Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

hihifellow posted:

I've made a bridge for everyone to join to discuss and collaborate on the ongoing issues around the thread migration. I won't be joining as I have other duties to attend to committing boardroom seppuku

-- Do not delete or change any of the following text. --

Join WebEx meeting
Meeting number (access code): 555 123 456
Meeting password: buttfart

Join from a video system or application
Dial 555321654@webex.deadgayforums.net

Join by phone
1-900-555-5555 Call-in toll-free number (US/Canada)
1-555-555-1234 Call-in toll number (US/Canada)
Toll-free calling restrictions

Can't join the meeting?

If you are a host, go here to view host information.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that this WebEx service allows audio and other information sent during the session to be recorded, which may be discoverable in a legal matter. By joining this session, you automatically consent to such recordings. If you do not consent to being recorded, discuss your concerns with the host or do not join the session.

I've delegated this call to one of my team who knows nothing about this project so I have plausible deniability, please forward the invite to them as I'm too important to do it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Knormal posted:

Tell them you did as requested and ordered the biggest computer you could find.

Insufficient computer.

Please note that this computer also replaces the break area.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Knormal posted:

Just set up hundreds of wi-fi networks in your own building so the odds of the one across the street showing up in the first screen of results on anyone's device is really low.

This is clearly the best plan. Just present it to HR along with the cost for 500 access points, an appropriate number of power strips, potential electricity costs and note that microwave radiation is different to WiFi and so there's no risk of liquifying everyone's internal organs and you should be good.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

# I killed a goose today / oh boy
# kicked out it's guts and beak and poop and skin

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

vibur posted:

Well, that explains the feces.

Perfect.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Weatherman posted:

I had it mentioned this evening that infrastructure is a cost centre unlike those SalesForce wizards who generate revenue.

Motherfuckers, you try generating all that revenue when you're back to using notepads, pencils and calculators because all the infrastructure has been thrown into cleansing fire by unappreciated engineers t:mad:

I used to get this when giving Finance the number of people we needed to run all our call centre and processing/email handling operations. Yeah, you know what, it costs a lot for this multinational company to deal with all these customer contacts. Unfortunately the product is, essentially, the advice we offer over the phone, so unless you want to change the entire business either pay for the people you need or sell less of the product so you need fewer people. Yes this is a cost centre but it is also your goddamned product.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

All these 24 standards are poo poo, we should make a new standard that addresses all the previous issues. There are now 25 competing standards.

At least with email SFP/DKIM cuts down on the sheer volume of bullshit. Can't wait for SIP to end up the same way, but given telecom is at best 500x worse than email ever could be, that'll happen sometime after either the heat death of the universe or someone solving P=NP and using it to make a shackled hard AI that screens his calls.

"Lo-look-look it you asshat, for the last time you're no-no-not the IRS, stopppppp callllllinng-ng-nggggggggg meeeeeeeeeee"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iZMD_eCpEo

I am in favour of removing Shodan's ethical constraints to deal with robocallers. The inevitable destruction of humanity is a reasonable price.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

bell jar posted:

One of my old jobs was fun because of all the people who'd insist when they were talking to our Indian employees that our call centre was outsourced, only to have one of our non-Indian managers take over the call and tell them to stop being racist.

When I worked at a bank, we had one guy, literally one, with an Indian name and accent and the poo poo he had to deal with was unreal. So many people going "Oh yeah, what's the weather like in NOTTINGHAM then if that's where you are" and making out they couldn't understand him to try and get to talk to someone less brown when he was perfectly comprehensible. His line manager ended up terminating at least one customer's account because they were so racist towards him.

In conclusion, people are awful.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

I mean, bleak and post-industrial?

:shrug:

I mean we were bang in the city centre so it was actually quite nice

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

GreenNight posted:

We have zero log retention so we’re saving all the money.

Who was it who was accused of entrapment for turning on logging?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Zereth posted:

I can't figure out how to get it to accept my password

It's just ten characters with a capital letter and a number, oh and you have to have one letter in your password from your email address. That's logical passwordery.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Zereth posted:

It just says my password is not unsafe in red when i try to proceed

Your password not being unsafe should be fine. Did you make sure to uncheck that you don't accept the T&Cs

(this site really is glorious)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

MF_James posted:

Ticket metrics are useful, but you can't look at them in a vacuum.

Person A closes 100 tickets a week.
Person B closes 30 tickets a week.
Person C closes 80 tickets a week
Person D closes 25 tickets a week.

So let's look at the tickets Person B does, oh hey they pick up stuff that no one else touches like insert difficult task here, great they are doing good work.

Let's see what Person D does, oh they are doing password resets only... maybe we should talk to them about productivity.

This is the same for literally every productivity metric ever and it's infuriating to me that managers almost always just go "faster equals better, kick the slow people in the teeth until they game the system" instead of going "hey why is Steve doing three million widgets an hour when the median is forty, maybe we should look at what he's doing"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

Except that the median will invariably be (re-)set to Steve.

Management by metrics is a disease.

It's funny, the only place I've seen productivity metrics used remotely smartly is sales areas. Who, of course, ignore everything apart from money generated but will absolutely question people who could have made MORE money if they'd gone at the average pace.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

I gave up fighting the uphill battle that was trying to get people to put agendas in meeting invites

I had a boss who just didn't show up to meetings without an agenda. I wish I had enough fucks left to do this instead of just going to to the meetings and then using the wasted two hours as a reason I've not finished another piece of work.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I bet it's that teacher holed up in the store cupboard

Edit: this was about the larches thing. Stupid me didn't check for extra pages

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Test wise, I'm not strictly speaking the target audience for this thread, but at my last job I had to do a simple forecasting test (here's five datasets, pick one and forecast it out for three years. Dead easy, I did all five because I'm a show off.

I found out after I got the job that they introduced that test because the previous guy aced the competency based interview and then once he started couldn't do the actual job AT ALL. We're talking "could barely do sums in excel" bad. He was gone inside of three months, hence the vacancy.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I find it weird that I seem to be the only person I know who uses Shift-Delete/Ctrl-Insert/Shift-Insert for cut/copy/paste. Was there some point where those were the only way of doing cut/copy/paste or something because I can't think why I do that instead of Ctrl-X/C/V.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

Mech-based affinity for the right hand side of the keyboard?

Nah, Mechwarrior 2 was like 95? I would have been using Windows 3.0 and 3.1/11 before that.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

My last but one employer had someone with the login ID "poologs". That one always made me giggle because it's so childish.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

I am extremely fond of the script command. Record every drat thing I do for CYA purposes? yes please!

Sounds like entrapment to me

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

kensei posted:

Someone today tried to print a 2.2GB 3,667 page document. Of course, since that ran the printer out of paper, everyone else tried to print their jobs multiple times too. FFS.

When did this person think they were going to have the time to actually read this document

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Slate Slabrock posted:

I did not get paid on Friday. Well, I did I guess, but my direct deposit got deposited directly into someone else's account. An HR manager (not even my HR person, one from a different site) forwarded an email thread where "I" requested a direct deposit change.

I pointed out that no one contacted me directly, the email address was from Czechoslovakia, the form was missing my SSN or HRID, and it wasn't even signed. HR came back with "we aren't trained to recognize this type of scam." I pulled the logs from LAST MONTH'S phishing training and the emails I sent to the VPHR showing where her people failed and where she insisted that they didn't need remedial training because their internal HR processes would protect them.

I'm so loving mad, but at the same time, it's a good thing it was me and not some agent that would get swept under the rug.

Please god let this have consequences

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

I used to get that on LinkedIn all the time for some reason.

"Hey dude with no decision making power, whaddyasay to becoming a reseller for our AV/SIEM/Vuln scanner product?!?!?!"

Pass TBH.

I had an actual in person friend of mine do this. Dude started working at a b2b telecoms company and gave me his card, said if my company (a big six energy firm where I was, at the time, middle management at best) was looking to get new mobile phone or land-line contracts or change phone platform to let him know.

Dude, I barely get to decide what my own six direct reports do, why would you think I could make any decision on those sort of purchases for a multinational with tens of thousands of employees?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

A ticket came in. It looked oddly familiar so I checked the user's previous tickets and she had submitted a near identical one a month ago. She was informed at that time that the thing she was reporting was working as intended and as requested at the design phase, that she what she wanted was a change request and she should submit it as such. So she just waited a month and asked for the same thing again.

Fucks sake.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

El Jebus posted:

I hope your reponse is "Objection: asked and answered."

It was a link to the original ticket, a copy/paste of the previous response and screaming "for fucks sake" into the void.

Yours is better.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

Next month reply with "see previous two responses" and CC her boss.

Oh her boss and my boss are both well aware of all this nonsense, and this isn't the only grief she's given the team either. Tiresome. Incredibly tiresome.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

A ticket finally came in. A user has been doing his damndest to circumvent our feature addition process (which is as simple as submit ticket, we prioritise the work, then we do the work) because he doesn't want to wait. He's gone as far as contacting the business partner at our supplier who we kind of need doing other things right now. Yesterday he finally submitted a ticket. Unfortunately instead of submitting it for the changes he wants he's spat his dummy out and submitted a ticket saying our system is not fit for purpose and needs to be replaced entirely.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Sywert of Thieves posted:

Sounds a bit like my kid, who has to practically be forced to sit on the can before we have dinner, then refuses to sit on it for longer than 5 seconds, comes to sit at the dinner table, and then runs to the bathroom again 5 minutes later because now he has to pee for real and it's all our fault. :v:

Yeah, I'm still relatively new here but I'm going to kick this to my boss to have a word with HIS boss. I mean I've seen unprofessional behaviour before but I genuinely stared open mouthed at the ticket. Imagine being an adult human being with a long career and thinking THIS is how you should behave.

nexxai posted:

holy gently caress this would be an instant client termination everywhere i have ever worked

The business partner was OK with it, he likes to be helpful. But ooof, no, don't do that.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

A ticket finally came in. A user has been doing his damndest to circumvent our feature addition process (which is as simple as submit ticket, we prioritise the work, then we do the work) because he doesn't want to wait. He's gone as far as contacting the business partner at our supplier who we kind of need doing other things right now. Yesterday he finally submitted a ticket. Unfortunately instead of submitting it for the changes he wants he's spat his dummy out and submitted a ticket saying our system is not fit for purpose and needs to be replaced entirely.

Update - apparently he's now raised a support ticket directly with the supplier. This is ridiculous. How is this happening

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

Management above him is failing and he now knows he can get away with poo poo like this.

One of my coworkers is in the office with his manager and has forwarded this whole thing on to her, and she's VERY apologetic and it's all going to be actually dealt with. Apparently. I'm not holding my breath.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Sunblood posted:

Total call/ticket count from users calling about Facebook being down yesterday: 14.
Three of those were the same user who called back twice to ask if it was back up yet and if we could "expedite this."

Was it affecting production

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

Update - apparently he's now raised a support ticket directly with the supplier. This is ridiculous. How is this happening

Update update - it doesn't appear anyone's spoken to him. After his ticket raised directly with the supplier didn't get the result he wanted they closed it. And sent him a survey. Which he responded to with zeroes. So now our business partner's director is getting involved. A genuine cluster gently caress, I've never seen the like.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I entirely agree

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

duffmensch posted:

People like that are why I was so happy to find out that pressing F3 would cause Aspect to disconnect the call without recording that you hung up on them.

The notion that you're not allowed to hang up on people is sheer madness. I worked in debt collection for a while and if I'd been banned from terminating calls I would have had a breakdown I think.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

GreenNight posted:

There are few things I won't do for a job and I think debt collection is one of them.

Yeah, I think I'd rather shovel poo poo than do it ever again. At the time it got me out of a really crappy retail job and into something with reasonable hours and a pension though.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I spent basically an entire day in meetings and working on an issue for the system I support that turned out to be pretty much entirely a) issues with the data loaded into it and b) someone having made an accounting entry they shouldn't have done. A day of trying to work out what had suddenly broken when the answer was "nothing, some people made some mistakes".

Despite everyone affected treating this as a critical systems failure guess how many tickets have been raised

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

larchesdanrew posted:

This is my first time being contacted by recruiters and I’ve learned that recruiters are loving awful. I’ve had the same person contact me 4 times since yesterday for basically call-center jobs because no one understands hierarchy I guess?

15 years of experience with 7 of those being director/upper management positions and you think I’m going to jump at a tier 1 phone support job at a treadmill startup on a 6 month contract for $20k a year? Lmao

Unless you're dealing with a boutique recruiter for the specific elements of your industry they're going to be garbage. They don't understand who you are or what the job involves, they're just yelled at by management to put a warm body in the job hole so they can get their commission and bollocks to whether or not its a good fit.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

"why does nobody send thank you notes after interviews any more"

gently caress you, that's why. I'm not going to be pathetically grateful that you'd even consider me, either employ me based on my demonstrated skills or don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

sixth and maimed posted:

Sending a 'thank you' note after interviewing (or expecting one as a company) establishes a weird power dynamic where I should feel grateful and blessed for being considered for a job. Rather than say a meeting between people that want to see if their need for a professional to help achieve their business goals aligns with my need for money.

Yes, it's this. We have moved beyond the idea of a company as a 50s style fatherly figure that knows what's best, takes you in and will look after you from cradle to grave provided you behave. People expecting thank you notes are wanting to cover the nasty cracks in modern day capitalism (ie that businesses are inhuman monoliths that consume employee labour to excrete profit and will throw away people the second their cost outweighs their utility) with a veneer of decorum.

I have come to accept that if I want money I need to exchange my time and skills for it, and that companies will ditch me as soon as someone needs to make some lines on spreadsheet balance. This relationship is entirely transactional, and I refuse to pretend otherwise.