Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

qhat posted:

Just found out today that the CEO offered my senior role to my report of 2 years industry exp, bypassing two layers of management who don't agree that the person yet has anywhere close to the technical or management experience required to lead this team. Not my problem I guess, lol.

LMAO 2 years is pretty good, my boss has zero years of experience and got the job for being drinking buddies with the ceo

on another note I've also put in my notice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Gazpacho posted:

view from the new job

same monitor(s) as me

it's not a very good model mind you

serviceable though

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Dirk Pitt posted:

hmm might be our current structure. but at 35 devs, engineering managers still have a lot of fingers in the day to day code on their respective platforms. if I ever get more than 5 people on my plate maybe it becomes a problem. but we also work in teams and I spend my job coaching my people to tell the product manager to suck poo poo (at times) if they have the data to back up their ideas.

I have an engineering manager who is only really managing me and maybe one other employee and never touches any code. Then again he's the aforementioned guy who's primary job is to be the CEO's drinking buddy, so maybe not the best example of functional management

he's not actually terrible as a manager though

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

'strong sense of ownership' to me sounds like some serious blame game goes on regularly at the company

not actually a red flag but that's what I'd think

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

the worst part about interviewing is that the payoff is having to go to work

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

ratbert90 posted:

For me it means everything from kernel drivers to the web front end.

Edit: And the systems stuff as well.

i do this too, though not in infosec which i guess is the crucial part

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

iospace posted:

And the courts tend to side with the employer in these cases.

If there were only some way to stand together against employers pulling out bullshit like "Work weekends and overtime without the extra pay" :thunk:

There's gently caress-all the union can do in these cases, anyway.

At best they'll pay for a lawyer for the already-lost case and maybe -maybe- will help prevent a negative reference.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

interviewing is going to be even more garbarge in the UK soon

Brexit plans: Four in ten tech companies consider move abroad

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Ciaphas posted:

personally i've put a personal moratorium out on trying to read sarcasm & irony in text anymore, i'm bloody tired of it

you're a lovely person mate

just absolutely lovely, congrats

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I don't have anything against you I couldn't resist

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

it's one thing to convert a random recursive function into an iterative one, it's completely another to do it for a fairly involved algorithmic problem (BST reversal)

if I was ever doing the latter as part of my job I'd definitely use google to help

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Scionix posted:

Just got my contract cancelled because I took two days off from work "on short notice" because I had a stomach virus. (I was also working 11-7 for this client to accommodate them)

I was running a 102 and had to get fluids at a doc in the box because I couldnt drink anything without throwing up.

Hopefully my real employer doesnt fire me now :thumbsup:

:capitalism:

as someone with pneumonia I feel bad for you, thankfully Europe is a little more understanding about things like that

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

we did Kruskal at uni, dunno I think it's a fairly easy one

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Hughlander posted:

Same drat bullshit all the loving time.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

is "ability to overcome naysayers and blockers to pursue management goals" among key capabilities a red flag

e: I'm tentatively going with yea but I'll apply anyway

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 16, 2019

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

it was sent by a recruiter among a bunch of other general things like "conscientiousness" and "great communication skills"

it does offer about 15% above market rate (for the UK outside London, which is, uhh, somewhat over 40k pounds)

the money is the main reason I'll give it a go, I can always drop it if it indeed turns out crap

edit: on a semi-related note I know H1Bs get treated badly but the money is tempting sometimes

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 17, 2019

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

frankly the whole ad is a bit shoddily written, I'd expect "excellent" communication skills or something, "great" seems out of place

anyway there's a lot of jobs out there, I mostly posted b/c I found it funny

e: I need to time my edits better, or stop posting when it's half past one

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 17, 2019

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Rex-Goliath posted:

netflix google

really should be FAAMG IMO

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I've been in almost exactly the same situation (well except for being the primary embedded SW developer, posted about it on here too, though I did work the period despite what people here said) and, well, best of luck. I'm fairly certain I'd have gotten sued too if I didn't work every last day. Worked one more day even to make sure everything is handed over and I get a reasonable reference.

Annoyingly they were forcing me to work unpaid overtime almost every day but that's apparently fine because try proving that and not get screwed over.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:45 on May 2, 2019

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Xarn posted:

e.g. in my country 3 months is 100% standard and it would be weird if it was different

In the UK it's not, it's usually 4 weeks, statutorily it's one week per year and only one week for the first two years from the employers side:

GOV.UK posted:

The statutory redundancy notice periods are:

at least one week’s notice if employed between one month and 2 years
one week’s notice for each year if employed between 2 and 12 years
12 weeks’ notice if employed for 12 years or more

though that is superseded by the contract

e:
for what it's worth Aramoro is in a management position in the UK, though he can be a bit harsh on developers

I wouldn't really want to work under him to be honest

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:40 on May 2, 2019

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Aramoro posted:

What? I'm a Software Engineer, I do line manage some folk but I'm not sure I'd call it a management position. I don't think I've ever been harsh on developers? I certainly don't intend it to come across that way at least.

Edit: Extra context, I've been sued for breach of contract by a previous employer which turned out to be an unenforceable non-compete clause. One thing you can't really do is ignore it especially if it's beyond a lawyers letter and to the point of them actually suing you.

it's just an impression I got from some of the things you've posted about the people you manage, I could be wrong, I'm sorry if it's offensive I didn't mean it to be

I suppose it's always different from the other side

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I've done an assesment like that for a grad scheme with Centrica (UK energy supplier, rather scummy in various ways) and I did the whole corporate stooge thing

after they've told me that they have all the engineering positions filled but they'd have a spot for me in the marketing department

suffice to say I went with a tech multinational instead

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

this is a bit lame and rather brit politics quip, still:

uncurable mlady posted:

this is the reddest flag

quote:

Then raise the scarlet standard high.
Beneath its shade we'll live and die,
Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer,
We'll keep the red flag flying here.

it works pretty well for places with terrible management

it's from the Labour party official anthem, "the red flag", which starts with "the people's flag is the deepest red"

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 15, 2019

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

(small or medium business)

always thought that was SME

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

jesus WEP posted:

it always applies

it does but the variation is more like ~20k at most. Though with the salaries averaging 40k or so that's still quite a lot

London is a bit higher

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

speaking of the UK I just saw a bank software dev job come up today which offers almost double what everyone else in the area does (>60k)

wonder how many applications they get, out of ~200 local software jobs on indeed they pay at least 15k more than the next closest competitor

I'll probably put in mine too b/c you know, hey

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

CLASS 2 PERVERSION posted:

is this close to london at all? just wondering what it's like

It's not but it's still in the top five for CoL. Honestly I was a bit shocked to see that salary, that's like management level normally.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

hobbesmaster posted:

how many software dev jobs are going to exist in london after they leave the EU? wouldn't the overwhelming majority of it go to dublin or wherever else the big banks are going?

A lot of the banking is actually international, the biggest one is forex which IIRC is a good chunk of the global market, also shipping insurance. The EU side of things is 'only' about a third

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

feedmegin posted:

British politicians did (given we're discussing No Deal). We are talking about bankers, talking to other bankers.

It's funny because May's "No Deal is better than a Bad Deal" was clearly intended as a negotiating tactic but caught a life of it's own and here we are.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Jimbola posted:

yeah i think the process needs to be reworked really. it seems that the recruitment flow here (UK) is:

1. 30 minute chat with non technical hr person
2. 4-6 hour take home test
3. talking to tech people/on sites if you get through step 2

it's way too early in the process in my mind. you're not going to want to invest 4-6 hours unpaid for just some job.

ideally they'd get you on site to do some kind of pair programming exercise/work on a real problem, but then i guess that would involve a bit of effort on their part.

Yeah this is my experience for the UK too, sometimes the test is on site instead but take homes are quite common. From what other people have told me assessment centres are used by some of the bigger companies as well, I've never had that misfortune yet though.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

feedmegin posted:

Hmm, my UK experience is usually - non-technical chat with HR person/internal recruiter; quick phone/Skype screen (an hour or so maybe) with questions to establish things like 'do I know how endianness works' or fizzbuzz or w/e; then in-person interview for half a day or so. I don't know if the fact that I'm not in London, or that I'm an experienced senior-level guy and not a newbie, make any difference here, though.

Could be, I only have a couple of years experience myself. Or it could just be anecdotal. For what it's worth companies without a lot of developers seemed better about it.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 10, 2019

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

iospace posted:

Also be on the lookout for recruiters that demand a .doc(x) file. Legit ones will simply cut your info out and put it on their letter head. Shady ones will gladly put things you didn't do on there to meet numbers.

I've had ones explicitly ask me to lie about my experience before.

I've had a recruiter do that to me with a PDF too sadly.

Granted there's a higher barrier to entry. Humm maybe I could try one of those programs which convert the text into an image.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

customarily your boss will give you better than two weeks severance, unless you are fired for cause

*Glances at a p.i.p.* yes and that is very difficult to do

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

apparently the job I was expecting an offer for last week had an internal candidate spring up at the last moment and they will get back to me with a yes or no on thursday or friday this week after they do some interviews. not much that can be done, they have to give internal candidates a fair shake or they complain later. serves me right for being cocky though.

Not to be too pessimistic but you might want to look for something else, depending on how big the company is. For a smaller one I imagine they'd have a hard time passing on an internal candidate.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Are they loving kidding me (abbreviated ad):

quote:

Embedded Software Engineer

DESCRIPTION

Successful candidates will:

Contribute to the development of a multi-threaded C++ embedded linux application for vital signs monitoring under an IEC 62304 based development lifecycle.
Work directly within an embedded linux environment
Support software QA activities by creating Unit Tests and documentation.
Prototype and develop microcontroller-based peripherals.
Work within an agile, multidisciplinary team, collaborating closely with Software, Hardware and Industrial Design colleagues.
REQUIREMENTS

Minimum Qualifications:

BA/BS in Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, related technical field OR equivalent practical experience.
Strong C/C++ programming and proficiency with programming for microcontroller targets.
Knowledge of basic electrical principles as they apply to embedded systems design.
Comfortable using DVCS tools such as Git or Mercurial.
Familiarity with common development tasks under a Linux environment including cross-compilation and shell scripting.
Excellent written and verbal communications skills.

3+ years of experience required.

quote:

All our contracts are based upon 6month FTC, with the opportunity to lead into a permanent role.

Job Type: Full-time

Salary: £24,000.00 to £28,000.00 /year

This is in central Glasgow, which is not that cheap of a place to live.

The worst part is that what with being a euro unemployed around brexit I am seriously considering it, it does fit me almost perfectly but ughhh.

Even my summer internship was like £32000/year, and that was ~8 loving years ago.

e: Seriously considering pulling the plug on this garbage country, like I can make more than that back in my loving native eastern europe. And I won't be paying 700 quid a month for a studio either.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 28, 2019

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

jesus WEP posted:

are you interested in moving to belfast because my company is looking for people and they pay a lot more than that, also belfast is hell of cheaper than glasgow

I might be, unfortunately my partner has phd offers from Glasgow and Leeds, so that makes it preferable if I could find something here. I honestly don't know

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Rex-Goliath posted:

it really blows me away how atrocious tech salaries are in london. what the gently caress, you guys

don't know what you mean, it's easy six figgies after tax

a decade

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Looking up the company on glassdoor they have only one relevant review:

quote:

I worked at XYZ for more than a year

Pros

Almost near to '0' pros

Cons

Bad management, bad team work, dodgy leaders. Not only me but my ex colleagues too felt like these guys from XYZ like to push responsibilities, ...

Don't currently have premium or whatever they call the paid version of GD so can't see the rest of it, but I imagine it's not very good.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Rex-Goliath posted:

All you need is an account in order to read all reviews and see salary data. It's 100% worth signing up for. Just use a burner email if you're paranoid

I have one, but I haven't posted a salary recently I guess? It says this:

quote:

To restore your access, we ask that you contribute. Write a Review or Add a Salary.

Maybe I can make a new account instead. I guess that would work.

e: did that, here's the rest of that review:

quote:

not understanding what are they talking about and their job. Engineers are more to LAPTOP WARRIOR/ EMAIL WARRIOR then practical jobs. Emphasize more on irrelevant topics rather then finishing up the job. Having tons of unrealistic schedules that the team couldn't catch up. On the outside looks professional but really dodgy when it comes to take up responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Close the company as soon as possible

sounds like a fun place to work

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Comradephate posted:

I've only worked one place that did bonuses.

w/r/t interviewing: pretty bummed, this place I have been going back and forth with for like, 3 weeks (because they are so slow to respond) isn't willing to move at all on total comp, so even though the job looks dope I am going to have to reject the offer.

could ask for better benefits maybe if it's not too terrible?

dunno