Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

Shinmera posted:

This is pretty embarrassing for me, but here goes anyway: I'd like to ask if anyone has some feedback about my style -- what you dislike and like about it, and if there's anything that confuses you or if you have any suggestions for improvements. I'm aware that style is something very personal, but I often get the feeling that I'm stuck in my own head too much, so I hope to get some new perspectives on things by hearing what others have to say about it.

If you're interested in lending a hand, an easy way to browse through my stuff is here. Also of interest might be this, which is an overview of my style development over the past few years.

You might want to start a new thread for this-it'll be easier for you to keep track of the feedback/critiques, and to have a discussion on the comments you're getting, instead of sifting through updates to this thread.

E: craypas and some boys

Theokotos fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
Someone up thread said they’re also getting into (cheap) watercolors; I’m having fun combining a cheap set with cheap brushes, graphite, ink and weird color sources (coffee in this case):

I suck at painting, but since all my class work is digital, having a physical medium to learn is a nice escape right now.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

...Jeff Goldblum?

(good poster, would hang on wall)

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

al-azad posted:

Yeah, he's the hilarious villain in Thor Ragnarok.

Ah, gotta put that on my movie list then-I was half asleep and my brain only computed the “Flash Gordon” part of your text

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

Spinster posted:

I love this. I always like when you have moving lights. A swiveling [?] police red light siren dillybob on top of a police car chasing a car thru dark streets might be fun.

Lol. Don't mind me.

Seconding the rotating lights, before the gif loaded I was expecting it to sweep in, left to right, and have a full frame of solid yellow. Lighthouses are very good no matter what, though

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

sigma 6 posted:

This is really cool.

Something about this arm anatomy is really bugging me but I can't put my finger on it. Muscles too defined? Defined in the wrong places for the angle? I want to the shading to be perfect before I paint the arm band back on.

From that picture I think the bicep on the closest arm might be slightly too low on the upper arm/too close to the inner elbow, and a bit too defined in comparison to the further arm

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

Al! posted:

slowly getting back on my feet

Glad you’re back, I hope stuff is getting better for yah. I always look forward to your pieces!

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
Yo thread, heard you liked butts. Here’s a leg day sniper.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
Tried to kill my stomach/anxiety with fast food, regretted it, drew a mom on a bag.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

MTV Crib Death posted:

trying to capture likeness with a grid

I think if I hadn't smashed her chin in, it would look a good deal like her. I also got the bridge of the nose all wrong which in turn ruined her right eye. Hard to see these things in the thick of it.

To my eye it’s not the chin, it’s the distance/curve from her brow to the tip of her nose. As mentioned above, add another set of blocks to your grid. Is the drawing digital or on paper?

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

Al! posted:

did this one for a trade in kind deal: i'm making them gifs they can use in their youtube music videos and they're trading loops i can use in an adventure game.

I am extremely excited to hear you’re working on an adventure game (maybe?). Promise to post here when it’s out?

Re the human form; I like the shading/detail on the spine, is the white angle on the right side of the head a nose or an ear?

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

School is stressing me out.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

Al! posted:

it kind of...... doesn't have a head in the original drawing lol....... i think next time i'll at least sketch out the shape of the head even if there's just going to be hair covering it. it resolves a lot better in the revision i posted however.

The revision looks better (the removed white bits were ears?). Although I think the body anatomy works, in that position the right arm would more likely be crossed in front of the body and grasping the railing in front of the torso-hair is difficult, having a skull/structure under it, even if unseen in final product, definitely helps to determine drape etc.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

Neon Noodle posted:

sigma

please

stop making people's noses too long.

Counter point: big long noses are good :colbert:

(Though I agree, for the faces sigma is drawing the proportions, particularly the bridge of the nose here, are off)

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

lofi posted:

Character design work for new comic, I love me some ink & wash.

This is lovely; using India ink for the wash?

Not a drawing, but the instant I finished school a group I’m doing pro bono design for started freaking out at me about missed deadlines (because they weren’t on top of their poo poo). Anyway, this is a sketch I’m waiting on a thumbs up on:

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
Futzing around in illustrator

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
Retooling some graphics from last semester for my portfolio, plus a bike sticker pack I’ll hopefully get done this summer.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

Sharpest Crayon posted:

There's also a caterpillar.

Oh my gosh, yesssss :kimchi:

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

The Dregs posted:

I am trying to teach myself how to use watercolor. This is my first attempt. Any of you guys have any advice or good resources? I am not entirely unhappy with it. The lute girl needs more blue to make her sink back a little, I think.

I like how intense you got the colors, but as an “also learning/messing around with water color” person, I’d say check out a bunch of YouTube videos of people painting in watercolor, and look at a bunch of finished watercolor paintings.

The main feedback id give right now is that water color is supposed to be built up and layered; here it looks like you maybe laid down an excessive amount of pigment from the get go, and didn’t do the layering part.

Also, USE WATERCOLOR PAPER. Holy hell, learn from my mistakes and always use the right paper.

Take all this with a grain of salt, as I am a horrible painter, I’ve just studied the history of it a lot. If you like the blobbier, more saturated style, you might have fun with acrylics?

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

The Dregs posted:

I did use watercolor paper, stole it from my daughter. I plan on watching some videos, anyone have any the recommend? I actually used watercolor brush pens instead of regular watercolor for most of it, I wonder if that caused the more intense look? I don't know, the entire medium is new to me. I actually enjoy the blobbier, saturated style, as you put it. So I might look into acrylics. And thanks for the info!

Simkaye, the lady who does coon comics, has watercolor painting videos on YouTube that are a good demonstration of built up washes that result in very vivid colors

Here’s one of a flamingo! https://youtu.be/afIRmCCSnYI

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

readingatwork posted:

Dumb question from someone who's never touched watercolors. What liquid is she laying down before applying the paints to get that soft texture? Is it just water or is it a medium of some kind?

Likely what nougat said, or possibly a commercially available resist (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resist)

Either way, the purpose is to keep an area “clean” of pigment. I haven’t worked w it personally, but understand the concept

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
Quick wake up sketch of wall eyed sales lady.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

Paperhouse posted:

Anyone got tips on drawing eyes from a photo? I think on the last portrait I did they were the thing that looked least like the picture, and they have a lot of detail that's difficult to get accurate for a noob like me. I feel like I have marked the corners of the eyes on the paper fairly well in terms of proportion and size and stuff, but feel a bit lost after that

Remember that an eyeball is, in terms of three dimensional consideration, a sort of rounded football shape; the corner will be the part closest to the viewer, then the iris, then the whites, if that makes sense. Basically, just take into consideration that it’s not made up of 2d shapes, but 3D ones from a certain perspective. The shape of the eye will also influence the shape of the lid, etc.

Edit: the CORNEA, not the “corner”, will be the closest

Theokotos fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 13, 2018

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

sigma 6 posted:

You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs.... or... you can't recognize what looks good without making a mess first etc.

You can’t make an omelette until you know what eggs are! Or something!

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

That “snail” :3:

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

d3c0y2 posted:

Hey thanks for this big constructive post.

I read it a couple of days ago but didn't have much time to reply. Was rather busy with some RL stuff. And yeah my portraits still ain't at a point were I'd say I don't need to learn anymore. Hell I don't believe theres any such thing as getting to a point were there's nothing left to learn.

I did a quick sketch of Jidenna (about 20 minutes) and then just less than an hour shading. Trying to focus just on observation and getting as close as possible. I spent a lot more time than usual on the construction phase this time around, though I still can't loving do hair.

The Sketch:

Shading:

Reference pic:

Looking back at this one and my last piece is solidifying my belief that I always seem to draw the eyes to big, specifically the height of them seems to be too long and gives it all a little cartooney appearance. This is a bad habit ive been aware of a while, but it doesn't seem to go away.

You didn’t shade the eyes (eyes are spheres wrapped in gross flesh) which, more than perfectly mimicking reference shape, is why it’s looking cartoonish/too big. The whites are purely negative space, thus making them seem larger than the darker/shaded background. Example:

You can see the sketches are roughly the same dimensions, but the left one has inner eye shading, and the right one, like yours, does not.

(I’m not saying one is “correct”, just letting you know its less that you’re not perfectly mimicking the reference, more you’re not representing how light reflects off surfaces)

E:
Future turtle neck:

Bug boy:

Half face:

Theokotos fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 29, 2018

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
Actually, with all the technical talk going on I had a specific question about drafting environmental sketches.

As opposed to bodies and objects that have very defined limits (faces tend not to extend past, you know, the head) I have trouble finding/defining the edges of 3D spaces/landscapes when I’m sketching. This in turn messes up how the objects and shapes in a sketch line up.

I’m less concerned with 100% accurate representation, more about convincing depiction of depth and space, as well as figuring out how to create an “edge” (or boundary)to a space I’m sketching as a life drawing?

I feel like the answer is “literally draw a shape with a defined edge, then sketch the space within it, using grid and guidelines to ensure accurate sense of depth”?

(Note: I rarely work digitally, so putting down guidelines is something I’ll have to make an active choice to line out w/ a ruler)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

Flavius Aetass posted:

Can I share my kid's?

:kingsley: