Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Our outsourced IT is worse than useless. We put in a ticket for a domain's SSL certificate expiring ten days ago. IT logged this as a "future event" and put it on hold. Cue yesterday when the certificate expired and nothing had been done with the ticket still on hold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Theswarms posted:

Our holiday booking system is still on Lotus Notes.

Everything else has been migrated off it for 2 years, but holidays remain and there is no plan to get them somewhere else.

Same but our expenses system instead. While digging around in there I found that I have a working email address from the predecessor company where my team originated 8 years ago. Said company was since bought, merged, then merged again.

e: I joined less than two years ago

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

duz posted:

When all you have is a hammer every problem looks like an #REF!

I see you are familiar with our new project management processes

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pyroclastic posted:

A phone call came in.
"We need you in the server room, there's a water leak"

Hurried over, and the custodian was using a carpet cleaner to pull water out of the hallway carpet next to the server room. Took a look inside, and thankfully, there's no water dripping anywhere; just some wet concrete by the conduit coming in through the floor.
However, one of the 4" pipes was completely full of water, and whenever it overflowed, it got onto the concrete and seeped through the wall to the hallway carpet. None of the other conduits have any water in them (and there's like 4 4" pipes and 6+ 2" pipes). It's helpfully labeled 'QWEST', but we have no idea where it goes, and there's one very thin cable and one thick black cable coming out of it. Couldn't grok the building blueprints to determine where they go to guess where the water is infiltrating from. We're assuming that the conduit broke and rainwater's seeping in, but we haven't had any rain in two days, so...

Custodian came in with a wetvac and she pulled like two containers worth of faintly-sewage-smelling water out of it (she said it was clear water, though); I'll check tomorrow morning to see if it's filled up again. I'm worried that if it rains really hard, it'll back up and raise the water level in the server room faster than it can seep through the wall, risking the server hardware.
I suspect we'll have to have some inspector with a CCTV pipe crawler come out to find the problem before a sinkhole opens in the foyer or something.

Could always try the tested method of cutting the cables and see what van shows up.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Weaponized Autism posted:

I think we have more VMs than employees at a relatively small company. We should just give every employee their own server, hand 'em out like Oprah.

I would prefer this over my situation where it has taken IT about three months to raise 5 VMs in Azure.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MF_James posted:

Well after reading more about covid-19, I am slightly worried, my wife has asthma and I have high blood pressure. I'm supposed to be traveling to the east coast in 3 weeks for work as well....

The company I work for has prohibited all non-essential domestic and international travel, globally. Check with your line manager and/or HSSE person - don't be afraid to suggest the trip should be cancelled.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Shut up Meg posted:

True dat.

A lot of films where the plot point was being stuck in a dead-end job don't work so well because these days, the viewer is jealous of the characters having such stable jobs.

There is also the concept of the 'orphaned employee', where someone's boss and/or team is fired and one person is left who is still on the books as employed, but nobody knows who they are and what they do. Really interesting concept, and is apparently something that does occasionally happen in large corporations.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ghostlight posted:

If pictograms threatening death for the opening of a sealed tomb were effective we wouldn't have the field of Egyptology.

This whole discussion reminds me of Terry Pratchett's Hogfather, in which the wizards find a boarded-up doorway with a sign saying 'Do not, under any circumstances, open this door' and they immediately open it to see why somebody wanted it shut so badly.

e: wizardsnipe

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
A ticket came in

code:
During an implementation global admin accounts got removed from thousands servers world wide. 
Impact access to servers for IT techs, Finance Team, (...) Services Group, (...) Developers, Engineering Tech Apps team 
and other teams have lost admin access to their License Servers, application servers. 
Also service accounts are impacted, therefore some applications could be impacted as well. This is impacting all domains.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MJP posted:

They migrated my wife's workplace from Lotus Notes to Outlook just last year.

We're still using it though only for a few minor things, not for email. Though I did find out that I actually have a working email address on the domain of a predecessor company that hasn't existed since three mergers ago.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Super Soaker Party! posted:

It's a great opportunity to remind people that as wonderful as "the cloud" is in some respects, it's still just a bunch of servers run by someone else, and if that someone else fucks up, congrats you're hosed too.

And remind them that yes there is an SLA in place, but in practice that just means you get a small refund on your monthly bill, not that your uptime will truly be 99.9% always.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

stevewm posted:

It amazes me sometimes how well stuff can compress...

I had a request to transfer 11GB worth of various CAD files from the computer of someone that was retiring to their replacement (who is in a different branch). It would have taken hours due to terrible upload speeds. So I ran 7zip at Normal against the entire folder. It compressed to 413MB. :stonk: Was not expecting that.

Edit: For comparison, the built in Windows ZIP handling compressed it to 3GB.

The main thing I take away from this post is that (presumably important) CAD files aren't on the network?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Bonzo posted:

Wait. He brought an export of his mail from his old job? I bet the bank's security department would love to hear about that.

Yeah that actually seems like something Legal should get involved in asap. I'm sure they'd love to hear all about confidential banking details now stored on the company's servers.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
2 as in 256, 6 as in 666, 4 as in 420.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

my cat is norris posted:

You have this entire forum cheering for your success and wanting the best for you. I'm so sorry that you have to face this nightmare scenario, but I do hope it's resolved quickly.

This

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sickening posted:

I have found that partnering with my finance folks has become an extremely effective tool for finding this nonsense where the tech is not. Want to get reimbursed for an azure tenant you spun up yourself? Ol sickening is calling you in teams. :fuckoff:

Hey that azure tenancy actually makes us money, no need to reimburse anything :smugdog:

It's also the companyname tenancy that our (outsourced) IT literally does not support because, to the best of my knowledge, it wasn't added into their contract when the last merger happened. That was 2 or 3 years ago and the situation hasn't changed since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
D. Send an email cc'ing all customers asking if it really is their information in the spreadsheet