Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

sitting in a lobby or conference room waiting for orientation is not much of a burden

if they have you coming in early but orientation isn't until the afternoon, that'd be really weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Pie Colony posted:

goons are too insistent on NEVER saying a number first NO MATTER WHAT. there was even some person in this thread whose refusal to say anything salary-wise made a conversation awkward and unnatural and probably contributed to them not getting the job. if you know what you need to be happy, and you know the market rate, it's ok to say a number first

Yeah the key is that most interviewees don't actually know the market rate, and giving a number means you won't get that.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Submitted a resume on a nice looking company's official email, didn't get a response, got a recruiter contacting me on LinkedIn and it happened to be that company, unrelated to my resume submittal.

And now I'm working there.

I wish I knew about this thread during my job search though

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Two things

First, everyone thinks they're in that 5 percent you're referring to, but most people aren't

Second, if it helps that large a percentage of people you're damned straight I want more equitable pay, wtf

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

No, the reason is capitalist overlords.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

the talent deficit posted:

qhat is a moron who voluntarily took a job at a place notorious for worker exploitation despite being warned by multiple alumni what a shithole it was and still is

where, Amazon?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

FMguru posted:

the thing you should be pressing is the "search jobs" button on linkedin

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Why are you giving your expected salary? Or is this a counter for them giving you an offer

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

unpacked robinhood posted:

I gave a number first, don't hit me

So it went their number, you countered higher, and they told you to justify it? Eugh

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

This is one of the more benign questions. I've had interviewers ask me things like "why do you think your girlfriend is with you" and "what do your friends see in you?"

I might seriously ask to talk directly to the hr person again if someone asked this

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

I had an interviewer grill me on college for some dumb reason. #1 i graduated 14 years ago, #2 in a major completely unrelated to computer touching. I couldn't even remember any of the names of my professors. I played a lot of ultimate frisbee though!

But was your team name as cool as Brownian Motion??

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

The Management posted:

code coverage is a meaningless measurement like klocs

0% probably just means no tests whatsoever though which maybe is bad

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

good friend who knows how to make good resumes helped me through multiple revisions

I suggest having such a friend

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lol I left Gary Indiana out for a reason

Gary Indiana Gary Indiana Gary Indiana let me say it once again

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hughlander posted:

Don't forget the original... nbv4

Which led to this thing of beauty...

my god

I'm speechless

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Phraggah posted:

Thanks for being the voice of reason, thread. It helps to know I'm not a crazy imposter sometimes.

Knowing that there are people far, far more incompetent than you being paid is a good thing to know, except it also makes me sad for society.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

since having kids going into the office is like a mini vacation.

that feeling doesn't stop

source: I have a 4.5yo and a 1yo and it's really still true

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

So this is some unique rear end bullshit I’m going through. The person that made me the offer contacted me today and said that they put the wrong bonus percentage on the offer letter I signed. According to her my level is at a 16% bonus rather than the 20% I signed at. I’ve been working for 2.5 weeks and things are going well. This meeting was in person and nothing was written down and the “updated” offer letter was sent to my personal email instead of work email. I need to figure how to deal with this gracefully and firmly. My decision was made based on the information I initially received.

This is some bullshit and also seems like a legal situation. I don’t want to rock the waters since I’m so new but also gently caress off just eat it. The difference is 5800 bucks. Very heated right now.

Like, a signed and counter signed offer? The poo poo is that. This is for a yearly bonus target or like, a signing bonus?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

https://twitter.com/elliott_downing/status/1167162185832787968

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Guess they're on vacation!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

I'm a computer toucher, not a poet

"Because I love touching computers in these three ways this job entails" there done

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I mean literally "I'm a hard worker and company sounds like a place where that will lead to interesting work and rewarding development" isn't a terrible answer and requires no prep.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Wanted to use you as moonlighting??

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah if you're willing to pay half what you'd pay a local full time dev, you can get good not great work. I still hated working with the offshore folks, not even due to code quality, just having to wait a half day minimum before any feedback is really hard to deal with.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

buttchugging adderall posted:

My work still deploys coldfusion. Although we are pretty close to killing it.

And I wouldn't have an issue hiring a LAMP stack dev, I would very much focus on "can learn to read esoteric bullshit written by somebody else" as an immensely useful job skill.

Place I'm at right now the primary technical part of the interview was "read this code, tell me what's wrong with it" and "read this code, how would you make it better or redesign it" and it let me actually discuss how I do things and I nailed it and now I love working here.

More places should do that.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

qirex posted:

I will never fully understand the flyover logic of "leave super important req open for 18 months instead of increasing comp" but I don't have an mba

I mean the goal is to make money for the consultant and executives, not the company.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

everyone ready to solve Advent of Code problems with recursion, then?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

iospace posted:

What is this, a Haskell course?

I can't get if you're serious? If you are, it's just a series of programming puzzles the first few weeks of December with some tiny plot for kicks.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

iospace posted:

Taking the piss, mostly.

That's fine, just hard to tell!

Anyone got any suggestions what I should learn to do Advent of Code this year? Ideally a language where importing a drat text file isn't a monumental task.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Arcsech posted:

I’m probably gonna do it in Common Lisp. maybe rust if I can get the brain worms extracted before it starts

if you want a language that isn’t useless, Kotlin is pretty hot poo poo right now and is a pretty okay language, and you get the whole java ecosystem to go with it

sounds good yeah

I remember trying to do poo poo in scheme once and uh it didn't go well

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

That assumes that they were thinking of an actual useful implementation; bad interview questioners tend to be just throwing some algorithm at you and then criticising it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

PIZZA.BAT posted:

what’s the word for a secret test where someone is checking to see if you belong to their ‘in’ group? it’s at the tip of my tongue but i can’t remember

dogwhistle? :\

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

jesus WEP posted:

third interview today. i’m told is “just an informal chat that’s really an opportunity for you to ask more questions about the role” and lol if you think i’m falling for that one

what, is that code for "we've written up an offer and hope you're too flustered to negotiate"?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Poopernickel posted:

What if I want to screen the job and maybe sure it's not some lovely lowball?

I hate spending 15 minutes on the phone with a recruiter just to find out that they're trying to hit me with the ol' 5-figure discount

"I'm sorry, I can't take this call unless you can give me the salary range for the position you're recruiting for."

And then repeat that.

Pretend you're the recruiter.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

qhat posted:

reminder that you posted this exactly one week ago and that you now get to go in tomorrow and shove a resignation letter up his rear end. and also no more than 30 seconds after walking in the door.

and report back their reaction

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

wait what bridges were you supposedly burning

just...not staying there forever?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

actually this might be the perfect thread to ask from the other side

if I'm interviewing more experienced (like 30 years to my dozen) people for an architect position and I've got half an hour

I can't really do a complicated coding question in that time and those are poo poo anyway

what kinds of things would y'all ask? or on the flip side, what kinds of questions would let you properly show how awesome you are?

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Feb 19, 2020

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

MononcQc posted:

If you're interviewing someone who knows more than you do and their job is ostensibly going to be to explain poo poo to you and the rest of folks, find questions that looks into how they like explaining things. Pick a thing you know something about and something you know little about, and see what they can explain to you. I haven't tried it often, but it has saved me and my employer at the time when we hired an expert into some specific tech and it turns out the guy hated having to answer simple questions and just wanted to be left alone to do his thing, never understood that we were checking for how he explained things despite us saying we knew nothing of the topic at hand (we knew a little but not much), and eventually stormed off the interview and sent insult emails to the recruiters after the fact for having lost his time.

Cool, kinda what I am doing but that breaks it down into really concrete terms, thanks!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

carry on then posted:

nerds love to hoard trivia and lord it over everyone else

saying "i don't know" is a weakness to them

suddenly the "aes sedai hoard personal tricks" plot from wheel of time makes perfect sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

qhat posted:

That was the hiring manager who said that to me, in person over a coffee

Turns out they're not really particularly competent either