Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
ESA winter marathon is up and live for a week.

Schedule here: https://esamarathon.com/schedule/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Yeah, Retrothon is awesome, as is RGLtv in general. I see the schedule has a 3h30 DOScathlon race on the Saturday, looking forward to that one. :getin:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

And here I am, still stuck at the orange table...

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
F-Zero X - it's no GX, but it still feels awesome to watch
SNOLF - a pretty insane romhack take on Sonic
The Elder Scrolls Anthology - from Arena sewers to killing Alduin in under 2h
Gauntlet - coop is easily more annoying than helpful in og Gauntlet, curious to see how the run works
Touhou 14.3 - bullet hell is always impressive
Trine Enchanted Edition - I can't begin to imagine how the physics get broken to clear this under 25 minutes
VVVVVV - love the game and it never gets old to watch people who perfected it
Super Mario Maker 2 - mario maker races are always a great show, it's great to see the live adaptation to unknown levels
Zelda BOTW - category is "Any% blindfolded", that speaks for itself

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

On Monday there's a Duolingo speedrun. I have seen a lot of alternative stuff but that's the first time I see that one.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Catch the vod of Megaman 3 if you always wanted to see a demonstration of the technique known as teeth mashing. And yes, that's exactly what you think it is.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
PSA: ESA has a Meegah Mem 2 run going in an hour or so. If you have never seen it, it's... something...

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
New series: "IGN accountant reacts to speedrunners asking for fair compensation".

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Also Shmuptember on rgltv just started:

https://horaro.org/shmup/schedule
https://twitch.tv/retrogaminglivetv

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
"Shadowboxing" is a hilariously brilliant name tbh.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

And here I thought I was good at Tetris back when I started beating 9-5 for fun on the gameboy... The competitive Tetris scene is just unreal.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

a tea tree posted:

I have: a run in AGDQ 2024 at ~11am Eastern time on Monday (30XX, a Mega Man X & Zero inspired roguelite.)

Looking forward to it. That'll be 4pm here, plus whatever drift has built up, so convenient timing. I also still haven't managed to beat 30XX a single time...

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

MagusofStars posted:

I've never heard of this game but that sounds like a really interesting concept.

It's good! Plus levels are procgenned from a set of pre-made chunks, and there's a chunk editor, so you can enable community chunks in your runs.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I also lurked here for literally years before signing up

Posted on the Speedrunning thread. :catstare:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

ZeusCannon posted:

Are there any runs that people are really looking forward to?

Shovel Knight - Specter of Torment vs Plague of Shadows 100%. Were there two runners listed, I'd assume one runs Specter, the other one runs Plague, and it's a first to 100% race, but there's only one runner listed (MooMooAkai) so it's probably just one or the other based on a bid war. In that case, hope it goes to Plague with the bomb based movement. Wish my boy King Knight was in the running, but King 100% probably takes a while longer due to Joustus.

Gyromite - Game B - Dog Assistance looks fun if it's a trained doggo pressing buttons to control the pillars. :3:

Starfield any% I'm looking forward to, because Bethesda always has some insane exploitable bugs. Morrowind's Icarian Flight, Oblivion's skooma abuse, Skyrim's horse tilting... So curious to see what people have found in Starfield so far.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
On new schedule, the current run counts as "completed" with regards to the "show completed runs" button, which feels a bit off. Removing completed runs is convenient, but I'd rather the currently running one to be at the top.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Latest cheating drama with a blindfolded Alatreon fight in Monster Hunter which gets even funnier with an army of followers brigading Asmongold to promote their 'Queen', thus ensuring the run got some attention from actual blind runners: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugT5eLpuwMo

Karl Jobst is a big tease with that one though since this is only the first part, with the finale 5 days from now.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Rubellavator posted:

taking a page from ArfJason and not watching that

primarily because Karl Jobst is a nazi

Oh, thought he was just a reformed former twat, there's no reformed part?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

he spent years and years in rwhitegoose's discord while goose said things like 'we need a solution to the jewish question'. karl also bitched about not being allowed to use the n word.

he also got his start by writing pick-up artist books. he sucks.

Ugh, fair enough, I only knew the latter part.

pmcTRILOGY posted:

speedrun twitter also had some discourse the past week about drama youtubers making cheating videos generally being a scourge on speedrunning (especially as it appears on youtube)

not that cheating can't be interesting or well-covered, but there really are people chasing the perception that cheating videos yield the most views/clicks/whatever... and folks watching those videos, I guess

So that's an interesting bit, because character aside, that's something I thought of watching the video and Asmongold's involvement, with his related videos automatically linked on the side by youtube as suggestions. The guy is basically not involved, but still making an absolute mint just by existing, it's quite impressive. The runner fans brigaded him, so he made a reaction video. Cheating allegations came in, he made a reaction to cheating video. Runner did another run to debunk, he made another video. Basically he's a third party and gets a monetised video out every time one side of the argument says something. Streaming was a mistake. :psyduck:

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 24, 2024

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I just found the latest one (Monster Hunter) funny because of how low effort it is (you can see through the blindfold when the runner shows it beforehand...) and the whole self-feeding twitch/youtube loop that it generated. That's something HBomberGuy touched upon when discussing plagiarism and I found it interesting to see an example of it happening in real-time.

Some of those are interesting technically, not really in the cheater-exposed way, but in the how it was done and how it was proven. Trackmania was really good in that regards.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Dark Souls 2 marathon on https://twitch.tv/soulsspeedruns to celebrate the (best) game's 10 year anniversary. Schedule at https://oengus.io/marathon/ds2bday/schedule.

Very specific since it's a single (and magnificent) game, but it's neat to have all those categories being run back to back. Including a, uh, intringuing "stairless" category? As in avoiding all staircases? :confused:

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 15, 2024

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Bit of an underwhelming finish, but it's still a success in the end. And the conclusion even is kind of wholesome compared to the more usual speedrun drama.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Best outcome in the end: creator owned up, but stage still beaten.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
In that whole story, I saw Bombs5 mentioned multiple times but never actually looked it up. Did that now and wow, that first (and only?) human clear is insane. From my dumb outsider view, it looks a lot harder and more improbable than TTH :stonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh2F5ngZTIo

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Is it a regular run or one of those tutorials you're encouraged to follow step by step at home? My wife didn't care much for the Strider tutorial last time round but...

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
*remembers trying to find documentation for the typesetting software 'LaTeX' back in the days of the Altavista search engine, in the computer lab room where everyone else can see your screen*

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Weird, I watched a long video on NEStris speedrunning a while ago and I'd have sworn it was him, but I guess it was someone else. It's a pretty wild run at any rate, for a game which at first glance looks like it doesn't have an end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Found the Tetris video stuff I had seen in January on the NEStris killscreen (thank you Youtube history). Only 16 minutes, so easier to slot in as an appetiser for the 2h one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuJ5UuknsHU

I presume things have moved on since.