness and cringe.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So some ComicGaters are trying to get 'DnDGate' off on the same foot, which includes streams of stand ins of comics types like Gail Simone so they can kill and/or molest.

https://twitter.com/LandoPan/status/1064563718845943808

Ethics in whatever blah blah.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Desiden posted:

Didn't they already try this and have it fart out a few months ago? I think Pundit was trying for a bit, but no one gave a poo poo so he just started signal boosting comicsgate crap instead.

Yeah, they seem to try and drag it up by the scruff of its neck every now and then to make it a Real Thing. The last time I recall was Desborough trying.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

You can tell they're desperate from how they're namedropping Gail in the hope that she'll find and share the post during her regular namesearches on Twitter. Tabletop RPGs being a shallower pool than even American comics means there's no major creators with a social media following near her level that they could use for incidental signal boosts in the same way.

It's likely, too, that with CG's 'leadership' in shambles (Richard Meyer having deleted his Twitter in accordance with his lawsuit and Ethan Van Sciver essentially starting what might as well be EthanGate) they're trying to pounce on something else that might even be easier. As you say, there's no Joe Quesada to call them out.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

To springboard off what you said and tie it back to earlier comments and the post which kicked this whole debate off, part of making it socially untenable to be Nazis is deplatforming even if you can't, and shouldn't, count on capitalism to swoop in and save the day, but just because capitalism lacks inherent ethics doesn't mean that alt-right shitheads deserve to be able to make free use of the same means and methods of funding for their garbage projects as everyone else without consequence. A similar debate has been going on in the comics forum re: Comicsgate and their numerous pie-in-the-sky projects and it turns out that, actually, when platforms like indiegogo or Kickstarter shut down these groups' ability to fund themselves that it does actually have a tangible effect. Deplatforming isn't the end goal in and of itself but I have absolutely no problem suggesting that people who want to turn various hobbies into opportunistic grifts for right-wing welfare deserve to get kicked to the curb in addition to the many other methods by which their hateful ideology should be rendered untenable.

Although I wonder if the hypothetical "DnDGate" would be as financially viable as ComicsGate has been. And even as I say 'viable' it's only such to the less than half-dozen ringleaders of CG, most of whom have again either "left" or gone silent because they're getting in over their heads. There's been a ton of these alt-right nerds who've tried their own projects because it worked for Uncle Ethan and Dickie and gotten bupkis. Is there enough of a crowd to give Pundit or James D 400K to own the libs?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

It's not really defeatist to acknowledge that some groups and some games just don't mesh for whatever reason. It can be disappointing if you're really up to play Game A but the group wants to play Game B and won't meet you halfway, my personal opinion is that groups should at least be receptive to trying new stuff if the person generally designated as the game-runner wants to give them a shot but if they give it a shot and aren't having fun then there's no sense in forcing it. And yeah, what Lemon-Lime said in knowing your group will often give you a good idea of what you're likely to have success with.

Yeah, having run games that flopped because the players just did not care, I've come to realize the importance of a prep session or at least a multi-email game. "Who wants to play Star Wars/Vampire/TORG/whatever" instead of just springing a giant Shadowrun game out of nowhere on them or something.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'll go with Alien Rope Burn or Evil Mastermind. If Kai Tave wanted it, he'd be good too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, I've never let that stop me before but I do sympathize with struggling to find just the right bit of character art.

That's kept me from applying for more games I probably would have had fun with than about anything.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Heliotrope posted:

It depends on the system, but PbtA games tend to base what the game will be about depending on what playbooks the players pick - you don’t make adventures or what’s going on in the rest of the world before that. So it’s fairly easy to look at the PCs once you’ve picked them in a PbP game and start doing your prep then instead of before characters are created.

That's certainly true. What helped me grok Masks was it was much more about the story the playbook told than the powers it had, and I've even both myself and others get tripped up by that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Now that it's brought up I don't know any playbook has 'turn into animal' powers.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fuego Fish posted:

On a tangent, I don't think I've ever seen a discussion relating to Young Justice go on for this long without someone crawling out of the woodwork to rage about how it's the worst superhero cartoon ever created.

I'm not surprised that's a Thing, but I've honestly never seen it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

GimpInBlack posted:

I have some issues with the first half of Young Justice's first season, particularly how hard it leans into the "it's a g-g-g-girl!" trope with Miss Martian, but I somehow doubt that's what Internet randos who come out of the woodwork to bitch would be mad about.

Having re-watched it recently, the only thing I feel like is a valid complaint off the top of my head is there's a whole lot of Greg Weisman indulging his "just as planned" fetish no matter what happens to the villains.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

theironjef posted:

Also everyone has a terrible catchphrase or something. "Hello Megan" left me so cold I only caught season 2 on Netflix. Runner-up issue, Superboy collecting lame edgy pets.

Yeah, while I do enjoy the show I could do without the Seinfeld-esque 'you always hear people are disgruntled is anyone just gruntled' stuff Weisman also is a big fan of.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Moriatti posted:

Whedon definitely also has a foot thing.

Especially Summer Glau's.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Well, maybe that tweet's from a while ago and Whedon's oh ha ha it's from two days ago. Yikes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hostile V posted:

e: oh god drat it I didn't even realize it was loving Venger Satanis, gently caress that guy.

He apparently got perma'd off RPG.net (again). Claimed he was "transitioning" into a transhuman tentacled creature. He even had pronouns for his new made-up race.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Anyway, what I meant is that in a given Whedon work you can usually identify a character as "The Kitty", not to get too TV Tropes-ish... your Willow, your Fred, your Kaylee, etc.

Oh, and the Kitty Pryde he fired into a space in a magic bullet.

He definitely has a Thing for the Ingenue which becomes even more creepy in hindsight.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Covok posted:

Move over super relatable and interesting and way cooler than anyone else character,Kamala Khan, it's 2025 and it's time for Blood Gun-Splosion to make a comeback -- Some 90s Kid working at Marvel

Um, his name is Adam X. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nightfall Games is taking the rather daring strategy of de-canonizing games and not selling them.

NG's FB page posted:

As Nightfall Games finalise the new publication – SLA Industries: Cannibal Sector 1, we have taken a good look at the contents of the various source materials published to date. As many of you know, a number of these books were produced with little or no input from the creators of SLA Industries and as such do not represent the image, ideals, nor stories of The World of Progress. Additionally, a number of the books have been directly superseded (in whole or part) by the writing in the new book. With this in mind, only the following source books and supplements should be now be considered canon (the official vision of The World of Progress):
• SLA Industries Main Rulebook (including all reprints) (ISBN 1 899749 23 3)
• Karma (ISBN 1 880992 56 6)
• Hunter Sheets Issue 1 (ISBN 978 0 9555423 1 2)
• Hunter Sheets Issue 2 (ISBN 978 0 9556497 1 2)
• “Klick’s End” Data Packet
• “Momic 0.1” Data Packet
• "The Dream" Data Packet
• "Threat Analysis: Hominid" Data Packet
• "Hunters Sheets: Red Alert" Data Packet
• SLA Industries GM Screen

The publications listed below are no longer considered to be an official part of the SLA Industries canon.

• Mort Sourcebook (ISBN 0 9522176 6 X)
• The Key of Delhyread (ISBN 978-1-899749-24-9)
• The Contract Directory (ISBN 978-1-899749-29-4)
• Cannibal Sector 1 (ISBN 978 0 9555423 0 5)
• “Ursa Carrien” Data Packet

If you suddenly demand a complete SLA Industries collection, the ones getting the boot will be up until the 31st of this month.